• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why is success in the show ring suddenly the only measure of a rider/trainer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is success in the show ring suddenly the only measure of a rider/trainer?

Do people completely discount the excellent riders, trainers, instructors, horsemen/women out there that (for various reasons) have not had extensive opportunities to show and therefore limited show records?

I know plenty of pros who are very successful in the show ring that I would not let NEAR my horses. Can people not recognize that a good rider is a good rider, and a great trainer a great trainer, despite what their show record may be? Why is the show ring the only standard?

I'm curious...

well said.... unfortunately, people want "objective" measures and this is the only one that seems to exist....

Comment

There are many fine horsemen that don't spend all year on the circuit. Of course unless you happen into their barn and discover them, or get introduced to them some other way, you'd never know about them.
      Shows are the proof of the pudding. Until they are out there in front of people demonstrating the skills of their horses or riders, they are sometimes hard to find.
      F O.B
      Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
      Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

See, I don't consider shows to be the proof of the pudding. The proof of the pudding is a rider that consistently improves the horse on a daily basis, both on the flat and over fences. It's the horseman that perpetually keeps the horse's best interest at heart first and foremost, the one that never loses their temper and always has the right tools in their toolbelt to deal with issues without always resorting to gadgetry. It's someone with vast amounts of knowledge that is able to convey the knowledge to others so they can also reap the benefits.

What I find sad is that a rider/trainer can possess all these things, and for whatever reason (lack of finances as a junior rider, family obligations, etc.) cannot claim extensive success in the show ring, and are commonly passed over in favor of those of much lesser ability/knowledge but good show records...

Comment

I also wouldn't send my horse to 90% of the trainers on the circuit. Some because I don't like the way they treat their horses, some because of the way they treat their clients, and most because of they way they are WAY out of my price range. I'd love to find one of those "undiscovered" gems out there to give my mare to, but alas, I don't have the time to search, so she'll continue to be very happy doing way less than she should be...
          Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Originally posted by LudgerFan View Post
            See, I don't consider shows to be the proof of the pudding. The proof of the pudding is a rider that consistently improves the horse on a daily basis, both on the flat and over fences. It's the horseman that perpetually keeps the horse's best interest at heart first and foremost, the one that never loses their temper and always has the right tools in their toolbelt to deal with issues without always resorting to gadgetry. It's someone with vast amounts of knowledge that is able to convey the knowledge to others so they can also reap the benefits.

What I find sad is that a rider/trainer can possess all these things, and for whatever reason (lack of finances as a junior rider, family obligations, etc.) cannot claim extensive success in the show ring, and are commonly passed over in favor of those of much lesser ability/knowledge but good show records...
            That's all fine and dandy, no really, it is. All of the qualities you've mentioned are fantastic ones. But the fact of the matter is what someone already mentioned. If they don't show, how are you supposed to find them? Sure, you might happen across them while selling a horse or see an ad online or something, but it's sure not as accessible as heading to a show and watching all the trainers and their students all at once.

Furthermore, if your goal is the show ring, it doesn't really make sense to set yourself up with a trainer that doesn't have extensive show experience. No matter their lovely methods and technique or experience as a horseman or woman, they aren't going to have the same ability to guide you through the whole show process as someone who shows extensively or did show extensively in their younger years. The show ring might not be the only standard of merit, but for people who want to show it's obviously a large consideration, although obviously not the only consideration.

The ideal trainer, to me, anyways, would have all of the above, extensive show experience and impeccable horsemanship. I went to the trouble of finding one. Everyone I know went to the trouble of finding one. Obviously, some people don't. Or, the people who don't might not have the same list of priorities as myself. Or maybe they haven't been educated about horsemanship in the same way I have. Either way, I think it's unfair to say that in general people would not recognize a good rider or trainer as one, if their show record does not display it.
            Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
            Like us on Facebook!

Comment

I find it unfortunate as well, in many ways because I'm in that boat. I'm a 'good' trainer (I'd like to believe anyway lol), but I don't show very much. I'm not good in the show ring, period. I don't like it, I don't particularly aspire to do it, but I know its a necessary part of being a trainer. It DOES make advertising a wee bit tricky.
              You know, if you took this jello, put it in a mold and froze it, you could be like look....an emerald. Dude, I'd kick some guys ass he ever tried to give me a jello ring.

Comment

Show ring success means nothing to me. There are plenty of talented & skilled riders/trainers that either don't have the interest or $$$ to go to shows.

Just because you don't have big $$$ or know the right people/have big $$$ clients doesn't mean you arn't as good as the ones that do.

Everyone is so caught up on names.

Comment

Originally posted by kitsunegari View Post
                  Show ring success means nothing to me. There are plenty of talented & skilled riders/trainers that either don't have the interest or $$$ to go to shows.

Just because you don't have big $$$ or know the right people/have big $$$ clients doesn't mean you arn't as good as the ones that do.

Everyone is so caught up on names.
                  agrree matey, bnt trianers arnt the be all and end all
                  what matters is each person with ther horse enjoys what ever they can afford to and keep the horse safe and well as the horse is thy partner in anything equine and one cant acheive anything unless it has a horse to do it on

goals -and aims - small steps make a huge ladder - each step is a goal and each ladder is something we aim for
                  but most of all we tried - win or lose we won becuase we learnt something every time out so its a win win

Comment

Shows are like advertisments. It is tough to have a fantastic product but no one knows about it because it isn't advertised. Shows are not the be all and end all but are a place to advertise (by performance) what your" product " can do.

Comment

My mother is BY far one of the best trainers I know,she is an awesome horsewoman, has that natural instinct and can train with the best of them ( and NO I am not clouded in my judgement I have trained with many OTHER trainers and spent years on the circuit watching and listening) but growing up she trained kids with less money and they did the local circuit, it was NEVER about winning ribbons it was about learning to ride YOUR horse and how to care for it and how to move to the next level instead of staying at a lower level just to win some big ribbon at the end of the year.
                      I think it is a personal CHOICE for the TRAINER, some people don't care if they are a BNT they just do what they love because they love it, they are not looking for the recognition from others they want to share their knowledge with the people who happen to stumble upon them, my mother has produced kids who have gone on to vet school, run large lesson programs and another who married a vet and now runs a awesome breeding program, all of the things these people are doing NOW are directly related to their experiences as kids in our barn. To my mom that is her measure of success! My mom also has her own successful breeding program, and each year her babies win awards and move on to great show homes, for her these quiet accomplishments are what matters.
                      But unless you see her ad in the yellow pages or follow breeding in PA your not likely to run across her, and for her thats ok.
                      Kim
                      If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

LudgerFan wrote: "See, I don't consider shows to be the proof of the pudding. The proof of the pudding is a rider that consistently improves the horse on a daily basis, both on the flat and over fences. It's the horseman that perpetually keeps the horse's best interest at heart first and foremost, the one that never loses their temper and always has the right tools in their toolbelt to deal with issues without always resorting to gadgetry. It's someone with vast amounts of knowledge that is able to convey the knowledge to others so they can also reap the benefits.

What I find sad is that a rider/trainer can possess all these things, and for whatever reason (lack of finances as a junior rider, family obligations, etc.) cannot claim extensive success in the show ring, and are commonly passed over in favor of those of much lesser ability/knowledge but good show records..."

I love this post! I am right there with you LF. To me, the horse, the way it is handeled, trained, and ridden is the PROOF IN THE PUDDING. I could care less about show record. I am a cross over from the dressage ring. Frankly, I am sick to death of all the things that are wrong with the show world - irregardless of discipline. I personally know trainers, on both sides of the fence, who are sick and tired of what is being pinned in the show ring today.

If you think of it this way, when you go show you are judged against what ever and who ever decides to show up that day. Your competitors could truly be the best of the best, or the worst. A judge's job is to simply place what he/she sees in front of him/her on that given day in that given class. It is still a subjective opinion, even in dressage. Yes, I know there are "standards" that their judgements are to be made against, but I don't think I've ever heard of any rider being turned away (not pinned) because their riding and horsemanship didn't meet the established standard.

Personally, I think it one's decision should be made about a trainer, etc. based on what is most important to them. If feeding a purely human ego in a quest for greatness and glory in the show ring is what fuels them, then by all means seek out the "competition" trainer.

If your horse, and its ethical treatment, correct training, and physical and mental preservation are the most important to you - then perhaps you should seek the sort of trainer you so eloquently described!

I know a handful (a small handful) of dressage trainers who fit to a T the description you posted. They are one that I would willingly leave my horse with. Actually there are 3 that I know personally that I would trust implicitly. All three have trained ad ridden to the FEI levels. Out of those three, one no longer actively shows. One periodically shows with great results. A third is at the top of her game nationally and internationally, and is a regular contributor to Dressage Today, and is aligned with some of the BEST trainers in this country.

LG - you rock! Keep on questioning and seeking the BEST for your HORSE who is your FAITHFUL friend and who relies on YOU to provide him with the BEST in care, treatment, training, and yes, love.

Comment

I agree but I see it this way also--

I understand there is alot of people just burned out with showing , but for some like me I see it differently. Maybe it is the amount of showing some have done, like to much, or maybe some injustices have happened. But her is my take.

SHowing does many things- As to how solid the training is.

What a horse can do at home may not accomplish at a show. With some of the top trainers shows are easier than home training--- at least in our barn!!!!

There is a basic truth that a Famous Trainer said to me" The hardest thing about Showing " is "You cannot create what goes on in the showring but in the showring"

At shows you learn if you observe in a non - critical attitude that horse's are dynamic. They put up with our mistakes all kinds of weather and our nerves.

Now you can be the best rider, trainer, barn help , whatever but understanding that when that beautiful horse steps in the ring you need to remember in the back of your head --- it is not all about you as the rider.

Chances are the majority of riders have help along the way. Maybe not like a full service barn , but maybe you did.

Where would I be with my ever so dedicated blacksmith??
                          How about the unrecognized trainer that drills you about your equitation.
                          There is so much than the Tailored Sportsman and Navy Jacket.

And since I know what it takes , my hat DOES go off to our Barn & Trainer cause you know their riders when they show.

Showing means different things to all people. WHen it all comes together understress and a new environment than I personally think it is beautiful.

I use my shows as goals. After I come back I usually have something new to work on , because some issues you can't fix at the shows.

DOes showing have an ugly side -- yeah it does -
                          Mama Rose always said " You don't to look twice at the dead skunk to know it probaly stinks, hold your nose and move on"

Comment

While I do agree that showing should not be the be all and end all of riding, I wonder if the big show barns you are critiquing are as cruel as you make them out to be. In my experience (limited, I will admit), the care at these barns is exceptional and the horses are happy, even if the grooms are in charge of daily care and the owners show with silly year-end goals in mind.

Comment

There is definitely a place for these trainers. I don't think that if you are good with horses and people that you will have a hard time carving out a niche through word of mouth and referrals from other trainers.

I never had the money to do the As as anything other than a working student on green horses. But I learned the skills, and set up shop pretty easily, with local parents approaching me to ask if I would work with their kids. They told other parents, and voila, I had a business with as many kids as my lesson horses could support. I also had a substantial number of adult ammies with fear issues who liked my encouraging but no-pressure style. Most of my horses in training came from owners who had watched me grow up on the local circuit or referrals from trainers who didn't want to work with their problems. Again, it filled up my card, which is all a beginning trainer can ask.

Of course a lot of trainers are great with horses but don't have the people skills to keep their clients. I cannot stress how important it is to KEEP clients -- by creating a fun, no stress, no drama environment with reasonable costs and plenty of opportunity to grow. This is the missing link for most low-level trainers -- there's a little too much crazy in the mix. Same can be said for lots of A circuit trainers as well, but people will put up with it a bit longer for a big name.

Comment

I think if your goal is to show/have a winning show horse, you need a trainer for whom that is a priority. You need someone with the mass of clientelle so that you can get to shows. Sometimes geography is not your friend and you end up with someone less than stellar.

For me, hiring a trainer, I like to know who someone has worked with and learned from, and that the person continually educates themself. A stint with George Morris or Anne Kursinski or Denny Emerson impresses me far more than having won champion somewhere. I also like to know if they have relevant experience- as an owner of an OTTB trying to be made into a packer hunter, I'd rather have someone used to working with greenies and nervous novice riders than someone who has spent 25 years winning Grand Prixs on $750,000 horses.

That said- I think long term competitive success- where you consistently have top riders and top horses speaks positively of a program. If you can continually produce winners, you are doing something right. It's the trainers who once won the greens at Devon or once took a kid to the Maclays - and use that as their marketing device- that I am most leary of. You get a lot of people, particularly locally.... that get a lot of advertising mileage out of a green ribbon at Devon.

Comment

Do people completely discount the excellent riders, trainers, instructors, horsemen/women out there that (for various reasons) have not had extensive opportunities to show and therefore limited show records?

YES, people DO completely discount the excellent horses/riders/trainers that have no show record.

NO Money, No Recognition! That really is the bottom line - really, that's it. Sad but true. It was made this way by horse people, just escalting over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinsella View Post
                                    I also wouldn't send my horse to 90% of the trainers on the circuit. Some because I don't like the way they treat their horses, some because of the way they treat their clients, and most because of they way they are WAY out of my price range. I'd love to find one of those "undiscovered" gems out there to give my mare to, but alas, I don't have the time to search, so she'll continue to be very happy doing way less than she should be...

If you're in California, I know an undiscovered gem.
                                    http://img.skitch.com/20100717-q91i7...u2ub8k6b15.jpg

Comment

I know the pain of NOT having the money to show a lot...

I moved to MS to reopen a farm here, they used to have a full barn of boarders at around $4** a month, I have been here 6 months now and haven't had $hi_. I'm a decent rider and trainer (starting thru level 6/7 competition), only have my own horse now, so people have only seen me riding a "hand-full" horse. The economy here, is so bad, the high end barn, has lowered their prices to keep boarders. I can find nothing online to indicate this farm has a bad reputation, but not getting any follow thru, on website hits.
                                      How can a decent trainer, new to the area, and almost no funding get known? Even the local shows here are 3 hours or more away.
                                      I even tried putting on schooling shows, and can't get people to come.

And even if I did come across a Grand Prix horse, for example, to really care for that horse and they have a long life, you would only compete them once a month. So people looking for riders see you ONCE IN A WHILE, but see the BNR's on 3 or more horses EVERY WEEK. How can an up and coming compete with that?
                                      " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
                                      http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

In the H/J world showing is the goal, so of course those trainers out there with successful barns are the ones people notice, it is a community based on reputation and results. Of course there are some amazing trainers out there who don't show or do not have the show record, of course there are but with so many trainers to choose from and people wanting to show, most people who want to show are going to go to a trainer/barn that does? And you assertion that just because people have success showing means they result to gagetry is the other end of the pendulum you are trying to stop.

Sadly a picture is worth a thousand words, more than ever in our society and out of sight out of mind, if people don't know anything about you then how can you expect them to trust you or come find you? I agree it is a tough situation, not sure what the answer is, better marketing? Advertising? It is a business after all whether you want to teach at home or spend time on the road week after week, you have to run your business the best way to promote it and be successful.

Many riders are sad to leave trainers they have learned so much from, but if they want to show and there trainer wants to stay home and only teach then the programs are not compatible, not that no one wants to ride with that trainer because they don't show it is because they show they choose another trainer.
                                        "All life is precious"
                                        Sophie Scholl

Comment

Working...
                                        X