• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What Saddles Do the Top hunter and Jumper Riders Ride In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Saddles Do the Top hunter and Jumper Riders Ride In?

After reading the Tad Coffin thread where the point was made about what top riders use them. It made me think about what saddles do the top riders use? It is frequently hard to see what it is they are sitting in but I think it is rather an interesting question. The only one I have to add is I am pretty sure Beth Underhill rides in Antares.

I'd say the top brands are Antares, Hermes, CWD, County, Devoucoux, Beval (Butet), Prestige, Stackhouse, and probably a few others I am forgetting.
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

the Pessoa!

I'd say the top brands are Antares, Hermes, CWD, County, Devoucoux, Beval (Butet), Prestige, Stackhouse, and probably a few others I am forgetting.

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

Top riders often ride in whatever saddle the company that sponsors them offers. Doesn't mean they don't like them, but most don't care much one way or the other and could as easily ride in an Antares or a CWD or whatever. The reps from those companies provide whatever sort of options the rider prefers and most will give a discount or bonus of sorts for each sale they make to the rider's clients that purchase based on their recommendation.
        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Of the top of my head: Antares, Hermes, CWD, Devoucoux, Butet, Prestige, Delgrange and probably a few others I am forgetting.

I have never heard of a Stackhouse
          When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Comment

Stackhouse is a very eventer-ish brand. Gaining popularity with the tall male jumper riders though.
            -CJS

Comment

Yup, they ride in the saddles that sponsors give them. If those saddles fit them and the horse well, they'll ride in those puppies at home, too.

But the pros ride in what works for them. But I can't imagine what that has to do with what anyone else rides in. The geometry of their body determines what they like; yours will do the same. Remember, however, that pros differ from ammies to two important respects: They tend to be fitter than we are (but also have more milage on their body), and ride tougher horses. Both of those things determine saddle choice as well as their perception of a saddle's balance.

And don't forget that even the unsponsored riders get deals from saddlers. If you walk into a barn full of Devoucoux saddles, for example, it may not mean that that saddles is the very best for you.
              The armchair saddler
              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Almost the whole US Olympic team rode in CWDs. Apparently, Mclain refuses to ride in anything else...just what I heard through the grapevine

Comment

If this is a pro who is riding *my* horse around the ring, s/he is using my saddle that has been fitted to that horse.
                  The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                  Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                  Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                  The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Do you go looking for pros that are your size and shape? You can't pick a professional based on whether or not they're going to fit in your saddle. They're going to bring their own that they feel comfortable in, unless yours is of similar size and style.

Comment

Originally posted by CBoylen View Post
                      Do you go looking for pros that are your size and shape? You can't pick a professional based on whether or not they're going to fit in your saddle. They're going to bring their own that they feel comfortable in, unless yours is of similar size and style.
                      First of all, I very rarely have pros ride my horses.

Secondly, I ride in 17.5-ish saddles, which is pretty standard. They approximately fit most people.

Thirdly, saddle fit is important to me. I do not believe that one medium tree will fit most horses. For this reason I own multiple saddles that are different widths and different shapes. They are not interchangeable on different horses. I notice when the fit is gappy under the tree points, when the panels aren't the same angle as the back, when the saddle simply wasn't designed for a high withered horse, etc.

Surely if people routinely expect horses to "just deal" with whatever saddle that approximately fits (or fits TRAGICALLY as is often visible from 50 yards away in the schooling area), I can put the horse first for a change and expect a rider to "just deal."

So the fit is a little off.
                      Eh, you can deal.

Or the riders can, of course, only go looking to ride horses that are their saddle's size and shape rather than blithely expecting every horse on the planet to put up with sub par saddle fit. Which is, btw, what every person who puts the same saddle on every single horse they ride is doing.

Obviously if their saddle happens to fit well they can go right ahead, but if somebody's saddle does not fit my horse, and they refuse to ride in something that does, they will not be riding my horse.
                      Last edited by meupatdoes; Nov. 29, 2009, 12:45 PM.
                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I'm fussy about saddle fit, too. I know how to fit horses pretty well, and I can usually predict how much damage I'll do by riding a horse in an ill-fitting saddle. I also know how to help fix minor damage I do.

That having been said, I do think most horses with undamaged backs can cope with one division worth of riding in a sort-of-wrong saddle at a show.

But the original point of the thread was about how much merit anyone ought to place in what another person chooses as their saddle of choice. Unless you do, in fact, pick your pro by judging how similar their body type is to yours.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

stackhouse FYI

http://www.stackhousesaddles.com/stackhousesaddle.html

Comment

some of you are getting off the track here. I think the poster is just looking for a few brand names, without all the hyperbole about bad saddle fit, my trainer will ride my horse in whatever I say, etc.

how about let's have the thread discuss the pros and cons of the different ones people have had experience with as well as ones that you definitely know a top rider uses. forget all this stuff about bad saddle fit, etc. Everyone knows that.
                            Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you feather river.....my interest was in what big name people ride in what saddles. I was sort of thinking what merits each big name saddle offers or why they use that saddle but I guess frequently a free saddle may be the motivation....not quality, balance, how the saddle positions the rider. There are alot of big name saddles and selecting one is difficult but knowing if the saddle one is considering is in actual competition with a big name rider would be interesting to know. If so many are using a free saddle the maker is not really getting much bang for the buck if the information just stays in the BNT barn. For instance what make is Tommy Serio's saddle, or what saddle was on Rumba when he won the Hunter Derby?

Comment

Originally posted by Treasmare2 View Post
                                Thank you feather river.....my interest was in what big name people ride in what saddles. I was sort of thinking what merits each big name saddle offers or why they use that saddle but I guess frequently a free saddle may be the motivation....not quality, balance, how the saddle positions the rider. There are alot of big name saddles and selecting one is difficult but knowing if the saddle one is considering is in actual competition with a big name rider would be interesting to know. If so many are using a free saddle the maker is not really getting much bang for the buck if the information just stays in the BNT barn. For instance what make is Tommy Serio's saddle, or what saddle was on Rumba when he won the Hunter Derby?
                                I believe John French (who rode Rumba to the win in the Derby) is sponsored by Devoucoux.

Most of the higher end saddles include custom fitting - so the balance, fit etc is adjusted to suit the rider/horse. So the saddle that sits on Rumba might be lovely, but totally different from a Devoucoux purchased for someone else (or someone else's horse.) The "endorsement" such as it is, is more about quality and service than it is about a specific product.

The best way to select a saddle, IMO, is to try a bazillion of them and see what suits you and your horse. I've had most of the high end stuff - Devoucoux, Antares, TC, etc. I currently ride in a Butet, which is more or less an off the rack saddle - you can choose the seat (flat or deep) the flap length, etc, but it's not one of a kind. I prefer it to the custom Antares and Devoucoux saddles I previously purchased for this particular horse. Antares was great to work with and tried hard to come up with a solution for me (although they ultimately failed, they did cheerfully refund my $$$) while Devoucoux was an absolute nightmare to deal with.

If you are in the market for a new saddle, try to find somewhere where you can find a bunch of different brands, sizes and styles. The mobile vendors at big shows are often great for this, as they tend to have a wide variety on hand. Happy shopping!
                                We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                -PaulaEdwina

Comment

For instance what make is Tommy Serio's saddle
                                  Tommy rides in Richard Castelows. They're specific to what he wants though, not exactly the same as other RC saddles.

Comment

Originally posted by CBoylen View Post
                                    Tommy rides in Richard Castelows. They're specific to what he wants though, not exactly the same as other RC saddles.
                                    I drool everytime I see or ride in an RC. I am so in love. Its almost an affair with my CWD. Haha but I do love my CWD. I didn't pick it because the big guys were riding in it, I picked it because it fit me the best, offered what I wanted for myself the best and it only costed $500 if I were to get a new horse to have new panels put on. I had the best balance for me, least amount of bulk, blocks in the right places, and I heard great things about their customer service(which all turned out to be true when I thought I was haivng a few problems with the saddle).

Comment

Megan Edrick rides in CWD, she rides for Don Stewart.

I just bought a Devouscous and love it, I bought a lamicil pad that's great for fitting the multitude of horses I ride. Love the lamicil pad!!

If that doesn't work however I have a County that is very different and fits also of horses as well with varying the pad.

As far as Pros riding in your not their saddle, I haven't come across a pro that hasn't brought their saddle when thay have come to ride my horses.
                                      I just have it put on my horse check it repad if necessary and then he's off.
                                      http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

Albert Zoer, Harry Smolders, Rolf Goran Bengtsson, Kevin Staut, Steve Guerdat and McLain Ward are all riding in CWD saddles...
                                        6 out of the 12 world's best jumper riders (current FEI ranking list)!!! Not to mention Will Simpson, Louise Serio, Nick Karazissis, Kent Farrington and many others....

Some of them have been with CWD for many years, long before they even became famous, like Rolf or McLain. Some recently joined the team, like Albert... I'm so excited because I just looooove Okidoki

Meredith rides in Prestige (I believe she gets paid in addition to getting free saddles to use though), others ride in Antares or Devoucoux...

Of course top riders get sponsored, but since they would get free saddles from any brand, they still get to pick which brand they ride in.... and even though they could pick the most expensive ones like Hermes, Tad Coffin or Butet, that almost never happens!

Amandine

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

Working...
                                        X