• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Naughty small pony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naughty small pony

I have a nine year old small welsh pony. He is such a nice pony when he is being good and he is unbeatable in the summer. However, he is AWFUL in the winter. He is terrified about one corner in the arena. However, some days he'll trot right past without batting an ear. But, the other days he'll stop and refuse to go forward. The barn owner/ main trainer tells the girls to crack him one when he does this but he has begun bucking then spinning. I am just at my wits end. He is a pony i bought when he was younger in hopes of training and reselling however, this just seems like a deal breaker. We live in northern NH area so winter is a substantial part of our climate. I originally bought him for the barn owner's daughter, however she grew much faster than expected and now at age fifteen is 6'2"! So her riding him is kind of unreasonable. Any advice would be welcomed!!

In my experience, whipping or punishing a pony when he is afraid of something is counter productive. You are only confirming that there is a reason to be afraid of that spot or a certain activity. I would suggest an older more experienced rider school him in the arena - if he stops at that spot get off, lead him over to the corner, pet and reassure him -maybe give a treat. Get back on try again. With our ponies, using repetetive small steps with positive reinforcement works - but you have to have patience. Getting mad at a stubborn pony will probably not help. I am sure it is frustrating and I wish you success.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Comment

Ooh i see what you're saying. That makes a lot of sense and i have nothing to lose trying it. Thanks so much!

Comment

I had a VERY similar situation. My daughter's small was DEAD quiet when we got him, would cart a 3 yr old walk/trotter around like a complete babysitter. then our first winter hit, we clipped him, and no amount of lunging/turnout/quietex could keep ANYONE on him. He would spook at anything and everything, bolt at the drop of a dime and was completely unrideable. It got to the point where we were THIS close to sending him back.

However, this winter (our second winter with him)...we opted not to clip him and deal with a less attractive hairy pony and when it's very cold we ride him with a quarter sheet and he is a completely different pony. I trust him with anyone and he is a saint again. The truth is he was just TOO COLD.

some ponies the answer is as easy as this, especially if they are saintly in the summer.

Comment

I have a few like this and we ride outside all winter in PA. You just have to manage them. Lots of turnout, I stuff their ears which really helps and 1/4 sheets for temps under 45 FOR really cold weather I put on 2 and they are not clipped. Make sure that when you tack up that they aren't naked. Keep a cooler or put 1/4 sheet on right away. You don't want them to get chilled.

Yes, ponys can withstand very cold temps but the question is can a kid stay on a pony that is fresh from the cold? A chilly pony is a FRESH pony. Keep them extra warm.

Good luck!

Comment

Feed him in that corner of the arena if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
              I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

Have you ever seen a pony dragging a small child toward/into a feed room? Or dragging a little rider around in a grass ring because they're more interested in eating than working?

Feeding in the corner, IMO, is a solution more appropriate for a horse than a strong willed children's pony.

Comment

Get him to refocus on the job at hand. Don't let him look at anything, only concentrate 100% on what the rider is asking. This means lots of circles, bending, anything that makes the pony have to think about the rider and not what ever else is happening.

Comment

ponies that hate winter

I have one too! We are in Mass so every year it's the same old same old. I have had mine for 11 years so I can attest to the fact that anytime the temp goes below 32 she is a completely different pony. She goes from a beginner bomb proof saint to tense, spooky and "up". Some things that I have done to manage her in the winter over the years is:

Try really hard not to body clip and if you do then do it early in Oct so is can grow out a bit.
                  She needs more blankets than everyone else (2 heavy w neck and 1 med this weekend).
                  I assist in the tacking up so that it is done very quickly and she is never naked, always has a quarter sheet and a cooler. We groom after the ride when she is warm.
                  I make sure she is in her stall by 3:00pm before the temp drops again. Then she eats hay to warm up before riding.
                  She needs to go right to work when they are on.
                  She was always worse when we were at an indoor and alot of times she would need a lunge before she was ridden. Now we ride outside and most of the time it is warmer than an indoor so that helps. If it is really cold we just don't ride and all the horses and ponies do just fine.
                  I also pick my winter shows and make sure the temp will hit at least 35 for this girl.

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by HunterRider992 View Post
                    Get him to refocus on the job at hand. Don't let him look at anything, only concentrate 100% on what the rider is asking. This means lots of circles, bending, anything that makes the pony have to think about the rider and not what ever else is happening.
                    This.

I had the same issue with my pony, and what it took to fix the problem was realizing that no one else who rode him had the problem -- they all ignored him when he started getting silly in the "haunted" corner of our indoor arena! Once I took my trainer's advice and learned to (a) redirect his attention and (b) stop rewarding the spookiness by reacting, he almost never did it again.

That said, my guy never got to the point yours did -- his episodes consisted of a short bolt or sideways spook -- so it might be worthwhile to find a trainer or experienced rider, someone who won't abuse your pony, to ride him "nonreactively" for a bit before you try it again. It'll help your nerves, which in turn will help your pony's. Good luck!

Comment

Have you tried having whoever is riding him walk him to the corner he is afraid of and standing there for a minute before mounting? Maybe even mount him in the scary corner?

Comment

My mare is like this about one area in the ring. There are woods along this side, and I have come off many times as she spun around or took off bucking at something I can't even see. I do think there is something back there when she spooks - a rabbit or barn dogs or whatever. But, it still is not okay for her to do this.

I have walked her through the area over and over, and I have asked her to follow quieter horses through the area. For us, following a quieter horse gave us the best results when we tried to go through alone. I've done turns on the forehand and side passing to occupy her mind and get her listening to me instead of the crickets in the woods. All these things have helped. We also started trail riding through said spooky the woods. We started out with friends and worked up to the point where we would go out for an hour by ourselves. She occasionally spooks on the trails, but I have learned how to get her back and listening to me. I think this gave us both more confidence in each other and after two years, she doesn't even blink an eye in the scary corner. Good luck!
                        My blog: Journeys in Riding

Comment

Originally posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
                          This does work. Infact. I'd stand in the corner with pepermints and give him a treat about 10 times when he comes into the corner, then I'd move out around the corner and if he trots through the corner he gets a treat each time. Then I'd do it every other time and then every third time, until he loves that corner. Mix it up. Sometimes stand in that corner, sometimes have the rider ride him into the corner and then walk over with your treat, sometimes trot by the corner and then give him a treat.

You really won't create a monster. Nothing is more food motivated than a Labrador Retreiver and we use treats all the time to train them.

Comment

I was not expecting all of these wonderful replies! I really appreciate it.
                            Today, I went to the barn and found that he was actually outside! Turnout is very very limited in the winter here due to an unavoidable icy patch going out to the pastures. The pastures are supposed to be redone during the spring. However, I got him and brought him in and i made him stay down in that corner and rewarded his good behavior instead of punishing his fear. He was much much better but i can't tell if it was a combination of this and turn out but i will definitely be speaking to my trainer on Tuesday about getting him out during the day.
                            Thanks again for all your responses!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
                              I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

Have you ever seen a pony dragging a small child toward/into a feed room? Or dragging a little rider around in a grass ring because they're more interested in eating than working?

Feeding in the corner, IMO, is a solution more appropriate for a horse than a strong willed children's pony.
                              I wouldn't leave the feed in the corner while the pony is being ridden.

Comment

Originally posted by llsc View Post
                                This does work. Infact. I'd stand in the corner with pepermints and give him a treat about 10 times when he comes into the corner, then I'd move out around the corner and if he trots through the corner he gets a treat each time. Then I'd do it every other time and then every third time, until he loves that corner. Mix it up. Sometimes stand in that corner, sometimes have the rider ride him into the corner and then walk over with your treat, sometimes trot by the corner and then give him a treat.

You really won't create a monster. Nothing is more food motivated than a Labrador Retreiver and we use treats all the time to train them.
                                That's exactly right!

Comment

This is not an uncommon problem, nor is it limited to ponies!!! As others have said - keep them warm (early clip, 1/4 sheets etc), keep them tired (all day turnout, free lunge in indoor), control their calories (senior feed), and here are a few other thiings that work too-

Teach pony to leg yield and shoulder in, so you can keep the pony busy as you go by spot. Dont ride straight at the spot - work up to it gradually, so you are always in a position of 'ribs towards, nose away'

Have someone stand in bad corner with treats or another horse. Have helper led pony over if need be and then feed a treat. Let pony loose in Indoor with treats in scary corner - this works for spooky jumps too.

Remember - he's cold and wild and bored. . . he's not bad (I'm presuming you can ride around the indoor just fine in the summer if you so choose. . . )
                                  Dina
                                  www.olddominionsaddlery.com
                                  http://www.facebook.com/olddominionsaddlery Like us on Facebook!!

Comment

OMG PocketChange....You just described my horse to a "T" in the winter!! It takes me 20/30 min lungeing, ride for 30/45 min and cool him down 20/30 min...Makes for a LONG/COLD winter at the barn. But I have to say, this past winter, I have learned alot with this horse! He is a good teacher on how to handle these situations.
                                    In the summer, he is Mr. Wonderful.

Best of luck with your pony!

Comment

Thanks guys!!!!

Comment

Someone on here once posted a phrase that I love-

"Ponies are evil, because they're closer to hell."

I think that about sums it up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X