• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Correct stirrup length: GM vs. Steinkraus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct stirrup length: GM vs. Steinkraus

Edited: I apparently am not allowed to say '"trivial" or "mundane"...how about "the usual?"

In any case, in hopes of stimulating some interesting discussion (other than "the usual") here on this forum, I hereby relay two differing points of view on stirrup length. The first POV will be that of George Morris, as stated in "Jumping Clinic Classics: Lots to Like" found at www.equisearch.com:

"This picture of an excellent rider is obscured slightly by the jump wing. Still, it's clear from her ankle, knee and hip angles that the stirrups are the correct length: For a fence at or below three-six, the stirrup should hit the bottom of the ankle bone; over higher fences, the middle of the ankle bone."

Steinkraus addresses correct stirrup length as well in his book Reflections on Riding and Jumping, first edition, p. 29-30:

"...you can afford to ride pretty long for ordinary work on the flat or for elementary dressage, with the tread of the stirrup level with a point just below the ankle bone when your legs are fully extended. Some serious dressage riders ride even longer, but to my eye they seem to be fishing for their stirrups much of the time. For ordinary hunter riding and jumping small fences, I come up a hole or two, so that the stirrup tread falls somewhere between the middle and the top of my ankle bone. For bigger fences, I come up yet another hole or two; and for puissance fences, one or two on top of that, because there's nothing worse than a feeling of insecurity on a horse who's making the maximum effort that very big fences require."

In my experience, I agree with Steinkraus. I fully believe riders today regardless of level tend to ride with a longer stirrup than the height of fence should dictate, which may seem like a trivial detail at first thought, but then upon reflection makes sense as to why we see more daylight between seat and saddle over fences, as well as more errors of the upper body, and too little use of the automatic release. (A rider with too long a stirrup will NEED to support the upper body with a crest release, and with too long a stirrup the foundational balance required to use the following hand is absent....experiment at home with this as I have and you will see...or at least it will make for more stimulating discussion!) On a side note, I also think that the trend of flat-jumping equitation horses murdered any possibility of seeing (much less teaching) the following hand...if the horse fails to bascule, there is no forward/down action of the neck to FOLLOW, and therefore no logical reason for using it, thus the current dominance of the crest release. I think if we saw a resurgence (and I suspect we are starting to) of equitation riders riding rounder-jumping horses, we will see the resurgence of the following hand. People are wanting to see and teach it...it just takes a truly round jumper to teach/use it well, round from nose to tail over the fence.

Another side note: I think the teaching of "heels down" and "deep heel" a la GM and followers versus Steinkraus' "pull the toes up" "toes slightly higher than heel" also has a lot to do with what we are seeing these days. Food for thought!

Enough of my musings...anyone else care to comment?
    Last edited by LudgerFan; Oct. 13, 2009, 04:29 PM.

I am by far an expert, BUT right now as my daughters are working on the flat their stirrups hit at the bottom of their ankle bone, we do NOT move them to trot poles or jump small ( less than 2') fences , when they jump bigger we raise them one hole.
    If you remember there was a huge discussion on this right after pony finals, from what I have seen this year at the bigger shows many kids could benefit from raising their stirrups a hole or two over fences, JMHO of course!!! A good base of support with weight in the heel over fences is VERY easy to spot, it results in a kid who is out of the saddle just enough and in a kid who is able to ride WITH the pony instead of ahead of or behind the ponies motion! I personally think this is one of the hardest "basics" to teach younger kids!! Again JMO< but based on what I have encountered over the past 10 mos.
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

In my own, limited and elementary opinion, I'd rather see a rider with a slightly too short stirrup than a slightly too long. The base of support is better, the heel can be dropped easier, thus allowing the weight to be where it belongs.

However, reading these two passages (I've read the GM book, but not the WS one) it would seem that the two are referencing different styles of riding. Before you get your hackles up, I TRULY believe that good equitation is paramount as the basis of all, regardless of if you're hopping over small cross rails, riding a pony hunter, tackling a hunter derby or competing at the Grand Prix level. Having dabbled in small eq, hunters and jumpers, the mindset and styles are different.

When one is riding a hunter round (GM) style is paramount. You can't look bad or it reflects poorly on your horse. Having that uber-quiet leg, soft hand and light seat is crucial. Any and all corrections must be subtle and seamless. At the end of it, looks matter - and the rider is a huge part of that look. Having a leg that is lovely helps to make the round look nicer.

When one is riding in the jumper ring, however (WS), looks don't mean a thing. Yes, one must ride effectively but the whole ride is different. You must attack the course more, and if that means not looking as nice, so be it. Your guidance and corrections don't have to be invisible - not even subtle. You do what you need to get the job done. Having your stirrups where they're comfortable for you is vital.

JM2CW
      A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

You'll probably get a lot more interest if you remove the preface. In my opinion, it makes you seem condescending. If what we talk about is trivial and mundane, why are you bothering? Your overly active mind seems to have given you a lofty ego.

Anyways. I guess I would have to go with George on this one. I have three worn holes on my stirrup leathers. I prefer my stirrups just below the ankle bone (bottom hole) for dressage work, at the very bottom of my ankle bone for flatting before I jump and jumping caveletti (sp?) sized fences (middle hole) and on the upper half of my ankle bone for anything from 3'-3'9" (top hole). Since I don't yet regularly jump higher than 3'9", my stirrups don't usually get raised any higher than that. When I start schooling higher than that I imagine they'll come up a hole.

Before I took dressage lessons I always rode with my stirrups pretty short. Now I find that I can't get everything I want to accomplished with them that short and therefore drop them a hole or two depending on what I am doing.

I was in a clinic last spring and was surprised, when the clinician asked everyone to show their stirrup leathers, how few people actually changed the length of their stirrups depending on what they were doing.
        Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
        Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by LudgerFan View Post
          I tire of trivial discussions on this forum. Perhaps "trivial" is an offensive choice of words; possibly "mundane" would be less likely to trigger a negative response from fellow posters. Not to say there is not a time and place to ask advice on what to wear in an equitation class, or ask assistance in naming one's horse....I guess I am just one with an overly active mind that views riding as something truly academic and worthy of much thoughtful reflection. Maybe that's just me...
          Probably not the best way to start a thread....

I think stirrup length is a some what personal thing. Some people are not comfortable with the short short stirrup length but like them a little longer and do not look like they are reaching.

I personally prefer shorter than longer.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughtful posts and insights. It does perhaps seem that a difference of only ONE HOLE in stirrup length would have minimal effects on rider position, but in ACTUALITY the effects are rather significant.

As an afterthought...it is not my intention to pit GM against Steinkraus. I just happened to find two differing opinions on the subject and thought it would be thought-provoking and stimulating to all...and often these forums are in need of just that.

The opening statements were intended to be a bit provocative! Call me a troll, I can take it. I intentionally want to stir up a hornet's nest because I want to know that people really DO care, because that's not what I SEE out there. I feel that there is so much emphasis on riding as a SPORT (thanks to Nike's "just do it" philosophy) and what we WEAR that we have lost much of the appeal of riding as something more intellectual. What would happen to golf if the Nike philosophy was applied? The seemingly insignificant details are important! If everyone out there does "whatever works for them" we lose the standard and the ability to apply it. Clearly I do not subscribe to the modern relativistic philosophy that "everyone has their own opinion, and what's right for them is what's right for them." I do believe in black and white, good and bad, better and worse: the same physical laws apply to all bodies in motion!
            Last edited by LudgerFan; Oct. 13, 2009, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughtful post. It does perhaps seem that a difference of only ONE HOLE in stirrup length would have minimal effects on rider position, but in ACTUALITY the effects are rather significant.
              Again, it depends greatly on the person. One hole might not affect a person with a long upper leg the same as it would a person with a short upper leg.

Things are not near so black and white as you are trying to make them. Even your quotes give ranges.

Comment

I tire of trivial discussions on this forum. Perhaps "trivial" is an offensive choice of words; possibly "mundane" would be less likely to trigger a negative response from fellow posters. Not to say there is not a time and place to ask advice on what to wear in an equitation class, or ask assistance in naming one's horse....I guess I am just one with an overly active mind that views riding as something truly academic and worthy of much thoughtful reflection. Maybe that's just me...
                You can view something as academic and "worthy of much thoughtful reflection" while still enjoying discussion on the lighter, smaller aspects of it. I think it's a bit condescending to suggest that others do not take it as seriously as you apparently feel that you do.

That being said, I'm agreeable that we've been seeing a fair amount of too-long stirrups in the show ring. Riders shouldn't be reaching for their stirrup over a fence, as it leaves them having to compensate otherwise.

However, individual comfort and comformation plays a role as well. If someone's more comfortable with a longer stirrup and it's not impeding their ride, particularly over lower fences, I don't see it as problematic whatsoever.

George also suggests that advanced riders can have a spread of from “two to four holes, depending on the height of the fences they’re jumping. Most people are lazy about this and, as a consequence, develop a ‘chair’ seat.”
                ---
                They're small hearts.

Comment

To me it is important to balance short stirrups that let you really get off the back over bigger fences (3'6"-4ft is bigger to me) with having stirrups long enough that still gives you an effective leg between the fences. As a short rider (5'2") usually on big horses (16.1-17.1) if my stirrups are too short I feel like the horse isn't quite as responsive to turning/engaging/etc if my leg ends too high up the horse's barrel. That said, I am constantly accused of riding too short by my trainer who stands by long stirrups rather than short ones.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                    Again, it depends greatly on the person. One hole might not affect a person with a long upper leg the same as it would a person with a short upper leg.
                    You are right about this. I am one of those with a long upper leg...but I find that what is key is not altering the length of stirrup to accomodate this, but rather the position of the lower leg over the fence. Case in point: contrast Christ Kappler and Ludger Beerbaum. Both built very similarly...lower leg positions on each end of the spectrum. Which would lead to another very interesting discussion!

Comment

If you looked at my stirrup leathers you wouldn't see very many wear marks on different holes. The reason why is that if am doing flat work, I will go do flatwork in my dressage saddle where my stirrups aer longer and I can ride correctly for that type of work; if I am jumping, even with a flat warm-up I ride with them jumping length so I can focus on balance and security on the flat at that length first then appreciate it over fences. I don't think I can get truly excellent dressage work in a jumping saddle.

I think that GM and Steinkraus make similar points and perhaps Steinkraus simply extends the concept to much higher jumps than GM due to audience of the various books, but I could be way off on that. I have a feeling if you put them in a room together and asked them a question about the correct stirrup length for various activities they wouldn't disagree too much. Very much depends on the riders' build as well- that can't be stressed enough. what works for me at 5'8" with super long legs probably won't work as well for someone who is 5'8" and more balanced leg to torso.
                      My blog:

RAWR

Comment

I don't think they differ at all. Billy just goes into more detail as the jumps get bigger, whereas George deneralizes for over 3'6". I can assure you, GM would completely defer to Billy's feelings on jumping a bigger fence. And, if asked, would probably tell you exactly the same thing that Billy does.
                        Laurie

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lauriep View Post
                          I don't think they differ at all. Billy just goes into more detail as the jumps get bigger, whereas George deneralizes for over 3'6". I can assure you, GM would completely defer to Billy's feelings on jumping a bigger fence. And, if asked, would probably tell you exactly the same thing that Billy does.
                          But their initial starting point (hunter flatwork length) was different, no? Steinkraus' dressage length is GM's flatwork and jumping to 3'6" length. Is that not significant?

Comment

I intentionally want to stir up a hornet's nest because I want to know that people really DO care, because that's not what I SEE out there.
                            Yes, but wouldn't it be smarter and more productive to stir up a hornet's nest about the topic you introduced rather than to stir up a hornet's nest about your perceived attitude towards the average poster?
                            Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by DMK View Post
                              Yes, but wouldn't it be smarter and more productive to stir up a hornet's nest about the topic you introduced rather than to stir up a hornet's nest about your perceived attitude towards the average poster?
                              Perhaps. But oftentimes occasionally offending and polarizing people causes them to really THINK when they normally not even really HAVE an opinion, and then to go out and APPLY/EXPERIMENT, and thereby LEARN.

Comment

Actually, in your quote, George doesn't specifically address flatwork. But if you take his lower level (fences below 3'6") being at the bottom of the ankle bone, and Billy saying flatwork should be at bottom of ankle bone, even if GM went down one more hole for flatwork, it would still be at bottom of ankle bone, more or less.

I think the meaning of both is that 1) you shouldn't ride with a too-long stirrup and 2) as you jump, you need to go up 1-2 holes as you progress in height.

I really don't think you need to pick this pretty obvious concept apart as disagreement. GM thinks no one does it better than Billy, and would most certainly not disagree with his explanation of stirrup length.
                                Laurie

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Mom View Post
                                  When one is riding a hunter round (GM) style is paramount. You can't look bad or it reflects poorly on your horse. Having that uber-quiet leg, soft hand and light seat is crucial. Any and all corrections must be subtle and seamless. At the end of it, looks matter - and the rider is a huge part of that look. Having a leg that is lovely helps to make the round look nicer.

When one is riding in the jumper ring, however (WS), looks don't mean a thing. Yes, one must ride effectively but the whole ride is different. You must attack the course more, and if that means not looking as nice, so be it. Your guidance and corrections don't have to be invisible - not even subtle. You do what you need to get the job done. Having your stirrups where they're comfortable for you is vital.
                                  I agree! I recently switched from hunters to jumpers. While doing a course 2 weeks ago, my trainer said, "I don't like where your stirrups are." and proceeded to move them up 4 holes on both sides. 4 HOLES (well they are half holed so I guess that means 2, but still). I told her they were too short and she said they were not too short because my horse is a jumper, a very scopey, forward moving jumper and I need the security.

Now after riding for two weeks I agree with the change. They still feel a little short but I am sure that I am not going to lose my stirrups. Plus I like having them shorter when we are coming up to a fence because my horse will gallop/bolt through a whole course if you let her. The shorter stirrups give me a secure base so I can sit down in the saddle and try to keep her together. It may not look pretty, but I feel safe.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lauriep View Post
                                    Actually, in your quote, George doesn't specifically address flatwork. But if you take his lower level (fences below 3'6") being at the bottom of the ankle bone, and Billy saying flatwork should be at bottom of ankle bone, even if GM went down one more hole for flatwork, it would still be at bottom of ankle bone, more or less.
                                    To clarify: Steinkraus' DRESSAGE length is the same as GM's length for jumping up to 3'6"...

Comment

I do all my flatwork and a few small jumps (2'6 and under) in my dressage length, top of the stirrup tread at the bottom of my ankle bone. I do put them up a hole to jump school, and the stirrup tread is at the top of my ankle bone when jumping 3' and higher. Can't say I've done much bigger jumping of late, but I plan to have a saddle that fits before I start raising my stirrups more than this. I used to ride in too short stirrups (by about three holes) until riding with an Eventer and learning classical European dressage. I also appreciate the chances to jump without stirrups as I get a better feel for the horse's motion on approach, flight, and landing.
                                      "Beware the hobby that eats."
                                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well, if you have ever watched GM teach and really listened, you'd realize he considers anything UNDER 3'6" as too low to bother with raising the irons for most riders.

He most certainly advocates a shorter length when riders get to decent sized fences, not so much 3' and under...more personal preference. And he DOES like the longer length for flatwork to allow full use of the leg aids.

He has also repeatedly said everybody should be comfortable in a 3 to 4 hole range to allow for flexibilty determined by fence height or flatwork and the barrel shape and size of whatever you are riding.

There is no argument here when you put it in context.
                                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X