• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What Do you See With this Mare? UPDATE!! Can You Help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do you See With this Mare? UPDATE!! Can You Help?

I'd Like your critiques. Thanks a bunch. UPDATE: The number listed is no good. How do I go about finding out the owner and how to get ahold of them?

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...&directory=282
    Last edited by gooselover; Jan. 16, 2010, 05:33 PM.

The first thing I noticed were her very long pasterns attached to long thin legs. She may have soundness issues in the future. She has a very sweet face!!
    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate
    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

• Original Poster

that's what I saw, too, but didn't know if there could/would be trouble down the road. Anybody else?

Comment

I know we're now used to looking at WBs, but she looks officially fine-boned all over for her height.

At 5, I'd like to see her withers at least level with her butt. It could be the angle of the picture, but she looks a little butt-high to me.

Finally, she's goose-rumped which will limit her power behind.

I don't mean to be entirely negative. But for $1,500 and what else you can find in the way of OTTBs right now, I think you could do better.

If this is not merely for educational purposes and you want to find a reason to buy her, you might look for a couple of things. Meet her in person as see if her mind is really as good as CANTER says. That goes a long way, IMO. If she is a spectacular mover, count that for her, too. Finally, really quiz the trainer about how sound she has been. Yes, she's not fast, but at 5 if a horse has held up to a decent racing and training schedule you may have one of those "sound for no good reason and no matter what" animals that sometimes come along and humbles all of us couch-sitting conformation gurus.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I think she is gorgeous of course she needs a lot of weight to fill her out. The long pasterns have never been a problem for me. I usually do dressage or small fences with this type of horse. She deserves a chance to prove her abilities just by looking at a photo you cannot judge her appropriately. I say go for it, she needs a home and you want a horse the perfect match
          Ms Robin
          Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
          ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Comment

• Original Poster

I have adopted three OTTB's already and do have my hands full. I am not going to be doing anything other than low level things (I am in my 50's). There was/is something about this mare, but am concerned about the legs and long pasterns.

Anyone else care to chime in?

I need another horse like I need a hole in my pocket.

Comment

I don't know, her front legs just seem all out of sorts. Looks as though her left knee is almost rotated in while her toe is pointing forward. And on the other front I can't even tell what I think is going on. Over at the knee? It's almost as if her forearm and cannon below belong on two different animals, with a knee borrowed from a third. Very sweet face though, almost as though she's pleading with you to overlook what she knows is going on down there.
              EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

Wow, first thing I thought was "did they photo shop this?!" She's walking on sticks in front!
                Shop online at
                www.KoperEquine.com
                http://sweetolivefarm.com/services.php

Comment

I like her a lot. She is well balanced and stands over enough ground that she should have a decent stride. And her stifle is high so she will be able to reach underneath herself and get power out of each stride and for pushing off and doing her lead changes. Her slightly goose rump will help her with that too.

Combine that with a jumper bunp and, in 200 pounds, you will have a lovely looking sport horse.

I agree on the worry about her legs -- but I don't think that one picture give enough information to nix her. She deserves a look (and take your checkbook becuase I don't think her legs are going to be a deal breaker.)

What is her breeding? TB's with a strong sport horse pedigree have a much better chance of being successful in that life.
                  "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

Originally posted by gooselover View Post
                    that's what I saw, too, but didn't know if there could/would be trouble down the road. Anybody else?
                    My sentiments exactly. It has always been by mindset to never start with negatives(I learned the hard way). It takes time and $$$ tomake any of them. Any sort of jumping may be an issue. I would question rideability with the downhill conformation. There are so many out there who have less negatives...however, she looks so sweet. I can see why she appeals to you!

Comment

go see this one

I agree with Lord Help us
                      This mare is just not standing properly for the picture. This happens alot at the track when trying to get a photo of a horse in racing condition. She has a lovely neck, a nice eye and if she is quiet she will be a lovely lower level horse. She may also make a nice upper horse( no way to know that about any of them). If she raced sound till the age of 5, those pasterns are most likely not going to be an issue, as a side note, they may give you a really nice smooth ride. For us older folks that means a lot!
                      The pedigree information mentioned before is important, but also find out how many races she has done. This will give you an idea of her ability to stay sound.
                      Good luck!

Comment

If she has raced sound until 5 with that light bone and those pasterns and you are only doing low-level work with her, I wouldn't hesitate. She does have a sweet look too!!

She is not really thin but just race-fit, a few pounds and some work on that topline and she should look superb. Head is nice, neck ties in to the head and to the shoulder nicely. Little bit of a long back, long pasterns, and light bone, but she is proportionate and balanced. I don't think she is downhill, but I think she is level...which is ok (particularly for lower-level stuff). As for that right front, that is just her stance - I have an OTTB who will stand funny like that as well. She simply has not put all her weight on that leg - she is not really standing all that well at all, really (which is to be expected from a racehorse of course, haha).

Is she five as of this year (Jan 1), or is she 5 now, going on 6? She should fill out still either way, but especially if she is only turned 5 now - she should fill out quite a bit yet.

I wouldn't worry about the relatively minor flaws if she is just to be a lower-level horse and has raced sound. Especially if you at least start off with some dressage with her to strengthen her topline and teach her to use herself efficiently - that also will lighten the stress on her body. Also, have her vet-checked and ask the vet what he thinks of her potential in relation to her conformation!
                        ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                        ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

I think that with the way she is standing, there is no way to properly critique her. She's sound (supposedly), and has a kind eye. I'd go look at her in person. Her pasterns don't look horrible to me. She should be comfy to ride, as another poster mentioned.

Comment

The high stifle stood out to me; but for me it's a negative. I prefer horses with more level to elbow.... they can (squat w/) the hind better.

Horses with this high stifle conformation are usually good gallopers....

I too thought the pic was photo shoped; the pasterns are long.
                            Live in the sunshine.
                            Swim in the sea.
                            Drink the wild air.

Comment

abkles

With the way she is standing,it is hard to tell to tell; what I noticed first are her big ankles' I would certainly have them x rayed AND FLEXED
                              breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

I think this is her:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/leave+a+tip2

It looks like she's had quite a few starts. If she's still sound I imagine that must say something for her.

Comment

I like her a lot! I like the way she is put together and I think with some groceries, you'll have a stunning horse!

Comment

She has long, upright pasterns which could potentially give her a jarring, uncomfortable gait, but, she also has a nice sloping shoulder which could mean she has a nice long stride too. She doesn't appear to have an ewe neck which is surprising considering shes so thin, but she is very very skinny, and I cant tell if she has that 'hunter's bump' or if it's just that there's no meat to her yet and will go away once she's bulked up. I cant tell but is her right front leg crooked, or is it just the way she's standing? I feel sorry for her!

Her eye is nice and she has a smart looking head, she doesn't look like an unintelligent horse. She's super leggy, I dont know, maybe she could be a daisy cutter! She has VERY fine leg bones. She looks like she could become an elegant horse. I'd like to see a video of her move, but i doubt they'd have that. If she's close to you, I'd go see her! She could a diamond in the rough!
                                    But George Morris still wears rust-colored breeches- so can I!

Comment

The picture is bad. She is standing down hill and no where close to being stood up.

While her pasterns are long, they are not upright, they fall right where they should and are the same angle as her rear pasterns.

Being fine is not an issue, bone size does not determine anything other than bone size. A fine boned horse is no more likely to be injured than a large boned horse.

The mare ran almost 60 times which is pretty good indicator of soundness for a 6yo.

She has some very interesting bloodlines. She is Fappiano 3rd gen and has the Bay Ronald, Galopin bloodlines, the ones that produced, Cottage Son, Dark Ronald, Rondeau, Bayrado etc. Does not mean she will be a star, but it would certainly get me interested enough to go look at her.

Go see her, hang out with, see her move, see if you can get them to trot her over a bale of hay or something, spend $5 and check out her race history on equineline.com or pedigreequery.com to see if she was ever laid off for an extended period, see how she ran her races etc.

Comment

Here's her race record: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...581&registry=T

She's made $33K in 57 starts, which sounds like a losing proposition to me, but I haven't looked through all her charts. She's made at least one start in almost every single month since May of 2006. If she could handle running that often on those legs, there's probably nothing you can do to break her, although I'd radiograph her ankles to get a baseline.

If you're not in the area, I'll tell you what: I have Monday off, and CT is a mere 60 minutes drive for me. If you make the arrangements, I'll go look at her, take more pictures, and let you know what I think. I love an excuse to hang out at the track anyway.
                                        Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

Working...
                                        X