• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trainers, Attire, Jumpers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainers, Attire, Jumpers

I went to a show yesterday to take pictures and cheer on my barn mates and I asked my friend why everyone from our barn was showing in full hunter/eq attire(tan breeches, white shirt, and hunt coat) for the jumpers. She told me that our trainer(I'm new to the barn so I don't know the trainer very well other than to not cross her!) requires everyone to show like that for jumpers. My friend said if I showed up in a neat polo or even just my ratcatcher, the trainer would kill me! At my old barn, I could show jumpers in whatever I wanted as long as it looked neat and professional(ie nice polo, or nice show shirt), so this was kind of surprising to me.

Does anyone else have a trainer that requires "formal attire" for jumpers?

Yes, for everyone. Hunters and jumpers must be braided to an acceptable standard, jumper riders must wear proper show attire. No half pads on hunters or crazy colored shirts. Conservative and traditional all the way. Everyone is also encouraged to wear their jacket even if jackets are excused. Leave it off til you go in the ring, take it off when you come out.

Comment

Absolutely not! Then again when it 110* in the shade and humid it's heat stroke waiting to happen.

When we show indoors or it's not so hot I wear a jacket. When it's hot I just wear my show shirt (coolmax beats any kind of polo even with long sleeves).

My trainer just requires us to be neat, not conservative. She doesn't care if we ride hot pink pads with a matching polo and ear bonnet. She would make fun of us though!

I've never heard of requiring that jumpers be braided! at $50+ a day it's not worth it. The only time I go braided in the jumpers is when my horse is already braided for the eq or hunters. (I'm blessed with a horse that can jump the reg workings, the talent search or and AA or AO jumpers and be pretty good. Even though he's not an outstanding hunter it's fun.)

I think encouraging jumpers to wear shirts and jackets is awesome. But Requiring white and navy is too much for me. There's so many options... greys, browns, black, greens, blues... I can see not linking really light jackets, but all of the above can look great with the right shirt and the right horse, I don't see limiting riders to one color.
      friend of bar.ka

Comment

The only time I wear a polo in the jumpers is if its a schooling class (like clear round) in the middle of the week. If it's a division class a jacket is a must IMO. It just creates a better overall picture.
        Originally posted by JSwan
        Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
        Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Comment

That's ridiculous! Was it a local show?
          IMO if you are showing in Child/AA or lower, jackets are only necessary for large shows or the "fancier" rings, and full formal attire (white britches, etc) is only required for classics.

I get requiring jackets if they show in the the Jr/AO, but requiring braiding on an otherwise neatly turned out mount seems a bit much.

My trainer has never even mentioned a dress code- it's understood that students will dress appropriately (nice, conservative polo will suffice for local shows in the jumper ring).

Comment

My barn wants everyone to show in jackets, regardless of division. They also frown upon bright colored saddle pads or wraps in the jumpers.

I see no problem with wearing traditional show attire at a horse show.
            The best sports bras for riders are Anita 5527 and Panache! Size UP in Anita, down in Panache (UK sizing)

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with it (aside from the super, super hot days). I would do it myself at anything but a small schooling show.
              Originally posted by barka.lounger
              u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

I don't get the braiding if it's just doing Jumpers.

Other then that? It is her barn and her business so she may require what she pleases. If she gets results? Nobody minds that much. If not? They will leave anyway when they get sick of losing.

I have some concern with the "afraid to cross her" comment. One should respect one's trainer, not be scared of them.
                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

If she is requiring braiding and requiring that the rider do the braiding themselves, maybe it is to teach them how to braid??

Comment

I don't think my trainer really cares. But I always show with a nice show shirt (w/collar), tucked in, belt, show boots, and tan breeches. That's kind of what everyone else shows in at my barn.

Now braiding... that's another thing. I need that mane sometime!! LOL No one around here braids for the jumpers, even at HITS (well ok, maybe not "no one", but I haven't seen any braided). And at the local shows... well... I've seen braids... But not like real braids. Just braided. It was odd. At least they tried heh

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SquareOxer View Post
                      That's ridiculous! Was it a local show?
                      Yes, it was a one-day local show(although there ended up being over 100 riders!).

I think a the look of a neat shirt and jacket look nice, and I'd much rather see that than a color matched frenzy(ie hot pink polo, pad, ear net, wraps, etc--which I've actually seen at a local show ), but I was surprised when my friend said it was required by the trainer.

Comment

I love your trainer

You know, if it's midweek and a levels class, fine, wear your (neat colored, conservative) polo.

But I was raised that showing was, well, SHOWING. Which meant a ratcathcher and a jacket (and makes lovely pictures, which is what showing is all about, no?)

I think professionals who insist on traditional turnout are terrific, and always sort of think they must do other old school things well (like caring for the horses, developing them properly, avoiding gadgets, etc.) It is a BIG plus to me.

I show mostly in the eq these days, so I have a whole collection of coats in various shades of navy, LOL. Windowpanes, pin stripes, piped collars, you name it. Also have a whole bunch of pretty hunter coats that I seldom get to wear, but if I showed in the jumpers? I'd be there with my color buttoned up, jacket on, and looking like we were walking into the ring at the Invitational. I like dressing for the party.
                        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

My coach is very conservative, from the old school and absolutely requires that I wear a hunt coat in the ring for the jumpers. It doesn't matter if it's the grand prix or a baby jumper class. I only show rated shows with him so I don't know how he would feel about a schooling show. He also requires beige breeches, white saddle pad, leather jumping boots and yes, he appreciates if the horse is braided, although it doesn't have to be hunter braids. He also doesn't go for black stirrups or colored reins of any kind. Spurs and a whip, hair neatly put up, ratcatcher buttoned. If it is hot out, I will ask him if I may school without my hunt coat and put it on before I go in the ring.

He gives me expert help and I feel very lucky to be able to ride with him so I do not mind a bit!
                          "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
                          -H.M.E.

Comment

My trainer does and I'm glad. I agree with whoever else said that showing is SHOWING. I don't think the heat/humidity gets much worse than in Texas and I show in a jacket every time I show. IMO, it's professional looking, and you want to represent your barn well. We don't braid and are an all jumper(no hunter/eq) barn, but I don't think that's bad. Though if it were up to me we would all be braided

Comment

When I trained and rode on the A-circuit, we were expected to "dress" for jumpers. I never had a problem with it. Made for better pictures.

And, actually, Eventers dress for show jumping...just so ya know...

But, I have been known to wear a polo shirt at the local level.

Seb
                              Aca-Believe it!!

Comment

I had one trainer who insisted on full dress for all classes.

These days, I'm with someone more relaxed, but I still dress up unless it's absurdly hot out. Otherwise, I'd never get a chance to wear all my fancy show clothes.

Comment

I usually wear a polo (usually white or a barn color...I'm not a fan of those loud colored monstrosities) the first day or two and wear my ratcatcher and coat Fri, Sat, Sunday. Of course, I just got a new hunt coat and have been dying to wear it, so unless it's beastly hot at the next show, I'll probably sport it all week
                                  Equestrianism
                                  Photography

Comment

I'll go either way on that. Students can wear a full outfit if they want or go with the flow and wear a poloshirt. They are not however allowed to wear anything outrageous and will not ever get in the ring with hotpink matching saddleblanket and polos!

For myself I'll normally just wear a poloshirt but if I need good pics or a video I'll wear my coat.

Sometimes I'll wear it anyways just becasue I spent a lot of money on it and it's nice to get some of it back!

I'm moving to Europe this summer and over there we always show in full outfit and white breeches. If it's raining we are usually allowed to wear a raincoat and if it's ridiculously hot we will sometimes be allowed to leave the coat.
                                    They (at least used to) sell little bibs that would mimic the look of a showshirt but just strap around your neck so we could wear a t-shirt or even tanktop under our coats if we wanted to. If it was hot enough to show sans coat though we had to wear a real showshirt but it could be shortsleeved.

I think seeing all the whites will take some getting used to again, tan just seems like a much more sensible option. Outside of that I kind of look forward to get some good wear of my coats again.
                                    Timothy, stop lurking

Comment

Actually, not to disappoint, but formal attire is no longer required for eveners at events running all three phases on one day.. we can do both dressage and sj in polos. Here in the midatlantic we've also seen a trend of running our xc phase right after our sj, so folks will wear xc gear (typically a polo, sometimes a xc vest) for sj as they are going directly to the start box.

I love this trend as it allows us to dress like athletes.
                                      The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
                                        I love your trainer

You know, if it's midweek and a levels class, fine, wear your (neat colored, conservative) polo.

But I was raised that showing was, well, SHOWING. Which meant a ratcathcher and a jacket (and makes lovely pictures, which is what showing is all about, no?)

I think professionals who insist on traditional turnout are terrific, and always sort of think they must do other old school things well (like caring for the horses, developing them properly, avoiding gadgets, etc.) It is a BIG plus to me.

I show mostly in the eq these days, so I have a whole collection of coats in various shades of navy, LOL. Windowpanes, pin stripes, piped collars, you name it. Also have a whole bunch of pretty hunter coats that I seldom get to wear, but if I showed in the jumpers? I'd be there with my color buttoned up, jacket on, and looking like we were walking into the ring at the Invitational. I like dressing for the party.
                                        Exactly. Look like you're in it to win it.
                                        Dina
                                        www.olddominionsaddlery.com
                                        http://www.facebook.com/olddominionsaddlery Like us on Facebook!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X