• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do riders get out of school for shows so often?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do riders get out of school for shows so often?

I show a bunch but I never get to miss a few weeks like the other riders do for shows, how do they get to skip school for shows?

They have cooler parents than you do, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by *Liz* View Post
      They have cooler parents than you do, sorry.
      HAHA, seriously, my daughter is a senior in HS, this was the first year she missed alot. Previously, she would miss maybe 6-7 days a year for riding and I would just call her in.

Last year I had to get approval for her to take her finals early to go to Spruce as a working student and it was a nightmare.

Then over the summer, a friend clued me into a program that the HS has, it is called the Elite Athlete Program, set up for kids that do sports outside of the school. Again, another nightmare, but I got her approved to miss 13 days, with no penalty, her teachers had to provide her with the work missed, because of this program. She was able to show 8 long weekends this winter at WEF. But it was awful flying back and forth, wednesdays - sundays. We worked it around the vacations, days off, etc. In the end she only missed 11 classes.

Work with your school, you may be surprised the programs they offer, but just don't tell you about!!

Comment

Some kids un-enroll for a quarter or two and enroll in homeschooling or a private school that caters to elite athletes in the location they are showing. Other schools are understanding of the fact that this is entirely possibly the ticket to a huge NCAA scholarship or a stepping stone to a USET team for these gifted riders. It helps to have an educational professional on the ground at home to go to bat for the kids as well (a tutor or otherwise qualified person who isn't a parent interfacing with the schools at home and away).
        Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Comment

Many of the kids work with a tutor while they are away and some are home schooled which makes it a lot easier, but with some planning you should be able to work something out.

You should talk to your guidance counselor and see if he/she can help you organize your schedule if you need to miss time for horseshows.

My DD usually misses a few days a year but the year she was a working student at WEF, we worked with her guidance counselor and her teachers to communicate her work with the tutor. She went to the tutor 3 or 4 mornings a week and was able to keep up with her work at home. That was the first time her school had done something like that and there were a few glitches but basically it worked out. The following year, her schedule was arranged to accommodate a month away but sadly for her the position didn't materialize.

She'll be a senior next fall and once again we will try to organize a schedule that will accommodate a month in Fla., since it will be her last junior year, I will somehow figure out how to get her down there

Comment

There is a program that holds "classes" in Ocala for the kids who are showing. So I would guess the un-enroll like some one else said. I saw it advertised in my prize list.

Now for local shows I have a handful of shows we do in spring and fall during school. We leave on Friday afternoon so the kids only end up missing a half day once or twice a month April/May and September. So you're not the only one!

Comment

Well, I'm homeschooled But I don't go to any week-long shows either, so the only real benefit in that respect is that I can go school on Fridays and pack the trailer on Thursday.

Comment

One of mine is HS'd but he does not get to miss much for shows. Any shows that involve more than a weekend are saved for the summer. It does give him the flexibility to ride more than one horse or pony a day (as long as assignments are up to date).

There are other equine related opportunities that I will let him miss school for though.....like next week's trip to New Bolton. He is considering vet school so we think of it as a field trip.
                Last edited by theoldgreymare; Apr. 28, 2010, 11:15 AM.
                Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

The parents have to be really proactive about it. The Elite Athletes program sounds really helpful. A lot of the young skaters I knew when I worked for SCOB were on half-day plans, their skating was their gym credit, they were tutored...they basically had to rework their lives around skating. Heck, one girl was commuting from Albany every week with her mother. (We were in Boston. Yes, that Albany. The one in New York.) They eventually found a place, while her father and brother stayed in NY. (Yes, her parents were still married.) The parents have to be really involved with the schools to make it work, but if the kids want any chance at all of getting to the top, they find a way to make it work.
                  Author Page
                  Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                  Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

I missed a lot of school for shows in high school and it actualy worked out pretty well. I had good grades and would do the work ahead of time instead of after I got back, which I think the teachers liked much better, and I did too because then I could go to the show without having to worry about some test I had to make up when I got back. As for them allowing me to miss more than the regular limit, it probably helped that my grandmother had been president of the board of education there decades ago when her kids were there. In fact, the guy that was principal when I was there she'd hired as a teacher when she was president! I even left my senior year weeks early to go to Spruce. I missed prom, graduation, and that "required" community service, but it was totally worth it!

Comment

I evented through HS, so I would usually only miss the Thursday/Friday of school, and my parents didn't let me show too often during the school year, we tried to stick to the summer shows.

Senior year I left HS to graduate early in an independent study program and was a WS (only met with a teacher 1X a week on Monday's). It was an awesome opportunity, got to ride a LOT (6 horses a day, 6-7 days a week) and show more regularly. New horse wasn't digging cross country, so that summer I switched to H/J barn/trainer.

College, I only have classes M-Th, so Mr. Trainer takes the horses down in the beginning of the week, shows him until I can get there, usually for the F-Sunday portion. I'll leave right after class gets out on the Thursday and drive to wherever the show is (usually 2-4 hrs away) and then pack up on Sunday when I'm done showing and drive home and Mr. Trainer takes the pony back to the barn. Sometimes depending on the time I'll meet Mr. Trainer at the barn and help, but more times than not I have hw to do and bed to get to because I have school the next day.

Comment

I had an FFA program at my HS that allowed me to "rodeo" when I needed to. My school counted the horses and gym credit and I also enrolled in Junior Achievement which allowed a 1/2 day for work. Talk to the school and if you are lucky enough to have a 4H or some sort of Ag program at the school it makes things a lot easier.
                        Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                        Originally Posted by alicen:
                        What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

There are a number of things riders that seem to miss alot of school days do. Home schooling, usually with some private, professional help is pretty standard. Tutors are available at the major circuits and they can work with each students responsibility and their home state requirments.

Many public and most private schools WILL work with each student in preparing lesson plans and monitering their work. Thing is, some states do require physically being in that school x number of days. More and more are considering alternatives but not all. Thing to do is ASK at that school BEFORE you miss any class days.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

most of the juniors that I know who are serious are home schooled. Not that it is less challenging and they don't have to keep up on school work, the scheduling is just more flexible. Also, if they bring their home school teacher on the road with them (usually their mothers) they still get school in while away for a show.

Comment

Originally posted by KateKat View Post
                              most of the juniors that I know who are serious are home schooled. Not that it is less challenging and they don't have to keep up on school work, the scheduling is just more flexible. Also, if they bring their home school teacher on the road with them (usually their mothers) they still get school in while away for a show.
                              this.
                              My friends that are at every show and doing well are home schooled. I do have some friends that go to almost every show and go to public school, but I know their parents have to fight the school board after a certain number of absences. When I played tennis competitively, my schedule was just like if I was showing all the time(gone almost every weekend and missing a bunch of school). Since my public school raised hell(they didn't care that I had a 4.0 and was nationally ranked), I switched to a private school and my mom was able to convince them that my absences didn't matter(the 4.0 gpa was definitely a big help in that fight)! IMO unless your home schooled, you basically need a parent that will "fight" the school!

Comment

I was on the road showing at least 15 days a month for 5 or more months a year when I was a junior in HS. I went to a school that was full of mostly athletes (lots if other riders) that doesn't have classes or schedules. Some TAs took attendace, but mine didn't so I could literally go to school whenever I wanted. You work on your own at your own pace, and if you need help you go to a seminar or meet with a teacher. You wrote tests whenever you wanted and could add or drop courses at any time. It was awesome for me, I could take all my work to shows with me. I work better by myself than in a classroom, so I was able to graduate HS in 3 years with honors, and it never got in the way of showing

Comment

Originally posted by Piadosa View Post
                                  I was on the road showing at least 15 days a month for 5 or more months a year when I was a junior in HS. I went to a school that was full of mostly athletes (lots if other riders) that doesn't have classes or schedules. Some TAs took attendace, but mine didn't so I could literally go to school whenever I wanted. You work on your own at your own pace, and if you need help you go to a seminar or meet with a teacher. You wrote tests whenever you wanted and could add or drop courses at any time. It was awesome for me, I could take all my work to shows with me. I work better by myself than in a classroom, so I was able to graduate HS in 3 years with honors, and it never got in the way of showing
                                  That's really cool!!!

I didn't show HJ, but we did have a high school equestrian team, which does 3 meets a year, plus the state meet if you qualify (wahset.org and ohset.org), and meets are friday-sunday, so i would miss thursday, and sometimes monday. The thursday for travel, and monday because I managed to get these nasty colds right before/right after meets, lol.

My senior year I missed 15 days-3 weeks - of english (some of the days were just missed periods, we had some during school performances of the play that I had to miss class for, and in the beginning of the year I was horse-shopping, so missed days looking at horses) Amazingly, the school never threw a fit, but they were all excused, and I had good grades, and I think that makes a HUGE difference.

Comment

Lots of riders at my (private) high school in the NE - they would fly to FL on Thursday night and come back Sunday night or Monday. Since the school had a riding program they were pretty flexible, but boy those girls were super-organized. They did all their schoolwork on planes. They were required to maintain their GPA - if it started slipping, the school wouldn't excuse them for a week until their grades came back up.
                                    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

My school is awful about it. Friends that I ride with are in Elite Athlete programs (public school), or their school is just very flexible (private). Mine however, not so much. I go to public high school, and I have 10 sick days (after 10 a doctors notice is needed for the absence to be considered unexcused). Basically I just work with my ten days, miss a Friday here, last two periods there.. anything to keep my days from stacking up. I can't have unexcused absences because that will affect my chances of getting into college, and if I go much after 10 absences without a doctors note I get fined. (Apparently, this is all state law. My friends live in the same state and go to public schools and have much more flexible rules??)

I asked my guidance counselor about it once. He basically told me that there was a girl who swam at the international level, she was so good she trained with Michael Phelps and didn't swim on our school team. All of her absences were unexcused.

It's really very frustrating. I cannot "pull out" for a semester and still graduate because of my schools "8 on-campus semesters of P.E." rule. We are considering cyber school my last two years as a junior.

Comment

Ahh now if only there was a deal like this for college... i could manage my work while missing class, but those attendance points are killer.
                                        Go Vols!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X