• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What do you pay for your horse's yearly shots/teeth float etc...Peeved, need a vent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you pay for your horse's yearly shots/teeth float etc...Peeved, need a vent

So my old vet, whom I loved dearly, has recently retired. I was crushed, he has been the most wonderful vet to deal with, and I have been a very loyal client of his for the past 7 years or so. Let me tell you, finding a new vet is about as much fun as a root canal. Finding a vet I trust...Apparently I can't find one for love nor money.

My retired vet (after getting fed up with my calls begging him to come back) recommended a new vet, who is a bit out of my region, but since he recommended them, I am certain they will take extrasuperspecial care of my guy just like he did. I called to arrange the pony's annual teeth float/shots/checkup. The cost?........

$400.00

Where's. The. Fruitbat.

Do I get a bottle of champagne while I wait?!?!?! Maybe I am wrong, or was being severely undercharged, or just freakin oblivious but please tell me why I need to pay $400 effing dollars to get my horse's annual work done. I can barely afford to keep him as is, and this type of deal makes me want out of horses. Not only that, but I have to pay twice since they will not do all the shots at one time. So I'm paying over $100 in farm calls alone. The cost is not worth it, so now I'm contemplating which shots pony REALLY needs.....

Now, I'm a big girl, I know there are costs associated with horses, yes I am aware. Pony has never gone without, regardless of cost, and regardless of where it leaves me financially. But come on. This is extortion. And I know there are other vets out there, but having done my homework, this one seems to have gotten the 5 star rating, so it's the double edged sword. Pay more for good service, or pay less for a vet that I know people have had issues with, or I myself have had issues with. I went for the more costly option, as seems to be the norm for horses.

Can I just do a comparison? What do you pay for your shots, etc?

And can I have a hug too, I'm still in sticker shock I think...

Hugs to you... but....that is about average for one horse for just teeth, sheath and farm call, done by a dentist-only DVM I use here in my area. Add shots and it creeps up from there.

I was just charged $90 for farm call, and spring shots (flu/rhino and West Nile) for one horse.

I don't know where you live, but methinks you were being under-charged by your old time vet. Sure, I can find a less expensive vet, but I like the peace of mind that my horse's teeth are being well-tended to.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Ouch.

I paid about $225 for shots and Coggins on one horse a couple of years ago, no teeth involved.

I also was stung by the "two call charges to spread out the shots" thing, which irked me since it was not mentioned when we discussed whether to spread out the shots, and the vet specifically said it would be no problem to stop in a week later, since she drives by there all the time.

I was also charged a fee for a "physical exam." I was there when the vet came, and all she did was walk up to the horse and give him the shots. The only "exam" was to see that he was upright, which I could verify for myself without going to vet school.

So more than half the bill was for call fees and the "exam."

Of course I paid the bill, but I really felt that was over the top. I fully realize vets have to make a living, but come on.

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
        I was also charged a fee for a "physical exam." I was there when the vet came, and all she did was walk up to the horse and give him the shots. The only "exam" was to see that he was upright, which I could verify for myself without going to vet school.
        Bwaahahahaa...

Leseee...teeth float - $250 (includes drugs), farm call - $75, shots - $60. Yep - easily could reach $400. I do live in the high-rent district, though (West coast).

Learn to give shots yourself...it's not hard and you can buy the vaccines at any feed store.

Comment

Don't have the numbers in front of me, and I use different people for the float as the vaccinations/coggins. But I believe I pay around $40-50 for the float, $150-200 for the vaccinations (first batch), $100 for more vaccinations (strangles intranasal and a couple others not in the first batch), and $35ish for the coggins. So I'm not way off from where you're coming out. That does not include a sheath cleaning or sedation for the teeth. It does include a WIDE array of vaccinations (I am overly paranoid and will sometimes include vax that other people might skip).
          ~Veronica
          "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
          http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

$400 for everything would be about right around here... (West Coast again)...
            "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Do the shots yourself and save some money...haul the horse and save the farm call charge.

I usually get charged 90-120 for my pony to get his coggins, health exam, and shots. I have the vet check his teeth to see if they need to be done, but so far he hasn't needed them to be.

Comment

We do teeth separately. Teeth are $250 per horse including sedation if necessary.

My bill for spring shots (including two split call charges since we break them up) and coggins is usually around $250.

So I'm at $500ish per horse (high rent area though).

Comment

I just got a $960+ bill for WN, Flu, Rabies and Coggins on 5 horses, plus a float and wolf teeth removal on one, and a dental exam on one, plus the farm call. I will not need to see her in the fall because she will sell me the flu shot to give myself and I do my own EWT, Rhino shots. We just started using a 1x year WN shot.

I would refuse to pay two farm calls to split shots, especially if you didn't request it. My vet would just leave me with the shots, but she knows I have no problem giving them myself. My state just requires that WN and Rabies be done through a vet so I do have to see her once a year anyway and check teeth, pull coggins etc.

Comment

Oh my goodness! I just had our horse's shots done last week. I paid $136 for rabies, WN, and 2 other ones I can't remember right now. That was including half a farm call because two of us split the farm call. Teeth get done next month by an equine dentist, no sedation $75.

I pay $28 for a trim and $70 for a trim and 2 front shoes (just thought I'd throw that in there too).

Comment

Wow, that is high. We just paid $96 for each horse's spring shots (that included the split of the farm call), and $160 for the teeth float, including the call and sedation.

Comment

Unfortunately the bill you got would be right around what we normally pay in this area (Northeast)... and I get dinged for the two trip charges also, but I figure that since I request the split, I can't complain.
                        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

It's interesting to see that a lot of us are paying the same thing regardless of our location. My horse is currently living in central IL, 2.5 hours from a major city, and her spring shots, coggins, and a fecal count were $225. I was unlucky enough not to be able to split the farm call, so that's in there, too. I did go to the most recommended vet in the area, though, so that may have something to do with it. I probably would have paid $500 with teeth, but the vet didn't have time, so that has to wait until she gets up here.

I know you guys will be talking me off a ledge once I get the bill from the equine dentist in Chicago.

Comment

I live in the Midwest where stuff like this is pretty reasonable, and my Coggins and vaccinations (I elected to do Strangles since my filly is heading out to a cowboy) were $178. I had a $250ish dentist bill last fall and $150ish this spring. No extractions this spring, but once they get them sedated and set up, IMO, it's always around $150. Keep in mind, I have a baby, so I expect frequent and expensive dentist bills.

I think you were getting undercharged before. At least around here, it doesn't seem like the vets are getting rich, and they have a lot of overhead. I use a separate dentist, and I thought his prices were reasonable considering how much time and equipment (and drugs!) it takes to get the job done. I also appreciate the fact that he comes when I need him. I am not a big fan of dentists who only come out once a year.

Here's your hug. (HUG!)
                            Trinity Farm LLC
                            Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
                            Like us on Facebook:
                            https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

I just paid about 2x that for my DD's horse's spring shots, annual exam, coggins, fecal and dental. My vet also does the shots in two trips but they felt with the sedation for the float, it would be too much to do all the vaccines on one farm call.

Granted, I live in a high cost area.....

Comment

Shots, Coggins, Check-up, Teeth, & sheath?
                                $400

I think that is what I would expect to pay if I had my vet do everything.

Last time my vet did shots & sheath I paid $250 a horse. Teeth are about $200-with the Vet doing them.
                                "The Friesian syndrome... a mix between Black Beauty disease and DQ Butterfly farting ailment." Alibi_18

Comment

• Original Poster

Seems to be a mixed bag of prices...I'm in the "mid-range" area paying "designer" prices I suppose with this new vet....

I got a quote e-mailed to me and the sedation alone for the teeth is $45, and the basic power float is $102. The shots are the killers, I may pick them up next year and do them myself, since my boy is a superstar about needles and patient with my repeated stabbings when I was learning how to needle years ago

So the vets should be ok with leaving the second round of shots for me to do myself?? I didn't know htey did that! Also, one other strange thing...I was told they cannot do the Pinnacle Intranasal for strangles while the horse is under sedation (my guy is not a fan of it and can be difficult, so we have always given it while he is sedated for teeth float) Anyone know about that?!?!

My vet doesn't do the exam or anything, no sheath cleaning either, my guy is a man slut and will drop and fall asleep at cleaning time lol

I do feel good about the fact theat this is a well respected vet, but some of the prices I guess it is part and parcel....everything in the horse world has increased in price exponentially in the past few years, but even with the economy in the toilet, we still don't get a break.

Thanks for the hugs, I just have to eat this one, and lesson learned for next year!

Comment

I think I paid $65 for shots/administration for my horse this year. I usually haul over to my vet's place to save her time and save me on travel costs.

I believe when we did teeth last year it was $125/horse including sedation et al.

You wanna hear something crazy! My BO has this "horse dentist" that comes out to the barn, she insists that she's the best of the best (we disagree on this point...). She IS NOT a vet, so she has to have a vet come with her to sedate and she hand floats. The charge is usually $400++ PER HORSE. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Comment

I'm a very frugal gal...

I just did spring combo shots and West Nile booster, for $45 (bought the shots from the vet clinic and injected them myself). I think my other vet is more expensive though (and they hate to give them out). I'd never heard of splitting up shots until COTH, btw.

I didn't need teeth floats this year (did have him checked), but last time I think it was $180? Tranq is like $40?? That float was with a power tool, btw. My other vet does it "by hand" and I have no idea what he charges.

Sheath--$0.00. Last time I checked it myself (Feb before horse was sold) and he was clean/bean free. I was armed and ready with printed off instructions on DIY sheath cleaning from COTH though!! Somewhere there is a funny thread. Looks pretty easy (albeit gross).

Last fecal was like $20?

Scheduled farm calls are $75 to our barn. We try to coordinate and split them. The irony is that there is a $20 "haul in" charge, so with gas it is cheaper to have them come out if I can find one other person to split with.

Don't feel bad--I make up your bill in multiples on the breeding costs!
                                      DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just called in the past week
                                        Vet that is dental specialist float & sedation starts at $125, can go to $200 on an older horse
                                        My regular vet (equine only)
                                        EWT, Flue & West Nile Combo $35
                                        Coggins $30
                                        Rabies $20

Both have a trip fee of $60

So I'm looking at $85 per horse with 8 horses. I have a 22 year old that I am pretty sure needs some dental work and my 19 year old will be checked too.

I have one mare that I prefer to haul to the vet since she is a rip snorting terror unless she's put in stocks. This year due to a much lower income I am going to haul them in 2 at a time to save the trip fee and spread the cost out.

Taking 2 in Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                        X