• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Moldy tack?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moldy tack?!?!?

Well I know I haven't been riding much lately but moldy tack?! That must be my Karmic "Get To The Barn More" LOL

Finally felt motivated to go ride my horse after giving him a nice little vacay after PB'er royally screwed him up. Got all bundled up, went to the barn, opened my locker and BAM! It was a jungle of green life on all my tack!

My beautiful Childeric has become a host to green fuzzies

I have never in my life had this problem happen, and am more than a little conerned about my very expensive saddle that I loff more than anything. I brought it home to give it a really good cleaning later today.

Will this cause damage to my saddle?? Will it keep coming back?? What caused it?? WIll cleaning and oiling alone get rid of it?? HEEELP!!!!!

BTW, I brought home every pad, polo, boot, anything that was machine washable just in case it was becasue of dried sweat or anything that was causing the mold.

Mold has hit my friend's farmette a couple of times, twice now she's paid me to clean all of their driving lines and harnesses (for a four in hand set up). My advice-clean the hell out of your tack! I'm talking dismantle your bridles, toothbrush to the seams and holes, wipe down buckles, etc. I don't know about your nice saddle, but her tack has weathered the storm fairly well. I think it's Weaver sells a cleaner specifically made to protect against mold/mildew. Clean everything that was in the locker, because stuff can harbor spores that will go right back to your leather as soon as you put it back in. Also wipe down your locker really really well and see if you can get a dehumidifier in the tack room-mold loves dark, humid places. Be careful not to wear your paddock boots or anything leather/suede when you're cleaning this tack or it'll spread to them too.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

I have occasionally had a bit of mold on a saddle that is in the basement, I just wiped it off with a damp sponge and gave it a thorough cleaning, seems none the worse.

But a friend's saddle has the mold constantly reappearing no matter how much she cleans it. She has given it several ammonia cleanings and finished with Leather Therapy (which inhibits mold), set it out in the sun, nothing helps. We've tried just about everything to clean it, but the mold refuses to leave.

Comment

Murphy's Oil soap first on everything- take everything apart and wash thoroughly the Murphy's......then wipe the bridle and saddle, leathers, etc..down and dry it all well. Then apply a really good leather conditioner- this should do the trick for you. Good luck- I hate that green gook.....

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Will try to find some Murphy's Oil Soap, I brought my saddle home to clean, and will be keeping it at home for now I think, until I can properly clean out my locker!

Man is this stuff ever GROSS....And it SMELLS!! ! UGH!

Comment

Okay, this may sound like a really silly question, but when using Murphy's Oil Soap, do you just use it straight out of the bottle, or use with some water? Wet sponge? Dry? I've never used it, so curious as to the exact routine!
            “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
            ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

When I use Murphy's Oil Soap I usually put it on with a damp sponge or rag
              Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
              If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Comment

Pour several good glugs of vinegar into your water then clean as usual and follow up with Leather Therapy Conditioner.

I swear, this works great. You might have to do it a time or two to be sure you kill all the spores, but the vinegar and LT both do a great job
                Y'all ain't right!

Comment

I use castile soap if our tack gets moldy. For us, it generally happens during the damp springs. My SOP is to scrub, scrub, scrub with castile soap, and then let completely dry (preferably in the sun, as U.V. rays are great mold-killers, though in winter that may not be possible.) After it's dry I treat it with Leather Therapy conditioner, which has a mold inhibitor. When that's all soaked in, I take a barely damp sponge, rub in on a regular glycerine bar, and give everything a once over. The glycerine helps to seal the leather.

Comment

Re: drying in the sun during winter

A good way to do this is leaving your tack in a sunny parking spot (a safe spot, of course). Despite frigid temps, the sun really seems to get intense in the car.
                    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Comment

Hi,
                      I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if Shutout is available where you live. It is a line of sprays, detergents, and body shampoo that contains Silver. Silver kills bacteria so it discourages mold growth. It is available in many sports stores because the target market is Hockey players, but you can spray your tack (once you clean it) with the Shutout spray and you shouldn't have any trouble with it re-appearing. Even when you clean it, the microscopic bacteria are still there.
                      I actually carry it in my outerwear store here in British Columbia, but it's probably available much closer (depending on where you are!)

Comment

Can I ask a weird question? What does it smell like? I just got a saddle on trial and the stirrup bars are a little rusty (saddle is almost new) and it has this weird smell to it. We are super dry here so I have never experienced mold on tack, but am figuring that's what might be going on.

I cleaned it thoroughly with glycerin soap and spread a layer of Leather Therapy on it. Good luck with yours!

Comment

I picked up a $60 dollar saddle covered in green mold. I did the clean with soap and then condition with Passier Lederbalsm (sp?). Anyway, it looked great until the mold came back. Cleaned it again with the vinegar protocol and the mold came back.

Finally, figuring I had nothing to lose I attacked it with those Lysol wipes, then conditioned with the Passier. Two months later and just sitting in an extra stall in the barn the whole time, the saddle looks great and so far the only sign of any reappearing mold is in spots that are hard to reach.

Feeling brave I did a few other nicer items that I've neglected over the years and they all came out looking and feeling great too.

Comment

In Southampton, mold is a problem not just for unused tack (though that is when it can get really scary). We are so close to the water that in the summer, unless things are stored with climate control precautions (A/C) anything can get moldy very quickly.

If the mold is already there, gently brush it off with a towel, then a soft brush (both can then go straight into a bucket of bleach to kill off the spores that will be on them).

Then, lightly mist the piece with old fashioned Lysol disinfectant, the kind that 'kills mold and mildew.' If you apply it evenly, you won't get any streaks or stains, but if the leather is very dry (it probably isn't, if it got moldy) you might want to give it a quick rub to even things out.

After that, just clean and condition normally, but finish off with another application of Lysol, which should help keep the mold from returning, though if it has gotten into the leather, it may be prone to do so. In which case you can simply keep the Lysol near by, as I do.

After that
                            Inner Bay Equestrian
                            Facebook
                            KERx

Comment

Originally posted by BeastieSlave View Post
                              Pour several good glugs of vinegar into your water then clean as usual and follow up with Leather Therapy Conditioner.

I swear, this works great. You might have to do it a time or two to be sure you kill all the spores, but the vinegar and LT both do a great job
                              I have had great luck also with spraying with a diluted vinegar solution.
                              Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Comment

Effol/Effax has a great mold inhibitor. Not sure how it works. I know it has a lot of lanolin in it. I cleaned the tack really well, applied this stuff and let it sit over night. Put the tack back to use and have not seen any mold since!

I got it here: http://coachmansdelight.com/ProductP...EFF121480&all=

Good luck! I HATE mold!

Comment

Wiping down with rubbing alcohol also does the trick. Then clean and condition as usual. Someone asked about the smell: it's super musty and makes you feel like you shouldn't be breathing in the vicinity (you really shouldn't - not up close, anyway, as you don't want to breathe the spores). Some folks swear by throwing away anything you use to clean off the mold, as the spores won't wash out, but I suspect they'd bleach or alcohol or peroxide out. What's really awful is if the mold gets into the wool flocking. Ick.

Comment

Bleach or hot water washing or both (ie washing machine) will take care of the mold that gets on brushes or rags or sponges. What you don't want to do is send them airborne (ie you want to use a damp rag first, not a brush for the major stuff, use the brush on the cracks and crevices) because that will multiply your troubles.

Some people are particularly allergic to mold, too, though I don't think the mold that gets into tack is on the same level as the stuff that affects houses after flooding or leakages have occurred.
                                    Inner Bay Equestrian
                                    Facebook
                                    KERx

Comment

What about mold that is in the bottom of saddles? and wiping will NOT get off...what then?

Comment

Working...
                                      X