• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Are you allowed to jump when not in a lesson?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you allowed to jump when not in a lesson?

Can everyone chime in and let me know if your boarding barn allows you to jump when you are not in a lesson? Also, is there a resident trainer? how you would classify your barn (more pleasure or more competitive/showing)? If showing, what type of shows (local, local rated, goes to away shows, goes to Florida, etc)? Thanks.

Absolutely no jumping outside of lessons at our barn.
    We have 2 trainers there.
    It is a mix of lesson and showing barn.
    We do local and/or local rated (trillium in Ontario) shows.

Comment

I think most barns have a no jumping except in lessons rule. My current barn does not though, but it is pretty laid back. I know most of the other barns I have been at did not allow you to jump when not in a lesson, or at least with some other form of supervision (parent or ground person). I don't jump my horse a whole lot, usually only once a week, so I try to do it when there is at least another person there just in case.
      Impossible is nothing.

Comment

Barn 1--Big time trainer that hits the A circuit hard. Declares no jumping unless in a lesson. I had been boarding at the barn years before she became the trainer and had always jumped outside of lessons. I protested, jumped when she wasn't around (usually had my mom or friend out to supervise). She was fired in short order for other reasons. I was young and dumb, like 8th grade. Was probably rude/dangerous to have jumped anyway but I did eventing at the time and she was a hunter trainer so it's not like I was ever going to take lessons from her--which would mean no jumping ever.

Barn 2--Big lesson barn, 100 lessons a week, 4 rings and tons of kiddies running around but also a strong college contingent. They allow jumping alone after the age of 16 or 18. But rules: no jumping when a lesson is going on and try to limit jumping during peak hours (3pm-6pm) when there's lots of young kids in the ring. Logic to the second rule is two fold, don't want to accidentally run into the kids or scare them and don't want to set a bad example--as in don't want the kids to think it's the "cool" thing to do and that they should try too.

I think most serious show barns do not allow jumping outside a lesson. But since I have ridden and shown without a trainer during my younger years I really feel entitled to this right. When I was a beginner obviously I took lessons but when my trainer quit suddenly I just kept riding without her. I was in 9th grade and jumping 3'6" courses and just went on my merry little way. Would take lessons every now and then and do clinics. When I got to college and bought a new horse started taking weekly lessons. Right now the horse is off in full training with a BNT, who I am fairly certain does not approve of jumping outside of lessons.

Comment

That is so weird, I was thinking about posting a thread asking that same question this afternoon!!

I have two barns, one at home and one at school. My home barn is very chill, local shows only, and the trainer there allows you to jump outside of lessons if you're over 18- encourages it actually. My school barn is more competition-geared, A shows and all that, and they don't let you jump outside of lessons- ever. I guess it's just a matter of opinion for the trainers.
          Willow- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1125720084

Comment

We are aloud to jump outside of lessons as long as it's on our own horse. When I started jumping a little every ride is when my horse and I really started to trust each other, and he started getting more confident. There is a trainer. She's also the barn manager. It's a pretty laid back barn. Not a very showy barn because we don't really have anyone that's ready to show(green horses), but I'm going to start going to some shows down in GA this year because my horse is ready.

Comment

Yes we can jump outside of lessons. Not being able to would be a dealbreaker for me as I do not take lessons very often.
              Originally posted by barka.lounger
              u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

No jumping when not in a lesson. There is one resident trainer (she owns/runs the barn). It is a show barn - horses are expected to be kept in 5-6 rides a week. We compete at shows from BC to Ontario and down the west coast.
                .:: a n d i ::.

Currently horseless and hating it!
                Missing two very special horses - Maddy & Perry

Comment

Just wanted to add, that while I feel jumping outside of lessons is DANGEROUS for young/inexperienced and don't approve of it for children (hypocritical I know)...I know so many riders who have never jumped out of a lesson that really lack the ability to think for themselves. And I feel like free thinking, solve the problem yourself type of skill is really essential to good riding. I don't necessarily think you MUST ride outside of a lesson to develop that skill, but the type of instruction where the trainer constantly coaches every. single. stride. the. whole. course. isn't always a good thing. Yes it is valuable so you can get down to the nitty gritty details and understand exactly what is right, what is wrong, and when to do what...but is it really necessary for every lesson?

When you go on course at the show your trainer isn't going to be there to chant "inside leg, outside rein, eyes up, more, sit back" and at some point you should be able to recognize that for yourself. Anyways rant over, proceed to answer the OP's question

Comment

Originally posted by skyy View Post
                    Can everyone chime in and let me know if your boarding barn allows you to jump when you are not in a lesson? Also, is there a resident trainer? how you would classify your barn (more pleasure or more competitive/showing)? If showing, what type of shows (local, local rated, goes to away shows, goes to Florida, etc)? Thanks.
                    No. It's a liability issue - the BOs insurance company won't allow it.

Yes, resident BNT. Very competitive show barn...all rated shows and we do Thermal.

Comment

Absoloutely no jumping outside of lessons whether it is your own horse, a leased horse or a lesson horse that you are hacking. We have a large lesson program and boarders that do the A circuit up and down the east coast
                      I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
                      My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
                      She Ain't No Small Potato!

Comment

No jumping outside of lessons.
                        West of nowhere

Comment

• Original Poster

To Skip Change-

I hear ya! Our policy is to not allow jumping outside of a lesson for a bunch of reasons (insurance being one of them). It is difficult for some of us greener jumpers (me!) to go into the show ring by ourselves, so every so often during a lesson we will play horse show. The trainer will school us over a single vertical/oxer in the indoor and send us to the outdoor to jump the course just like at a show and then we will review. It helps a great deal and teaches us to think for ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipChange View Post
                            Just wanted to add, that while I feel jumping outside of lessons is DANGEROUS for young/inexperienced and don't approve of it for children (hypocritical I know)...I know so many riders who have never jumped out of a lesson that really lack the ability to think for themselves. And I feel like free thinking, solve the problem yourself type of skill is really essential to good riding. I don't necessarily think you MUST ride outside of a lesson to develop that skill, but the type of instruction where the trainer constantly coaches every. single. stride. the. whole. course. isn't always a good thing. Yes it is valuable so you can get down to the nitty gritty details and understand exactly what is right, what is wrong, and when to do what...but is it really necessary for every lesson?

When you go on course at the show your trainer isn't going to be there to chant "inside leg, outside rein, eyes up, more, sit back" and at some point you should be able to recognize that for yourself. Anyways rant over, proceed to answer the OP's question
                            I agree. However, for me(and I'm sure other people) jumping outside of a lesson was very important to the training of my horse. Jumping once a week was just not enough for him to be able to gain confidence, and his lack of confidence was preventing us from being able to progress much in lessons. I'm a good enough rider to train a hyper, sensitive horse though.

Comment

technically I've seen people jump outside of a lesson, however my trainer has always been on premises. And oftentimes its someone who's tooling around the arena when a lesson is going on (a more advanced rider who is schooling) and asks to pop over a couple of the fences the lesson is doing. Its a fairly laid back barn. However if no one was around, I doubt it would be allowed. Too much liability.

Comment

At my barn you may jump outside of lessons 1) if you own the jumps and 2) if you set up and take down your jumps each time that you use them.

Trainers are the only people who are allowed to keep their jumps permanently set up and they only allow riders to go over their jumps in lessons.

I have only very rarely witnessed someone willing to haul their jumps in, set them up, ride, and then break down the jumps.

I think this is a good system.

Comment

I've only boarded at private, primarily adult, "non-show" barns. I can do whatever I please with my horse as long as I'm not causing damage or hurting anyone. I can't imagine paying board and being told that I wasn't allowed to jump my own horse.

Comment

It's not really allowed where I ride, either. However, not that I'm *exempt* from it, exactly, but exceptions apply. For example, I used to have a pony who got ridiculoudly keyed up when jumping. Trainer suggested incorporating crossrails in his flat work to make it "no big deal" for him, which did help alot. Also, when I've hacked horses for trainer in the past, she's often specifically said "if you want to pop him/her down a couple lines, go ahead."

But, I think she trusts me not to go bounding around 3'6" on my own and trusts my riding ability enough to know I'll be ok.

Comment

My barn does - with certain caveats. No jumping alone - there must be someone on the premises. I like using practice rides to work on what we did in lessons - and that includes jumping. It's when I get to work on me - positions, hands, etc. Some of my best rides have been when I was "alone". But, then I don't jump big stuff - yet!
                                      And nothing bad happened!

Comment

Yes, we're allowed, but since I take lessons twice a week I don't. The barn is a mix of h/j and dressage so the jumps are left in the arena only three days a week.

The h/j riders at the barn are A circuit riders, dressage riders seem to be the equivalent.

When my coach goes down to Thermal without me this year ( stupid school) she will be sending me courses and I'll be jumping them alone and letting her know how it goes (hopefully with some videos included). I'm 18 and all the other h/j riders are 17 or older so I'm not sure what they'd do in the case of a younger rider.
                                        Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                                        Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                        X