• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

at a loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at a loss

So recently Ive been giving my moms friends daugher lessons. Just teaching her the basics on how to ride. However she is a very skitish when it comes to the horses.She was doing so good though and being so brave and was getting really stong and handling riding very well. So we entered her in her first show. She did GREAT! and the horse she rode was so well behaved. However while we were at the show it was raining and cold and a couple horses were not behaving. While she was there she saw people fall horse spook and what not.

So she rode today (a week after the show). She was so scared and histerical that the horse she was riding was going to act like the other horses she watched freak out. We honestly do not know what to do. We tried explaining to her that she is ok and her horse wont hurt her. We tried proving to her that she can trust him and everything. I seriously can not think of a way to build her confidence and prove to her she is ok. She is just so scared. I feel bad cause she really wants to ride and loves riding she is just scared.

What do you think i should do? Have any of you ever had this problem? I am open to many suggestions. I really love this girl and I want her to ride and have fun and not have to be scared.

Well, the truth is that her horse MAY freak out about something at some point. Everyone has to fall off and some people just don't have it in them to get back on. No matter how talented they are, they may never want to ride again after that first fall off.

So I'd be honest with her and accept the fact that until she falls of and realizes that she can just get back on, she may be a wreck. Until she experiences it for herself, though, there is only so much that your words can do.
    Originally posted by tidy rabbit
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Well, this may not exactly shed golden light upon your situation, nor is it entirely politically correct, but... I knew a girl with some pretty intense anxiety issues. She had never been hurt, just was very nervous around the horses and always holding back. I helped her by making it fun. If it was fun, then she wouldn't have to focus on how nervous she was. We did all sorts of silly (but safe!) activities, and I had her come up with rules of her very own "horemanship" (horsemanship with all the "stuff" taken out ). She was terrified of falling, and I told her about how my biggest learning experience was from a fall, that it had changed me as a rider, and I was better for it. I told her that falling was a part of riding, and if it had gotten me to where I was, then it could get her there, too. I told her she wouldn't be able to improve if she didn't fall off from time to time. She wrote me a couple rules of "horemanship," and this was one of them:

Rule #2

Another important rule in horemanship is that every rider must go through some traumatic riding accident, that way they can overcome their fear. So if you do start our program and you're either kicked, trampled, or dragged on purpose, just remember its for your own good.

Sometimes I think if the trainer latches onto an issue and worries about it, then it makes the rider worry about it even more. Or if there is a perceived issue or "problem," then the rider senses that, then believes that there is a problem or that they are a problem, and makes it more of an issue than it should be. Instead, make light of it. Show her that there is nothing wrong with fear, but it doesn't have to own her riding. Don't make light of her, of course, but make light of mistakes and things that may cause fear. Its just simple psychology--if you don't make a big deal out of it and instead reward her for being less anxious, then she will realize there's nothing to make a big deal over. If she's not having fun, then go to her comfort level and build from there.
      Last edited by ontarget; May. 4, 2010, 01:59 AM.

Comment

I hate to be the debbie downer, but I'm gonna say it.

It takes a certain personality type to ride horses, particularly over fences. Perhaps she isn't cut out for this sport?

I've had a few riders over the years that loved, I mean LOVED horses, but were not naturally assertive enough to take the role as the leader in the saddle. At first, I was very supportive. I wanted to see if we could build that confidence and make them more assertive. Lunge line lessons were great, and they stayed on it for much longer than the typical rider. But eventually, we had to move on; it was when I set them free that they just couldn't handle being in charge. The fear of falling, fear of lost control, fear of bees stinging the horse, fear of spooks.....I mean, there was so much fear, it became a safety concern.

So I talked to these parents and kids and told them you can love horses, and not ride. Heck, you could own a horse and not ride (ie Halter classes). But that with the inherent risks associated with riding and the kid's overwhelming fears, I was concerned someone might get hurt.

The couple of kids that come to mind in this situation did finally decide that this sport really wasn't for them. One went back to gymnastics (really, flipping on a beam is less scary than riding ), one decided to focus on pottery, and the last wanted to focus on academics. They all left my program with fond memories and great acheivements, but with an understanding it just wasn't for them.

And truthfully, the parents were very relieved as their fears were just as overwhelming. Apples don't fall far from the tree.
        www.englishivyfarms.com
        Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
        All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Try teaching her an emergency dismount. Start at the halt, have her drop her irons and quickly dismount with the landing being push away from your horse (kind of like vaulting off) and land away from the horse with reins in hand. When shes ok with that, do it at the walk and then trot.

Explain to her that while she WILL fall eventually if she feels like she is going to fall or that her horse is out of control she can ALWAYS do an emergency dismount. Then incorporate in your lessons. Be teaching and then in the middle of nowhere call for an emergency dismount (after she's capable of doing one that is)

It will give her a sense of control about the situation.

Also I had a student once who's horse slightly surged forward (I mean maybe cantered a step if we are lucky) it panicked her to the point of quitting riding. We moved her into a private and I got her to relax by putting her into a really easy sitting trot and then talking to her about EVERYTHING I could think of Except horses. What's going on in school what's her favorite class, what are your plans for break etc. Now she just started cantering. When ever she gets nervous and starts to panic I just start asking non horsey questions.

Above all DON'T tell her nothing will happen, because when something does happen she's not going to trust you or the horse. Instead tell her that you picked the safest possible mount for her and you wouldn't do it if you thought he was dangerous or she couldn't handle him

Comment

• Original Poster

thank you so much for your input. I will take this all into consideration. She is still young. She is only 9 and she has not been riding long at all so all she is doing is walk trotting.However before the show and even after the show, besides the fear she is a pretty solid rider. Like I said earlier she was always a little nervous but nothing like she was after the show. I think just watching everything over whelmed her and scared her. I defently have some ideas now on how to help her build confidence. I dont think she needs to stop riding i dont think she is scared to that point. I was really just looking for ideas to make riding more fun for her and show her that even though one day she may fall she will be ok and we all fall. we even fall riding a bike but we get back on and we are ok. Again thank you so much to everyone who replied.

Comment

Maybe riding just isn't the sport for this girl.
              There's coffee in that nebula.

Comment

Did anyone on the spooking horses fall off? Were they all okay?
                If yes to both answers, then explain that in riding we can all fall off, but that most of the time nothing happens.
                Discuss how good her horse was with her.
                Discuss with her what to do if her horse does spook.
                If she is already a nervous rider, it may be due to a feeling of lack of control. If you give her the tools to deal with such a situation, it may take the fear out of it.
                Even if it is just to reinforce, hands down, heals down, sit up straight and not to scream. Have her repeat this to you and show you what she would do, until it is ingrained in her head.
                I am can be a nervous rider, but have persisted over the years. I still hear my mothers voice in my head if a horse takes off on me (that is my biggest fear) telling me how to get the horse back under control.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sport. Thank you SO much! This is what I am already doing this makes me feel better though. Now I know what I am doing is right. I am glad to hear you overcame your fear and yes the people fell of the horse however her horse (which is my horse) didnt even notice or flinch over everything going on.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X