• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question For Gymnastics Gurus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For Gymnastics Gurus

I had written some gymnastic exercises on a piece of paper that my daughter decided to use for scissor practice and though I've taped it back together as best I can I'm still having some difficulties figuring it out.

What I have is 3 bounces set at 9' and then 28' to an oxer and then 28' to 3 more bounces. Does this make sense? Is 9' enough for a big-strided horse and isn't 28' a little too long?

The exercises are specifically to get the horse to pick up her knees and round through the back and neck.

I am not a guru, but those numbers are correct and will get those knees snapping. Have fun, and be glad that she practiced on paper and not her hair like mine did!
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

Originally posted by EAY View Post
      I had written some gymnastic exercises on a piece of paper that my daughter decided to use for scissor practice and though I've taped it back together as best I can I'm still having some difficulties figuring it out.

What I have is 3 bounces set at 9' and then 28' to an oxer and then 28' to 3 more bounces. Does this make sense? Is 9' enough for a big-strided horse and isn't 28' a little too long?

The exercises are specifically to get the horse to pick up her knees and round through the back and neck.
      Is the 28' supposed to be a 2 or a one? I ask because a one should be 18 feet, which could have been easy to mistake when piecing back paper, while a 28 would be mighty short for a 2 (a normal one stride is 24 feet)

My rule of thumb is that you take 6 feet off of the normal distance if trotting in or if following a bounce, 3 feet off if cantering in or if it is the second section of a gymnastic.

In this case I would likely set that 9 feet for the first set of bounces, 18 feet or 30 feet for the one or two stride, 19 or 31 feet for the next one or two stride (I would keep this tight since you're coming up to bounces again) and I might lengthen the bounces to 10 feet on the way out.

You could set this with all the distances the same so it can be approached either direction, but it definitely would ride more technical. With a greener horse or rider or one new to gymnastics, I would probably set it as described above so it rides a bit smoother. I would tighten it up later.

Hope that is helpful!
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

I was wondering at what height the jumps start (bounces and oxer) and how high can you set them.
        "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Nikki^ View Post
          I was wondering at what height the jumps start (bounces and oxer) and how high can you set them.
          I'm not sure how high you can set them but when I was taking a lesson with an event trainer, by the end he had us doing a cross-rail to two 3' bounces to one stride to a 3'9 oxer, though we didn't have any bounces on the other side. I'd say when we started the bounces were set at about 2'3 and the oxer at 2'9.

I guess it would depend on how athletic the individual horse is and it's a good reason why it's best to do these sorts of exercises with a competent trainer. I'm sure on my own I never would have set the jumps this high as I had never really done much over 3' with my green horse but she did really well with the exercise.

Comment

yeah, 28' sounds long, if for no other reason than the gymnastic standard is a 1 stride to 1 stride gymnastic is 18 followed by 21 (trot in to the 18, of course). And a 1 stride on an open course could range between 25'6 and 27', with the 27' being for an open gallop at 4'0.

BUT jumpers like to create some package and get to the base, so you could crate that with a 28' 2 stride maybe? Not so much for a hunter though...
            Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

If you're not entirely sure, a good place to start is by setting ground rails or x-rails instead of actual jumps and adjust as needed.

This will also give your horse a chance to figure the exercise out before it gets tougher. Once you've built up all the elements you will be able to just go straight throught it but if your measurements are off, skipping through a set of x-rails won't be that big of a deal (and will train her in handling a bad distance too! LOL)

There will be some variations in how you set your exercises depending on the horses stride and experience.
              Even with a known plan, I like to sometimes just balance the rail on the cup so it comes down easy, speacially if it's a less experienced horse. That way he won't get in too much troubble if he doesn't figure it out right away.
              Timothy, stop lurking

Comment

generally you adust the distance when the umps get above 3'6"... 28 is a two stride. (18 ft is a one, 28 is 18 + a 10 ft stride... yes it's short, but the bounces will take away length of stride.) To be safe have a helper there and build the exercise as you go. Start with just the bounces. Then add a small verticle at 28 ft. (or even a pole on the ground the first time). Adjust the distance if necessary, add the first element of the second set of bounces, and then, finally build the bounces. Finally make the oxer bigger. (remember if you make it wider, you have to adjust your distances.

Comment

I can tell you that doesn't sound right to me at all.

As an example I presently have this set,

bounce, 2 SHORT strides to an oxer, 1 stride to a vertical.

It is set at 12', 26'.6", 19' and the heights are 3' vertical, 3' vertical, 3'6" oxer, 3'6" vertical.

This is on a big strided horse as well and you better get in slow!
                  Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

You can even ride my gymnastic if you like.... on the helmet cam! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvSa8ERlo9w

LOL.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post
                      bounce, 2 SHORT strides to an oxer, 1 stride to a vertical.

It is set at 12', 26'.6", 19' and the heights are 3' vertical, 3' vertical, 3'6" oxer, 3'6" vertical.
                      I trust your measurements but that last distance seems awfully short. I'd be worried that my mare might try to bounce it.

Comment

If your mare bounces it you're not riding it correctly.

Comment

I'm riding this exercise on a 5 y.o. 17.2 hand WB, he has no trouble with it, nor does my 17 hand TB.

We did this same gymnastic at the GM clinic in April and all the horses did it fine in all the groups, at different heights of course.

The only way you're going to bounce that is if you do a 1 in the 2.

Comment

however, I'm guessing you would not ride that gymnastic like a flowing hunter gap type ride. The 18 to 21 is about encouraging basic jumping skills or tuning up on hunter form, but some gymnastics can be to teach the horse to find the base and rock back. If you ride them the wrong way, you may well get the wrong result.

So I guess the most important question you should ask yourself is "what do I want the gymnastic to teach my horse or the rider?" Then you will probably find the gymnastic or measurements might change! Tidy's gymnastic would be bad for my older hunter, but was exactly what the other - now sold - horse needed.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by DMK View Post
                              So I guess the most important question you should ask yourself is "what do I want the gymnastic to teach my horse or the rider?"
                              These exercises are for a hunter so tuning up hunter form is definitely a prime objective. She can be a bit lazy so I like doing bounces to encourage her to pick up her knees. Unfortunately with my current trainer we rarely do bounces so I'm on my own as far as they go.

At the same time I also want exercises that encourage her to rock back and compress her stride as her default mode is long and low.

Comment

• Original Poster

Is the difference between Mac123's 9' or 10' and TR's 12' the difference between trotting and cantering in?

Comment

Originally posted by EAY View Post
                                  Is the difference between Mac123's 9' or 10' and TR's 12' the difference between trotting and cantering in?
                                  I tend to set 9'-10' for trotting in and 11'-12' for cantering.

IME, setting at 11 or 12 for trotting in takes away from the point of the exercise.

On Saturday for a student's horse that leans, leans, leans on his shoulder after fences, I set 9' to 18' to 9' - Bounce One Bounce. That second bounce was quiet, but wow did he stand up afterwards!!!
                                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

Most likely, but I will even push a trot in closer than 9' if I have a horse that likes to cheat with that canter/hop stride at 9'0. Then again, if the horse is a bit of a klutz and easily scared, that might not be a good idea.

For a hunter, let's just say most people believe they have good form and if they don't you are not significantly going to change it. But if I had a horse that I wanted to tune on for tightness and being a bit tidier with the front end I usually choose very steep Xs with 9 foot take off/landing poles. Think Xs with poles in the top cup and the standards pulled in so the lowest part of the X is at least 2'6. And sometimes an X to an oxer - 18' but use a super skinny oxer with the front element about half as high as the back (this is more for an out at least 3'0. Not so much an oxer as a vertical with a bit of a cheater pole to help them get the front end up. I might mix both these in while riding the adds on the line and being very supportive going out the oxer so he has a chance to rock back. Then I would hope and pray he remembers all that when we ride on down to the gappy forward "huntery" one.

Now that I said all that, that's assuming the horse is not sharp with his front end even when he gets there correctly. If he is not sharp with his front end because he ends up on his forehand at the base, then there is a whole 'nuther set of things I would add to the mix, probably including Tidy's gymnastic and a slew of flat work.

LOL, so now we will add - what do you want out of the gymnastic and what is the root cause of the problem?

Comment

I recall a video, I think of a Jimmy Wofford clinic, with a similar set up, though I didn't know the distances. I remember thinking that whatever rhythm and pacing issues you horse might have, that would cure it.

As a help for snapping knees, I am not so sure. That many jumping efforts is about controlling pace. Decide why his knees aren't good. Mine tends to jump up with his neck, so I like low wide oxers as the question. I do a step rail to an x, then 17' to a wide oxer. The shorter distance forces him to the base, while the wide oxer makes him stretch.

If it just takes him longer to get his knees up DMK's rampy oxer would be the question. If his lack of straightness allows him to dangle his legs, DMKs big Xs and swedish oxers are the question. If the rest of him is good and he just dangles his knees, give him a different job, because that's his jumping style.
                                      You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                                        If the rest of him is good and he just dangles his knees, give him a different job, because that's his jumping style.
                                        BTDTBTTSTH ... been there done that, bought the t-shirt, sold the horse.

But damn, I tried for a very long time to change the horse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X