• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

help - where/how to find a trainer for a smaller barn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help - where/how to find a trainer for a smaller barn

So, my barn manager has asked me to help find a new h/j trainer since she does western pleasure. She says she is sick of hearing me complain about the string of beyond terrible trainers (I've been riding for 3 years! I've evented through novice, I'm a hunter jumper trainer! etc etc) we have had and that I should just pick the new one myself .

So the question: Where do you look for an up-and coming trainer, or someone who would be willing to train out of a smaller, less fancy facility, but still knows their stuff and has some clientele willing to relocate?

About the barn- to give you a better idea of what we are working with:

The requirement from the barn's side is that the new trainer must have some of their own clientele to bring in with them. There are some clientele at the ranch that are looking for a new trainer as well, so there would be prospective new business for the trainer.

The good things: Excellent care, the most astonishingly cheap boarding rates you have ever seen in so cal (er, prices removed, don't want to be construed as advertising, but trust me, it's ridiculously cheap). Several different barns and pen options. A large jump arena with jumps available to use. Jumps are not fancy, and could use a coat of paint, but are totally serviceable and safe. Pasture & limited turn out available too. Lots of shady trees, a creek, etc.

The not-so-good: Not Fancy. Not landscaped, groomed, etc. I wouldn't go as far as totally back-yardy, but definitely not your fancy show barn. Not in a super horsey area. Within an hour of several bigger show grounds (LAEC, camelot, earl warren, hansen dam) but about 45 minutes north of the more horsey moorpark/somis areas, and at least an hour north of LA. So quite a hike for most of the established trainers with clientele that seem to be more populated to the south of us.

TIA for any suggestions!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Finding an up and coming trainer or rather someone who is just starting out is one thing in Los Angeles. Someone with an established clientele is another. I think you will find that location is paramount. Most established trainers like you said aren't going to travel beyond the SFV or Moorpark. My trainer is very established and just set up a satellite barn in Malibu (main barn is in Orange County) and it took a year and a half to find a decent property. There were ample properties available in Ventura County and even closer (and were extremely reasonable!) but our interest was to be in L.A. I am not saying it's not feasible but I don't think it will be easy. In my opinion, I would decide if clients/boarders or a trainer is what is more important to your business and then advertise accordingly. Just my two cents.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bearhunter View Post
      In my opinion, I would decide if clients/boarders or a trainer is what is more important to your business and then advertise accordingly. Just my two cents.
      Unfortunately, it's not my business, I'm just helping out. A good trainer is the most important to me, but the requirement of the barn owner is that they be able to bring at least some clientele with them. Doesn't need to be huge numbers, but the BO wants someone who can bring in at least 3-5 horses. BO does not know much about horses and only sees the $$ aspect of things.

I know that this is sort of a needle in a haystack search, and was just hoping some COTHers could maybe suggest some ideas I hadn't thought of in seeking someone out.

ETA- where would you suggest advertising?

Thanks.

Comment

Obviously, word of mouth is going to yield the best results. However, I guess as far as advertising I would try the Chronicle and maybe Yard and Groom?

Comment

It is hard to know what to suggest without knowing more about the situation.

Is the new trainer supposed to bring 3-5 clients in exchange for simply being able to teach at your barn? (ie, all the board revenue goes to the BO while the trainer keeps lesson $$?) Will the trainer have to pay a ring fee to the BO in addition? If so, will there be a different split for existing boarders vs. new clients the trainer brings in?

Will the BO require (or provide) insurance? Will the BO offer the trainer stall(s) for free or reduced cost for their own horses (lesson horses or sale animals etc)?

There are lots of different ways to do this kind of thing but whether or not the arrangement works tends to depend on how willing both parties are to create a mutually beneficial situation. BO's who just want a trainer to feed them boarders with not much in return don't generally attract the best talent, particularly if the facility is not the sort of place that will attract active lesson/show customers. (Who, after all, are the trainer's bread and butter.)
          We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Go to local and rated shows and watch the schooling ring and the barns. You may see some smaller-operationed pros you like.

Bringing clients is fine, though you should know that no pro can live on 3-5 clients. If they have only those to bring with them, they'll need to be part time at your place. They (and your BO) have a clear understanding about the number of stalls they can control in the future so that either side can see this as a long term relationship.

Can your barn offer a string of school horses? That's another way a small pro can make ends meet.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
              It is hard to know what to suggest without knowing more about the situation.

Is the new trainer supposed to bring 3-5 clients in exchange for simply being able to teach at your barn? (ie, all the board revenue goes to the BO while the trainer keeps lesson $$?) Will the trainer have to pay a ring fee to the BO in addition? If so, will there be a different split for existing boarders vs. new clients the trainer brings in?

Will the BO require (or provide) insurance? Will the BO offer the trainer stall(s) for free or reduced cost for their own horses (lesson horses or sale animals etc)?

There are lots of different ways to do this kind of thing but whether or not the arrangement works tends to depend on how willing both parties are to create a mutually beneficial situation. BO's who just want a trainer to feed them boarders with not much in return don't generally attract the best talent, particularly if the facility is not the sort of place that will attract active lesson/show customers. (Who, after all, are the trainer's bread and butter.)
              As far as I know, BO gets board $$ (which again is pretty cheap, outside pipes are 235$ for a 12 x 24, 285$ for a 24 x 24, and I think 360 for a box with a run including shavings).
              Trainer gets all training and lesson $$ with NO cut to BO. No ring fees or any other type of fee, with a possibility of discounted trainer stall/stalls depending probably on amount of clients brought in (I am assuming here as this is what has been done in the past). Trainer must provide insurance.

While it's not the type of place to attract seriously active A showers, we do have a pretty solid group of regular lessoners that do local shows and would probably do more showing with a trainer that encouraged it. We have some boarders that would definitely like to put their horses in training but we don't have a trainer right now so they can't. The other trainer at the barn is a western trainer and has a pretty big group that do daily lessons, full training, and go to what I think are pretty big western shows (LA, paso robles, las vegas), so while we aren't fancy, we aren't completely out of it either.

Again, I'm just the middle man that wants to finally have a decent trainer!! We did have a good established eventing trainer for many years (I have been at this barn on and off for over 15 years! lol), and she had a very successful business out of our ranch, until she relocated several hours away.

Thanks

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                Can your barn offer a string of school horses? That's another way a small pro can make ends meet.
                Barn does not have school horses although there are a few privately owned horses at the barn that may be available for use through private arrangement with their owners. There are a few sitting around where the owners would love to have them getting ridden or leased.

Also, I know no trainer can exist on 3-5 clients, that's just the minimum the BO has put out there for anyone moving in. We have 2 18 stall barns, a 6 stall barn, a 4 stall barn, and probably a about 100 pipe corrals. It's probably 60% full so there is plenty of room for someone to expand a business.

Comment

List on Bay Equest and the SoCal version, SoCal Equest, I think.

Think about what made the facility popular in the past. It used to be one of the go to spots years and years ago. The last time I was there, about 8 years ago, the facility was "m'eh". not super attractive or enticing, but not horrible. I'm at a facility like that now, but the trainer has been there for over 20 years. It suits her.

The problem is that you are going to have a harder time attracting the kind of trainer you want to the type of facility that is offered...at least long term. You need a local, beginner sort of trainer or someone starting their business.
                  Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                  Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

The problem is that you are going to have a harder time attracting the kind of trainer you want to the type of facility that is offered...at least long term. You need a local, beginner sort of trainer or someone starting their business.
                    [/QUOTE]

I think this is what I was thinking exactly. I think a trainer with an established clientele is going to be tough given the facility and whereabouts. However, there are new pros that are very talented out there looking for a place to go. And I agree that socalequine.com is also a good place to advertise.

Comment

It doesn't sound half bad, really.

Lots of room and people who would like a H/J trainer. No obvious conflict with the western trainer, except perhaps for ring time.

A few horses around that could form the basis for a small school program. The trainer might not want to need more since training and showing would be their goal (I assume) and the schoolies are just there to help people get started.

Most important, inexpensive board that makes it possible for owners to even afford to keep a horse in training.

If I ever move back to Cali, I want this kind of gig. I like modest and mellow barns where people are hungry for learning and doing more, and don't feel like they're going broke to do it.
                      Last edited by mvp; May. 14, 2010, 07:21 PM. Reason: Well if you can't right write, ferchissakes....
                      The armchair saddler
                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bearhunter View Post
                        However, there are new pros that are very talented out there looking for a place to go.
                        I agree that this is exactly the type of person I would like to find. I don't need someone really established, I just want someone knowledgeable and GOOD. It's the BO's requirement of must bring in 3-5 horses that makes things tough when looking for someone just starting out.

MVP- I know! I don't think it's really all that bad, and it seems like it shouldn't be so seemingly impossible to find someone who would be interested. The western trainer actually has her own "western arena" and trail course, and then there is a separate english arena with jumps, so ring time is not a conflict.
                        Last edited by two sticks; May. 14, 2010, 02:51 PM. Reason: because i messed up with the quoting...

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                          It doesn't sound half bad, really.

If I ever move back to Cali, I want this kind of gig. I like modest and mellow barns where people are hungry for learning and doing more, and don't feel like their going broke to do it.
                          I second this. As a SoCal native, I would dig this type of gig. Why does she have to have clientele? Could you not do a roving trainer? Freelancer?

Comment

I still would go watch at local shows.

An example: I have a trainer friend in NY State who is educated, talented and needs a barn and local economy that will let her grow a business. She's honest as well as a good sport who would fit in just fine at your place. If the opportunity were right but she had to fill 3-5 stalls, I think she could do that with a couple of month's notice.

My point is that I think many pros can find 3-5 horses-- training projects, schoolies or client horses-- in a few months. They already have clients, lessoners and connections.

You should find my friend's West Coast twin and I think he or she is out there. Watching my NY buddy lease stalls in different barns, I know she'd want to make sure the BO made word-and-deed match. And the BO would at least would listen to a pro who asked for changes at the barn she thought were necessary to grow her business.

If those things are good-- the BO is realistic, honest and a business-like grown-up, and sees the trainer as a welcome addition that's a little bit of a joint venture-- I think the right pro will come.

But you find these people by watching the trainers at local shows. They'll win some, but that's not most important.

Listen to them tell their kids things that seem a little more educated than you'd expect for the level of the show or the fanciness of the horse.

You'll see horses-- fancy or not-- pack their riders around. The horse may be green, be a PITA on that day whatever, but you don't see these people using the show to have a big ol' training fight in the schooling ring. They usually have picked divisions and prepared their riders appropriately for that day.

See what the pro says to the riders after the ride and use it to teach them. If they are positive with their kids (and when they don't know you're watching) then you can trust this as "what you see is what you get."

Look at their spot in the barns or trailer and you'll see a lot of nice people-- families who come for the show and want to hang out. They seem to help each other holding horses, rubbing boots, whatever.

Tack may not be fancy, but you see stalls, horses and amounts of feed and water that look good to you.

When one of their students does well and you happen to be near by, congratulate them, say hi, and tell them you like what you saw. That's enough. They're response will tell you a lot about how professional they are. The good trainer knows she's always in customer service roll at a show, and it's not hard for the good egg to make the 15 seconds it takes to thank you for your good wishes.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Ditto what others have said about going to local shows to watch trainers. Maybe even talk to some of the established trainers in the area to see if they have any suggestions. They may have been contacted by someone looking for an assistant trainer position, even if they don't have an opening. Some barns have lost clients due to the economy and may have needed to lay off a person, or reduce their number of days.

Would a part-time person work? Maybe someone from the local area who could come in a few afternoons or mornings a week to augment their income.

It probably is going to be hard to get someone who can bring in 3-5 horses since the person you are likely to get could be starting out on their own (and probably not taking any of their former boss's horses with them) or coming from outside the area without any clientele. Might get someone who has a few project horses of their own that would at least add to the BO's income.

Are you a reasonable distance from Ventura or the southern part of Santa Barbara? Or really in the middle of nowhere in the mountains east of Ventura-ish??
                              The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Peggy View Post
                                Ditto what others have said about going to local shows to watch trainers. Maybe even talk to some of the established trainers in the area to see if they have any suggestions. They may have been contacted by someone looking for an assistant trainer position, even if they don't have an opening. Some barns have lost clients due to the economy and may have needed to lay off a person, or reduce their number of days.

Would a part-time person work? Maybe someone from the local area who could come in a few afternoons or mornings a week to augment their income.

It probably is going to be hard to get someone who can bring in 3-5 horses since the person you are likely to get could be starting out on their own (and probably not taking any of their former boss's horses with them) or coming from outside the area without any clientele. Might get someone who has a few project horses of their own that would at least add to the BO's income.

Are you a reasonable distance from Ventura or the southern part of Santa Barbara? Or really in the middle of nowhere in the mountains east of Ventura-ish??
                                BO says no to the part - time, have tried going that route already. BO is kind of a pain if you can't tell already . However BO is leaving at the end of 2010. And new BO will hopefully be current BM who is awesome and much more knowledgeable. Yay!

We are only 15 minutes (max) from ventura (I live downtown ventura and it takes me 11 minutes to get to the barn). About 45 minutes south of Santa Barbara, so not totally in the middle of nowhere.

I have trainers in both S.B and Moorpark that I used to work for, and they are keeping an eye out for me, if they come across anyone they know I am looking! Maybe I will get in contact with some of the bigger barns in the T.O./Somis/Agoura area and see if they have any suggestions.

I will definitely try to start going to some more shows and will look for circuits that I don't usually go to and see if I can find some new faces...

Thanks!

Comment

Word of mouth and Yard and Groom are my suggestions. I think the best type of person to advertise to is somebody looking to build up experience and a name. Look for somebody aging out of the juniors and looking to start their career as a pro. It sounds like a good place for an up and comer to create a little bit of a name for themselves.
                                  Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                  My equine soulmate
                                  Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Working...
                                  X