• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Riding early in the morning.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding early in the morning.

It just makes the whole day better.

Any other early AM riders out there?

I don't have lights for my outdoor yet so I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature at the moment. The later sunrise is making it hard to get much done in the mornings.
    Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    It just makes the whole day better.

Any other early AM riders out there?

I don't have lights for my outdoor yet so I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature at the moment. The later sunrise is making it hard to get much done in the mornings.
    I've bcome an early am rider since having a baby! i ride when she's napping
    R.I.P. "Henry" 4/22/05 - 3/26/2010 We loved you so much....gone but NEVER FORGOTTEN...i hope we meet again

Comment

My daughter loves to ride early, granted her early is 8:00 (which I think is pretty good for a 17 year old!!), many days she is the only "kid" riding that early, plus she gets most of the rides which turns into free lessons, she can end up riding 5-6 horses by noon by getting there that early, plus no kaos in the rings!

Comment

WE rode EARLY all summer long, I loved it, as much as I enjoy being in the barn I also like getting other things done during the day! We could ride and be out before 11 am and have the whole rest of the day , now my older Dd is in school ( my younger Dd is home schooled) so we can't ride until 3:30 in the afternoon. It drags my whole evening out much later than I would like LOL!!
        Kim
        If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

In the summer I usually do 4-6 horses by about 9am. Now I ride from 9-12 and teach 4-9pm two days , and ride/teach 12-5 on the other days. I do prefer for them to work before breakfast, but now that its cold and dark its hard to drag myself out there at 5 or 6am like I do in the summer.

Comment

From spring through fall I ride before work as soon as it's light. But yes, staying dark later in the morning is messing up my day! I love during the sumemr being on my beastie at 6:20am as I can have a more productive ride. Now it's not light until 7:20 and I have to do a quick ride so I can shower and get to work.

Hopefully soon my horse will be back to afternoon rides but he does better in the mornings due to pollen allergies.

Comment

Early morning rides are so satisfying. This summer I was usually up at 430-5am so I could get on and ride before the heat. Last year I remember going cubbing in the dead heat of summer. We were up at 3am and on long before the sun rose, it's on my list of best rides ever.

But of course now that classes (college) have begun again, I can't be asked to get up before 8am!

Comment

I am an on and off morning rider. I'm not a morning person by default so it takes a lot to get me back into the swing of things

I will probably start going to mornings soon, seeing as it will be getting dark so early.
                Originally posted by barka.lounger
                u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

Early morning rides are the BEST, especially in the summer before the heat of the day. But, now that the weather is cooling off, there is nothing more satisfying than the warm breath of your horse on your cheek and the invigorating feeling of galloping through the fields in the crisp air!!! Does both horse and human good!

Plus riding in the morning leaves the rest of the day to do whatever you want... AKA spending some quality time with your "husband".

Comment

I LOVE riding early. I'm in college so my early is 7:30 or 8, with my classes starting at 10:30 and 12:15 depending on the day. I love walking back to my apartment in my riding stuff at 9:30 or 10:30 and seeing everyone else just rolling out of bed who already wasted most of their day. I love getting a good start on my day, and I've found that I actually have an easier time paying attention in class when I've already ridden.

Comment

Early morning is one of my fav times to ride! It always starts my day out nicely

Comment

Riding is the only thing that will get me out of bed in the morning. i used to always do early am rides. getting to the barn by 6:45 to be tacked and on by the time the sun comes up.

Now that my horse is farther from home and work I have to do pm rides...and Im late to work every day because I cannot get out of bed. somehow going to sit in a cubicle isnt that appealing when my alarm goes off at 6:00 am
                        \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

Comment

I ride before work every morning- usually from 7:30-9:00 or so. It's hard in the winter, but by the time I get to leave work the barn is closed so I don't have a choice.

Comment

I am so much better in the morning than the afternoon, just in general. I much prefer riding and getting it all done before noon whenever possible

Comment

Originally posted by Keep1Belle View Post
                              Riding is the only thing that will get me out of bed in the morning. i used to always do early am rides. getting to the barn by 6:45 to be tacked and on by the time the sun comes up.

Now that my horse is farther from home and work I have to do pm rides...and Im late to work every day because I cannot get out of bed. somehow going to sit in a cubicle isnt that appealing when my alarm goes off at 6:00 am
                              Keep1Belle, you have absolutely described my life! I somehow don't "require" coffee when I'm getting up early to go to the barn; but I'm worthless without it when I have to get up for work!!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPg2TKh9n1w

Comment

I don't think I have ever rode before 10am. I am more of an evening rider because I am not a morning person at all. Waking up for work is hard enough and on weekends I love to sleep in. However this morning on the way to work I went down to the barn to grab my saddle to ship off for repairs and it looked so nice and calm. I saw a girl riding in the big covered all alone. It rained here so all the outside arenas are closed, so that big covered arena will be stuffed full of 25+ horses later today.
                                Owned by an Oldenburg

Comment

Ugh! I wish I could motivate myself to roll out of bed early enough to ride before work, but years of working the 3-11 shift has not only permanently set my bio clock to being a night person, its also caused chronic insomnia. I sleep in 3 hour shifts... from 11 - 2 and from 4 - 7.
                                  Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                                  Witherun Farm
                                  http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

During the summer my friends and I would get up at 5:45 to ride. Sometimes we would just go out to the fields and catch the ponies with their bridles and hop on.
                                    -JustWorld International-

Comment

Originally posted by ksully913 View Post
                                      I LOVE riding early. I'm in college so my early is 7:30 or 8, with my classes starting at 10:30 and 12:15 depending on the day. I love walking back to my apartment in my riding stuff at 9:30 or 10:30 and seeing everyone else just rolling out of bed who already wasted most of their day. I love getting a good start on my day, and I've found that I actually have an easier time paying attention in class when I've already ridden.
                                      Agreed!

Last year I got into a good habit of going to bed around 9 or 10 pm and waking up as early as 5 am to do homework. Plus this past spring I took a class at 7:30 am so I'd see my friends dragging at 10 am while I was all chipper from coffee and the fact that I might have been up for the last 5 hours already! Now that I have roommates this semester (off campus study program) it is a lot harder to get motivated!

When I leased a horse back in the summer of '06 (would love to lease again!) it was so great to be out at the barn around 6:30 or 7 am to ride him before it got super hot. Plus I could be home by 9 am and go on with my day!

Comment

I'm envious of those of you who are worth ANYTHING in the wee hours of the morning!

Though I do, on occasion, ride at the crack of dawn, it is only by brute force (as in, the horses won't get ridden at all if I don't get up that morning, and some show or clinic is coming up requiring SOME sort of riding activity prior). And sadly I don't feel any better about having the riding done than I would after riding at 10am or 6pm

Comment

Working...
                                        X