• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Winter Riding Breeches or Pants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Riding Breeches or Pants

This is my first winter to do jumping so I am trying to figure out if I should get Breeches or Pants for winter riding. If I get pants do you wear half chaps over them? I don't have tall boots yet. Are the Pants more bulky than the breeches?

I find nothing is warmer than fleece breeches. I wear the cheap ones but I have heard the Beval ones are exceptionally nice, and more flattering than some others. I have no problem wearing them with my half chaps but I don't think they would fit under my tall boots.

Comment

I have the Beval's breeches and luffffff them. They do look very nice and keep me warm. They fit fine under my half chaps and tall boots, both of which are pretty tight.

I have a strong feeling that they are the same breeches that Smartpak says are made by Custom Riding Apparel. They look exactly the same, and until recently, both only came in blue.

Comment

I got a pair of Kerrits winter sport breeches off ebay, they're fleece lined. They're extremely comfortable and so warm. They fit really well too.
        - paintmare

Horse Eden Eventing - A Virtual Eventing Escape

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Soprano View Post
          I have the Beval's breeches and luffffff them. They do look very nice and keep me warm. They fit fine under my half chaps and tall boots, both of which are pretty tight.

I have a strong feeling that they are the same breeches that Smartpak says are made by Custom Riding Apparel. They look exactly the same, and until recently, both only came in blue.
          But the Smartpak ones are exceptionally short, according to a friend who has them. I believe she told me they end just barely below her knee, and she is not tall. The Beval ones are longer.

Comment

I love my Kerrits fleece breeches. I also have the TuffRider ones, which aren't as nice--they pill a lot and get stained easily--but they are warm.
            "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Unfortunately, the Beval fleece lined breech - which does, IMO, fit better than the Smartpak offering by Custom Riding Apparel (ie, long enough to cover more than 3" past your knees....) is only available any more by special order. *sigh*
              We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
              -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I love my Irideon Powerstretch Breeches: http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,2179.html. I live in MT and is gets ubber cold here. These are love. I put a pair of Smart Wool tights under them when it is REALLY cold and I am good to go.
                Eventingismylife
                http://www.jumpingthebigsky.wordpress.com

Comment

Last fall Bevals carried them in the New Canaan store. I am not sure if that was typical, but they had quite a few in stock.

It is interesting that people don't like the custom riding apparel breeches. I have a pair of their show breeches that fit beautifully and I am closer to wearing a long breech than a short.

Comment

I ordered both from Beval (a couple years ago) and Smartpak and both pairs I have are identical. Same maker, same fit, same everything. I have found that the Custom Riding Apparel fit pretty much the same as my TS breeches. I'm a regular length person and don't find them short at all. The only thing that I don't like about the lined breeches is the velcro down at the bottom of the leg is kind of bulky -- I really notice it makes a lump under my boots/chaps. I'm thinking I will be doing a little modification to that as I don't need that much velcro to hold my pants down.

Comment

I agree with horsepoor, haa in more ways than one!, that I think that they are the same breech. Maybe some got a poor prototype (sp?) .

Comment

I have the Irideon fleece tights and really like them. They're not too bulky, and I can wear them with my half chaps. They are plenty long enough. Granted, I am not tall (just under 5'2"), but they come down to my ankle. They are warm enough for most winter days (indoor riding). On really cold days, I wear sweat pants over the top and take them off just before I go to the ring to ride.

I also have the Tuff Rider fleece breeches. They are bulkier and not quite as long as the Irideons. They're definitely warmer, but let's say that they don't have much to offer in the fashion department (ie. they're ugly). They also have a zip pocket on the front.

Comment

I stepped up from the Irideon Powerstretch to the Irideon Wind Pro breech three years ago, and I LOVE it. I've ridden 3 Michigan winters, and am fixing to ride an Ohio winter, in them. I am comfortable in them down to about 20 degrees, at which point I add a layer of microfiber long underwear (Cuddl' Duds) under them.

IMO the wind-resistant properties of the Wind Pro breech make a huge difference to your warmth. I was so impressed with my breeches that I soon after purchased a Mountain Hardwear fitted fleece jacket in Wind Pro fleece.

Don't forget your FEET. I couldn't keep riding in the winter without my Mountain Horse Thinsulate-lined paddock boots and Smartwool socks.
                          Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Thanks jn4jenny! I've always wondered if the Wind Pro breeches were warmer than the regular ones. I wasn't sure it would make a difference for me because I ride indoors during the winter.

Comment

Love my Irideon fleece-lined britches... I wouldn't be caught dead in the barn without them in the winter. TOTD ran a sale on them a couple months ago and I bought two pair.
                              *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

Originally posted by SarahandSam View Post
                                I love my Kerrits fleece breeches.
                                Ditto for me! I think the one's I bought are the windpro's? I've never had winter breeches before and I am loving them, sometimes I even leave then on when I get home.
                                It makes it so much better having the right equipment.

Comment

I have the pikeur ciara winter breeches, they're super warm

Comment

I also use the Kerrit Winter breeches w/ the fleece lining. They are very warm and comfortable. Highly recommend them!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
                                      Unfortunately, the Beval fleece lined breech - which does, IMO, fit better than the Smartpak offering by Custom Riding Apparel (ie, long enough to cover more than 3" past your knees....) is only available any more by special order. *sigh*
                                      Are you sure its only by special order? I noticed that the navy breech must be a special order but they now have it in tan too, and it appears you can order that color directly from Beval's website. I know in previous years I think they only sold them in navy? Is the tan new this year?

Comment

I purchased a pair from Dover last year that I think were called Tuff Rider power fleece. Not sure exactly about that though. They have fleece on the inside. Very warm.

But, I just got a pair called Tropical Riders Toasties and am totally in love. I was lucky enough to get a pair on sale from SmartPak but the next day, they were completely gone. They also have fleece on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                                        X