• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone else do stupid things that make you lose your class?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else do stupid things that make you lose your class?

I had one of those "stupid" moments last weekend and it ended up making me lose my medal class. When I do the medal classes, I usually show my gelding in a pelham. I did my o/f round and everything went perfect. Got called back in for the flat phase. I usually always pick up points on the flat (horsey is very well schooled). Trainer is telling me to hurry up and get in the ring and start trotting around. I picked up the reins quickly without double checking. Judge ends up bumping me down to 6th. Of course I'm thinking "what?!?"
    Come out of the ring and trainer says you would have won the class if your pelham rein wasn't very obviously twisted.
    Ugh!!!
    Does anyone else have those kind of moments where you feel completely stupid?
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg

Pulling up after a fence in a classic when they said rider on course ,
    I thought they said rider off course!!!!!!!!!!! ooooh i was in so much trouble with my trainer!!

Comment

Happened to my student...

She was having a very lovely round and coming into the last line, the judge calls her off course even though she wasn't. She jumps into the line, the announcer calls her off course again, and she tries to pull up only to chip horribly coming out of the line. I went up to the announcer and said, uhm she wasn't off course. Turns out the judge was looking at the wrong course. She still won the class (the judge forgave the last fence). Happy ending.

When I was 14, I just started showing with a BNT on my little thoroughbred. Not particularly fancy but good enough. I go into my first class and I was so nervous I jumped the first fence of a line backwards (next to the jump I was supposed to jump). I had no idea what happened and was completely mortified once I figured it out. I've never missed a first fence ever again!

Comment

I started out an absolutely gorgeous round that was nice and smooth; was enjoying it so much I forgot where to go next. Total blonde moment. I had a 50/50 shot at getting the next jump right and whadya know, I picked the wrong one.
        "Beware the hobby that eats."
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I was riding an itty bitty medal at a local show, and tried to roll back to one of the later fences on course. This is the result. See the white fence in the background? That was the first fence we jumped. I was supposed to roll back to the green and white oxer just behind us, but instead, rode into the brown oxer wondering why it was placed at such a terrible angle. My wonderful little horse apparently knew where he was supposed to go, as he was trying to put the brakes on all the way in. The funniest part of the whole deal is that the judge got terribly confused by the refusal - she wanted to call us off course, as I was obviously trying to jump the wrong fence, but my horse saved me by quitting... They ended up calling it a refusal, but letting me ride the rest of the course. My poor little horse can't believe what an idiot his rider is sometimes, especially when I won't listen to him.

Comment

Well I've certainly picked up the wrong lead a few times...that's always a killer.

Hmm...once I had the perfect course and all of the sudden just fell off for no reason whatsoever. My horse knocked down the entire jump, standards and all. I have it on video, and I STILL to this day can't figure out what the heck happened! One second I was about to jump the oxer, the next second I was flat on the ground!
            Originally posted by MistyPony
            In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Comment

I am 5'10 and all legs, and have a 16h (on a good day ) jumper. Twice I have had a rail with MY foot. Seriously I hit the rail, felt it, and even had paint rubbed off on my boot once. And of course both times I had the best time and would have won had I not hit the rail...

Best part was when my dad asked my new (like our 3rd day together) trainer if we could go tell the judge that it was me, and since it wasn't my horse that hit it, it shouldn't count. She just laughed.

Comment

A couple years ago I was in the last qualifying class for local medal finals and only needed 1 pt. I made the flat phase (6 of us, so I should only need to beat one person) and managed to pick up a wrong lead on a horse that doesn't miss them and wound up 6th (read: I got .5 pt and wasn't invited to the dance).
                "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

I had put in a near-perfect round in a 2'9" Medal class, came up to the last jump which was a tiny trot fence, gave my horse so many mixed signals about what to do that he just stopped and I tumbled off. I was SO humiliated!!!!

Comment

I am notorious for forgetting the last jump or having a rail on the last jump. I have had at least 4 or 5 beautiful rounds and forgotten my last jump.

Comment

I was competing in one of my first horse shows, and my horse had been misbehaving all day. For the final class, my trainer put me on a different horse, presumably so I could focus on winning rather than just staying on. I had been riding my speed demon OTTB, so obviously no spurs, no crop. I was now mounted on a big, slow WB for the first time (first time on that particular horse and first time on a WB at all), still no spurs, no crop. I don't think I even OWNED spurs at the time!

When I got into the ring, I didn't know what to do because I could NOT make him canter! The whole crowd was making kissing and clucking sounds, and still I just trotted around, kicking in vain. I ended up trotting the first fence and CRAWLING around the rest of the course, completely mortified. Needless to say, I didn't get a ribbon
                      The journey is the destination.

Comment

It didnt result in me losing the class but its still a pretty funny oops.

The day I got my pony carded we were waiting across the street. As soon as it was our turn to measure we heard the 5 minute ring call for my flat. Trainer ran over to ask for them to hold it for me. Finished measuring ran back, had to get fully dressed and tacked and in the ring ASAP.

Got on in a fluster and rode in my class. Surprisingly WON it. walk out of the ring and hop off only to realize my tall boots werent zipped, My jacket collar was popped up, pony's nose band was not buckled (only through the keepers), and I could fit my entire arm through my girth!!!!

Now Im not sure if I won the class because I was good, or if it was a pitty ribbon???

Comment

On top after both the jumping and flat phase of the CT medal finals. Test was to canter a figure eight showing a change of lead and jump the last fence. The part I didn't hear (or it didn't register) was "without going behind the judge's stand..." which was a huge yellow and white umbrella in the middle of the field. I was on a 4Yo in his first year of showing, and his head started to pop up as I came around the corner, so I widened my approach and went behind. My test was perfect except for that, and I couldn't believe it when I got dropped to third (someone else had screwed up worse than me). My trainer met me at the gate with his hands on his hips.

I went home, bought a similar umbrella and stuck it in the ring. We won the finals the following year, although they had happily moved the judge's stand OUT of the ring!
                          Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

The first real show I brought my horse to, just to do some flat classes, we missed our second class because they changed the schedule and I didn't know. Then the third class, I showed up at the in-gate only to find that the class was cancelled. One of the trainers from my barn was standing there and told me to go on in for the next class, which was a flat class. So I did.

It was advanced equitation; I am *not* advanced. And it was my green pony's first show even cantering. I was against two of the awesome young big eq teens from my barn.

So really it was a series of stupid things that made me lose the class. (; First, the fact that I entered an advanced eq class. Second, my poor horse picked up the wrong lead at one point, and I fixed it, and just as he picked up the correct lead, the announcer called for a halt. So just as he was right, there I was pulling him all the way back again--he was so confused. Then they called for a reverse, and so I did a nice little half turn, and then realized that a reverse at the halt evidently means to do a turn on the haunches or forehand or something, because nobody else was moving. Then we had to pick up the canter from a halt, which, thank God, my horse did, because we've never done that. Then we had to drop stirrups; I had never even gone without stirrups at a canter. Then we had to go to sitting trot, and then posting trot, still without stirrups. My poor horse tried to canter again, he was so confused, and I was all over the place... had to pick up my stirrups and get us both settled back again and then drop them.

We did get a pretty third place ribbon... but as I said, there were only two other riders. d;
                            "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

I get overexcited when I do jumpers.
                              I was at a show doing my first jumper class on my new horse and she was being amazing given it was an outdoor show and about 35 degrees. It was a power and speed course and the last jump was an end jump. I ALWAYS forget end jumps for some reason so I made sure I knew the course and remembered the end jump. Of course, I was so excited to start the jump off that I went past the end jump and started the speed part of the course.
                              The sad part was that I had one jump left in the speed round before they called me out and said I was off course so I would have won.

Comment

I've had some good IHSA moments, some of them were me doing stupid things, others were horses doing stupid things.

Last year I was set to do my first o/f since I was like 12. I drew this horse that people swore up and down was a great draw. I find out she's scared of the in-gate, so a horse-holder is allowed to walk you into the ring. "Scared" is an understatement. She shot into the ring and I, having never showed before, just started circling to try to calm her down. No calming this pony down. At one point my coach yells "just GO!" and I do, unfortunately I was circling in the wrong direction for the first jump so it was obviously awkward. Rest of the round consisted of chips and a run-out. Not my finest moment. Did get 2nd in my flat class though!

This season (same place, actually!) I drew a horse for the flat that bucked every time I asked for a canter. Judge called the canter maybe four times, the first three times I sat and dealt with the bucks but that last time the horse just froze, bucked, crow-hopped and side stepped. Everyone else is cantering around me (luckily I had just cut across the ring so I was off the rail) and I'm trying my damndest to get this horse to move ANYWHERE forward. Finally the judge calls for the line up. Got a pity ribbon for that ride.

Oh, and I've blown two or three leads this season in flat classes, which is wierd because I ALWAYS get my leads at home, or at least notice right away if I don't. Maybe it's just me doing the IHSA wondering of "Is his canter just funky? I hope he doesn't run away with me.."
                                "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

I had one Hunter Hack class where I was winning by a mile for the 2 flat phases. Then we had to jump the line and I got over excited and thus so did my horse... we were ok until we landed from the second one and started to turn. Everyone was lined up in the middle and I was supposed to trot and walk before turning into the line. We cantered right into the line and came to a sliding stop. We still got second but when I came out my trainer yelled at my "You are NOT ALLOWED to run into the line!!!"

I also had a WHOLE summer of the forgetting-your-course epidemic. Every single show I was bound to forget a course at least once. At the last show I even jumped the exact same course in warmup twice, then went back in five minutes later for my class and jumped the wrong course. Needless to say my trainer scratched me for the rest of my classes.
                                  Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Comment

I forgot my course after two fences and decided to make up my own. It wasn't a full class so I got a ribbon for creativity
                                    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
                                    for we have not deserved it.
                                    Marion Garretty

Comment

I was showing in the baby greens in Oklahoma once and I did something incredibly stupid. Jumped the first two lines and then, for some reason, thought I was done, so I started my ending circle. My trainer was jumping up and down at the gate yelling for me to finish my course. I did. And somehow we got 2nd out of 15 or so...
                                      "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
                                      -George Morris

Comment

Well we should have picked up the right lead, but just before I asked, a tractor in the ring to the left of us made some noise, and both my horse and I looked at it. Resulting in a very nice counter canter depart. We fixed it in two strides, and then had eight perfect fences. Of course we didn't win, but I did have the video people omit the offending wrong lead, and bought the video.
                                        It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

Working...
                                        X