• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I would like your opinions! ;)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like your opinions! ;)

Yet another horse 'critique' thread. But I like these threads when people post them, so why not? I am going to see this horse tomorrow. He's in my price range at 12k. I want something to do up to 3'-3'3'' with. Right now with my leased horse I am doing 2'6'' as he's not the easiest ride and I'm a wimp I want something quiet, I like the way he moves, he's big, has a personality- and my loftiest goals are just local A shows, maybe Tampa or Venice. He seems slender, but otherwise perfect for what I want. But- I'm no expert especially not in the bigger shows (ie: anything above a schooling show, ahah), do you think he will be able to hold his own against the 'nicer' warmbloods? I know he definitely needs some work, and I don't think the rider helped much in presenting him perfectly. I noticed he swapped leads one stride in front of the fence, and he is kind of sloppy over the smaller fences, loose-kneed. Maybe he needs some gymnastics or has been jumping 2' for too long.

Anyways, watch the video, let me know what you think of him, oh- he also has a hideous brand that I hope is clipped during the picture taking and video session here. I really don't like it!

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp3QERoZ3ac

Thanks so much!

ETA: Here is another link to him jumping 3'. Read the caption, it mentions something about his weight. I think he jumped pretty nicely for something that was out of shape.. http://www.youtube.com/user/sandcayp.../0/wIjR5txrd4M
    Last edited by Catomine; Feb. 25, 2010, 04:31 AM.
    But George Morris still wears rust-colored breeches- so can I!

If you are looking for something quiet then he certainly looks very quiet and slow. I'm used to whizzing about, speedy horses so he actually looks painfully slow to me.

Those jumps look more like 2'6" (max) than 3'3" so they don't really show what he would be capable of.

The brand looks like they have clipped it - it won't look so silly once the hair has grown back so I wouldn't worry about that.

Anyway, horses for courses, if you like him and get along with him when you try him then that's all that matters

Comment

not my type....but probably useful
      "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
      carolprudm

Comment

I never post here, but I too love these type threads!
        I'd like to think for the price you could find something nicer, and that at 10 has been showing(it doesn't say he has or hasn't). Conformationally cute face, looks weak loin. Weird tail carriage, and maybe to much action for hunters.
        Davey Farm Sport Horses
        Hamburg, PA
        www.daveyfarm.com

Comment

Do you need a 17HH horse? It's a long way to the ground! Also, he has a kind of "bump" in the croup area that I'm not used to seeing. Just my opinion, but I'd never pay anywhere near $12,000 for this horse.
          Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Comment

The horse is cute and seems like a good boy, but I would not likely pay $12 000 for him.

I think you could probably find something better in the same price range.
            Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
            Like us on Facebook!

Comment

OK, here is another one I don't dislike. Actually alot to like here on a budget. BUT...OP wants to move up to 3'-3'3" at decent shows and I don't see it here.

OP asks if this one could hold his own against WBs at a USEF A rated at 3'-3'3"? Nope. Not against TBs or other appendix QHs competent at that level either. Local at 2'6"? I'd go look if that is what my goals were. He is quiet and knows a ton including changes...certainly does not need a sophisticated ride and I'll leave that there.

Not dissing the sellers here or this horse. He is well and fairly presented. See no issue with weight, he is just the lanky kind of appendix you often see and they do include honest conformation shots I wish more would include.

But he is 10. Maybe to them at the shows they do he has a big stride. I don't see it. He does not track up at all at walk and trot (step at least into the hoofprint). His back end conformation and angles say he cannot-that straight hip and set back hock are why he does not track up, he can't. That will always limit step and ability to push off and go round over bigger jumps.

The jump round at 3' is what we would call a very friendly 3'. No real spreads (3' oxers are 3' wide too and more then a few rails on 2 sets of standards), no stuffing or filler to really get him to work to get over and no real solid faux wall or roll top that actually tops at 3' (the solid part, not a rail 6" over the top). He is pretty resistent in the bridle at this height, obviously uncomfortable. He is slooooow into his lead changes instead of flowing forward, indication he really has to open up to get over then has to slow way down to balance, again consistent with a shorter step.

Anyway...think this one is what he is in the first video at an also friendly 2'6" and is about topped out there. If that is what you want, go take a look.

Catomine, can you look at some videos of the WEF Classic or something? Just go on Youtube and watch Hunter rounds? Don't come back with a link and ask us what we think. Just watch about 100 of them. These things sort themselves out if you watch enough.

Just remember that you may not be in the market for a 250k WEF winner BUT there is no reason you can't get as much of what makes that one a winner in a lower cost horse as you can. You don't need the big jump and fancy movement-you need the underlying structure to create it. Some flaws you can live with but, if it ain't there? Not going to be able to do it.
              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

If the horse has show milage is quiet and easy to ride and is sound, why wouldn't 12K be a good price for the horse?

I didn't like the rider on this horse, lost of bouncing around and leaning this way or that and sort of causing the horse to do weird things with it's body.

Are there a lot of 12K horses out on the market that are way better than this? I'm not being contentious, I'm just curious.

I am commenting only on the second video. The first one I'm just now watching.

Okay, I watched the 1st video and the horse looks like a saint. He doesn't care about the ride he's getting where the jockey has her hands up to her hips, standing in the stirrups 2 strides out from the jumps, he just keeps trucking around.

If you're looking for a horse to learn on, he looks like he'd be a good one!
                Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post
                  Are there a lot of 12K horses out on the market that are way better than this? I'm not being contentious, I'm just curious.
                  I think, right now, there are...

Comment

Originally posted by Catomine View Post
                    I noticed he swapped leads one stride in front of the fence, and he is kind of sloppy over the smaller fences, loose-kneed.
                    I think the swapped leads has to do with the riders, both of them, leaning left and right and throwing him off balance. Some horses don't care about this but most do and will swap when there is so much going on in the tack.

I think the quality of canter that is being generated has much to do with the quality of the jump coming out of this horse.

The pointy butt might be an issue.... might just be fitness and weight or it might be something more serious like a pevlic injury.

Comment

If the horse has show milage is quiet and easy to ride and is sound, why wouldn't 12K be a good price for the horse?

I didn't like the rider on this horse, lost of bouncing around and leaning this way or that and sort of causing the horse to do weird things with it's body.

I am commenting only on the second video. The first one I'm just now watching.

Okay, I watched the 1st video and the horse looks like a saint. He doesn't care about the ride he's getting where the jockey has her hands up to her hips, standing in the stirrups 2 strides out from the jumps, he just keeps trucking around.

If you're looking for a horse to learn on, he looks like he'd be a good one!
                      agree, yes, 200%

Comment

JMO but I don't think you can get the kind of training this horse looks to have, and the mileage, and the ability to tolerate that kind of a ride in a horse with the step and ability to go A at 3' for 12k.

This one, you are paying for a whole lot of training, attitude and safety. If that is your primary goal and you are happy around 2'6", he is worth a look. Kind of a nice school horse type.

If your primary goal is more...you may have to compromise somewhere and the more likely place would be experience-that you can give them. you can't change the physical limits.

Again, JMO but you MIGHT be able to find something in the 15-17k that has the training and the physical package to be half way competitive at 3', just lacks the miles or is not fancy.

Comment

I think he has potential. He seems extremely quiet and can take a joke. So, I like that part. I like the video of him in his stall, he seems like a good citizen.

The things I don't like are mostly things that can be fixed. He just seems kind of big and gangly to me. When he goes around he almost looks ewe necked. I wonder how he would look with 3 months of hill work & really riding him from back to front. I'm not crazy about the way he moves now but with a more muscly topline that might improve.

I dislike his tailset, and he swishes a lot which draws attention to it.

Overall though I like him...just probably not at $12k as he still seems like a project to me (and IMO green-ish AQHA/appendix do not command the same price as the WB's). I guess it just comes down to how much you are willing to spend on a project.
                          Originally posted by barka.lounger
                          u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

Horse has no clue what his hind end is supposed to do. he's painfully on the forehand to the point in the first video I thought he was going to fall over!
                            I think that's why he looks blah over and to the jumps. if he was taken back to square one, taught to rock back, flex his joints and move from his engine, there'd be a nice horse in there.
                            at this stage of his game I'd say he's worth $3k, without looking at a pedigree.
                            that said that lower back on him is troublesome.
                            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

3K? Really?

I must be completely out of touch with reality!!!

I better start shopping for horses under saddle a little more earnestly so I can compare how my horses are priced!

Comment

3K? Really?

I must be completely out of touch with reality!!!

I better start shopping for horses under saddle a little more earnestly so I can compare how my horses are priced!
                                I agree $3k is way too low. I was thinking more like $8k-$10k.
                                Originally posted by barka.lounger
                                u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

The part of this horse that is worth $12,000 is not his looks, his movement, or his jump. It's that darned amazing brain he's got. Wow, what a tolerant horse.

OP, think about whether you really need a 3' horse. Because a legit 3' horse to show at the As is going to be a lot more than 12k if it has anything NEAR the brain this horse has. And since you are a rider who self-describes as nervous, I would buy a brain and training instead of looks. He's cute and perfectly serviceable as a 2'6 and maybe 2'9 horse. That may be all you really need. Plus, I think you would have a lot of fun on him, and be able to get back the confidence your previous horse is taking from you. That alone is worth his price tag.

That said, if you like him I would offer 10k or maybe even a little less. It never hurts to ask. Do a good vet check to see if there's any hind end problem.

Comment

I like him. He looks willing, safe, he has a lead change, it doesn't look like 3' is a problem. 12k doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I expect good solid flatwork over a few months would improve the quality of his movement.

Personally, I would take this guy and his nice outlook on life over the fancier horse that needs an attitude adjustment. If I'd seen this guy two years ago you might have some competition for him Good luck.
                                    The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

I'm not a huge fan. What concerns me:

1. He looks built VERY downhill.

2. Feet look tiny compared to his size

3. He's skinny (part of the reason for that bump on his back). What's he going to be like when he's fed.

4. Ewe necked... I'm would bet he carries himself that way to balance out the downhill build. You can change some of this, but it will always be his tendency. Why not find something built better so you're not constantly fighting?

5. 17h. Unless absolutely necessary, I avoid taller horses. IMO, they just aren't as sound. Most people don't need a 17h...especially one as narrow as this. A shorter, rounder horse would take up as much or more leg.

6. Price. He look like a $6-7k horse to me...in this market.
                                      Last edited by RugBug; Feb. 25, 2010, 01:43 PM.
                                      Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                      Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post

OP, think about whether you really need a 3' horse... And since you are a rider who self-describes as nervous, I would buy a brain and training instead of looks. He's cute and perfectly serviceable as a 2'6 and maybe 2'9 horse. That may be all you really need. Plus, I think you would have a lot of fun on him, and be able to get back the confidence your previous horse is taking from you. That alone is worth his price tag.

That is precisely what I was thinking. Is OP sure she wants to "buy up" to a USEF quality A level 3'/3'3"er on the chance she MAY get there? Or go for something like this that can get over but is better lower and best shown more locally? They do have 2'6" now at many, many big USEF A circuits. Just as much fun and it is the same size and color ribbon with the same logo.

Now, this guy, IMO, is 10 (probably 11 this year), and has obviously been doing what he does for years. I don't see some start over project that is going to radically change and miraculously become a 3'3" A show circuit quality horse.
                                        And why should he? He is fine for what he is and what he knows.

He may be fine for the OP too. She needs to decide that one. I'd think about that seriously-narrow that goal down a little instead of the broad safe and sane confidenc builder right now with an eye for the USEF AAs at 3'3" in the future-for 15k or under.

I guess what would be a better way to put this is do you want to get on and ride what you see in these videos? I'd ride this one in a heartbeat.

Not saying run out and buy it but there are others just like this one in this price range a nickle short of major AA competition but ready to go ride now and be competitive at the other 95% of the shows out there.

Comment

Working...
                                        X