• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

May be moving to North Carolina....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May be moving to North Carolina....

...and I need help figuring out where!

I'm interviewing for a job within my company that might move us from the PNW to the North Carolina area....though I'm sure I'd have flexibility to live anywhere in the general vicinity (NC, SC, KY, etc.).

I started looking up farms for sale online, but quickly realized that I have absolutely no idea where to look!

I show on the h/j circuit primarily in the jumpers and would like to be within a reasonable distance from A/AA horseshows. Please note that my version of a "reasonable" distance may differ from many considering the fact that I drive out each day to shows that are 50+ miles and a ferry boat ride from where I live for the 6 days of each show (making it a 2+ hour commute each way). So I suppose I consider "reasonable" to mean within a couple of hours. Obviously I mentioned KY, so moving within a short drive of Lexington would be fabulous, but somehow I think that might be a little pricey? How about in the state of NC?

Any tips of areas to look? Areas to avoid? Pricey areas are okay, but we're certainly not unlimited in funds and plan to stay a pretty way from the million dollar mark.

So mainly I'm looking for "farm-y" areas with access to decent vets, horseshows, etc.

Help!

I live in eastern NC, Raleigh is about an hour away, GReensboro about two hours, S. pines also two hours. Plenty of shows in this area from pretty competitive local circuits, "C" shows (NCHJA rated) and "A" and "AA" shows year round. Plenty of good vets and we have the vet school at NCSU in Raleigh. ALthough Raleigh can get pricey (as can S. Pines!) Just a bit east, like I am and very "farmland" and laid back, better prices etc but still 4 lane access to almost anywhere. I like it down here. There are not as many good trainers in this area, but again just an hour or two and you have a choice of some pretty good ones, although not really "big name" H/J trainers (more big name event trainers in S.Pines)
    www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

PNW-I live in the Tryon area-it's Horse Central in N.C. We have a big public access trail system, fox hunting, shows all year, trainers on every corner(good ones!), good vet care (including a large animal surgery) and a great, friendly horsey community. Land is more pricy than it used to be, but there are deals to be had.

The weather is excellent. It does get hot in the summer, but we're close enough to the mountains that the mornings stay pleasant enough to get riding done., and the evenings always cool off.

All that said, I've never been anywhere more beautiful for horses than Lexington. I don't know what the equestrian community is like there, but just to ride around and gawk at the farms will take your breath away.

Comment

2nd Tryon!
        "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Comment

I moved from CA to Lexington 5 years ago and haven't regretted a second of it. Property values are relatively high in Fayette County(Lex.) but drop off quite a bit in neighboing counties.

KHP has A/AA h/j shows quite often in the summer (about half the summer schedule), and, with the new indoor arena and adjacent indoor barns opening, there will be a couple of h/j shows this winter.

If you're wondering about prices, the farm next to mine, with 20 or so acres and a custom-built log home, is for sale and listed at $650k.

Comment

Originally posted by PNWjumper View Post
            ...and I need help figuring out where!

I'm interviewing for a job within my company that might move us from the PNW to the North Carolina area....though I'm sure I'd have flexibility to live anywhere in the general vicinity (NC, SC, KY, etc.).

I started looking up farms for sale online, but quickly realized that I have absolutely no idea where to look!

I show on the h/j circuit primarily in the jumpers and would like to be within a reasonable distance from A/AA horseshows. Please note that my version of a "reasonable" distance may differ from many considering the fact that I drive out each day to shows that are 50+ miles and a ferry boat ride from where I live for the 6 days of each show (making it a 2+ hour commute each way). So I suppose I consider "reasonable" to mean within a couple of hours. Obviously I mentioned KY, so moving within a short drive of Lexington would be fabulous, but somehow I think that might be a little pricey? How about in the state of NC?

Any tips of areas to look? Areas to avoid? Pricey areas are okay, but we're certainly not unlimited in funds and plan to stay a pretty way from the million dollar mark.

So mainly I'm looking for "farm-y" areas with access to decent vets, horseshows, etc.

Help!
            Oh reeeeeeeeeally? This is an interesting development that made me smile!!!

We have family stationed at Ft. Bragg (Fayetteville)....and family in Charlottesville, VA, so we would definitely come visit if you do end up moving!

I know nothing about the horsey stuff in the area, so I can offer no help.....only excitement over the fact that you might be on this coast! Although, one of the girls I used to teach in Spokane moved to SC a few years back and may have some input/advice....she shows jumpers...I'll shoot her an email.

Comment

It's a great region- Tryon, Southern Pines, Camden, Aiken. You can't go wrong in those areas- just pick what you like in terms of geography. My choice would be Tryon, though I'd get my farm in someplace nearby like Gowensville or Landrum SC.I'd not turn down the chance at a farm in any of those though. Also, in Tryon they are building a new equestrian center- so you might get even more shows in your back yard!

Charlotte can be difficult- its an odd riding scene- I think a lot of the critcal mass gets floated out to Camden, Tryon and Southern Pines and leaves Charlotte a little wanting at times. It is fine for more local type shows though. I just remember growing up in Cleveland and having so many good trainers and barns... and then Charlotte- there's just not a lot to chose from.

Comment

Yea! PNWJumper! Come to Alpharetta,GA Its awesome for well everything, there are some beautiful farms for sale around here right nowtoo.
                We have Wills Park 5 miles from us, holds local and A rated shows and for jumpers they also have city League, if you are familar with City League. (Its a jumper league with mega $$$$ in prize money)
                GA International Horse Park in Conyers, where the 96 Oylimpic were held, now holds A;AA and local.
                Chateau Elan has A, AA,Local, then there's Brownland had A,AA 2 hour drive, Tyron, 2 hour drive, Akien is a couple of hours I thik, haven't been there yet.
                Then FL Ocala 6 hours, Jacksonville 6 hours
                Ms Gulf Coast
                PM if you'd like
                http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

PNWjumper,

I would heartily recommend the Raleigh area as great place to re-locate, and MacNair's Country Acres as a barn to consider. I am the Director of Country Acres, the hunter/jumper boarding/training/showing barn at MacNair's. We are just south of Raleigh. The Hunt Center, six miles from us, has many shows, including four "A" and four "AA" hunter/jumper shows. The North Carolina State Vet School, which provides superior care for horses, is also about six miles away. I would be happy to email you information about myself, our program and our facility. Our website is currently being re-designed but you can get an idea of what our farm looks like by going to our photo site: macnairscountryacres.shutterfly.com

If I can answer any questions for you or schedule a tour, please feel free to get in touch with me.
                  Thom Pollard
                  thom.pollard@macnairscountryacres.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far guys! And theinstigator, you'd BETTER come visit me if we move out there! I miss you!

It's funny as I look up farms and properties....I feel like I've been lied to my entire life. Up here anything 3 acres or bigger is considered a "farm." I'm looking at properties in NC, SC, and KY and laughing because THEY'RE ACTUAL FARMS! You can't find anything sitting on non-wooded 20+ acres for less than a million (and often MUCH higher) anywhere within a reasonable distance from Seattle. I just had no idea....

Thanks for the rec, Thom. I keep my horses at my house and have my own program for them, which I will continue when we move. I will be looking for a good dressage trainer (I have a fabulous one up here and she's the only person I take regular lessons from), and then aim to continue my regular clinics with Greg Best....which is bound to be easier on the east coast than up in my little corner up here. And my main criteria for "local" horseshows (meaning A/AA shows within easy driving distance) is that there's decent money in the AO Jumpers.

I was pretty ambivalent about the job opportunity until I started looking at farms in the areas recommended here. Now I WANT the job so I can move to "real" horse country

Comment

I second Raleigh as being a really nice place! My family has some lake property at Bugg's Lake over the border in Virginia - and we visit a couple of times per year. The ONLY bummer about NC is the ... SPIDERS omg. We went for a hayride last fall at one of my husband's uncles farm and there were HUGE RED SPIDERS hanging out in the trees. I was terrified as we drove underneath them!
                      * Sunny * Ella (2006 filly) * Tank (2008 colt)*

Comment

Is Virginia considered in the general vicinity? There are so many wonderful A shows in Virginia, plus a strong local circuit with excellent jumper divisions (hard to find!). The Charlottesville area is perfect to me -- easy driving to so many great A shows, esp. the VA Horse Center, my favorite place to show. Though not cheap by midwest standards, farms are VERY affordable when compared to PNW.

Comment

I hear you on the PNW prices. I'm from Virginia and have lived in NC. If you can make the same money there you will be so much better off. I live near Vancouver, BC and looked at a 'farm' the other night..3 acres and a horrible fixer upper rancher with falling down fencing. All for the small sum of 1.3 million!! I'm dying to move back to either NC or VA. I really like Landrum or Tryon. My mom is in Raleigh and loves it. I think you would love the access to the show scene there.
                          Fine Equine Art http://www.marcycriner.com

Comment

another vote for the tryon area .
                            I live just outside it in SC for the lower taxes but im still close enough to make any of the shows a quick commute.

Try looking in Landrum, Gowansville, campobello, inman for( spartanburg and greenville counties) sc and you can also try Polk County, ( mill spring, pea ridge green creek) and rutherford county (both north carolina) If you're going to need use of a major airport I suggest Rutherfordton co. or Spartanburg Co, both are about an hourish from Charlotte International.

Plus its near the farm house tack shop!! =)
                            if you do a visit, drop in there, they are really great about helping you figure out who to contact for real estate agents, and local information for land and boarding opportunities

Comment

• Original Poster

Ah yes, now that someone has mentioned it.....I do need to be relatively close to a major airport of some sort or another. So maybe within an hour or so? I don't think much about things like that in relation to the East Coast because everything is so much closer than on the West Coast anyway.

Is it bad that the only thing I care about moving close to is the horse stuff when the whole reason I might be moving is the job?

Comment

Oh.. the Carolinas are my home..

I kept horses in the Tryon area for years (in Landrum, SC, right at the base of the mountains ) and I met some of my best and most treasured friends there. Its a horse community of people who do things for each other in an old fashioned kind of way. I miss it terribly, even though my life in the midwest is super.

I know that theres a ton of awesomeness in the Raleigh/Durham area, as well. But oh how I long for Tryon sometimes!

As for driving, we showed mostly 2 or so hours away at most when I was there.. and there were lots of them that were "in the backyard" (A shows, local, whatever)

City League International was started by a trainer (and maybe some helpers) in the Tryon area and I think its not necessarily the biggest thing yet, it seems to be growing, and since you do the bigger jumper stuff, I figured it might be worth a mention because I hear the prize money is good.

Here's a link- http://www.cityleagueinternational.com/
                                Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
                                www.saradanielhaynes.com

Comment

Greenville/Spartanburg has their own airport (aptly named Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport) its small and I wouldnt take the word International too literally, but most of the flights there are connected in some way shape or form to Charlotte, Atlanta, or (oddly perhaps) Detroit.
                                  Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
                                  www.saradanielhaynes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny's Mom View Post
                                    My family has some lake property at Bugg's Lake over the border in Virginia
                                    I spent every weekend April - October for much of my childhood & teen age years camping there near the dam. I really miss those trips.

Comment

If you lived in Landrum, you could be at Charlotte Douglas Intl Airport in under an hour and a half. You can fly direct most anywhere in the US and they have a few direct Intl (London etc). It's an easy drive on an interstate. And you could shop at the Farm House every day. And be in Asheville for a nice dinner in a half hour.

FWIW, Landrum is an adorable town.

I want to move there. It's probably obvious.

Comment

I would go to NC before KY. The winters are much milder (excluding those horrible ice storms they get every year) and it's not that long of a haul to KHP or Conyers or the Virginia horse center from NC. My SIL and her family live in Greensboro. There are a lot of farms around there and it seems like a nice place to live.

Would be fun to have you on this side of the country!
                                        Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

Working...
                                        X