Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Main-Barn-Bench-to-end2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Hollow Oak Farm, Nokesville Associate shows?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollow Oak Farm, Nokesville Associate shows?

Has anyone been to one of their shows?

We're interested in going if it's run well, ie; minimal missiles in the schooling area, available water, decent parking, etc.

Do they get enough entries? We'd hate to get down there to find out our divisions don't run.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I've heard some nightmares about their following VHSA rules. My friend (BrydelleFarm) is judging there soon so I'm sure that'll be a wake up call when it comes to folks trying to bend the rules or those who want to make them up as they go along. Brydelle is the consummate professional.

Personally, I'm not fond of their footing, but maybe since I've been, they've changed it? It's a laid back show, which I enjoy.

It doesn't have a huge turnout so schooling isn't crazy. Can't recall about water -- want to say bring your own. Parking is fine. Big field. Lots of families bring tents.

Have heard of issues w/filling classes. LaBonnieBon might be able to shed some more light on that one... she was there awhile back with a greenie.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

OP - I sent you a PM.
      Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

Comment

Just got this email from them.
        Hope everyone is enjoying their summer vacation!!

Looking forward to better weather Sunday, FYI - we are allowing a VERY
        relaxed dress code - only requirements are boots w/ heels - do not have to
        be tall boots AND hard hats as usual. We will have food and drinks available
        on site.

Don't forget the cash awards!!!

We have added 4 jumper divisions - check out the website for listings - same
        cost $12.00 / class.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at anytime.

Hope to see you Sunday!!

N. Lynn Sadler, CFNP, MSN

Last edited by Moderator 1; Oct. 21, 2009, 01:48 PM.
        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2017.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

The weekend weather is supposed to be superb and I'm trying to avoid the I95 traffic nightmare.

I appreciate the responses.
          "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

Bring water!!!
            I went there two years ago, so it's been a while. Folks were nice. Parking decent. I think schooling area was on grass. I only had two littles, so I don't know how the classes ran later in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
              I've heard some nightmares about their following VHSA rules. My friend (BrydelleFarm) is judging there soon so I'm sure that'll be a wake up call when it comes to folks trying to bend the rules or those who want to make them up as they go along. Brydelle is the consummate professional.
              THANKS, you are the greatest friend, always good for the ego.

To the OP - I haven't shown there in 2 yrs, and their ring was "slopey" and a combination of grass and blue stone, but I think they have worked very hard on it since. The jumps were regulation height and nicely decorated but nothing crazy. The courses were standard (outside diagonal, etc, OR single, diagonal, outside, etc.) The parking was good and plentiful. The food is great and atmosphere is fun, friendly, and laid back (they didn't have the relaxed dress code they are allowing now when I went). They had quite a good turnout when I was there, about 6-9+ per class. The money back is great, we came home with more money than we went with, so that is always a good thing.

I am looking forward to being there this weekend. Lynn is very nice and works hard to put on good shows.
              Last edited by Brydelle Farm; Jun. 28, 2007, 05:56 PM. Reason: MEANT SLOPEY NOT SLOPPY, OOPS!
              www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
              Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
              "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Comment

Bending rules, making up rules, wake up call -- I think NOT!!!

Hello All!!

You guys should come and ask me all these questions, I am sooooo approachable.

Thanks for the compliments from those who have been to our shows, it seems like we are accomplishing our goals of a relaxed, fun, and unpretentious environment.

As far a water is concerned, we definitely have well water available - unlimited amounts - even at that.

I, myself, completely reworked the arena. After approx 30 dump truck loads of blue stone and manufactured sand (which looks like bluestone, but is really sand), I became best friends with a bobcat I named Bertha. She and I moved gravel and sand like we were bonded professionals. The arena is not perfectly flat, still some grade, but very slight. As recommendations per a valued colleague of mine, "one should never have a flat arena."

I am a little bent about the unsubstantiated allegations, I am not one to engage with folks who are underinformed or underprepared, but those are litiginous comments made that are absolutely untrue. I am sure I have a long list of judges who will be ready to spar with you about your comments also, which I may add, I will personally forward to them individually, as you are speaking of their reputations as well.

I do feel like ANYPLACE FARM owes me an internet posted apology, unless of course you can provide some information to back up your claims.

No hard feelings, I have been in this business for a long time and opinions are like..., well...., you know.

See ya at the show Sunday!!!

Comment

FYI ladies........... VHSA has a copy of this posting as of this am.

Comment

If you would like, I can tell you about my one and only experience at one of your horse shows. But perhaps you don't want me to post it since VHSA has a link to this thread.

Comment

By all means, post away, just remember what I said, you had better post gospel, because I am not going to fool around with you. This is lawsuit material and I have all the time in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by secret interlude View Post
                        By all means, post away, just remember what I said, you had better post gospel, because I am not going to fool around with you. This is lawsuit material and I have all the time in the world.
                        Like I said, this is about my one and only experience at one of your horse shows. I do not know what any of your other horse shows were like because I decided after that one and only horse show that I would never return to your facility.

My experience...schooling was adequate, parking was great, schedule was great, BUT you pulled a horse out of the barn (with you riding) just to fill a division and you asked me (after my horse was on the trailer and ready to go home) to enter a division so that it could be filled. You offerred those classes to me at no fee so the other people could get their points. I agreed and pulled my horse off the trailer, warmed up, came over to the ring to go in the classes only to be told that the division was canceled. Again...this was my experience. I have no reason to lie about my experience because I don't do local shows. I just went to that one to have a bit of fun.

Comment

I am sorry, how exactly is this breaking VHSA rules???

I am not sure why you did not get to show, you are lucky, you could have had to pay for your classes and I think you are ungrateful.

Next please~!!!!!!

Comment

AND BTW, I will continue to offer free classes whenever, whereever I feel like it, to whom ever I feel like and I don't care who likes it. He HE HE He!!!

Comment

AND there is no rule against me riding my own horse at my own show, am proud of it and will continue to do so.

Comment

I am not sure why you did not get to show, you are lucky, you could have had to pay for your classes and I think you are ungrateful.

Next please~!!!!!!
                                JustDandy never said rules were broken, she just said she had an unpleasant experience.

And the OP SPECIFICALLY asked about divisions not filling.
                                Last edited by Janet; Jun. 28, 2007, 09:55 AM.
                                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2017.

Comment

Next please~!!!!!!
                                  First, I don't think I mentioned anything about breaking rules. I just thought VHSA would be interested about how you run your shows so that divsions will fill and others could get points.

Ungrateful? I think not! I was more than willing to pay for those classes. In fact, I was originally entered in that division, but decided to scratch so I could go home because it was starting to get late and I had other things to do. Since there were very few people left at the show that could fill the division and I was at the entry booth scratching when you walked up and asked several times for me not to scratch (even offering to let me enter at no cost), I decided to go ahead and fill the division so that the others could get their points. I had no reason to enter the division except to have a bit of fun. I'm not a member of VHSA so I have no need for points.

Speaking of being "ungrateful," you never even told me the division was canceled. I had to find out from my friend. You didn't even apologize to me after I pulled my horse off the trailer, unwrapped him, tacked up and schooled. I came back to the ring to see the judge leaving the judge's booth, no one else was at the in gate and my friend walked up to me to tell me the division was canceled.

Yes...you were doing me a favor by letting me go in the ring to school and have fun at no cost, but I think I was doing you a favor by filling a division for you in order for points to count.

Comment

secret interlude, a word to the wise.

Lots and lots and LOTS of people read these threads, even though they may not post.

They observe others' behavior, and file them away in one of two categories: 1. Gee, that person seems nice and reasonable! I'd love to do business with them if I have a chance. 2. Holy cow, who IS this whackjob? Not going near that one with a ten foot pole!

People are entitled to have -- and to post -- negative opinions. It's a simple fact of life that you (generic "you") cannot please all the people all the time, and anyone reading these threads who has two feeble brain cells to rub together knows that.

By all means, if you feel that someone has posted incorrect information, correct them. But lawsuit threats? Honestly, that pretty much automatically moves you into category #2 in most people's eyes. You're not doing yourself any favors, and will likely turn OFF way more people than you'll win over.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin View Post
                                      secret interlude, a word to the wise.

By all means, if you feel that someone has posted incorrect information, correct them. But lawsuit threats? Honestly, that pretty much automatically moves you into category #2 in most people's eyes. You're not doing yourself any favors, and will likely turn OFF way more people than you'll win over.
                                      Yep.

I live in Nokesville.

I am primarily an eventer, but I sometimes go to hunter shows for specific reasons.

When this thread first appeared, I thought "that might be a good one to take Spy to". (Not THIS weekend, but later)

Anyplace's post didn't change that.

secret interlude's posts DID change that.
                                      Janet

Comment

Erin,

I appreciate your advice, however the slanderous comments that were made and the suggestion by justdandy that in fact she was going to provide something that was a questionable behavior to VHSA is unacceptable. I do not slander others nor will I accept being slandered.

Again, I have not broken any VHSA rules, I read on this post all the time and do not usually post as well. When it comes to my reputation, it is a little different.

I do remember you Justdandy, maybe you think you were not apologized to, and maybe you don't even know who I am, but you were told the division was cancelled when we saw you riding in the field. We gave a gate call for you and you never appeared. We thought you had left until everything was done. I explained that to you also, so I am not sure why you are so confused. Furthermore, all relationships were not meant to be and apparently ours was not meant to be and I am actually fine with that. I do not expect all people who attend my shows to be pig fat happy. I would like that, but in some cases you just can't please some people.

Comment

Working...
                                        X