• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Will the "kicker, beware" red tail ribbon hurt our placing in the hack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the "kicker, beware" red tail ribbon hurt our placing in the hack?

I'll start off by saying I'm an occasional visitor here from the Eventing forum...so my knowledge of all things hunter-related is pretty rusty and from back in the dark ages...but I have a horse who's coming back from an injury and needs to get out and about this winter - so we're planning to spend some time in the H/J world. Although he's a great event horse, he's much more suited to the hunter ring than jumpers (for many reasons...most of which are unrelated to my question.)

He's a lovely horse and quite a nice mover with a big step (he's 18h, so he'd better have a big step, right?)...but he's been known to kick on occasion if someone comes right up on his butt, especially in upwards transitions to the canter. I'm planning to be aware of where I am in the ring during flat classes...but I feel like he may warrant a red tail ribbon. Have people found that this negatively affects your placings in the hack?
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I've never had a kicker so I can't say it from personal experience but from what i've watched they seem to have been placed fairly. If your just looking to get out and some experience I wouldn't worry about it really and just show him with the ribbon.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

since a big part of the under saddle is manners I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a big plus.
      "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Comment

I have never heard that a red ribbon meant bad manners and would affect your placings. Have you spoken with judges who mention marking down for this or is this your guess?
        http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

My vote would be it will be alot worse from a placing stand point if your horse tries to kick the head off the horse behind it, then to put a red ribbon it its tail.

Comment

The ribbon itself may not impact your placing, but people being who they are, someone will certainly ride up on you, and when your horse does kick, that WILL end your chances.
            Laurie

Comment

Put the ribbon in his tail.

It may not help your chances, but it would be very rude and irresponsible to have another horse or rider get kicked because of your desire for a better ribbon.

Comment

More annoying--when the person who rudely rides up your butt (red ribbon or not) wins the class!!
                Click here for the Roxie blog!

Comment

I always thought when hacking a (good moving) kicker you DON"T put a red ribbon it its tail, so others can't see it and creep too close hoping your horse kicks??

Just pay attention.
                  When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Comment

I would think that as long as your horse does not actually kick, threaten to kick or otherwise go around the ring while expressing an unpleasant disposition than you should be fine.

Comment

I don't think this is even done any more. I've seen it done, badly, at IHSA shows (10 years ago). Don't advertise. keep to yourself, and if someone gets to close, say "he kicks" over your shoulder. Haven't seen ribbons in tails.... ever at a rated, reputable show. If he's really a bad one, why would you put him in a flat class any way?

Comment

I showed my mare with a red ribbon this summer, and we placed. Even got a first in one class! However it was a walk/trot class in a local saddle club show so take that with a grain (or five) of salt

Comment

I have permanent discoloration, scaring and barely any feeling on my right leg below my knee from getting kicked at a horse show 8 years ago. Horse didn't have a ribbon in his tail and I didn't even get that close (prob would have hurt less if he didn't have such a huge firing range) but he nailed me. If you have a known kicker, I feel like its only fair to warn others in the ring with you regardless of how it may affect your placings.
                          "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think you should put a ribbon on his tale. While it would be nice to place well (and I'm not saying that it will or not effect your placing), but if you know he's a kicker, then it's the responsible and moral thing to do. Yes, there may be "those" types of people who will ride up behind you just to have you place lower, but I would like to think that people who "play by the rules" still exist. Accidents happen, but this way others will be aware of a potential problem and try to steer clear of you if they can.

Comment

if he's really a major kicker then don't hack. too risky to other riders and horses imho. And I agree with the observations of Glorybee that I haven't seen this done in years and years at rated shows. Unrated is a different story.
                              "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Comment

I have seen this done at rated shows and feel that it is extremely irresponsible NOT to do so. In fact there are a couple very prominent GP horses I have seen in the last couple years w/ a red ribbon in the tail. I can't remember but I think one belonged to Laura Kraut? Not sure.

Also, what kind of complete retard would purposefully ride up on a horse with a red ribbon to get the horse to kick? Obviously a person more worried about a ribbon then their own and their horse's well-being.

I would certainly use it if you intend to hack, and since you aren't exactly after points, just want to get him back in the ring, who cares if it affects his placings? It's still good experience.
                                Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

I really hate the fact that "the look" takes precedence over all else in the show ring, to the point that people would gasp in horror if someone even -suggested- they put a red ribbon in their kicker's tail, because it would ruin "the look."

And that idiotic attitude, ladies and gentlemen, leads to situations like what happened to Jersey Fresh.

I don't understand the disconnect that goes on between "zomg SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!!11eleventy!!," the drugging childrens' ponies for lessons at home just so they'll be quieter and safer... and the show ring, when suddenly no one thinks about anything other than that 75-cent ribbon (and maybe a $2 mug or some candles or a picture frame or what-have-you, yay!). As long as this is classed as an "other people's problem," your precious child whose pony you medicate could be injured.

Anyway. Rant over! OP, I have the utmost respect for you for taking the time to consider this issue. If I were you, I would absolutely use a red ribbon - but yes, I'm bitter enough to believe that it will probably hurt your chances if you do so. It's just not the done thing. I've never seen one used in a current, rated show (despite personally knowing several horses who DEFINITELY do kick, and go to the majority of the shows on this circuit - somehow, the rationale seems to be, "Oh, everyone knows my horse, because it's always the same people at the shows and we all know each other! They just know to keep away, so it's okay! Tee-hee, Poopsie's so cute and naughty!").

Comment

Definitely add the ribbon! Your eventer isn't competing for a birth in the Hack Olympics, so the ribbons can't be as important to you as is someone else's knee cap staying in one piece.

Oh wait, I see some nearby stumps I'd like to climb up on.

First, you kicker-owners-- train your beasts! I know they can be quick or kick unpredictably from fear, but I think they can be taught to leave their cotton pickin' feet on the ground in most situations. Even kickers usually use body language to warn the offender that they are armed.

Second, when a judge can choose between a good-moving but safe horse (and the "He's so incorrigibly bad that all I can do is warn you about it" is unsafe) and the great-moving dangerous sort, I think he or she *should* pin the horse less likely to hurt someone.

The whole hunter division was built to reward the horse you'd ride slightly drunk on a Sunday over uneven terrain in company. It's not about pretty so much as safety. The good-moving horse is a bonus because he is an efficient and comfortably traveller, but fox hunting is dangerous, so the good jump, quiet, tractable personality and other features were honest-to-God about keeping everyone safe.
                                    The armchair saddler
                                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

It would be careless and irresponsible NOT to put a red ribbon in his tail. If your horse is not uncontrolable, then it's certainly ridiculous to avoid the hack all together. If your horse has a pleasant demeanor, great mover, big presence, then I can't imagine how a ribbon in his tail is going to affect his placings.
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPg2TKh9n1w

Comment

Have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, put the ribbon in if you know he will kick if he gets crowded. It should not hurt in anything above the 2' beginner levels in small classes where safety trumps anything else.

On the other hand, as a long time exhibitor...and you will not like this...do NOT put responsibilty for your problems with your horse on me. Especially in big classes or crowded warm up rings. I can steer and my horse is well broke but I can get crowded into you by somebody else or you can circle or cut the ring and end up smack in front of me-and then turn and tell me it kicks and to stay away.

Or expect me to perfom all kinds of advanced manuevers to get away from you with noplace to go in a crowded ring just because you have that red ribbon.

If you have a known kicker, it is your responsibility to keep it out of situations like big flat classes in small rings or crowded warm up rings with some working over warm up jumps. The ribbon does not relieve you of that responsibility or liability if somebody is kicked by your known kicker.

Honestly, get the horse more used to close quarters by working with others at home. Stay out of crowded classes with narrow paths between jump standards and the rail.

As I get older, I find I am less forgiving of known misbehavior in horses that end up in crowded show rings. Seen too many wrecks and bad injuries...usually the injured did nothing to cause them other then being forced too close by ring traffic.

In my wreck, I was along on the long side of the rail at the canter with a horse about 2 lengths behind me. Horse spooked on the opposite side and sent another horse cutting across the ring for room...with a red ribbon. She came alongside me with nose at about the girth, that horse sucked back and kicked the crap out of the horse behind me. I got slammed into the indoor ring wall as the kicker sort of fell sideways to get a better aim. That kicker did end up slamming into a jump standard being too concerned with kicking and not watching where they were going.

Whole thing was basically nobody's fault, the kicker had no room when cut off by the spooker and had to cut the ring. Victim was a good distance behind me, I was fine and bothering nobody. But look what happened-3 vet bills. If that kicker had not been in the mix? Nothing would have happened. You cannot assume the situation will not provoke bad manners in a show ring and if you know they exsist?
                                        Last edited by findeight; Nov. 12, 2009, 12:57 PM.
                                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X