• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

After PPE, how to say I'll pass??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After PPE, how to say I'll pass??

So, I just had a PPE on a horse and it wasn't what I wanted to hear for my hunter prospect. How much information do I tell the owner, do I go into all the details that the vet told me or do I just say he isn't suitable for my needs? It's too bad since he was a cutie and I did really like him. I don't want to be negative when I talk to the owner but I'm sure she'll ask why.

Originally posted by Dapple Dawn Farm View Post
    So, I just had a PPE on a horse and it wasn't what I wanted to hear for my hunter prospect. How much information do I tell the owner, do I go into all the details that the vet told me or do I just say he isn't suitable for my needs? It's too bad since he was a cutie and I did really like him. I don't want to be negative when I talk to the owner but I'm sure she'll ask why.
    You should absolutely release ALL of the vet records to the owner of the horse. You don't have to say what you think about them, just

"After the vetting, I have decided this horse is not for me. I have made sure to release all the vet records so that you have access to them as well. Thank you for your time."
    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Well, I am sure she would like to know the reason, but that's up to you. I had one not "pass" the PPE because it was three once. Well, ummm, yeah, I told you it was three. Would have made for sense for them to just say she isn't the one.
      Trinity Hill Farm

Comment

The information from your vet is yours, not the owners, BUT if you want to give them this info, it would be generous,so they at least know what issues he horse has on a PPE.
        http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

Yes, its very nice to release the vet records to the owner of the horse- but there is no obligation- you paid for the exam and it is yours and your vets. You simply call and let them know as a result of the exam you have decided that it isn't the horse for you. See if they ask any follow-up questions. If you want to share more, you can- otherwise just politely get off the phone.

Comment

Agreed on the last two posts. You paid for the information, you are not required to release that information.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

I don't understand what benefit it is to the buyer to refuse to divulge the vet records to the owner of the horse. Yes they paid for it and it is their "right" but why on earth be so assinine?

You don't have to get into your PERSONAL interpretation of the records (i.e., exactly what it was about them that broke the deal for you), but it is mere courtesy to release them to the owner so that they know what is going on with their own horse and can represent him better to other buyers. IMO it is no skin off the buyer's back AT ALL; but maybe I haven't thought of something and someone can explain a situation where it would benefit a buyer who is passing on a horse anyway to keep a stranglehold on the records, or it would harm a buyer who is passing on the horse anyway to release them?
              ???

And for what? So that the next buyer can do the same exact vetting and find your exact results which the seller didn't know about because you didn't release them? Or the seller has to go vet the horse a second time on their bill so that they can try to figure out what the problem was before continuing to market the horse?

For this reason from a seller's perspective, I insist that buyers agree from the outset to release the records to me. That records release gets signed before the horse trots one step down the driveway.

Comment

You aren't obligated to release the results, but it is nice to do so. And something to consider is "would you buy him at SOME price based on the PPE?" If so I'd say, "I'm sorry, but based on the PPE, I'm afraid I have to pass. It's too bad, because I really like him, but based on the price I just can't justify it. If in the future you decide to reduce his price down to around "X" please give me a call. Here are copies of the PPE so you have the information I based my decision on." If you wouldn't want him at any price, then I'd just say the first part, and give them the copies of the PPE and thank them for their time.

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                  I don't understand what benefit it is to the buyer to refuse to divulge the vet records to the owner of the horse. Yes they paid for it and it is their "right" but why on earth be so assinine?

You don't have to get into your PERSONAL interpretation of the records (i.e., exactly what it was about them that broke the deal for you), but it is mere courtesy to release them to the owner so that they know what is going on with their own horse and can represent him better to other buyers. IMO it is no skin off the buyer's back AT ALL; but maybe I haven't thought of something and someone can explain a situation where it would benefit a buyer who is passing on a horse anyway to keep a stranglehold on the records, or it would harm a buyer who is passing on the horse anyway to release them?
                  ???

And for what? So that the next buyer can do the same exact vetting and find your exact results which the seller didn't know about because you didn't release them? Or the seller has to go vet the horse a second time on their bill so that they can try to figure out what the problem was before continuing to market the horse?

For this reason from a seller's perspective, I insist that buyers agree from the outset to release the records to me. That records release gets signed before the horse trots one step down the driveway.

Agreed... Why would anyone choose to keep the results to themself? Ridiculous... Just because its YOURS and YOU paid for it?!

Please...
                  www.millcreekfarm.net
                  **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

Comment

Well, one time I passed on a horse due to PPE findings, told the owner what the vet found, and she argued with me that it wasn't that bad of an issue and/or the vet was wrong. After several calls I firmly told her that both MY vet and MY trainer, who I pay for advice, were advising me to pass and that was that, but it was really a pain of a situation.

So if I was in this situation again I would just give the minimum info, "based on the PPE I've decided not to buy the horse". If the seller asked for access to the records I'd give it, but I'm not offering up information again.

Comment

A friend of mine was selling her horse. The buyers did a PPE, and the vet said the xrays showed he had ringbone (5 year old). The buyers declined, but did release the vetting results. My friend then took THEIR xrays to her vet to review. He said clean.

A few months later, she ran into the buyers who still had not found a horse. She mentioned that HER vet said there was no ringbone, diagnosing from THEIR vet's xrays. They agreed to forward the xrays to Morven Park to have them evaluated. Morven Park said there was absolutely no sign of ringbone or any other problem.

SO, the original purchaser was able to buy the horse with very little extra cost because they were decent people and released the vet finding.

If they won't help you, they may help the next buyer. Someone else's vet report on the horse YOU are interested in may save YOU a lot of money.

What goes around comes around.

Comment

I believe the PPE results should be public, in so far as letting them know what was found. Now as to whether you should release records, xrays etc, that is up to you but I would be quite irate if someone simply said I won't take him based on PPE. The reason being that, the horse is for sale, if there is some underlying condition, it would be nice to know so that another vet can followup and verify it or treat it. Also, I have seen one vet say something was HORRIBLE on a PPE and another vet find absolutely nothing! I see no reason to not disclose the PPE results verbally, not anymore than I see no reason for a seller to not disclose issues.
                        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

I had a couple of horse fail a PPE and always gave all info to the seller, including x rays.
                          One horse I vetted failed and the owner had no idea the horse had a problem. Her vet confirmed it and the horse was sold as a pleasure horse, instead of a jumper.

Comment

I would release the PPE records too.

I like the idea (as a seller) of requiring that and think I will add it to my contract--thanks!
                            DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well now, I hate to be the devil's advocate but some sellers may not want to know what is wrong with their horse. You know - seller's disclosure kind of thing.

Comment

What difference does passing along the info make if you've decided to pass? If YOU were the seller, would you want them? It goes back to the Golden Rule - treating others as you'd like to be treated. It isn't like you gain anything by NOT giving them the results, and you could save someone else the heartbreak you're trying to avoid.

FWIW, if you get a PPE in this area, the owner has to sign off on it. I imagine that they'd thusly be able to access the results as well.
                                A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Vet records...

Well.... after having had several friends and clients pass on horse after horse because of 'failed' PPE, I have to say it is difficult to keep paying for comprehensive veterinary evaluations on other people's horses.

Yes, a vet exam can be incomplete or wrong. Myself I have had the supposed 'same view' radiograph come up very differently when shot by 2 different vets one week apart. One vet did not get the angle quite 'oblique' enough, and the image did not show quite a significant (or two) spur.

So any PPE is subject to either inexperience on the vet's part of just plain human error.

BUT I do feel that if a seller wants the results of a PPE on a 'failed' horse, then they should pay the bill. Buyers shell out $1000 - $2000/horse/comprehensive exam in my neck of the woods. And repeatedly gifting medical diagnostics on other people's horses (those other people, by the way, often do NOT have a recent similarly comprehensive exam report to offer to buyers. They prefer to let potential buyers pay for that privilege.) is, umm, annoying, at best. And it can make the potential buyer feel victimized, at worst.

Sellers are perfectly free to complete a comprehensive, radiographs included, exam on their own horse at anytime.

Far enough up the food chain, it is more common for horses to come with recent vet exam information. Hell, plenty of owners of 6 figure horses do radiographs on their horses every 6 months just to 'keep an eye' on things.

Lower on the food chain, owners can't afford this. So they let buyers take their own chances. Fair enough. If I've got a horse I've been riding for several years that's never been lame, sneezed, coughed, or flicked an ear, then I'm not going to pay for an exam to offer buyers. And I probably won't care what shows up on the exam, because whatever it is the horse has been doing the job without problem.

But I think that it is fair that sellers also 'take their own' chances and realize that what they do not pay for does not belong to them. Often prospective buyers will share information. But I don't agree that sellers are entitled to property paid for by potential buyers. If they are entitled to the results, then in my opinion they are entitled to the bill as well..

I have dealt with all versions of the buyer/seller/agent scenario. And one of the fastest ways to get in BIGGEST trouble is to have presumptions/beliefs about what the other party 'owes' you, 'ought' to do, what would the the 'right' thing, 'honorable' thing, etc.

Have agreements/contracts on all facets of the interaction, otherwise, you never know what the other party's reaction to a 'bump in the road' is going to be.

OP - You can make your best judgement about the 'mindset' of the seller, and tell them as much as you want to. BUT Keep in mind that the seller is going to be receiving unwelcome news, and you don't know what their reaction will be. The safest route is to say the least.

"Thanks for your time, but I think I'll keep looking."

It is sad but true that emotions and egos run hot and rough in the horse business, so good luck.
                                  "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
                                    Yes, a vet exam can be incomplete or wrong. Myself I have had the supposed 'same view' radiograph come up very differently when shot by 2 different vets one week apart.

So any PPE is subject to either inexperience on the vet's part of just plain human error.
                                    So you say that a vet exam can be wrong - inexperience, or human error.

and THEN you say this??

BUT I do feel that if a seller wants the results of a PPE on a 'failed' horse, then they should pay the bill.
                                    So why would a seller pay a bill to a vet that is not of their choosing, and they may not have any confidence in that vet?

If a buyer releases a report, then the seller can at least have their vet check the questionable area out to see if they agree or not. Otherwise they would have to go on a whole body fishing expedition, and may never find what the concern was, especially if just plain "wrong".

Comment

Well, I don't allow a PPE on a pony UNLESS a signed contract states that I have full disclosure of all findings. It is the buyers choice to exray or not or do other expensive tests... many of which most breeders might not do on a regular basis on all their stock. If a vet finds a problem with one of my ponies, you can be assured that I am the FIRST person that wants to know about the problem, address the treatment if possible and find a solution. How is it beneficial to the potential buyer and certainly the horse or pony in question to keep the findings a secret, regardless of who paid for the exam?
                                      Quicksilver Farms, LLC
                                      "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
                                      Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
                                      Fancy Show Pony Prospects
                                      www.quicksilverponies.com

Comment

Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
                                        But I don't agree that sellers are entitled to property paid for by potential buyers. If they are entitled to the results, then in my opinion they are entitled to the bill as well..
                                        OK.

Well then they can also pay me for grooming and tack up, a day lease fee on my horse (property paid for BY ME) they have used on their trial day, AND throw in my hourly rate for the lesson I inevitably end up giving them when they show up without their trainer.

Comment

Working...
                                        X