• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How many jumps do you take for a warm up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many jumps do you take for a warm up?

After reading various threads on "how much is too much" and "riding routines" I have come up with a new question! (I hope or someone can just re-direct to the old thread!) OH and this months In-Stride about safe shows....

When you are at shows what/how many jumps do you take before going into the ring?

Do you do a few x rails a few 2' a few 2'6" etc and work your way up are do you do a few low and a few at height etc?....

I know for example that my horse has to jump ONE fence at height other wise he will go in the ring lazy as can be and totally get caught off guard and knock the first rail from here to the next county!

SO I come out W/T/C both directions catch a couple that are under 2'6" (like two or three) to get him moving and jumping then I will do one or two at mid height and end with one or two jumps at height....So all together maybe 6 jumps max....

Warm up day and warm up morning I catch a few low ones and if he's good buzz around the course once or twice then we are done. I see many trainers who jump the courses over and over and over. If my horse is marching quietly around I don't see why I should do more!

I don't usually school over jumps on schooling day. If the horse needs to see the ring and the jumps I'll hack them in the ring. The only exception is if I have a green horse showing over little jumps and I'm using the schooling day in the same way as the classes (i.e. as another chance to get around a set of jumps).

With my AO mare (typically showing in the lows/1.30m) I jump a maximum of 5 fences before walking into the ring. My goal is to do one at-height rampy oxer. So I start at 3'3" or 3'6" (with an oxer) and then go up 3 or 4 times (raising each side every other time) ending up at 4'3" or 4'6". I do, of course, warm up pretty seriously on the flat with a fair amount of lateral work since I want the horse ready to go.....I just don't want to waste her on warm-up jumps. And I never jump a vertical after the oxer.....she doesn't need it (though I often feel like the only jumper not finishing on a vertical!).

With my TB gelding I jump however many it takes to have him feel "right" before walking into the ring. At the show we did last week I jumped 4 or 5 jumps (starting at 3'6" and ending at 4'6") on the first two days of the show before walking into our 1.40m classes. On the evening of the GP he was a nutcase in the schooling ring and we jumped maybe 6 or 7 jumps before I walked the course. I jumped 3 more jumps when the horse before me walked into the ring. So a total of maybe 10 jumps? And with him I jump an oxer every time and then end on whatever the first fence in the course is. So if the first fence is a vertical we'll do an at-height vertical after our last oxer.

With my green horses jumping little jumps the number can be anywhere from zero (I'll often skip warm up jumps if we're heading into a little class that's not much of an effort for the horse) to maybe 10 if I have a particular issue we're working on.

Comment

Well I haven't shown for awhile, but whenever I did my old trainer was big on keeping routine. On schooling day she would give us a lesson just like at home, 20 minutes or so of flatwork followed by 20 minutes or so of jumping, starting with singles and working up to a course. It relaxed the horses into their usual work routine and got them focused. On show day, she'd have us lunge/hack (depending on what the horses needed) and then school us over single jumps. She would always end the jumping with a fence or two that was a tid bit higher than those in the class so the horses and riders were on their A game. That's her plan of action, and it worked well for me.
      "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
      www.useaiv.org

Comment

In the warm-up area, I usually do 5 to 10, depending on how well we are doing. We do as few as possible. I show at 3', so we'll usually do one or two verticals at 2'6"ish, then a couple of oxers a little higher, then a taller vertical if needed.
        ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

Nikki does 6 to 8 jumps in the warm up ring and very little flatwork right before my class. I take her out in the morning and do a real flat school on her, but I cannot do that just prior to going in the ring - she gets cranky about it and then I have an angry redheaded TB mare on my hands. We usually start her over a small square oxer (3' or so) and work that up to about 4'3 and then end with a very tall vertical to try and get a rail. It almost never works and that sucker has gotten very big...but we try and it does get her sharp.
          http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
          Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

When I would school right before going into the show ring my trainer would actually have me intentionally miss a distance. I was notorious for being perfect in the schooling ring and then missing in the show ring. So I would do about 2-3 perfect jumps and one oops.
            Punch!
            http://community.webshots.com/user/punch2800

Comment

I am something of a minimalist when it comes to warm up jumps. It is very rare for me to jump more than 2 or 3 fences in the schooling area. My horse is made and brave and so all I am doing with the warm up jumps is making sure I have the right canter.

I do flat a bit prior to the first class, maybe ten minutes or so of WTC.
              We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
              -PaulaEdwina

Comment

My mare tends to get really slow at shows so I do as little as possible before going in the ring. Lots of walking, a little trot and canter to make sure she is listening to my leg, and then we hop over 3-4 jumps. We jump 2' - 2'6, so we warm up at that height. If there are problems, like not being straight, right before our class, my trainer does like me to school that before going into the ring. That is a fine line - if we get a little tired during warm-up, we don't have a good trip, so the schooling ends up being kinda pointless.
                My blog: Journeys in Riding

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
                  I am something of a minimalist when it comes to warm up jumps. It is very rare for me to jump more than 2 or 3 fences in the schooling area. My horse is made and brave and so all I am doing with the warm up jumps is making sure I have the right canter.

I do flat a bit prior to the first class, maybe ten minutes or so of WTC.
                  I'm jealous! My horse is not yet "made" although we are getting there! Hence the schooling over the course morning of and night before! He "needs" to see those fences!

I find it interesting that you have a lot of people starting off @ 3' for the warm up (granted they are ending higher too...) and only doing a few jumps before going in and jumping some big courses.

When reading about everyone's routines at home it seemed like there was a lot of time given to warm up... Ex) walk ten minutes, trot each direction for ten minutes do some laterals for ten minutes THEN canter for a few laps.... Then start with a small 2' single, work your way up to a line then a course then adjust the height...yes I am exaggerating, and yes I know that working on all those elements is important it just made me feel like I wasn't warming my horse up ENOUGH at shows!

I also got some pretty strange looks at my last show when I came out flated 10 minutes (he had already been worked in the AM and this was 10 or 11 AM) took 3 jumps and went in to the ring! And my horse was better then his previous 2 shows!

Ok I am so rambling......

Comment

I'm a "less is more" person, partly because my first hunter was a bit keen, and you really didn't want to get his engine up and humming in the w/u ring. The idea was to sneak in 20 fences (4 in the schooling area and 16 for your division, this was before w/u classes!) before he woke up.

With the one I just retired, his form is pretty consistent and his jump is his jump. I usually schooled about 6 fences on him and finished with a vertical one hole higher than the class with the cooler draped over it. If I nailed that perfectly off the same lead as the first fence on course, we called it quits, otherwise gave it one more shot. That last fence was for me, not the horse. He's a careful horse and has a lot of natural backup at the fence. That makes for a winning round if there is no pilot error (hah!), but that first fence on course is an entirely different feeling from the fences in the warm up ring. Once I figured out how to create that feeling in the warm up ring, our courses improved considerably.
                    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

As few as possible. Both of mine tend to get hyped when you jump, so the more we do, the more horse I have to contend with. Sometimes just one or two.
                      A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

My horse was doing local one day shows last year and our routine was generally as follows:

Arrive for morning schooling, flat about 15 minutes to warm up and see the sights. School over a few fences, particularly those which might approach akwardly or be jumped from both directions. I try to not ride more than five to eight fences and halt quietly after the fence or line. Before the division, I walk her for a while on a nice loose rein, kind of taking a tour to loosen the muscles out. Then we go into the warm-up ring, trot a few minutes, canter a lap, hop over a low fence, halt, canter once fence at height to the left. Left is her harder direction and I try to reinforce landing on the left lead. If I jump her over the show fences too much she gets dull. She jumps phenomenally the first time she sees a fence.
                        "Beware the hobby that eats."
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

When I was doing the 3' Adults, if I had flatted for 20 minutes, jumped for 20 minutes and then gone in for 3 rounds then an under saddle??? Need a wheelbarrow to get the horse out of the ring...and they would not have had a fond memory of what happened at the show.

What I did do if I had one a little less experienced or fresh is break up the flat work with an early AM session hacking out if we were at KHP where that's an option. Or a solid 30 minutes of flat in a ring. Then back to the stall until about 30 minutes before the trip-or about 15 trips out on the gate sheet.

My standard warm up is about 10 minutes W-T-C. Few leg yields and up/down trot canter transitions. Vertical at about 2'6", halt. Come around the other direction, halt. Then raise it up and come all the way around, circle back over it. Then add the oxer once each way off a continuing canter. MAYBE raise the vertical a little above class height and take it off the same lead as the first fence to sharpen depending on how they warmed up. Then go in the ring. What is that? 6? had issues in warm up sometimes but NEVER anything more jumping was going to fix. more flatwork or a lunge, maybe. Not more jumping.

I may be different but I like mine a little sharper then ideal in my first class so I have something left for the second, particularly in the summer. Sure don't want them perfect if I am doing a warm up round-that is what they are for.

One thing...sometimes people ask about why this or that horse beat theirs when the answer is simply they presented a dull and tired horse. So overdoing it is a bigger problem then being a touch fresh.

Do your homework. Teach them at home. Get up and ride in the early AM. Don't try to fix problems in that warm up ring at a show.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I actually get anxious in the schooling ring. I prefer to do as little as possible and go I also try to find a quiet place to do most of my flatwork to warm up. My goal is to trot one and then canter about 3....then in I go Otherwise, both of us get fried in the warm up area. My mare and I both tend to be the nervous types

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                              When I was doing the 3' Adults, if I had flatted for 20 minutes, jumped for 20 minutes and then gone in for 3 rounds then an under saddle??? Need a wheelbarrow to get the horse out of the ring...and they would not have had a fond memory of what happened at the show.
                              I dunno if you were referring to my post, but in case you were I was referring to schooling day not show day.
                              "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
                              www.useaiv.org

Comment

Originally posted by nlk View Post
                                ...When you are at shows what/how many jumps do you take before going into the ring?
                                Sorry mustang, I thought you were referring to the OPs question. Not schooling only day.
                                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I presume that you mean "what do you do in the warm-up ring before you show."

I do as little as possible to warm up - right before I go in the ring is not the time to do much "schooling" or training. We might make a point of something by maybe jumping on a little angle, or only jumping verticals, but leave the jumps for the show ring.

Do a flat to warm up the horse (10 minutes?), and then a few jumps. Too many people jump the crap out of the horse in the practice ring and then wonder why their horse rubs the jumps all the way around the ring.

for a schooling day (non-showing), my focus will be on longer flatwork, lateral work, transitions, etc. and then probably a few (10 or less) jumps -- my horse rarely gets to jump in the ring she'll show in -- this is true for most AA rated shows.

I want my horse to like her job, so I keep it as fun, relaxed and simple as possible. Sometimes, if you have a fresh one, you have to modify your routine, or else just plan to give them a lunge the next morning.

Comment

I show him every fence in the warm up (the scheduled warm up in the actual ring) and then jump each to feel out how the lines ride and to allow him to feel each jump. Mine does not like surprises so we avoid them. I do not jump anything in the warm up ring while waiting for my go. I find them chaotic and mine is an older campaigner so no need.

With the baby green I again show him each fence and trot/canter each one in the scheduled warm up, then trot one and canter one in the chaotic schooling ring before going in. This is more to get his mind focused but it is NOT a training session by any means.
                                    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Comment

Originally posted by imapepper View Post
                                      I actually get anxious in the schooling ring. I prefer to do as little as possible and go I also try to find a quiet place to do most of my flatwork to warm up. My goal is to trot one and then canter about 3....then in I go Otherwise, both of us get fried in the warm up area. My mare and I both tend to be the nervous types
                                      I do the same. My mare is not a huge fan of other horses in general and especially in warm-up rings where people are coming from all different directions. I try to sneak a few jumps (maybe a few 2' verticals then a 3' oxer) in during a lull in the warm-up ring and then head into the show ring.

Comment

Originally posted by imapepper View Post
                                        I actually get anxious in the schooling ring. I prefer to do as little as possible and go I also try to find a quiet place to do most of my flatwork to warm up. My goal is to trot one and then canter about 3....then in I go
                                        Me too.

I was fortunate enough to finish my junior years (riding at 3' and a couple times at 3'6") with a horse that could literally walk off of the trailer on saturday, flat to work out the kinks, and trot an x on principal, and go in for a warm up round. We would MAYBE jump one 6" below height for a "hey--we're jumping" moment if he was feeling lazy or distracted (these are relative terms).

He was a horse of a lifetime and I really worked to develop the ability to do this in order to save him (in addition to not jumping at home). Ended up spoiled, and scared of the kamikazes in the schooling ring.

Comment

Working...
                                        X