• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Winter Gear You Can't Live Without?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Gear You Can't Live Without?

Its that time of year again....

What winter gear can't you live without on a cold day at the barn?

Dahlgren socks http://www.rei.com/product/799748

I also love my Under Armour gear
    http://www.underarmour.com/shop/outlet

and my Marmot softshell jacket.

My hubby and stepson each got me a really awesome top to ride in for my birthday a few weeks ago - I wear it with a down vest during lessons, and it keeps me comfortable even when we're working hard in the cold weather: http://www.rei.com/product/769683
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

uggs a north face down coat with a zippered north face heavy fleece underneath- and on single digit days, snow angel or smartwool long underwear too!

Comment

Cuddl' Duds microfiber long underwear, Mountain Hardwear wind pro fleece jacket, Irideon wind pro fleece breeches, SmartWool socks, Mountain Horse Ice Rider paddock boots, a Bitten bit warmer with rechargeable heat pads, a fleece helmet cover for my saddle that also wraps around my ears, and Stabilicers spikes for my shoes to walk from the icy parking lot to the barn.

Can you tell that I am very anti-cold?
        Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Try Ibex or Icebreaker wool..........nothing warmer and softer. Truly, we are outside all the time and while I have tried every high tech fabric, nothing performs like wool!

Comment

Warm gear

I purchased a wool sweater with a windbreaker liner from Cabellas. My husband, an avid hunter, got one several years ago as a gift and said it was much too warm for him on most days. I said that would then be perfect for me, as I seem to be related to reptiles!!

On 30 degree days riding or doing chores its perfect with scarf and turtle neck. On the colder days I add a light weight winter jacket.

I'd love to find something similar in canary so I could get away with wearing it during the coldest of hunting days!!

Comment

-my "barn Uggs"(the ones that my sister spilled water on, creating a hole and stains, and are too beat up to wear anywhere else)
              -gloves
              -my plaid barn jacket(it's the perfect weight, not too warm, not too cool, and not too bulky either)

Comment

-North Face jacket.
                -Under Armer long sleeve shirt to wear under polos
                -Under Armer hat
                -Under Armer jacket
                -North Face gloves
                -Fuggs! (of course i wouldn't wear my real ones!)
                -Zocks with thicker socks over them
                -Boot and Hand warmers
                -Scarves
                -Vests
                -Muck boots with liners
                -And of course a big cup of hot chocolate!

And then i am all warm!

Comment

A hot toddy!!!

Comment

Mudrucker boots (not to ride in, just around the barn)
                    Under Armor Shirt
                    Some type of jacket
                    fleece pullover
                    sweatshirt
                    jeans
                    gloves

Comment

For riding, my FITS winter wind pro breeches and my new Mountain Horse active rider tall winter riding boots. For the barn, my beloved Carhartt insulated coveralls that have been with me many winters and I can fit an almost infinite number of layers underneath. Perfect for wrestling with 200 feet of hose in sub-zero weather!
                      www.baymarefarm.net

Comment

I've found my ski gear to be super helpful for cold days at the barn.

insulated, waterproof ski mittens for when I'm not riding. I hate cold hands.

SSG deerskin gloves for riding
                        LL.bean cold weather leggings for under my jeans.
                        EMS down jacket, fleece vest, wool blend turtleneck or LL.bean fitness fleece.
                        fleece lined hat
                        smart wool socks
                        tall muck boots for getting my horse out of the snowy paddock.

Hot Chocolate for after my ride

Comment

No one mentioned it but love my quarter sheet. Doesn't get terrible cold down south but on those days when its 30s, maybe a little lower sometimes I will be the only one out there riding. Keeps my legs nice and warm and my horse since he's body clipped.

Comment

North Face jacket, Uggs, a blanket I wrap around my legs while teaching lessons, and Bailey's Irish Cream. I've tried a few versions of Uggs knockoffs but haven't found anything that works like the real thing. FWIW, you can get them at a big discount by getting "last year's" style, which really doesn't look any different to me. I've never paid much more than $100 for a pair, which is a small price to pay for warm feet all winter.

I am still trying to find a pair of gloves that is thin enough to work in yet warm and somewhat waterproof. For some reason the ones I've had in previous years (Seirus) have been discontinued, and I haven't been able to find replacements I like...Suggestions?
                            Ristra Ranch Equestrian Jewelry

Comment

I just rode out today in 14 degree weather with the wind chill bringing it to minus zero. I wore a wool sock liner and a thick wool sock over it, Mountain Horse winter paddock boots, Mountain Horse unisex winter riding pants, Under Armour, a Schmidt winter coat, Mountain Horse winter endurance gloves, a face/ear/neck shield under my helmet.

The only parts that got cold were my toes, but that's my vulnerable place anyway.

The best gear I wore are the Mountain Horse pants and gloves and the under-helmet face/ear shield.

My horse was rather fresh in this weather!
                              Looking for horse activity in the Twin Tiers? Follow my blog at http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dubarry boots. They were my best investment ever. Waterproof up to below the knee, and warm!

Comment

We have found that the hot pocket hand and toe warmers are the BEST thing EVER!! otherwise the girls toes freeze and their hands get cold. I can get enough other layers on them to keep their bodies warm but hands and feet are tough!
                                  Kim
                                  If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

My Mountain Horse coat. It's the warmest coat I've ever had. Last night I was walking to a hockey game with my friends, who were all complaining about the cold and windchill--and I was fine, even though I'm normally cold all the time. I love this coat so much that I bought a Mountain Horse fleece-lined jacket too, which is thin but warm and is great for layering.
                                    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

I live in California, so I'm not sure if I can really comment, but Grabbers hand warmers, and Grabbers footwarming insoles... awsome.

Comment

Can't do without my....

"Brit Colt" tall Muck Boots w/heels for barn chores and winter riding
                                        (have to use larger irons 'cause they're a bit clunky)

SSG Winter Rancher gloves for chores

SSG Wind Stopper gloves for riding

Long underwear
                                        HorsePower! www.tcgequine.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X