• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Moving up without horse showing a lot. Is it possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving up without horse showing a lot. Is it possible?

Let me preface this with saying that I used to show a lot. About 8-10 weeks a year with 2 horses.

I took last year off because of the recession and have retired one of my jumpers from the horse show ring. My other horse and I are doing great and have been jumping 1.20 at home. I am feeling confident and very comfortable over that height.

I am ready to get back in the show ring, but this year it will be possibly only 3 shows period.

I was showing in the high AA's when I left the show ring and feel like I can step in there and then move up to the 1.20's. What I am getting from some people in the barn, and a good friend who is a trainer, although not my trainer, is that I have been out of the show ring for so long it will be hard to move up in only 3 shows.

I do know that the show ring is different than schooling at home. But is it so different that you can't improve without going to shows every week?
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

I would go back in for one class lower than you were showing before, then spend the first show at the old height and see how it goes. Move up at will then -- your horse will tell you if he's completely confident and ready to proceed.

I've had horses that could step right in after a year off, and others that needed some time to readjust to the sights and sounds of the ring. If the horse has had a couple of months off I will often put them in one warmup on Wednesday that is lower than they usually show, just as a confidence-builder. I don't usually try to win, just to get around as smoothly and confidently as possible. I save the fast jumpoffs for my division.

Comment

I think it depends on the horse and rider. Some riders get really nervous at shows and so they ride much worse than they do at home. Riders that are more confident, however, are fine just going straight into the ring at the higher level. Same with the horses, some need more prep and a gradual move up while others don't care and are fine with the move up. So really it depends on you and your horse personally. In any case, I'd think you could do one class in the 1.10s early in the week to get back into things, and then if that goes well and you and your horse feel confident you can do the 1.20s for the rest of the show, and if not you can stay in the 1.10s.

Comment

What does *your* trainer think? Personally, I think that there is way to much hand holding and reluctance to move up in general these days. If you and your trainer think you and your horse are ready to move up, you probably are. I too have clients who haven't had the finances to show much lately, so we get a lot accomplished at home. Certainly depends on the horse/rider, but there is no reason you can't progress at home and bring that experience to the show ring over bigger jumps.
        Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Comment

I am not hand holding or blowing your nose for you but taking a year off and wanting to step up? A little premature at this point.

Go and see how it goes in your first show. Be honest. If you are rusty, work on polishing where you are. If you leave the rails up and EASILY make the time? THEN you can think about moving up.

Ummmmm....Jumper terminology has changed so much and keeps changing, I'm just an HP and had just mastered the levels, now it's all meters. So help me out here....were the high AAs 1.1 (which is about 3'6"ish)? Are you talking about moving to the Jr-A/O?

Thing is it's not just height. You have to go faster, the course, jumps and combinations can be more complicated in the Jr-A/O, including more water questions.

So, if you are talking jumping the same courses within the same time allowed? Sure. NBD. But if you are changing divisions into something with more speed and complexity? Maybe not.

Think yor first show needs to be where you were, what, 18 months or so ago (if not low AAs to start)? Then decide. Horse is rusty too, overface him, mean it or not, they can get scared. Or hurt.
          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Findlight will you at least hold my hand while I blow my nose

1.10 is about 3.6" or 3.7" in most prize list. they label it as a level 3.
            1.20 is about 3.9" so it really is only one hole difference.
            Technically it is the modified Junior/amateurs that I want to do.

And what I am running into is the problem of not being able to show a whole lot again. I don't know if I will ever be able to compete 2 horses for 10 weeks a year. My new reality is just one horse a couple/three shows a year if that. So do I give up on ever getting into the Modifieds

And I am not saying I am going to step right into that division. In jumper land it is quite common to do a couple of lower classes and then progress through out the week.

There just seems to be a common perception that you need to spend a lot of time in the show ring in order to progress at a show. What about the people who just can't do that at this time.
            "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Comment

Are you schooling 1.2m at home, or bigger? I like to show just a little smaller than I'm schooling at home, just so I have that in my pocket, so to speak. If my horse is used to 4', then a class at 3'9 is going to look easier to him (and he's more likely to be confident enough to bail me out if I screw up).

If I were you I would just see how it goes. Enter the prep class early in the week, and if you both feel good/confident/smooth enter the Mojams. If you're a little rough, do the high AAs.

I never showed much, but I kept a foot in the door doing haul-in local shows. Can you find some local shows to get in the ring on the cheap? I've been known to take my very jumpery horse around the local 3'3 Eq or Working Hunters just to get out and about for $15 instead of $500. Good practice with finesse as well, as I try not to look like a total joke.

Or haul in to someone's barn for a jump school? Any of those will make it easier to go right in at the bigger height without breaking the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehorsesjp View Post
                1.10 is about 3.6" or 3.7" in most prize list. they label it as a level 3.
                1.20 is about 3.9" so it really is only one hole difference.
                Technically it is the modified Junior/amateurs that I want to do.

I thought...
                1.20m is 3'11", not 3'9".
                1.15m is 3'9"

Comment

1.1m = 3' 7.31"
                  1.15m = 3' 9.28"
                  1.2m = 3' 11.24"

Comment

I dunno, another HP here but if you have been routinely schooling this horse at the required height at home for the last year and both of you are very comfortable with the kind of tracks you will see at the horseshows... I don't see why you couldn't manage to move up, particularly if you can do a lower schooling class earlier in the week to get rid of any rusties.

I have a challenging work schedule and have never had the luxury of showing a lot. Luckily for me, my horse is close enough that I can ride pretty much daily after work so we stay in a program, but it's not at all unusual for me to go 4 or 5 months at a time without a single horse show. In fact, until last weekend I think I had shown once since our local finals horseshows last September, and we marched into a pretty competitive ring at Ox Ridge on Saturday and jumped around some pretty challenging courses that were built to spec and did just fine. (Granted I am doing the eq, not the big jumpers.)

However, I think success in the ring is all about the quality of your preparation at home. Although it is true that there are lots of distractions at a show, etc, the idea IMO is to have your ride tuned up so well in practice that you can manage that additional level of complexity without too much difficulty.

You might not want to really go for broke and look for a win the first time out at a new height, but I see nothing wrong with taking a conservative swing at a division just one hole higher than your old one. Sounds like you are well prepared and will do just fine.
                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
                      I dunno, another HP here but if you have been routinely schooling this horse at the required height at home for the last year and both of you are very comfortable with the kind of tracks you will see at the horseshows... I don't see why you couldn't manage to move up, particularly if you can do a lower schooling class earlier in the week to get rid of any rusties.
                      Agree with this (and the rest of the post as well).

for those of us that only show a handful of times a year, you make do. If you're comfortable/competent at home, you should be able to handle the show. Give yourself a schooling class early in the week and evaluate from there.

I'm doing the XC portion of an event derby next weekend. It's just BN, but I've only ridden the horse 2x and jumped him once since November (he's being ridden regularly...just not by me) and haven't ridden him XC since June of last year(?). I know we'll get around, it might not be super pretty but we are both certainly capable of getting around safely.

Just because you aren't showing doesn't mean you don't have the skills.
                      Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                      Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Why do you need to decide now? I think your goal is completely realistic. But take it one class at a time. You will know when you and your horse a ready. Maybe it is the second of thier class, maybe it is the last class of the last horse show, maybe it is not at all.

It certainly isn't something to be getting worked up over before you even go to that first show.

Just make sure the oxers you are schooling at home are as W-I-D-E as you will see in the ring. I think that is where people really get tripped up when moving up a level.

Comment

I agree with Chef Jade and findeight.

The answer in overly generic terms is yes, of course you can move up without showing a lot. And the way our shows are set up allow you to feel it out as you ride in the show.

It's hard to give a definitive answer for you specifically without knowing you as a rider. But if you've really been jumping 4' at home with the same spreads you'll see at the shows then I doubt you'll have much of a problem. But the best (or at least the least stress-inducing!) way to go about it is to start at the height you're comfortable with on day 1 and go from there.

Comment

I am in the same position as you in that I used to be able to show, but the past two years have just not been able to afford the $1k a week to go to the A shows. I have found I can go to about 10 haul-in county shows for the cost of 1 A show. In my area of Southern Cal. you can do up to 4' on the same grass fields over the same jumps at the county shows. I haul in for 1 day of the weekend and do 2 classes. It's a fun, supportive atmosphere, and my horse likes it because she's home in time for lunch!

Comment

I agree that you shouldn't rush into it. Do a couple shows in the lower division (I too was just getting well versed with the Level numbers and now this. Too old a dog to learn new tricks).

Alot of the 4' division's tests are between the fences. How to approach a roll back with out losing too much time, what speed to come into a double or triple combination. And usually at home you are not taking speed into account. There is always a time allowed, unless you are not interested in placing at all.

My experience with A/Os was that the fences were 4'6", a step up that really seems to be separate the "men from the boys" (or how that would be worded when speaking of horses). A good 4' horse may really struggle with the bigger fences.

But - do a few shows at the lower division and kick butt before moving up. Save you alot of money, embarrassment (I knew someone who refused out at the first fence on a consistent basis but refused to move down).

Comment

Working...
                              X