• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

No Stirrup Month - Survival Tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Stirrup Month - Survival Tips?

I recently moved barns and this new barn has proclaimed December as "No Stirrup Month" Dun dun dunnnn....

I'm old - middle aged adult anyways and apparently no one is immune!

I can't imagine I'll be getting much done with all of the walk breaks I'll be taking ....

They say if you survive the first week you're golden - is this true or just a ploy to cripple me faster?

Will I be able to walk by Christmas?

What will become of me in my jumping lessons!?

Please share any survival tips and/or sooth my fears!!

Gotta love sitting trot and sitting canter, otherwise I'm shot in 10 minutes...

Comment

yeah, i tried "No Stirr-October" and I think it lasted for like 2 rides. Of course, I didn't actually remove my stirrups, so that made it easier to cheat.

i second the sitting trot and canter will be your new best friend

Good Luck!

Comment

It's absolutely true that if you make it through the first week you're fine! The first time you jump without stirrups for a whole lesson you will feel like you're going to fall off at every single jump, but second lesson is 200 times easier I promise!

Comment

wow, that just sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me!

I would say...lots of wine and advil. Although not necessarily at the same time. Or before attempting a no stirrup ride.

Comment

Go to the Gym and spent 30mins 3x a week on the abductor machine

Hahaha but no really its a great supplemental to riding. I spent a lot of time on it in college and my Eq was tight for IHSA.
            If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

Comment

Build up gradually. My trainer took my friend's stirrups away for two months! She started out taking a lot of walk/sitting trot breaks, but eventually could keep up entire flat sessions doing the same things as everyone else(post trot, half seat, etc). As far as jumping goes, my old trainer started us over xrails then gradually increased the jump height when we had shown that we could support our own bodies and not piss our horses off or fall off! It's like torture at first, but you'll get used to it more and more and get stronger too! After my time off of riding from an injury, I'm just now getting back to normal so my trainer has recently decided that it's no stirrup time for me!

Comment

I absolutely LOVE no stirrup work!! I wish we had it more often in my lessons! You really get to feel your horse more and when you do get your stirrups back you will feel a huge difference. Just think about it as a good/fun thing to do (not an *ughh I don't want to*) and it will become just that!

(ps, if you're feeling tired work on lateral work at the walk--- not too tiring but very effective)

Comment

Oh and don't quit too easily...it hurts a lot at first and then suddenly gets easier, but if you quit as soon as it starts to get hard then you never get over that hump.

Comment

• Original Poster

You guys are making me feel a bit better about this - thank-you

My first stirrup-less ride will be tonight - I'll be wearing full seats for sure and perhaps I will arrive primed on Advil with wine chilling at home... The real test will be the lessons though and I still have two to look forward to this week. I'll be hoping that I will get to skip on the jumping for a week or two as I am pretty sure it might kill me (or my thighs might!). Cheating will not be an option as the instructor is usually teaching when I am riding. I know this will be good for me but ouch! it hurts to even think about how I'm going to feel. Hopefully it won't be near as bad as I am imaging....

Comment

You should have a barn mate literally HIDE your stirrups. That way there is no way you can cheat haha. Also maybe on your "off" days hop on bareback maybe with your horses blanket still on and just poke around. It's technically no stirrups and its fun for you and your horse .
                      There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
                      inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I did today's ride stirrupless (30 minutes) and needless to say my abs and thighs are hating me. In a weird way, the discomfort feels good because you know you've worked hard.
                        By January, you will have thighs of steel!
                        Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Comment

hmm that actually sounds like a really good idea! i've been a sucker for punishment lately (and just decided to do a half-marathon in the spring, i know what's wrong with me?!) so thinking maybe i'll do that.

Comment

Oooh good old no stirrup month, how I (don't) miss thee. My old coach did this every November, my new coach doesn't appear to, or at least hasn't mentioned it, yet.

I would keep motivated by reminding myself just how much my leg would be improved after the month. I'm only 18, but really it was never very painful. The first two lessons would be difficult, but after we were all warmed up and going, we were mostly allowed to just sit the trot.

We did all the same sorts of jumping lessons as we normally did, but with the jumps much lower. The first lesson was usually a flat lesson.

I just worked with it by trying to plan a little bit of extra time into my rides to give myself breaks if need be.

Good luck! It'll be worth it in the end.

ETA: My coach actually took our stirrups away and locked them in the trunk of her car. Anyone who was caught with a second set of stirrups got extra time added on at the end of the month. Cheating was not an option! Hahah
                            Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                            Like us on Facebook!

Comment

You've inspired me... I broke my foot last week and have negotiated my way into a walking cast, but I think it may be hard to balance correctly with stirrups, so maybe I'll use this as my motivation to do a stirrupless December...

I get so chicken about cantering stirrupless, but this will probably be good for me. Unless I slide off and try to land on my foot. d;
                              "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

I did no stirrups for 3 months last year . . . Don't be complaining to ME!! It's true, after you get past the first week you're set.

Thankfully, I dodged the No Stirrups Wager (everyone participating puts $10 in and whoever keeps it up the longest takes it all) this year when my trainer said I have great leg position and strength without my stirrups but my leg gets worse with stirrups because I don't know how to use them correctly. My months without stirrups have backfired on me! So I guess a few months of tying my stirrups to the girth is on the horizon. Methinks after a few rides I am going to miss keeping my stirrups in my tack box!
                                http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

Comment

My trainer kind of does this. Let me explain...

She takes away all of the kids sturrips for a week if at a show one person messes up on their "thing". My "thing" is adding a stride in a line. So if at a show I get 6 strides in a line instead of 5, all of the kids lose thier sturrips for the week. It is acctually great motivation! I haven't added in a line at a show after I made that mistake once. Other "things" include, missing a lead change, leaning at a jump, leaving out a stride, picking up the wrong lead, and for one girl it's even going off course! She chooses our "things" based on what we usually screw up while on course.

Comment

Set goals!

Because I don't ride with a trainer, one thing that helps me most when I ride with no stirrups (and just riding in general) is setting goals at the beginning of each ride. So once I get on I tell myself "I'm going to trot 10 laps each direction, 8 laps posting, 1 lap sitting, and 1 lap in two point". It really helps me so I don't give up the second I start to get sore. I'll push myself until those 10 laps in one direction are done and then take a walk break before I start the next.

Whenever I'm taking a walk break in between excercises I do stretches to make my muscles less sore. Such as pulling my legs up near my seat or just pointing/flexing my feet. Then back to work!

Don't forget to breath either! Sounds silly but it really helps. I've always been taught to breath through the pain so you get oxygen to your muscles which will help reduce the pain.

Good luck and just keep thinking of that awesome leg you will have at the end of the month!

Comment

Aerial: Did a half marathon a couple of years ago and thinking about a half iron man for the old 30th birthday. It was amazing for my aerobic fitness level and tightness when riding. GREAT IDEA!

I just did "No-Stirrup November" just for fun and because I felt weak jumping bigger jumps on a green horse. I highly recommend it and I did have my groom hide my stirrups in the barn for the month to make it through.

It was easy after the first few days, have fun and enjoy how much harder you are working!
                                      www.jazcreek.com
                                      Specialized Equine Rehabilitation, Reproduction, and Fitness in the Wine Country of Northern California

Comment

If you're comfortable with it, get some bareback in there! I love doing regular flat sessions bareback-it works your muscles and you can feel exactly what's going on. I had the hardest time cantering sans stirrups until I cantered bareback and I could feel exactly where each hip should be going when.
                                        "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

Working...
                                        X