• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Educate me PLEASE!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me PLEASE!

We went to a local circuit show this weekend. Normally, there are some ok horses, some nice ones. About half of the "regulars" on the circuit show at rateds as well with varying degrees of success. But then there was this show.

A local Pony Club group came. I understand not everyone is going to show up in Butets and COs riding $$$ horses, I was stunned at them. Hair hanging out of helmets, rumpled clothes, grungy tack, dirty horses, unclipped horses. You name it. Then they hit the ring. Scary to say the least. The "best" ones did 2'6". Many didn't seem to have any business doing 6".

I realize that PC groups are only as good as their leaders, but WOW! What are they supposed to be learning? At what point do they look around & go - wow! That is what we're supposed to look like!?! Do PCs have thier own horses?

That was my experience as well with some of our local pony club groups. Some are better than others, none are particularly spectacular. In my opinion, the quality of horse education that you can get through a pony club has declined from what it used to be (reportedly, before I was born). The good pony club kids who do quite well use pony club as a secondary means of horse education, just for fun and to do the quiz etc. The ones who rely solely on pony club seem to have missed some important lessons about turnout, safety, and how to you know, ride.

A lot of the ones I have had experience run solely with help of parent volunteers (some horsey, some not). Most are well meaning, but well meaning or not they don't really know a lot about horses. And then there are crazy pony club politics. The ones that didn't rely solely on parents had coaches that volunteered, except sometimes the coaches were graduates of that particular pony club, which used to rely on parent volunteers. So I dunno. When you get a really good set of coaches and parents, I bet it's great. But when it doesn't work out that way, I've seen some disasters. I strongly believe that pony club should not be the only lessons a kid is getting.

And yes, I'm pretty sure pony club kids need to have their own horse or a lease or a borrowed one that is "theirs". In other words, not lesson horses.
    Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
    Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Unfortunately it is true that PC club quality can vary enormously from club to club.

Eons ago when I was a kid doing PC - with Meadowbrook Hounds, a great, well-run group - we had a mix of horse owning and non-owning riders. The parents who ran the club were knowledgeable and worked hard to provide the kids who didn't own their own mounts some opportunities to ride, do their tests, etc, but there were no club-owned horses. Some very generous owners did lend their horses for rallies, lessons, etc. It was a great experience. I still treasure the trophy I won for year end high score in that club, which I earned so long ago, dinosaurs still roamed the earth.

Some years later when I looked into becoming involved in another club as a volunteer, (in another state,) I was absolutely appalled by the way the club was run, using that term loosely. The turnout of the horses and riders was very much as you describe; unkempt, messy... a bit scary. I did wonder what had happened to the really excellent MANUALS that PCs are supposed to follow! After an admittedly somewhat half-hearted effort to raise the standard there, I bailed, and have never been back.

It's a shame that there are so many clubs that fall into that category. I know that the politics in some regions turns off a lot of knowledgeable folks who might otherwise gladly get involved. Without good leadership, it's hard for a club to succeed. Given that there are also plenty of really GOOD clubs out there, preparing kids to be excellent horsemen as well as riders... one would think that parents in the poorly run clubs would notice the difference and do something about it.
      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Instead of staring and commenting on the PC abilities I think of it this way... They all have to start somewhere. For some of them going to these shows and seeing what is accpetable will change their outlook and they will start paying attention to details on their horse and self appearance.

Same with the green horse at an A show. Give em a break ...they have to start somewhere too!

Comment

I did pony club as a kid (and I am only 24), and while not everyone had the best horses, most of them were their own or a long term lease. I remember that turn out was a huge deal, no dirt, no wrinkles, spotless horses etc. Hair may not be up, but had to be neat and in a hair net. Most of the horses were not scary especially at the level of height you are talking about (The D level) most of the younger kids were on packers of some sort (maybe not a hunter packer, but safe and quiet). Our club especially wanted safe horses/ponies, I remember my pony was deemed "unsafe" because he wouldn't stand still for an extended period of time and could be funny around some people because he had been abused.

I agree that it can really vary from club to club. At the same time I am sure everyone also knows a "hunter" trainer who doesn't always have the best turn out of horses or best horses for the job. People who are outside of the hunter world and have bad horses really stand out.

I really really liked pony club as a whole. Looking back there were a lot of politics and bad leadership in places. I only did it until I was about 13 so I didn't get that then. I did learn a lot and at the Rallies they are super picky about turnout and safety, and it is a great way for children to really learn to work together and do things right. At the rallies you have no adult with chores and getting ready and being on time.
          http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

Turnout in general seems to have become a lost art. I would NEVER allow my daughter or myself to enter a show ring looking less than ready. I remember back in my youth a pony club that was wicked good when it came to what they did. Of course, most had money and probably rode elsewhere as well.
            A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

A lot of our locals are like that, too, though I deal mostly in 4-H and not PC. A lot of the schooling shows in my area do not require formal dress, which is not a bad thing for lesson kids who don't own their own horses and who might show once a year-clean breeches, safe boots, neat shirt and helmet are acceptable, and we try not to judge. My 4-H kids go in as neat as possible and are not allowed to ride above their level, but we are there to have fun and give them the opportunity to try. That's kind of the accepted level for those shows.

OTOH, I did not (and still don't, truth be told) appreciate being beaten in a showmanship class where the other competitors had shirts untucked, hair a mess, no helmet, horse's hooves not oiled, etc-AND they didn't know the quarter system. My horse took 2 steps to pick up the trot in hand, but really? In SHOWMANSHIP?

OTOH again, when I was in New Hampshire and a 4-H leader, our club's kids didn't show without proper turnout of horse and human. We kept a box of hand-me-downs in good condition that teh bigger kids had outgrown, and the othr leader or I were known to lend to the bigger kids if they needed something they couldn't buy. Horses were always braided and clipped, etc. Other club leaders used ours an example, and we were very proud of that.

To me, though, what I guess it boils down to at our very local level is that the kids present the best picture they can with what they have. If that means rubber boots all shined up and Mom's blazer, than good on them for the effort-and shame on anyone who doesn't put in any effort at all.

Comment

I can only speak for our pony club but our kids know how to turn out properly. One rally at the D level will teach you that. Picky, picky in horse management, safe tack and cleanliness.

Most kids have their own or leased pony or horse of varying quality. We have a range of riding ability from unrated up through HA. All of them are expected to have their own trainer as well as take advantage of the opportunities offered by pony club.

We pay our instructors and have brought in some great people. Names probably more recognizable in eventing circles but excellent instructors.

I'm with Hunter Mom, I'd beat my daughter with a stick if she turned up for a lesson unkempt let alone show up for a competition looking less than polished.

Comment

No, a lot of PCers don't have their own horses. I never rated up on my own horse in the 10 years I was in PC. Mine died before I had a chance to. So I begged and borrowed rides, sometimes going to jumping clinics on a horse I never sat on before, my C2 rating on a friend's horse I had ridden a handful of times and jumped twice.

In my club, cleanliness and neatness was paramount, but not always what you would expect at a hunter show. God forbid your tail have dandruff, but a clipped horse? Not common. That sheath better be clean, but braids? Not encouraged.

Jackets and breeches are often borrowed, or second hand, because these are growing kids, with parents who don't often know appropriate hunter show attire.

So turnout, even meeting PC standards, is different than at hunter shows.

As for the riding, that is my biggest pet peeve with PC these days. The "instructors" are downright scary, and some of the riding not much better.

Comment

Henry - I agree that, for many, having all the "right" show clothes isn't feasable. If your kid is only going to show once in a year, why WOULD you go and buy a jacket, etc.? However, that once a year kid CAN have their hair put up neatly, clothes clean and tack and horse sparkling. OP said they weren't clean or clipped - neither is expensive or unreasonable no matter how small the show is.

We go to some small barn shows, some local ciruit shows and some rated shows, and the expectation is always the same in our barn, except we reserve braiding for rated shows. Unfortunately, I've seen at least one area barn who doesn't seem to teach turnout either.

Comment

Clipped is not practical if the horses are living out, as many would be to keep costs down.

But certainly the horses can be clean, the tack can be clean, and the hair can be tidy.

Perhaps they learned something and next time they'll be back a bit better prepared.
                      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Wasn't going to but a list of our recent instructors:

Cherie Gaebel http://sedgemerefarm.com/

Justine Dutton
                        http://sportponiesuk.com/

Susie Beale
                        http://www.comstables.com/Cairn_OMou...s/Welcome.html

Sally Lofting
                        http://sallylofting.com/

Tim Mellot
                        http://web.me.com/tmsporthorses/TMSPORTHORSES/HOME.html

These are the people that you may have heard of - yes they are mostly event trainers but that tends to be pony club's focus. We also have young and rising trainers come in to teach. These are not necessarily people who are graduates of our club or any other pony club for that matter. They are competent qualified instructors.

It has been a bad winter and our club is planning on bringing in a hunter trainer to freshen up the equitation skills of the kids. So, I think it may be a regional thing. Our club is very conscious about teaching horsemanship. Of course, it is up to the kids and the parents to take advantage of all that is being offered.

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post
                          Clipped is not practical if the horses are living out, as many would be to keep costs down.
                          I meant clipped as in bridle paths, whiskers under the jaw, etc. Not body clipped.

Comment

Hunter Mom, the kids should be clipped. I don't care where you are going you should look presentable. They would be dinged in horse management at rallies Hard for showing up like that.

If they go to dressage rally many of them would have a show coat - it might be black but they would have a coat. So really there is no excuse other than the fact that the adults in charge aren't doing a good job.

Comment

One question: is this an actual USPC chapter, or just a local group that calls itself a "pony club"?
                              The Little Red Mare: French Curve

and my non-horse blog: oh, rebecca!

Comment

• Original Poster

This group is listed online on the USPC site as an actual USPC chapter. It really was sad. I felt so badly for these kids who were woefully unprepared. They show at this particular show each year as it's local to them, so there really isn't any excuse for the leader to not know what is expected. The leader in this case has been affiliated with their chapter for some time now.

I don't really expect everyone to show up wearing the best and latest fashions. I don't expect everyone to be on a fancy WB. I just felt like they really needed some help in the turnout realm. I'm thinking of volunteering to help them with it.

Comment

We give a "best turned out" award at our shows to encourage correct turn out. It is not about who has the most expensive clothes/tack! It is about CLEAN, neat, tidy and workmanlike! It is a passive way to let the kids (and their trainers) know that it is a horse SHOW and turn out IS important!! (many horses lost those nasty manure stains from one show to the next! Yeah! Success!!!)
                                  The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Comment

Hmmm, then that is a quandary.

I only asked because I have heard of rag-tag little outfits that call themselves pony clubs and are not actually affiliated with USPC. If that were the case, it'd be a little more understandable, as they aren't actually "governed" as such or whatnot.

Volunteering to help them would be great, but it can be a sticky situation, as they could easily take your suggestion of help the wrong way and be offended. Personally, I would do something like "hey, do you guys need another pair of helping hands? I love doing this kind of stuff!" versus an "I noticed you need help in xx and yy, mind if I pitch in?" And if/once you get "in," I would try to lead by quiet example rather than diving right in and telling people the right way to do things vs the wrong way.

Buuuuut, that is just me - I can be very stubborn/proud in many respects, so if someone had these opinions about my club and volunteered to help, I'd be a little less resistant to their assistance if they corrected whatever we were doing wrong in a quiet, helpful manner than in a "fix this, fix that, FIX IT!" way. Does that make sense?

I'm babbling, sorry. Long day/week/month, and I need a nap.

Any which way you go, good luck and I hope it works out for everyone! Good for you for trying to help
                                    The Little Red Mare: French Curve

and my non-horse blog: oh, rebecca!

Comment

I agree with ohrebecca. We are lucky to have plenty of horsey parents in our club. But, if we had to rely on the non-horsey parents to get everything organized I can see where things could deteriorate.

I think it is great that you want to volunteer. PC can always use more helping hands. As long as you handle the situation tactfully they will probably be grateful for the help.

Comment

I was in PC up til 1999 and occassionally teach PC lessons at my current barn.

I think like others have said it really depends on the club and what they focus on.

At our PC turn out was important for lessons/clinics, rallies and shows. many of our riders did not only PC but were very competitive in dressage, h/j and eventing. Those that did PC and h/j learned the nuances of proper h/j turnout after a few shows, but never did they look untidy/unkempt.

We looked the part and so did our horses, and did i mention we did it all ourselves

I have seen rag-tag turnout everywhere and it can be from random lesson barns, to 4-H to PC it again all has to do with barn or club leadership.
                                        \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

Comment

Working...
                                        X