• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can an adult re-rider with confidence issues adopt a rescue horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an adult re-rider with confidence issues adopt a rescue horse?

Here's my story - adult re-rider with some confidence issues. Was doing great when I first started 3 years ago and then about a year and a half ago proceeded to fall off more than I stayed on. Since then, have had confidence issues off and on. But... I have gotten the bug and am thinking about buying a forever friend before I'm too old to do it! I only jump 2 - 2'3" and my loft ambitions are to jump 2'6" eventually.

Do I dare try and adopt a rescue horse or would my confidence issues pose too much of a problem. Thought I would ask all you experts what you think on this issue. I would just love to save one of these lovely creatures but I also need to be realistic about my abilities.
    http://www.backontrackdocumentary.com/albie/

It depends on the horse. I've rescued horses that have had nothing wrong but a stupid owner who let it starve in a field. These horses were broke to death and wouldn't put a foot wrong. They weren't intereted in going terribly fast, but weren't old horses either.

I've also seen rescue horses buck harder then a rodeo horse, trample people, and kick people repeatedly.

With your issues I would seek out a horse that has already been rescued and put into training. New Vocations helps transition OTTBs and the put mileage on them and do a good job of matching horses to riders plus they have a "return" policy.
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would think it would depend on what the rescue horse in question's issues are. I have one rescued horse that can only be caught quickly on a good day. I have another rescued horse that is perfect in every way imaginable and has never so much as stepped on my toes. A lot of it depends on the horse!
      "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
      -fry & laurie

Comment

My darling boy is a rescue and his biggest thing is that he was left to starve. He would give you the world and he is a great teacher. He takes a kid around plodding like a western horse, but when I get on him and ask him for things he gives them to me with a swish of the tail.

However...

I bought him through the person that rescued him. I am not confident enough in my horse buying to see a diamond in the rough anymore. I have serious confidence issues and it has gotten better with a year of darling boy, and consistent lessons.
        OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
        Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
        Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Comment

I'm going to say no... unless you are getting an already rehabbed horse from a rescue. Don't rescue one yourself. You have ambitions of riding and jumping- and those are not givens for lots of horses. On top of that, you need a horse of a certain temperment. Lots of horses that are malnourished will appear to have that temperment- until they are feeling better. IMHO, its just a recipe for problems.

Let rescues know what you are looking for, and maybe something will turn up- but don't head out to an auction and rescue your own. Also, make sure you can try the horse a few times in a few different circumstances (out in a field) so you can be sure the horse doesn't intimidate you. Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks everyone - are there "halfway houses" for horses that have already been rescued and are more of a known quantity? Im in Northern VA if that helps any.

Comment

I would recommend holding off on a rescue horse for now. I've certainly come across wonderful, kind, gentle rescue horses that are bombproof and beginner friendly, but they can be hard to find. The wonderful rescues that I personally know needed a lot of training and help to get to where they are. My favorite rescue horse is an absolute gentleman and a joy to ride, but is still very headshy and skittish, and he can't even go near jumping equipment without melting down.

It sounds like right now in your riding you need a horse that can build your confidence. A lot of rescue horses need a rider with whom they can feel safe, and you can't give confidence to a horse if you are not confident in yourself and your abilities. As others said, you may be able to find a horse that has already been rehabbed but I wouldn't expect to rehab a horse from his "ground zero."
              "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

What was it George Morris once said? Something like, "The best way to learn to ride well is to buy the nicest horse you can afford, and ruin it as quickly as possible." I was shocked the first time I heard it, but have learned the value of it over years of riding. I like fancy hunters, so I've always had OTTBs or baby warmbloods. If I could afford it, I would buy one that suits me finished, but my husband and children really like our house and don't want to live on the streets (it's cold in Michigan).

My vote for a rider with a confidence issue, old, young or in the middle, who needs a horse for under 3' is to buy a been-there, done-that horse. A known quantity, who, when you're heading for a jump and feeling a bit leery will say, "hang on mom, I've got this." Those horses are readily available in every price range, and are usually on their way "down," they can't do the 3'6" anymore but will have YEARS of use left at under 3'.

Completely understand your desire to rescue, but the important thing is you'd have a partnership you KNOW will work. And, you're providing a veteran with a home where he can be a superstar.
                Trinity Farm LLC
                Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
                Like us on Facebook:
                https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

Lori, I really think your horse is out there. I would say no to one straight out of the kill pen or straight OTTB, because they aren't a known quantity, and this horse is going to be (hopefully!) your forever horse. A horse like Tag, who was a rescue, now is in training and is more of a known quantity would be the way to go I think. Or Tag with a year more training kind of horse. They ARE out there and I know your future horse will have the best new mom!
                  WestWind Farms
                  Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
                  - George H. Morris

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I think maybe older might be a smarter idea. I really would love to rescue one but I might wind up ruining both of us!! Michelle - you are such a sweetie - together we'll find me my boy! And if anyone has an older boy (or girl) - feel free to pm me!!

Comment

Originally posted by LoriW View Post
                      thanks everyone - are there "halfway houses" for horses that have already been rescued and are more of a known quantity? Im in Northern VA if that helps any.
                      Try Day's End in Lisbon, MD.

http://www.defhr.org/
                      Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

I have zero experience with owning, so this isn't worth much, but I totally understand the desire to 'rescue' as all the talk from the more experienced about how their pony/horse/donkey/etc. went from starved/abused/neglected/terrified to happy is incredibly wonderful to read and it really makes you want to be a part of it in a more direct, personal way than making a financial contribution to a rescue group. But as a new and not-so-confident rider, I don't think I'd go the adopt/rescue route unless I found a very conscientious group that listened to my needs/wants seriously, and honestly dealt with the fact that I wouldn't be a potential home for the harder-to-place horses, but would really only be interested in horses that are probably the easiest to place - trained, quieter, sound enough for jumping, etc.

On a more practical note, I've done my fantasizing time at the websites of horse rescues, particularly OTTB, and I've noticed that there are sometimes horses who come in after having been placed for several years prior, make a full transition from retrained racehorse to saddle horse, but are returned because the adopter had financial trouble, etc. Something like that could work for OP.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by vacation1 View Post
                          I have zero experience with owning, so this isn't worth much, but I totally understand the desire to 'rescue' as all the talk from the more experienced about how their pony/horse/donkey/etc. went from starved/abused/neglected/terrified to happy is incredibly wonderful to read and it really makes you want to be a part of it in a more direct, personal way than making a financial contribution to a rescue group. .
                          I think you hit the nail on the head. I would aspire to have enough confidence to work with one of these horses but the reality is I'm not a strong enough rider with enough confidence. I wish it were different but right now it isn't so I just need to adjut my thinking in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by LoriW View Post
                            Do I dare try and adopt a rescue horse or would my confidence issues pose too much of a problem.
                            I have been this person, and I can say -- rehabbing a rescue horse is wonderful fun. But you don't really know what you're going to have at the end of the process. I've done it twice, and both times it's been a process of paying for a lot of pro training, expending a lot of patience, and finally deciding the horse was a splendid horse... but not the one I needed.

Don't get me wrong, rehab is a joy and provides no small satisfaction, but if you want a horse for you to ride, not for a pro to ride so that *maybe* you can get up there one day -- get one you can ride right from the beginning, and who gives you a secure feeling.
                            Originally posted by HuntrJumpr
                            No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Comment

Why not try volunteering at a rescue organization? Then you can see what the horses are like and what' involved in rescuing horses. It might give you a sense for whether your confidence issues would pose a safety issue for you or the horse.
                              ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

I think you have to ask yourself - do you want to have something that you can ride, enjoy and improve yourself, or do you want a horse you can help have a better life, albeit not one you can enjoy riding?

If you want a horse to ride, definitely go for a slightly older, been-there-done-that one. The joy of knowing your horse will do whatever you ask is worth oh-so-much. Yes, they may require a little maintenance, but that is what you pay for having a teacher. In a way, taking those older horses and giving them a job with the promise of a happy retirement is a rescue before the fact.

If you want to rescue something, you have to go into the situation knowing that you are taking a huge gamble - they may or may not ever be something you enjoy riding or are able to ride at all. As long as you're ok with that, I'm sure many rescues would be happy to load one up for you.
                                A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Lori-rather than a rescue, what about a retired school horse? While these horses can't pull a full lesson schedule there's no reason they can't be gently ridden by one person. Staying in the right kind of work is just what older healthy horses need. A retired schoolie will be quiet and safe, yet be able to teach you worlds about riding. In return, you repay his years of service by giving him a good life.

Win/win.

Comment

I'm a seriously wimpy adult re-rider and my rescue horse has taught me more than I could of ever imagined possible in a year. Granted he is going to be 17 this year and has been a show horse since he was 3, but there are plenty of older/well-seasoned horses out there in desperate need of home. There are a lot of nice horses out there who might not be capable of the big fences anymore, but are perfect for adult re-rider types.

I wouldn't trade my "rescue" for any horse in the world. He has given me confidence and puts a big old grin on my face every single day.

Good luck on your search!!!

Comment

If the rescue horse is quiet enough that you can walk, trot and canter it comfortably, go for a walk outside the arena, and maybe hop over a raised cavaletti on the first day you meet it, you will be fine.

Plenty of horses straight off the track or right out of the auction are quiet enough for this.

That should be your criteria for any horse, rescue or no.
                                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Do you have a trainer?

Or someone that could help you along? I have "inherited" horses as boarders that were rescued by well meaning people, but with my help have turned out to be great for them! I think the big difference is having someone that can help you with your confidence as well as with any issues that the rescue may have. I would also HIGHLY suggest that you take this person along with you to look at the horse you find.

Remember, some of them are damaged goods and never recover from whatever hey went through, but others are truly grateful for your love and care and return it tenfold!!

Good luck!
                                        "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

Comment

Working...
                                        X