• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

updated 3'-move-up critique please? new show photos!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updated 3'-move-up critique please? new show photos!

I'm back with new show photos and hoping all my brilliant friends on the forum can shed some light on my newest question.

Last time I asked for a critique, everyone agreed my stirrups were too long and that the jump in the photo was a nearly-scary long spot.

Since then, Horsie and I have made a huge improvement in finding nice distances - we had only one chip through our three divisions this weekend. (Chip began with a plastic bag flying through the air in front of us two strides out from the first jump - Brave Horsie *just barely* swerved, but our rhythm was blown and I am too inexperienced to fix it right before the fence.) Another big improvement is that my trainer says I am making consistently good decisions on course. I think he is talking about the fact that lots of things I had to think about before now happen automatically.

But, in looking at this picture, despite our huge improvement, I still think I am jumping up his neck, at least somewhat. I also think my leg still slips back. Worst of all, I see a frightening hint of ugly pinching-with-the-knee. I have never had that problem, so if it is developing I want to fix it asap! I showed Trainer the picture, and he was unconcerned but distracted at that moment... So... I thought I would ask y'all before I continue to bug my poor harried trainer.

I also included the picture from the last show so those of you who missed that thread can compare.

(By the way, my subject line says 3'-move-up photos, but actually both of these photos were taken during a warm-up at 2'9. At BOTH shows, the photographer entirely missed my 3' trips! )

Here is the link:

[link removed]

Thanks in advance, y'all! Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 4, 2010, 08:27 AM.
    Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, / And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, / Do not go gentle into that good night. -- Dylan Thomas

In the photo with the green jacket, it almost looks like you aren't up off the horse's back at all. The overall picture would be nicer if your weight was down in those heels, lifting you just off his back and keeping your leg where it belongs.

Comment

Did you or are you planning on buying these pics? Otherwise downloading the proofs and uploading them into your own album for any purpose is STEALING from the photog! As a pro photog trying to make a living shooting shows and equine photography, PLEASE don't do this. There are numerous threads about this subject.

If you want opinions on a pro's shots that you aren't purchasing, at least link to the images on the pro's site. Downloading them for personal use (that includes for use to critique, to use on facebook, to email to your friends and fam) with out paying is theft and copyright infringement.

If you did buy these, then nevermind, sorry.

Sorry for the rant, but this is something that is really really hurting the business of horse show photography, and a lot of people don't understand that.
      It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Comment

• Original Poster

No, no, I should have mentioned that I own both. But it was faster to use the proof from online rather than scanning purchased print. I hope that is legit. I figured as long as I paid it didn't matter which copy I used for the link... But if that is improper I can scan them for everyone's peace of mind.
        Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, / And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, / Do not go gentle into that good night. -- Dylan Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by GGsuperpony View Post
          No, no, I should have mentioned that I own both. But it was faster to use the proof from online rather than scanning purchased print. I hope that is legit. I figured as long as I paid it didn't matter which copy I used for the link... But if that is improper I can scan them for everyone's peace of mind.
          Yes, as long as you paid for them that is totally ok! Sorry for the rant it's just one of those things that gets to me! Glad you bought the photos, both are very nice. Not much to help you out with as far as critiquing, sorry.
          It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Comment

Much better overall picture, good job. Your leg has slipped back, its hard to say but it does look like you are gripping with the knee. I think it would help if you get up just a little and push that heel down. Sink into your heel and not grab with the knee. Nice release and your in a much better position if horsie decides to stop I would work on getting your weight in your heel and your calf on the horse before moving up. But your getting there girl. Hope all went great at the show, I'll hit you up on fb to see how you did.
            Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Agree with Rabicon--your lower leg is slipped back, along with your base of support. Your butt is too far back and you appear to be a bit behind the motion or sitting down too soon.

Your heel has come up as well.

Cute horse, good expression for what looks to be a wet, muddy trip.
              Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, y'all, for your input!

To fix my leg - more two-point? Transitions in two-point?

I do tend to sit up too soon, good observation. I need to get in the habit of staying over longer . I think that's just a matter of having Trainer fuss at me for a few lessons, unless y'all have other suggestions?

And yes, the weather was AWFUL but Horsie has the kindest, most willing attitude. He had never shown in the rain before that day. I do love that he looks happy in every rainy, muddy photo. He is a keeper if not a world-beater.

Comment

You have a great upper body, and a beautiful back. Really lovely. It looks like you work hard. I think that the same thing is happening with your leg in both pictures, it's just that shortening your stirrup (which was the right thing to do, definitely) is showing off your weakness. It's easy to say push your feet forward and push your butt back, but it looks like your body may not be cooperating with the instructions your brain is giving it. I think that if you are up for it, some weight training would help you maximize your time in the saddle, especially squats. It's hard to build a strong base of support riding just one without muscle memory to back you up. Meet my girlfriends from The Firm, Get Chiseled. You will learn to hate them as much as I do. Or, try a LGA class at your local gym for a straight legs, glutes and abs workout. I never worked out until after I had kids, and it has made me feel stronger when I ride, even after a 6 year break. When you are in the saddle, 2-point is your friend. I think you should try bendy stirrups, but your trainer might beat me with a stick

I love your horse. He looks like a "friend" horse... the very best kind.
                  Trinity Farm LLC
                  Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
                  Like us on Facebook:
                  https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

• Original Poster

What a coincidence that you would call him a "friend" horse, because my pet name for him is Friend! As in, "How are you, Friend, oh, who's a good Friend, let's go to work, Friend," etc. (Except when he gets quick, and then my trainer calls him Junior Johnson. )

Thanks for your compliments! I guess I am never really satisfied with my efforts, but I have to admit we have made a ton of progress and it hasn't come out of nowhere. So I am terribly glad that it began to pay off this weekend.

Regarding the bendy stirrups, the last time I rode in them I felt like my leg was really, really unstable - anyone else notice that in switching from regular stirrups to the fancy, bendy ones? I didn't last ten minutes in them before switching back... Although I admit it was easier to get my previously-broken left ankle to match the right one with the bendy stirrup, so there is a definite advantage if I could only get used to them.

I like the weight-training idea too. I could definitely do more squats. I actually go the gym with my trainer a couple mornings each week, and we both do some cardio and then weights, but I rarely do the leg stuff that he does. (Don't panic, gym visits are totally an optional part of the program!) I suppose I should "join the others"! You are right, it is hard to get in better shape riding just one horse, so hitting the gym definitely helps.

Comment

OK, I was trying hard to come up with a really good explanation of my thoughts, but its not coming, so I'll just give you what I got.

Its your entire position is off, timing and base of support. I know that sounds harsh, but I think its not hard to fix. It's not just your leg that is slipping back its your entire body too.

You need to ride without stirrups or bareback, I like bareback.
                      Walk, trot and canter with many transitions until you feel you are in sync with your horse.

Once you are stronger in your base, your timing will improve.

Good luck and congrats to moving up!!!
                      Last edited by Summit Springs Farm; Apr. 27, 2010, 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

Hi folks ~
                        Purchasing a print of a pro's shot doesn't automatically provide reproduction rights and/or publication rights, so we've had to remove the link.

Thanks!
                        Mod 1

Comment

Mod 1, can you clarify the policy? People aren't using their photos for advertising and as long as people bought the photo, there has never been a problem with posting photos of yourself and your horse. At least not in the past.

If we can't post pictures that we bought, there will be practically no photos posted on this board. Certainly no show critiques.
                          Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                          Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Originally posted by ExJumper View Post
                            Mod 1, can you clarify the policy? People aren't using their photos for advertising and as long as people bought the photo, there has never been a problem with posting photos of yourself and your horse. At least not in the past.

If we can't post pictures that we bought, there will be practically no photos posted on this board. Certainly no show critiques.
                            I think the problem was the picture that was posted showed it was a proof even though the OP said the photo had been paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Acres View Post
                              I think the problem was the picture that was posted showed it was a proof even though the OP said the photo had been paid for.
                              Mod 1 seemed to acknowledge that the OP had purchased the print. That's what worries me...
                              Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

I'm speculating here, but I would guess that since there is no proof that the original poster actually bought the picture, then she can't post a picture with "proof" written on it. Also, it's at the very least immoral to take a picture off of a photographer's website with "proof" still written on it, upload it to your own website (or photo site) and not even give the photographer credit.

Comment

But there's never any REAL proof that any of us have purchased ANY of the pictures we post!

Like you guys are saying, maybe it's just this particular case, but Mod 1's phrasing worried me...

Comment

Originally posted by ExJumper View Post
                                    Mod 1 seemed to acknowledge that the OP had purchased the print. That's what worries me...
                                    What worries me is that people don't know the difference between buying a print of a photo and buying the rights to the photo. The OP purchased the print -- as in, a copy of the photo. She didn't purchase the publication rights, reproduction rights, or the rights to the image itself. She purchased a copy of the image, which I am sure she will receive in hard copy.

If I buy a copy of the book, that doesn't give me the right to publish it or reproduce it (whether for profit or not).

Comment

If the OP purchased a print of the photo, she purchased just that, a print, not necessarily the right to reproduce and distribute the photo digitally. Some photographers make this quite clear in their purchase agreements.

I believe the main problem is the OP downloaded the proof from the photographer's website and moved it to a secondary website. I came to this thread too late to see which site was used or whether or not the photographer was at all credited, although I don't think that matters one bit if the purchase was for a print without specific permission to reproduce and distribute the image.

Comment

Originally posted by Phaxxton View Post
                                        What worries me is that people don't know the difference between buying a print of a photo and buying the rights to the photo. The OP purchased the print -- as in, a copy of the photo. She didn't purchase the publication rights, reproduction rights, or the rights to the image itself. She purchased a copy of the image, which I am sure she will receive in hard copy.

If I buy a copy of the book, that doesn't give me the right to publish it or reproduce it (whether for profit or not).
                                        Originally posted by blueskye View Post
                                        If the OP purchased a print of the photo, she purchased just that, a print, not necessarily the right to reproduce and distribute the photo digitally. Some photographers make this quite clear in their purchase agreements.

I believe the main problem is the OP downloaded the proof from the photographer's website and moved it to a secondary website. I came to this thread too late to see which site was used or whether or not the photographer was at all credited, although I don't think that matters one bit if the purchase was for a print without specific permission to reproduce and distribute the image.
                                        While I certainly agree with what both of you wrote from a "letter of the law" perspective, it's certainly not the way it has been enforced in the past. If we are changing the way we enforce the posting of pictures in such a substantial way, I think it needs to be mentioned.

For as long as I've been here, people have posted pro pictures that they have purchased. If that is going to have to stop I think it is a hige change and should be addressed by the mods.

But this is all speculation. I "reported" my post with a request for Mod 1 to chime in. I'm hoping that she can clarify if this is an issue with thie specific picture, or if this is a paradigm shift for the site as a whole.

Comment

Working...
                                        X