• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Insuring the Older Show Horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insuring the Older Show Horse

Background: My A/O Hunter turns 18 in January. He is not campaigned hard, and is still perfectly happy and capable doing his job. We place consistently at A and AA shows (as long as I don't ride to a miss). I am currently considering insurance options (mortality and surgical) for the next few years. He is currently insured, but the rate increases drastically for next year.

For those of you who have been through this, which companies have the best rates? At what age do companies no longer offer insurance? Is this standard throughout the industry or does it vary by company? At what point does it become more effective to invest/save the amount of the insurance premiums rather than paying for insurance?

I will be calling several agents over the next few weeks, but wanted to get ideas here as a jumping off point.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I bought my old mare when she was 17 and could not get her insured, because of her age. Mind you, this was in Canada and the choice of insurance companies was pretty limited, but keeping that in mind, deciding to move insurance companies might be impossible at his age.

Depending on how much coverage you're actually getting, I'd probably just suck it up and pay the premiums. You never know what stupid thing a horse is going to do to get themselves in a very expensive mess .

Even if you cancel your insurance and save up all the extra money you would have spent on it, it might not be enough, in the end.
    Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
    Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Could you maybe lower his 'price' (get him re-appraised) so the mortality premiums will be lower?
      And for surgical: Most vets I've talked to won't do a colic surgery on a horse over 15, so maybe just switch to major medical?

Comment

I believe EMO, Wellfargo and the other companies who are underwritten by Great American stop insuring horses for major medical/ surgical when they are older than 16.

Comment

EMO insured an 18-year-old for me. I think Markel might also.

Comment

yeah, my 17 yr old is insured (surgical/mortality) by Hartford, but then again, he's been covered y them for 6 years w/o a single claim, so I suppose that might be a factor. We shall see what happens next year when the policy renews...
            Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by heartinrye View Post
              And for surgical: Most vets I've talked to won't do a colic surgery on a horse over 15, so maybe just switch to major medical?
              This is not true everywhere. I personally have a horse that had surgery at 18. There was no mention of his age in the discussion to go to surgery at all.
              I also know of two others that had surgery at 16 and 17 respectively.

As for insurance Great American will only do major medical up to 15 I believe. Then you just get surgical, and make sure you read the small print on that one, it doesn't cover everything you think it will.
              "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Comment

Originally posted by heartinrye View Post
                Not true. Sent a 17 almost 18 year old to colic surgery in Feb. I was the one who was going to put him down due to his age. Personal vet and equine hospital said no lets go for it and see what we have. Ten months later he is back to his old self. Yes it is much harder on the older guys.

I had surgical and major medical on him. Markel paid out the 5000 surgical no problems. He is in his final year of coverage. They will not insure him once he hits 19. And of course he is not covered anymore for colic surgery (you get a one shot deal), not that I would send him again. I debated whether to renew the policy however surgical covers some may things so I did renew the policy.

Comment

I think your plan to shop around is very well-considered. I have a sixteen-year old (this coming year) who just got dropped for MM by Broadstone/Hartford. I could (and did) keep the mortality and surgical on him although I feel pretty sure if I ever tried to claim anything on that, they'd fine-print their way out of it. I have not been pleased with them but my impression is, past 15 it's hard to switch to a new insurer, and something at least may be better than nothing in case real disaster strikes. The surgical gives me some peace of mind, at least. But, the main thought that crossed my mind was that if my super-picky co. let me keep my mort & surg, I believe you should be able to find some that will help you out. The one I keep hearing the most good things about seems to be Markel.
                  Blog: The Continuing Adventures of an (ahem) Mature Re-Rider without a Trust Fund...but, finally, A Farm of Her Own!!

Comment

My mare was dropped from major medical at 16, surgical at 18 or 19 (don't remember). I called around then and no one else would consider insuring her for surgical or medical.

Comment

I would seriously consider whether it makes more sense to insure him or to simply bank the premiums into a special "vet account". Even if you can get covered this year, you're soon to the point where they won't do another year. I'm frankly surprised that they're offering you coverage at 18 - you can talk to your agent about what will happen at 19, whether they'll renew and whether it matters if he has no claims or not. And, unless he's extremely valuable, the mortality probably doesn't make a lot of sense.
                      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I have my retired TB insured through Great American... he's 20, about to be 21. I can't get Major Medical on him anymore, but still have mortality and surgical.

The only big claims I ever made on him were 1. when he was 13 and had a suspensory injury on his RH, and 2. when he was 18 and bashed his front hoof (the surgical part of his treatment was covered).

Interestingly, when his insurance was renewed this past October, I received a letter spelling out in detail what part of him was still covered and what was excluded. For some bizarre reason, his entire right hind leg has been excluded from coverage, even though insurance claims made only related to the suspensory. My agent spoke with Great American but couldn't get them to change it.

Overall, though, I've been very pleased with Great American.

Comment

I use broadstone. I have used them with 2 horses, one had many many claims. They paid quickly, were easy to get in touch with and seemed to care about what was best for the horse (never questioned some "alternative" treatments).
                          My 16yo is still insured through them grundens (just renewed!). I have full coverage on him, I am not sure at what point that will change though. Unless minor, I would not put him through anything surgical (such as colic).
                          ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
                          For a moment there, you bored me to death

Comment

Working...
                          X