• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

3' Eq Horses in the Hunter ring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3' Eq Horses in the Hunter ring

A trainer friend of mine is passing a student off to me to take up the levels. He specializes in local, low level hunters and she's ready to move out of the Children's. I need something for her that will be competitive in the Juniors but not THE fanciest number. Ideally it would be a horse that she could do part of next year in the Children's with, and then move up when she's really comfortable.

Since I don't have any kids showing in the 3' now (I have ponies and juniors) I decided to go scope out the Children's and Adult hunter classes tuesday night @ WIHS because I've picked up two great 3'6" horses that were "slumming it" in these divisions in the last 3 years. Of the 60 horses competing, I saw maybe 20 real hunter type horses, 10 of which were high quality.

Most of the kids and a good number of the adults were on equitation type horses with dressagey movement and a really flat jump. Lots of horses on the bit, lots of heavy contact. I even saw a bunch of pelhams. Overall I was just really disappointed in almost everything I saw. (There was one really nice chestnut in the adults who was the only horse to score 83's and an 84 I think)

It got me thinking, is the "dumbed down" riding getting so bad that trainers need to put their kids on these flat jumping, big strided horses so that they can get around? Is it that the economy is forcing kids that in the past would have two separate mounts for hunters and eq to have one double duty horse? Are traditional hunter values - great movement, nice round jump, light contact, etc becoming non-important in the lower levels? Is there a shortage of quality hunter horses for this level?

When I was doing the children's hunters everyone rode hunter type horses that just didn't have the jump or step or build for the 3'6". Sometimes you'd see some eq horses that were using it as a warm up.

Those of you that have students, children, friends, or are yourselves competing in the 3' hunters - what are you seeing in your area?

I expect that lots of horses are just doing double duty as a hunter and an eq horse. I live up in Canada and have often seen horses doing both. Sometimes as a warmup before the eq classes have started and sometimes just because the family can only afford one horse.

At the 3' level, I don't really have a problem with it.
    Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
    Like us on Facebook!

Comment

It's only 3'. Most of the 3-footers here are double duty horses. Once again; it's only 3' -- i would laugh at anyone who REALLY thinks they should just buy another horse for 3' if both were not capable of doing 3'6" as their main job.

actually, i know a (VERY deep pocketed) girl who did that. her reasoning was that she wants to do the eq and the hunters and because she goes to all big shows, it *would* be too much for one horse--that's true enough. but to give her the credit, she moved up to 3'6" with both fairly quickly, and does have good eq on both mounts. her hunter is very typey, and her eq horse is very eq-type.

anyway, a good horse is a good horse. any 3' eq horse should be able to cross over into the hunters at the same height without any difficulty--they might not place as well because of their movement, but they still capable of putting together an equally nice course.

plus, most horses are not cracking their backs over 3', be it hunter or eq horse
      (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

My eq horse pulled double duty as a junior hunter a couple of times. Some people just can't afford separate mounts, even at the 3'6". My flat jumping, dressage moving, went in a pelham equitation horse even qualified for junior hunter finals. Not many horses jump like Rumba, and there is much more to a good high scoring hunter round than a round jump.

As a side note, plenty of hunters go in pelhams, at the 3'6" and beyond. They're more traditional than d-rings anyway.
        "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
        -George Morris

Comment

At the three foot level, most people are not looking for the same type of horse you'd purchase for the working ring (or, these days, a hunter derby) unless they are planning to move up, like your new rider.

Suitability for a child or typical adult is rewarded as much as quality most of the time in the childrens or adult rings. Thus you see a big focus on manners, tractability, and a consistent, accurate trip with a decent jumping style in these divisions... and that is usually enough to get good prizes. Of course, if there is a rider or two with both a beautiful, accurate ride AND a gorgeous mover with a stunning bascule, well, that's your winner/champion, but you don't see them every weekend, at least not in my area.
          We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

JinxyFish313:

"Are traditional hunter values - great movement, nice round jump, light contact, etc becoming non-important in the lower levels? Is there a shortage of quality hunter horses for this level?

When I was doing the children's hunters everyone rode hunter type horses that just didn't have the jump or step or build for the 3'6". Sometimes you'd see some eq horses that were using it as a warm up."

I'd guess that these not-fancy moving, hard-wared-up-in-the-face work horses are what people can afford. It may not be that no one "values" the beautiful hunter who hit the ground that way at all!
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

From my limited (a LONG time ago) experience, I think the 3' classes (Children's and AAs), even at the A shows CAN be won by horses that aren't super fancy by simply a really good ride. To win at 3'6", you, generally, need the really fancy horse. I was at WIHS for the Children's and Adult Hunter finals and thought the horses there were all nice quality, but not necessarily fancy ones that would win in the "big" company, but then again, they aren't showing in those classes. My friend won a ribbon and she rode nice courses on a very pretty horse, that moves well, but doesn't always jump fabulous. She probably would have won or been very close on a REALLY fancy horse with her rides. She wins a lot at the A shows in the 3'.

Comment

I have seen some pretty fancy horses at the 3' level, but like others have said that first you need to have a good round and sometimes those not so fancy ones are easier to get that done. I think I do see the fancy fancy horses at the 3' more in the adults than the childrens. It is also sometimes one of those things that goes in waves for a few years there are some very very nice horses and 20 in older childrens and only 8 so so horses in the youngers then all the sudden it flips around.

I do know that they do want a more quiet round at the 3' and sometimes the ones that jump better can be a little more expressive. It just depends on the judge too. I know plenty of people who still want a good jumping horse at 3'.
                http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

Don't forget that the horses at the Childrens and Adult classes at Washington are not necessarily the very best ones out there in those divisions. They're the best of those who elect to qualify and enter those classes at that particular show.

No doubt there are some very nice horses there, but not everybody cares to chase points to qualify, or to show at that venue.

If you watch the Adult hunter divisions at WEF, for example, many of those horses are EXTREMELY fancy. The fanciest horse might not always win, since there is always the pilot error factor, but don't think for one minute there aren't plenty of very high quality animals out there doing the 3' divisions, whether or not they show at Washington.

Comment

I just thought I would add, in several judging clinics I have attended, judges have said that in Children's Hunter classes and Adult Amateur classes, they take into account the reliability and the appropriateness of the horse for the rider nearly as much as 'fancyness' and movement. Obviously the fanciest horse will win, but a not so fancy horse that is really reliable and obviously a suitable mount for the rider will still pin.
                    Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                    Like us on Facebook!

Comment

And to do well in those classes at that venue, the horses really need to be SERIOUSLY reliable! They haven't been shown in the ring or schooled by a professional in the ring beforehand. It is their one and only trip (two if they make the cutoff). I thought all those horses and riders were just amazing to get around! What a huge, scary ordeal! They schooled at about 4AM and showed at 9-10PM! I don't know how the riders managed to survive the whole thing, especially if they were fresh off Harrisburg. My hat is off to all of them!
                      One thing I did notice about the Finals classes at WIHS was that very many of the riders seemed to ride their horses forward down the diagonal and the 4 to 2 on the outside, when they looked like they should have ridden easy, so many of them were at least a bit tight jumping out of the lines.

Comment

My horse served double duty in the 3' Adult divisions and we are now doing AOs and 1st Year Greens.

I think some of these equitation type horses are just fancier looking, and people associate fancier with better. Not always the case.
                        CLIPclop Bodyclipping by Morgan
                        Serving North GA with high quality clips.
                        --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
                        --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
                          Don't forget that the horses at the Childrens and Adult classes at Washington are not necessarily the very best ones out there in those divisions. They're the best of those who elect to qualify and enter those classes at that particular show.

No doubt there are some very nice horses there, but not everybody cares to chase points to qualify, or to show at that venue.

If you watch the Adult hunter divisions at WEF, for example, many of those horses are EXTREMELY fancy. The fanciest horse might not always win, since there is always the pilot error factor, but don't think for one minute there aren't plenty of very high quality animals out there doing the 3' divisions, whether or not they show at Washington.
                          Agreed, I showed there and I was suprised about the lack of the highest quality horses there, I was used to showing against harder horses then the ones I showed against there. Id say miracle was one of the fanciest ones there (Love that mare). My horse on the other hand decided to pull his first rail of the year.

Anyways my guy isnt the fanciest one out there, but he is usually the winner or top three at AA shows if i manage not to truly mess up anything (saratoga, cap challenge, traverse city and wef). He did well in the second years and stuff and he jumps pretty well and mooves nice enough to pin in all his hacks. Hes a true hunter and I mean could fake an eq horse but hed still go around with his head too low for that stuff. Hes a prefect 3' horse

Comment

• Original Poster

So what most of you are saying is that hunter type is not valued enough to put it ahead of getting kids in as many classes as possible without buying another horse and the fact that today's 3' riders are more suited to the eq type. Bleh. It didn't use to be that way, at least not where I'm from. How I miss living on long island.

Comment

Realistically, if you truly needed two horses to compete in the Childrens and the 3' eq, you would have very few people doing those divisions. Horses and showing are already ridiculously expensive...adding another horse (plus board and expenses) would only further limit showing to the people with really deep pockets.

I really can't support anyone seriously lamenting the fact that a three-foot kid who wants to play in both rings only needs ONE horse.

Comment

I'm sorry, I guess I missed the memo saying only rich kids who can afford two horses should be allowed to show in more than one division.

Comment

What about the possibility that they're using their jumper as an eq horse? I know I used my jumper mare for Eq and she wasn't the cutest hunter, usually near the bottom of the order on the rare occasion we did hunters as a warm up. She was a good girl for Eq and I don't see why I would have needed to buy a hunter since I didn't actually want to show hunters.

I ended up retiring her and leasing a hunter and a jumper. They took turns putting me in the Eq ring. Of course the jumper did end up being a great hunter as he matured out of his green stage and graced the hunter ring as well. I don't see why one horse can't do ALL THREE. (although I would hesitate to enter all three during a single show, he might get worn out).

*These weren't the fanciest, most expensive lease horses and I had a two-for-one deal since both were sale horses and trainer needed someone to get them noticed and show experience.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh I'm not saying I think everyone should have two horses. I never had more than one at a time and did all of my 3' equitation on my large children's hunter pony (and pinned well). When I had a nice Children's horse I used him in the jumpers too.

All I'm saying is the kind and quality of horse I saw last week was NOT what it was when I was showing in it, and it made me wonder what the deal is since you'd expect the horses in a $10k class @ Washington to be the cream of the crop.

Comment

My DD has a horse that she did the 3' Children's hunters on this year as well as 3' and 3'3" medals at the A and AA shows on. The horse is really a 3'6" Junior Hunter, but this was DD's first year on him and she was not ready to do the 3'6".

Many kids in our area use their 3' Children's horses for both hunters and eq. My DD is stepping up to Junior hunters next season and will also use her horse for some of the 3'6" medals. Her horse is very much the lovely hunter you are talking about, but we can not afford two horses so DD will have to make him work for the eq classes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JinxyFish313 View Post
                                        Oh I'm not saying I think everyone should have two horses. I never had more than one at a time and did all of my 3' equitation on my large children's hunter pony (and pinned well). When I had a nice Children's horse I used him in the jumpers too.

All I'm saying is the kind and quality of horse I saw last week was NOT what it was when I was showing in it, and it made me wonder what the deal is since you'd expect the horses in a $10k class @ Washington to be the cream of the crop.
                                        I think you have to remember that's its the Children's division. The point (nowadays, anyway) is to reward a consistant, easy ride that an intermediate child can enjoy. It isn't about showing off a backcracking, brilliant hunter. The superfancy horses have their place in the junior ring.

And I don't think WIHS is necessarily the best place to be looking at the Children's horses. Certainly they're all nice horses, but just looking at the qualifying lists, a lot of the horses weren't even in the top ten in their zone. So while they are nice horses, I wouldn't necessarily say that the class at WIHS represented the best Children's Hunters in the country.

Comment

Working...
                                        X