• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Becoming a Working Student for Florida Winter Circuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Working Student for Florida Winter Circuit

I was wondering if you guys could explain the job of a working student to me and how I could go about finding a trainer to work for. I want to stay in Florida for a month, without a horse.

Here is a little back round info: I have been showing in the 3'6" divisions for almost 5 years and have gone to all of the equitation finals multiple times, mostly on green horses. I have never had a groom and I ride absolutely everything. I can braid really well too. I am a junior in high school and I would have to go to school down there.

What kind of jobs would I be doing? Would I be payed or would it be a work to ride deal? Is it hard to go to school and work?

I have a couple of trainers in mind that know me, but if you guys know of any other trainers showing at WEF or Ocala that would be great! Hopefully these questions don't sound obvious, sorry if they do.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/meleenbeen

Try this website....

www.wellington-wef.com
    It has kind of changed the format (I liked it better as it was before...) but under classifieds you can post or read if anyone needs help or a rider. Usually everybody showing there posts there...
    Good Luck!
    Viv
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Comment

I *almost* did that this year. Here's what I ran into:

Some may not apply, but I'll cover all the bases mentioned to me when I was contemplating it.

1. Most people won't want you for a month. And even if this will take you, you won't be worth enough to them that it won't cost you any money. You definitely wouldn't be earning money--you never are in a WS situation.

2. School.
      *For me, I am leaving for a semester abroad in march. I felt like the time from now until then would be a waste if I just stayed at my school and took classes in things I would never receive a final grade on.
      *You can't attend a day school and have a live-in working student position
      -how will you get to school?
      -you won't have enough time to work between the school day and homework, you'll miss all of the important parts of the day
      -This may or may not apply, but if your home school's curriculum doesn't match with the school you plan on attending, which it most likely won't, you won't have any productive learning time in one month, and you will miss out on important aspects of cumulative subjects.

Sorry to be a downer, but you really can't go to florida for a month as a working student.
      "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
      "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

Comment

A month is difficult but not impossible. Making some basic assumptions:
        1, Your school has signed off on this and thus you are available to work fulltime while in Florida - if you can't be available fulltime (which for most working students looks like as early as 4am and through the day until 7 or 8 at night) then you are not likely to be of much help
        2. You are totally prepared to groom for multiple horses - from feeding, watering and ,mucking through lunging and getting them ready and bringing them to the ring and then all the work that goes after showing including wrapping etc
        3. As you said, you know some trainers that might wokr with you and/or your current trainer is willing to hook you up with someone

Expect to work harder than you thought possible for longer hours and with less reward than you might expect = especially if you are hopeful of lessoning, riding or showing (because that will be the compensation)

Its possible its been done and it is worth it in many cases - make sure that you understand the deal going in and that it makes sense in terms of learning/riding/exposure for you

Comment

Originally posted by neigh.neigh View Post
          I was wondering if you guys could explain the job of a working student to me and how I could go about finding a trainer to work for. I want to stay in Florida for a month, without a horse.

Here is a little back round info: I have been showing in the 3'6" divisions for almost 5 years and have gone to all of the equitation finals multiple times, mostly on green horses. I have never had a groom and I ride absolutely everything. I can braid really well too. I am a junior in high school and I would have to go to school down there.

What kind of jobs would I be doing? Would I be payed or would it be a work to ride deal? Is it hard to go to school and work?

I have a couple of trainers in mind that know me, but if you guys know of any other trainers showing at WEF or Ocala that would be great! Hopefully these questions don't sound obvious, sorry if they do.
          Working students = unpaid grooms, but with the possibility of getting lessons (or at least someone paying attention while you hack a sale horse or one for a customer.)

I cannot imagine there would be any way to be a working student at a busy show like WEF and carry a normal courseload. Working students start with the grooms (early AM) work all day and will frequently do night check (late PM.)

The duties will vary somewhat by barn, but generally a working student would be expected to do all the usual chores (mucking, grooming, feeding, turn out or handwalk, tack and untack for the trainer, do laundry, clean tack, keep the aisles and tack stalls tidy, etc.) It is typical to get lessons as the main compensation - but at a busy horseshow, it would be unrealistic to expect the trainer's primary attention - which will be on customers. "Lessons" could easily wind up being a few comments here or there as you hack a sales horse, while the trainer rides another one nearby. They might also be fabulous, dedicated lessons where you learn a lot - but that is the exception, not the rule. It is quite unlikely that there would be an opportunity to show.

If you have never actually worked as a groom, you will be of limited use as a working student, I'm afraid. If you braid really well, that actually might be a better route to take if you can hire on with a regular braider who needs an extra pair of hands.
          We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Will people even hire High School students as a WS at WEF? WEF is pretty busy and I highly doubt you're gonna be able to do high school AND work for someone showing. Like others have suggested, as a WS you're job will pretty much be 24/7.
            To the OP....I'd wait til you are out of high school to pursue a working student position. In the meantime, gain more experience locally by braiding for shows in your area or working weekends or evenings at a barn nearby. Get your education underway and then focus on maybe getting a WS position somewhere at WEF.

Comment

yes, Jr in high school is awfully young. If it were my kid, no way, Jose.

(and everything that jse said...)

Comment

I don't want to come off as too much of a downer but...

Usually, you won't get offered anything at a top show circuit like this unless they know you well and have known you for awhile. Fact most come out of the trainers program at the home barn and travel with them all year.

Most of the barns already have their working students well set and already working with the show horses that will be going...and some barns are already packing the trailers.

Even if there were openings for this? It would be full time only-they need the most help weekdays 7am to 4pm.

Now, you might be able to snag a paid groom position because somebody always needs one but, again, it's full time. Plus, if somebody quits mid circuit? Often a good reason-might be somebody you don't want to work for.

Anyway...this type circuit is usually top barns and they have full time adult Pro help in all positions and only use W/S that travel with them all year.

Ask your own trainer first to see if you can't dig something up. Just going in cold turkey and asking is not going to get you anything, I'm afraid.
                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                X