• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I want to hear from the "pony jocks"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to hear from the "pony jocks"

I want to know what type of pony the "pony jocks" 15 and under like in the ponies they ride. What is it that makes that "special pony" so special? Is it a certain feel, a particular way they jump? Or is it something that they just can't explain? I know what I like, but would love to hear from the kids that will be riding the results of my efforts in the breeding shed.
    Fox Ridge

Champ. Welsh Lands End The Colonels Fox
    Fox Ridge Welsh ponies on fb

well, i'm 17 now, but play my barn's pony jock role because i am so tiny, and i have been that kid for a while.

i love ponies that are slightly evil but are willing to cooperate after "having a conversation" i like to say what bugs me is when a pony has a lot of potential and they are extremely stubborn about allowing us to take advantage of that. i like a challenging pony that is at least willing to work, or consider working

over all, ponies are more fun
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

Originally posted by superpony123 View Post

i love ponies that are slightly evil but are willing to cooperate after "having a conversation" i like to say what bugs me is when a pony has a lot of potential and they are extremely stubborn about allowing us to take advantage of that. i like a challenging pony that is at least willing to work, or consider working

over all, ponies are more fun
      Another 17 year old chiming in...

I agree with everything stated above! Ponies are only fun if they have that ponytude we all secretly love. Moving away from personality, I'm drawn to ponies who have that "omf" in their way of going too. The refined ponies are cute and all, but there's nothing like riding a pony that thinks its a 16h warmblood. I like the ponies that feel a little heavier and a little more powerful in their step.

Comment

Opinion of an Ex-Pony Jock but I third the Evil Pony. <3 the Evil ones.

There was a really good saying I heard once

"See that cute little pony? Well that's one evil little girl riding it."
        If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

Comment

Originally posted by ponyxjd View Post
          Another 17 year old chiming in...

I agree with everything stated above! Ponies are only fun if they have that ponytude we all secretly love. Moving away from personality, I'm drawn to ponies who have that "omf" in their way of going too. The refined ponies are cute and all, but there's nothing like riding a pony that thinks its a 16h warmblood. I like the ponies that feel a little heavier and a little more powerful in their step.
          A third 17 year old chiming in!

I agree about liking ponies that have a bit of spunk and a good amount of potential. I really appreciate ponies that will try their hardest for their rider once they trust them. I'm 5'6 but I still ride, train and show(larges mostly) and the ponies I've enjoyed most, have good personalities and are willing to learn and trust the rider to take care of them.

In the past few months, I've built a great bond with my 6yr old project pony and she will do basically anything for me since she trusts me. She has scope, talent, and brains and I really value those three things in a pony. I never refuse catch rides, but when I'm offered projects, I take on the ponies that fit that criteria.

Comment

i really do not mind whats in the pony.
            what makes the "special pony" is a pony that you can really bond to and is just an awesome ride. when the pony is just freely moving with a poweful but "graceful" jump it is truthfully my favorite. im still a young junior and ride the ponies, the evil ones really do end up awesome

i especially like the ponies that you can just have fun with.
            no the pony doesnt have to listen at fist but when yu bond with the pony a little they really do learn how to listen.

i personally love ponies and would really like it if i was to take on some pony catchriding at traverse city next year along with showing my own pony in the large's.

i can tell when i get the good pony and when i get the pony that i dont necessarily like. in the end of every ride, no matter what happened during the course or flat, i cant help myself but to adore the pony.

most ponies will listen to me, ive ridden for ten years and have trained/ridden several ponies! with the help of my own awesome trainer i was able to start a four year old paint a few years back, completly get a pony spook free and going around courses winning-this pony was one that nobody wanted because it was especially evil and we brought it up to her full potential, ive also semi-trained my own pony

im no where near professional i just have fun, learn my pony, and go from there the special ones are truly the ones that let you create a small bond!
            ~riding is life~

Comment

Originally posted by Void View Post
              Opinion of an Ex-Pony Jock but I third the Evil Pony. <3 the Evil ones.

There was a really good saying I heard once

"See that cute little pony? Well that's one evil little girl riding it."
              Another ex-pony jock fourthing the evil pony.
              http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
              Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

Yet another ex-pony jock chiming in when I was younger I would say it would be a toss up for the favorite pony that I catch rode between 2 medium ponies. They were completely different builds; one was like a mini warmblood, one was a very refined section B welsh(http://www.pajonponies.com/gallery.html scroll down to Pajons Royal Tapestry), and both moved completely different; one had the hunter daisy cutter trot, where as the other had a bit too much knee action (was ok at the canter so did well over fences just not in the hacks...). The main thing that they both had in common was a LOT of jump, the one could jump easily clear 3'6 undersaddle, the other I never had the chance to try jumping him that high but I am sure he could have as well, and both jumped with great form. The other thing I liked about them was that they were a forward ride.

Even though I am an adult I still seem to end up with a pony project on the go, just can't show them in the pony hunters so have ended up getting them going over fences but also really welll schooled on the flat so that I can show them dressage. I would say my preferences have changed a little in that I don't want them quite as forward as I used to like when I was a kid because I have found that it is harder to find them the right fit with a gutsy little kid. I still want a pony that is smart and responsive to the aides I just don't want the one that has to be ridden down for an hour or more before showing (Tapestry the welsh mare did NOT need this but my show pony ended up being named Rise and Shine because we were always the first one in the warm-up rings in the morning). If I could find a pony with the mind my current project has but more suspension I think it would be the ultimate show pony. My current project has been smart enough that at 5 years old I have shown her at third level dressage, she quietly jumps around a 2'6 to 2'9 course with auto changes, can go for a trail ride, be ridden bareback, is not spooky at all at home or at the shows, and will quietly stand around for as long as you want her to to be fussed over. She is great because I can put a kid on her and trust that they will be safe, and kids love her because they can get her to do anything they want so easily, her only catch is that as a hunter she would be better suited to being a short stirrup mount.

Comment

Im 15 and about 5'4", so I still get to play pony jock. Personally, I like a challenging ride. Not something that acts stupid, but something that you have to really ride and think on. I like a pony that is brave to the jumps and truly enjoys jumping. I like a pony that will listen to my input, BUT, if I screw up, it tries its best to help. And like everyone else, I like a little spunk in them.
                  "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

Well back in the day when I used to ride ponies (although at 19 and 5 ft 7 I still have been known to jump a few around when they're being naughty ) my favorite was the awful one named Flapjack. This was the time before I owned a horse so I showed whatever I could and one happened to be an older school pony who had been around forever and would buck EVERYONE off. I ended more than one lesson in tears and covered in dust, but I didn't give up because I knew it would help me get better in the long run. When we finally started working together his former flashiness came out and he began to act like a proper show pony and we were ready to rock! It was so adorable and satisfying to take him to a show when he would act all proud of his braids and do his very best. One time I walked out of the ring and was given a blank-check offer on him! If only they saw the bucks that happened at home
                    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Comment

Pony jocks are the best - worth all your weight in gold! I am so lucky to have a great one to get my ponies started - I am too old for bucks, spooks and silly pony behavior but she loves it! Now if I could just get her to like showing as much as she likes polocross....
                      http://faircourthunterponies.homestead.com/

Comment

I've been lucky enough to ride and show lots of different ponies.
                        First and foremost, I think that the best ponies WANT to be good and WANT to win. They may not be easy rides, but once they go in the show ring they have to have presence and catch the judge's eye. Sometimes that means that they have an attitude as well!
                        The really nice pony hunters have a great rhythm and big strides. It's not fun to have to run down the lines. They need to have a nice athletic jump with knees UP. It's a huge plus if they jump well from a variety of distances, which allows the rider a little bit more leeway.
                        Most kids are more comfortable on a pony that is more of a "kick ride." It's easier to make a pony go than to make it whoa typically, and a slow steady rhythm is much prettier than a quick one.

Comment

Pony person here...I'm 28 and 5'3. My pony is 14 hands flat. more spirited, heck of a jumper and thinks he's a WB....more than the 16.3 TB I ride. Love the personality (we have pony days and horse days...mostly the former.)

Comment

My daughter is 11 and much prefers a pony with go. Her first pony was a sit and kick pony. Her current pony is forward and although she moves like a hunter (and is bred to be one as she is by Halcyon Sir Lancelot), both she and my daughter prefer the jumpers. As a Welsh/TB cross, she is built more like a TB. She is very personable and although she can be a little spooky in a new situation, she has a brain. If you put her to work she focuses and quickly loses the spook and quickness. She has a big jump but as her neck and headset are a little more upright than the traditional hunter look, my daughter has no trouble staying with her (with some consecutive trainer rides she will drop her head and neck and look more huntery).

We bought her as a green 6 yo with the plan that our trainer would ride her 4 days a week and my daughter two days a week. That quickly changed as we discovered that she was very smart and trainable. Now as a 7 yo, our trainer rides and jumps her once a week and my daughter rides her the rest of the week. My daughter shows her in the 2'6" to 2'9" jumpers and because she is a nimble little pony, they are quite competitive. She is still green. Given a choice her distances are inconsistant and she really prefers the long one. However, she is rateable and my daughter has no problem (for the most part) finding nice enough distances on her.

I really feel that her best attribute is her brain and I am not sure if that is a TB thing or a Welsh thing. So far, she seems not to have the devious little pony mind and actually looks forward to working. Although I understand the other posters affinity for bratty ponies, it's really nice for a young rider to have a pony who wants to work with them. However, my daughter's first pony was a total brat who knew all the pony tricks. He made my daughter a good rider by default. There were times when she did break down into tears because she couldn't get past his antics but he did a good job of preparing her for her current pony. Although this pony is much more athletic than the bratty pony, my daughter is confident that she can handle whatever happens.

Comment

As 40+ yr old pony jock (4'10") I can tell you what I like and can also tell you what the pony kids I have like: Adjustability, a big stride that carries you and a little bit of its own motor. Next comes a good, strong jump but not the bone jarring, pop you out of the tack jump. for the pony ring, a pony that is built to go as a pony is a plus...some of them are built to go a little too dressage-y, or a little to roung which does not always fair so well in the hack.

The ability to take a joke is also a good attribute...a pony that can get itself out of trouble if it gets put to a fence wrong is always a good thing

As a breeder, I would aim for the correct build, a great canter and a bit of a motor. To me, a great canter is the number one factor in getting a good jump out of a pony.
                              Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Comment

Gah, wish I was still a pony jock... 15 and 5'7". I was a pony jock for around 4 years... I really liked the ones who had heart and would jump the moon for you.

A little story as an example... My sister is still a pony jock (but she's catching up on me in height so her pony days are coming to an end...) and she rode this amazing pony that we both helped train. My trainer bought the pony as a 4 year old and she was just green broke. My sis was 8 and I was 10. We rode the pony and taught her everything she knows with a little help from the other girls who were bigger and more experienced than us. My sister showed her in walk trot the first year, I showed her in ponies the year after... it went on. She's been everywhere from lead line to Adult Medals to 3'3 jumpers and we've free jumped her up to five feet. She's an amazing jumper with style and go. That's the kind of heart I like in a pony... the ones that just love to jump and will do anything for you. She's now 9 and is for sale if anyone's interested...
                                Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Comment

I do love evil ponies because they are fun, but my favorite pony to show is one that isn't spooky and has its own motor.
                                  http://www.youtube.com/user/meleenbeen

Comment

Though now I'm 17 and 5'8" I did quite a bit of pony riding when I was younger and of course shorter. I have to say the evil pony thing is a real seller. It's great for kids to ride the pony that is evil enough to be a challenge without scaring them. I know a kid that rides at my barn now and she would much prefer a pony that needs to be "trained" than a perfect pony. There's something thrilling to kids about a young pony that needs to be helped along so they feel like they're being the big kid that is trusted enough to ride the hard one.

I also always much appreciated a pony with a big stride. Though I know most of the smalls have to gallop the lines anyways, when you're showing in the regular pony divisions, especially the larges, it's a bit nerve racking galloping towards a 3' oxer and not being completely sure whether you're going to get there or not.

But in a nutshell, ponies should be really cute, good movers, snappy jumpers, and have a little spunk to go along with them.
                                    "To accomplish great things we must not only act, but dream; not only plan, but also believe."

Comment

I'm 16 and the designated pony jock at my barn. I'm 5'4". The barn used to have this little pony that was the biggest brat and pain in the ass to tack up and handle, but riding him was so much fun. He had lots of go and jumped awesome. I prefer ponies with a bit of evil and get up and go. Ponies that are lazy and you have to kill to get moving are no fun.
                                      So yes, another kid for the evil ponies
                                      proud owner of a crazy dutch warmblood

Comment

I'm not under 15 (I'm 25 now), but I've been a "pony jock" since my early teens. I trained at an eventing barn for a few years and at 5'5" and 110, I fit ok down to the bigger smalls and up for flatwork and low jumping - just raised my stirrups if necessary. Michael Page has told me, "With talent comes temperment!" regarding my personal horses, and I think that's true at any size. I've always liked the ponies with a bit of spark - not enough to scare (especially with younger riders), but enough to challenge. It's boring otherwise. I don't do hunters, so I can't comment on that, but for jumpers and eventing, I like something built well enough to be truly adjustable and can give you a nice big stride if you ask, a bounce to the canter and big jump so nothing looks huge, and an ultimately even-keeled temperament (a little evil is ok by me, but not totally unstable or really spooky).

I had great fun doing baby x-c (2') on a 12.2 pony last year - rock solid but HOT.

Comment

Working...
                                        X