• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is turnout becoming a lost art? Make 2010 The Year of Good Turnout!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is turnout becoming a lost art? Make 2010 The Year of Good Turnout!

Maybe it was from spending my childhood in ASB/Arab world. Maybe it is my own personality. I was looking back at some photos of last season, though, and have to wonder - just why doesn't turnout seem as important as it used to be?

I realize people don't braid for a variety of reasons - but you can still turn a horse out nicely without braiding. It isn't hard to bathe & groom well, clip whiskers, legs & bridle path, pull a mane and clean your tack. It isn't that hard to make sure your clothes and boots are clean (minus, of course, the green goober that happened between the time the paddock tells you you're next and you enter the arena). It isn't hard to find clothes that fit and are neat - as a mom of a growing kid I know you can find clothes that fit a kid without breaking the bank. It isn't hard to make sure your hair is neat and tidy (hunter hair or no). These things don't take a lot of money.

I have the privilege of sitting with judges and announcing at several shows each year. Each time, there are several riders and one whole barn who show up with mud on their horses feet, unkempt manes and dingy coats. There are some that wear clothes that are several sizes too big. I hear what the judges say about this - those who don't take the time to present yourself and your horse well aren't taken seriously. When they're watching the 300th trip of the day, they want to know you care what you look like - not that you feel they're not important enough to present yourself well.

This is the time of year to start getting your horse ready for spring shows. Spend the time now putting in some extra elbow grease. Start pulling manes now. Try on your clothes from last year and see if they fit adn are in good repair. If they don't fit - get them tailored or start scouring eBay or the consignment shops for deals. If they need fixing, get them fixed.

Just the mom in me trying to help everyone remember how to do the best you can this year!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Yep, judged several of those last saturday....you dont have to be rich to turn out well. You just need to give a darn...and unfortunately, less people do every day.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Comment

I agree! And this plays into the thread I started about EQ and going back to riding CORRECTLY, and making yourself "invisible". lets get back to things that really MATTER, lets have PRIDE again, lets not do the "fad of the day" thing. Its NOT all about instant gratification, its should be MORE about how you feel about how you ride and how you present yourself and your horse!!
      www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

I am afraid we are swimming upstream Carrie....sigh
        "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
        carolprudm

Comment

Hey Missy jsut grab a paddle and lets get this boat moving! LOL
          www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

I love good turnout... but I don't clip whiskers.
            Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

i agree 100% ! it drives me nuts when i see feathers and super long whiskers on a horse at a show. i mean, come on. it's not that hard. is your horse afraid of clippers? well, good thing they make "pony shavers" for the muzzle and you can certainly take some scissors to the feathers

bad turnout is my pet peeve.
              (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

If you ride with my trainer, you'd better show up to party, or you'll regret it.
                Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

I read this whole post thinking you were talking about turn outs...as in letting your horse run around and be free. I was really confused until it finally clicked. This is what four college lectures in a day will do to your brain...

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree. I don't have an endless pocket, but I take every pain to ensure that me and my horse are tidy and presented in our best light. I'm almost neurotic with my tack...it all has to be just right! Not only does it make a pretty picture, but good turnout shows respect, and it really doesn't take that much effort.
                  Equestrianism
                  Photography

Comment

Horses are meant to have whiskers. They help them feel. They are also meant to have hair in their ears to keep the bugs out. While I will trim the hairs that stick out of the bottom of their ears, I leave the rest alone. I shave my horses white socks to help with scratches and that takes care of the "feathers." I'm an eventer, but I turn my horse out impeccably and groom my trainers mount's as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kookicat View Post
                      I love good turnout... but I don't clip whiskers.
                      I'm with you -- I wouldn't want to do anything that might discourage them from drinking --
                      "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Comment

Originally posted by superpony123 View Post
                        i agree 100% ! it drives me nuts when i see feathers and super long whiskers on a horse at a show. i mean, come on. it's not that hard. is your horse afraid of clippers? well, good thing they make "pony shavers" for the muzzle and you can certainly take some scissors to the feathers

bad turnout is my pet peeve.
                        Unless your horse needs to be tranqed for any type of scissors, razor or god forbid clippers getting near his ears or muzzle.... I am sorry my horse is not a hunter and even when he was, I will draw the line at tranqing him almost every week just for that. And it is not that he can simply go on ace he needs full out heavy duty tranqs to calm him enough for that, so I draw the line there. When he did the hunters it never affected our placings because every other part of him was turned out to perfection.

Comment

Bathe, clip, & braid. If you just use rubber bands for a schooling show thats fine by me, but a pretty picture makes for pretty pictures (:

Comment

Good turnout is really a pet peeve of mine - how hard is it to brush your horse every day you ride?! I take pride in my horse's coat. After she comes off vacation in March I pull her mane, brush her until she shines, clean up her tail and clip her whiskers. I leave the ears because the flies are brutal otherwise and I show jumpers, so I can just pop an ear bonnet on her for showing. I would clip them if she were a hunter though, and invest in a fly mask with earpieces. I also don't paint hooves (or braid) for most jumper classes, classics excepted. My motto is: if they don't look ready to show a hunter derby at Wellington, they're not show ready.

I have a little bit of a reputation as a grooming fanatic, it's true, but hot damn my horse looks good!
                            http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

Comment

I agree - some people just don't take the time and have the pride in their turnout

Personally, I LOVE getting my horses ready for the ring!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchMeIfUCan View Post
                                Horses are meant to have whiskers. They help them feel. They are also meant to have hair in their ears to keep the bugs out. While I will trim the hairs that stick out of the bottom of their ears, I leave the rest alone. I shave my horses white socks to help with scratches and that takes care of the "feathers." I'm an eventer, but I turn my horse out impeccably and groom my trainers mount's as well.
                                I agree with this too- I trim anything poking out, but apart from that, I leave their ears alone.
                                Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

I agree, but have you TRIED one of the shaver things?? I am no longer allowed to touch them ( they are dangerous LOL). Our ponies are groomed daily each time we ride. For the winter I don't body clip but they have shiny clean coats and healthy manes and tails. The girls are dressed well, mainly consignment or hand me downs but neat and well fitted! I cover their boots until they are ready to go in the ring and we BRAID for every show local , fun or rated, I need the practice and its a good excuse to practice.
                                  Good turn out is a reflection of your respect for the judge . You only get ONE chance to make a first impression and with a kid who is 6 and just starting her show career we cannot yet depend on a guaranteed STELLAR performance to carry her along ( it will come I am sure LOL) so we better start out with EXCELLENT turnout!
                                  Kim
                                  If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

Originally posted by sansibar View Post
                                    Unless your horse needs to be tranqed for any type of scissors, razor or god forbid clippers getting near his ears or muzzle.... I am sorry my horse is not a hunter and even when he was, I will draw the line at tranqing him almost every week just for that. And it is not that he can simply go on ace he needs full out heavy duty tranqs to calm him enough for that, so I draw the line there. When he did the hunters it never affected our placings because every other part of him was turned out to perfection.
                                    Not to mention if you traq too soon before the show, you will risk a positive if you are randomly tested. And if its too far out, the whiskers grow out! While I perfer to keep my horse's muzzle clipped, I personally don't care about fuzzy ears or eyes etc. That hair is there for a purpose and have you ever seen a horse that gets a nasty infection from gnat bites on their clipped ears in the summer? And those long whiskers by their eyes are there for a reason not just decoration.
                                    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm a guy, I'll admit "Barbie Horse Moments" aren't on my list of fun to do....BUT, my horse and mule are vacuumed/Anivac'd and brushed whenever I'm at the barn. They're healthier and happier having attention paid to them.

I'm one of those people who don't use a brush on their horse's mane or tail My old grooms had a fit if I ever got near one of the horses with a brush...they'd yell, "Look at the bloody long hairs on the brush, you know how bloody long it took for that hair to grow that long!?" No more brushing tails/manes, I learned my lesson.

I do see a lot of people having their horses smart for their classes, but grubby at the barn when they ride. Your horse's coat shouldn't shine due to that horrid Showsheen crap.
                                      "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

I agree. It's very discouraging to see dirty horses, thin horses, unkempt horses out there competing. If someone has a problem with clipping wiskers or ear hair, the horse should still be gleaming with good care when he is presented at a show. It's not something that can be accomplished with one bath, but rather is the result of consistent and regular care.

One trend that I see in my area is the huge emphasis on "equitation"- as in "the horse is just a tool to showcase the rider." The IEA shows are growing by the minute around here. While it's a fun and interesting concept (you don't have to "own" a horse, just show up and draw a mount and compete) I think it encourages this idea that the horse is just a piece of sports equipment that is rented for the day (bowling shoes anyone?). The things I have seen at those shows makes me very, very sad. 40 or 50 rental horses will be hauled in for the day of showing. Many of them (like the majority) are in a sad, sad state. The riders are spit polished, but they ride around on these pitiful nags who are held, tacked up for hours on end. I saw one fully tacked horse this season (dirty and unclipped) stretch out and pee in the parking lot while his teenaged holder squeeled "ewww!" I don't know why, but that made me really sad.

I've said it before, but we live in a "child-centric" society. And achievement is the name of the game. The children are over-scheduled with academics and competitive sports. Horses are expensive and time consuming. Many parents don't have the money to PAY for the good care that results in "good turnout" and most children lack the TIME to do it themselves. There are very few true "barn rats" that learn to groom properly, care for injuries, clip, braid, etc. But boy, they want to show!

I'm one of the few trainers around here that loves and promotes the hunter divisions. I'm sick to death of all the emphasis on equitation. Let's get back to being all about the horse! Let's get back to the true PURPOSE of equitation- doing better by the horse!
                                        http://patchworkfarmga.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X