• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who else has gotten a horse/pony for Christmas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else has gotten a horse/pony for Christmas?

So, has anyone else gotten a horse for Christmas? Back in '02 I got my first horse as a Christmas present. It was a complete suprise and I was so excited! It was snowing and everything.

Anyone else have a story to share?

I got Mare two years ago, a combo birthday/Christmas gift. Now that I'm a grown-up, i'm not sure it really counts, but I thought it did
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

DD just got a pony for Thanksgiving, I am awful and there was NO way I could wait until Christmas , my secrete keeping skills are NOT that good!!!
      Kim
      If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

My neighbor gave us a pony for Christmas when I was seven.

Bonus points: He didn't ask my parents before he did this. He just put a bow on her halter, walked her over, and tied her to the hitching post in our corral. She was just a grade pony (half Appy, half POA, solid bay without a speck of white, striped hooves or a visible sclera on her) but she was the best Christmas present ever.
        Author Page
        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

I got my first horse in 2001 as my Christmas present. A little "gift certificate" was hidden in the pocket of a hoodie I got... I bawled my eyes out! Best gift ever!
          .:: a n d i ::.

Currently horseless and hating it!
          Missing two very special horses - Maddy & Perry

Comment

I'm getting one this year! Courtesy of my WONDERFUL husband (for saying yes) and our amazing Reynard Ridge. Took a lot of years, but I get my wish of a Pony for Christmas!

Comment

Christmas 1985, one half arabian 2 year old gelding (what were we thinking?!). I wish that I still had the card from my dad for him. While Dad is gone now, I still have Dandy, now aged 26!
              RIP Mydan Mydandy+
              RIP Barichello

Comment

Yes, my first horse I got in 1971 (boy am I old!) at Christmas. of course I was PRAYING for a horse, but Christmas morning came and went and we opened presents and alas no horse. But after breakfast, my mother says "Hey there is a present left behind the tree" and told me to climb under there and see who it was for. It was for me (of course!) I opened it and it as a halter, and on it was a tag that said"

"I am a halter, a halter for a horse, a horse named Star, Star is a fine horse, he lives at White Oaks, Mommy and Daddy are going to take you to see Star today because...."

and on the back:

"He is your horse!"

Oh my GOD I just cried and cried and then bugged the h*ll out of my parents to get in the car and go see him NOW! of course I had to wait til after Christmas dinner etc! I kept that little tag for many years and somewhere in the box of a million slides are photos of me on that day with him, in my minds eye I can still see them! Star lived with me all his life, finally having a cerebral hemmorage, well into his 20's in the late 80's. I put that poor horse thru HELL with all the things I made him do! LOL
                Last edited by shawneeAcres; Nov. 29, 2009, 08:51 PM.
                www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

DD got her curren horse last Christmas. Our trainer had made a trip to Florida last December and found him for us and we were in the process of vet checking and buying him. DD had already picked out a barn name for him, but she didn't know that the vet check came back good, so on Christmas morning when she looked in her stocking she found a tiny chestnut horse with a tag that said his name and that he would be coming from Florida soon!

Comment

I got my first horse for my 10th birthday (totally thought I had taken my last 3 lessons on the new lesson horse so I was VERY surprised). My parents gave my sister a pony for Christmas one year. We took pictures of the pony with a HUGE red velvet ribbon on his halter. We had the picture blown up and she opened the picture on Xmas day. I had tried the pony so she had never even seen him - she was super surprised. It was awesome.

Comment

I got a 15.1 Appendix for christmas when I was in 5th grade. My first horse and I couldn't have been happier

One of my friends got a horse for christmas oh about 7th or 8th grade. It was a horse she had been riding for a while after her fancy A circuit hunter went "crazy" and got sold. Well this christmas horse was an absolute nutcase. Not much scope and hot like a firecracker. He fractured his skull somehow and I didn't think he was 'right in the head. I guess it worked out for her but I wish she had gotten something nicer...but she seemed happy enough with him although she never showed again and ended up switching to western.

Comment

I got my boy as a xmas present 3 years ago. We had been horse shopping and found a couple we liked. I had really liked Roo though, great jumper, awesome to ride. Stuck between him and another horse, but I though my parents would shoot him down b/c of the price tag. The day before xmas my parents said we were going to a dog friendy restraunt. Went driving and I noticed we were heading to the barn. Pulled into the barn parking lot and I still had no clue. Thought it was a barn party or something, and when I went to go give my favorite lesson horse an apple, I saw Roo's stall with a big red bow on it. I was estatic
                        proud owner of a crazy dutch warmblood

Comment

I got my first horse 8 years ago. He was at the barn I was riding at and my parents told me he sold I cried and cried and cried. My parents didn't know I was so upset or else they would have told me sooner. But then a couple weeks later I overheard my Mom on the phone talking about him When we got to the barn he had a bow on his stall and a saddle outside it with a horse angel on top of it. Super cute.
                          No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                          For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                          www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

I got this one. Does it count?

A pony under the tree.
                            Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                            EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

oh my bogie, thats adorable!!!

I don't know if mine counts, I got a pony for Christmas when I was 9 or 10, but I never actually met the pony!!

I was a horse crazy kid taking lessons at a nearby stable. My non-horsey parents decided to buy me a pony for Christmas, not knowing anything they hired a broker and ended up finding a palomino arabx mare from way up north (I had a fascination with buckskins as a kid and they got as close as they could!), like Maine or something, and had her shipped down. They moved her into a stable, had a brass plaque made with her name and "owned by: xxx" underneath.

The gameplan was to bring me to the stable Christmas Day after brunch and I'd wander down with my carrots and see the pony mare and my name on the stall. Meanwhile, waiting under the tree for me were buckets and brushes and halters and blankets, and well everything.

WELL, Christmas Eve (and I remember this night vividly) my Mother sits me down and starts asking me some questions.... "Darling, would you like a pony?" well YEAH! "Do you realize that if you had a pony, your normal life would be over? Every day you'd have to go ride and groom and care for your pony after school, you couldn't ever go out with your friends or be involved in any school activities. Every Saturday and Sunday while your friends are going to the parks or beach, you'd be with your pony all day, bathing and brushing and exercising...." well, my Mom gave me this huge 5 minute speech on how I'd never be a normal kid again, I'd have no friends, no life, just me and the pony day in and day out for decades, how I'd get blisters on my hands from the grueling work, winters would be freezing.... etc, etc, she basically scared the dickens out of me! lol!

At the end of the speech she says "Now darling, are you *sure* you want a pony?" I was totally terrified at this point and mumbled "uhm, I don't know if I'm ready for a pony...."

GASP! My mom shuffled me to bed, my parents ran around getting all of the horsey stuff out from under the tree, my Dad rang up the original owner of the pony and told him to come get his horse, and my parents ran to Bradlee's all night sale and picked up some random toys and clothes to stick under the tree.

My mom never told me the story. Turns out it was the best thing because 2 years later my parents divorced and I would've had to have given up my beloved pony anyhow.

13 years ago, I start riding again as an adult. I fall in love with a buckskin mustang, and bought him the day after Christmas.

I take pictures of my new horse, bring them to my Mom, and thats when she tells me the Christmas Pony story, my whole life I never knew!
                              Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Thanks for taking me back to memory lane!

When I was nine, a new pony had come to the barn where I was taking lessons. I was chosen to "train" her - I felt very special. I had been riding her for about two months when my trainer told me she had been sold and that I had to say goodbye to her. I sadly gave her carrots and hugs and secretly wished she was mine.

A few days later, I saw my aunt's horse trailer coming down our long driveway. I couldn't understand why my aunt would be bringing her horses to our house. I ran outside to see what this was all about. Down goes the back ramp, and there she was: MY pony with a big red Christmas bow attached to her halter. I looked at my mom and asked, "Is she for me?" Mom said, "Merry Christmas!"

'Jolly' instantly became a member of our family whom we treasured until 2005 when she passed at 27 yrs old. There will never be another one like her!
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPg2TKh9n1w

Comment

OK shawnee - that made me cry. really. i am sitting at my desk with tears running down my cheeks.

Comment

Yep... my current horse! Though he wasn't a surprise (since I picked him out)... the fact that he was delivered right before Christmas was the surprise. Figured I'd have to wait until after the holidays since we did the PPE on Dec 22nd and was told he couldn't be shipped until after the holiday. But when I went to the barn on Christmas day, there he was!

And thanks to my hubby for paying for 1/2 of him as a gift. He says he bought the back half. LOL

And almost 4 years later, he's still mine.

Comment

I got my first horse for christmas in 2004. My parents bought the gelding I had leased for 2 years about a month before because his owner needed to sell him and kept it a secret until christmas. I kind of knew because we were moving about 9 hours away and I had told them didn't want to leave him, but still the best present ever.

Comment

I got my first horse for Christmas when I was 11. I think it was actually a few days before Christmas. We always used to decorate the stalls of our favorite horses for Christmas. Everyone told me to go take a look at the decorations on his stall. I was pissed at first because I thought someone else decorated the stall of my favorite horse! HAHA. Then I noticed the card on his stall said he was to me from Santa. He was 3 and bucked me off every chance he got I still have the horse at 16 and he is still a riot. He taught me a LOT.

Comment

Working...
                                        X