• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Jingles for my bad luck. and a huge vent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jingles for my bad luck. and a huge vent

I know that Im so fortunate to have my horse be alive and all but I think Im truly cursed. I worked my butt off for so long to finally become a good rider. Ive also worked so hard to really get that bond with my horse. I worked so hard this year to qualify for finals with a somewhat limited show schedule ( 8 a/AA shows). I won three classics out of thirty plus and pinned in the others. We were champions in large divisions at the summer AA shows.

Then when I was third nationally after just a few big summer shows we decided we would give him a vacation after he showed for 3 weeks in a row (cleveland and traverse city). Well since then hes been on again off again, the vet helped fix him all up and then we were second in a hunter derby then he went off again. The vet then 'solved' the issue and he was amazing at capital challenge (I wasnt as good without lessoning only three times since july thanks to his on again off again lameness) and we were fourth overall in our division and 8th in the WCHR year end final. He was being great at home and we jumped him last night and he was once again really good.

Then today I arrive to the barn all excited as we leave for harrisburg tomorrow, and see that my trainer had already ridden my horse. I am still in my little happy bubble until a groom casually tells me my horse is lame. Just like oh by the way hes off at the trot both ways hope its not a problem. Great. there goes finals. and all that work. Heres to hoping hes sound tomorrow when I hack him ( he doesnt leave till sunday)

sorry for how long this is and how its ranting and raving. but Im so upset and none of my non horse friends get it.

Big bummer! I know your pain. This is the second year that a minor issue has kept us from indoors. Argh! Its a huge disappointment but you are very right, your horse is still here and the bigger issue is figuring out was is wrong with him. Sounds like its time for futher diagnostics. Poor thing. Nothing is more important than the health of the horse, but its still a letdown!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Kikki500

Comment

Welcome to the joy and pain of horse ownership

I'm sorry that your horse is sore and that you might miss Harrisburg. Unfortunately this happens and we are lucky if it's not a fatal colic or an otherwise disasterous event. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem and you live to fight another day. I takes some serious fortitude to be a horseman/woman.

Comment

Here's hoping your pony is better soon...and I feel your pain, it is so dissapointing when you have worked so hard...but maybe, just maybe, there is a reason you were not supposed to be on the road, or at the warmup ring at a certain time...maybe your guardian angel is looking out for you. You sound dedicated... hope your horse will bounce back quickly for something else.
        It's hard when your friends don't understand what you do...that's why you have COTH forum!
        What would you try if you knew you would not fail?

Comment

I understand, I worked really hard one year to qualify for nationals, DID, then the day after I got my letter- whoops lame! But knowing that we qualified is *almost* as good as going.

Comment

Jingles - Hope he comes sound by Sunday ! Good Luck !!
            Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Good Luck! I hope he gets better!
              "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

I definitely feel your pain. I had to scratch 2 years in a row from Spruce Meadows. My mare was sound all year both times and then hurt herself right before both times. I also had a great horse that got hurt 2 months after I bought him (right before we were going to move up to the 1.40s) and never got better even with surgery and a year off. Both of these horses vetted clean when I bought them and were worked on good footing and were not over-jumped in any way. Sometimes it's just really bad luck! Of course, the people that jump the legs off their horses seem to get away with it.

Comment

Do you have any idea how very lucky you are? Most people would give a body part to be able to show on the "A" circuit and own a nice horse.

Comment

that is sooooo dissappointing! i feel sorry for you! the only thing you can do is concentrate on getting your horse better and hope he will be okay!
                    the one time i ever had a chance of going to Harrisburg, the horse i was riding died. i worked sooooo hard to qualify for the adult jumpers and i was mounted on a horse that would have carted my butt around. i was near the top of the list for NAL points. sadly he died about 1.5 months before harrisburg. i was soo upsett, but really more upsett that my partner died. he was 26yo but he had been so vibrant and never seemed old! it was a shock that one week i showed in the adult jumpers and the next week he was gone. he was such a special horse!
                    i will tell you life goes on and you will get over this dissapointment! i have yet to qualify for harrisburg again. i am hoping that my young horse will be able to do that for me. so far he has been so good! i just have to patiently bring him along and hope for the best.
                    but i will tell you, the journey is really fun. so when you are sad about that one special day, remember those memories where you were the winner out of 30+ horses!

Comment

Originally posted by springer View Post
                      Do you have any idea how very lucky you are? Most people would give a body part to be able to show on the "A" circuit and own a nice horse.
                      Not quite the point...she said she knows how lucky she is. Jeesh.

Hope you figure out whats going on with your horse... I also feel your pain!

Comment

Big hugs! I am so sorry! Go ahead and vent. Sometimes things just suck. I hope this doesn't sound too cliche but usually there is a reason. In time, you will be able to brush this off your shoulder and smile.

Comment

Not quite the point...she said she knows how lucky she is. Jeesh.
                          Agree. Seriously? It sucks to work your butt off all year long for something and have it not pan out. Sadly, with horses, it's the name of the game... but that doesn't necessarily make it any less frustrating.
                          ---
                          They're small hearts.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well the jingles and well wishes worked magic on my horse. The vet came out to investigate the mystery lameness. We pulled his shoes to see if there was something going on with his feet as he has sensitive toesies, and found the problem. My poor horsey had somehow developed corns between his hoof and his shoe, making his toes feel ouchy. We figure that jumping on them irritated them so the next day he was sore. The vet was able to remove them very easily, and as soon as they were off of his feet he jogged sound. We decided to see if he would be sound undersaddle and he was back to his normal self.

The vet then said it wouldnt hurt him at all to take him down to Harrisburg and show if he seemed happy and sound. So down we went. I got to watch my friends show in the medal and hang out with some show friends so I was happy. My horse was moving amazing the entire weekend. He was also so calm and settled in amazing. I hacked him in the ring on sunday night and he didnt peek at anything. We didnt do anything again till I schooled to show (no lunging or pro rides).

We got in the ring and he was absolutely amazing. We found all our distances to the jumps, and he was jumping really well (no rubs at all). Lots of trainers told me I was winning the final... well until the final bending line. Earlier in the class everyone was strugling to get down it and was really pushing their horses to get the strides. I jumped in with a nice forward distance and managed to keep up that pace and flowed out leaving out a stride (oopsieeeee doopsie). I had no idea I left out a stride. but then proceded to make a hairpin turn as we were going rather quickly towards a wall.

now heres the funny part.. In the medal the day before there was an Ingate and an outgate. And I had watched like 130 medal trips so i had it in my brain that I was supposed to walk out the outgate, so after I was done I walked over there to realize that I was supposed to exit from the ingate. I got alot of laughs and claps. I couldnt be prouder of my little horse ) Just thought you might want an update. Thanks for all the good wishes, I guess they worked!

Here are some pictures

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=622598173

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f&id=622598173

Comment

That is just WONDERFUL, that it worked out so well for you! He's a cute guy, and that big smile on your face just says it all. I know, just from looking at the pics, that you DO know how lucky you are. Congrats; I'm very happy for you!

(And yes, I'm another one whose TB handed me a sick note for Maclay Finals when I finally qualified, my last junior year... albeit it was 40+ years ago! ) I'm well over it now, of course - it's just the horse biz - but I do remember that sinking feeling in your heart when you realize you're not going to be able to go. It's tough, and anyone who thinks it's not is delusional, frankly! I don't blame you a bit for your initial vent.

I'm just SO glad it worked out for you. Really. Congrats.
                              "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

SO glad you figured out his issue and got to compete. GREAT photos-are you smiling in them?? Especially the second one? If so, you go girl!!! What is your horse's name-he looks very kind and adorable.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yep im smiling in all of them. I just cant stop smiling over jumps on him. like every picture I have of us I have a huge smile. Thanks. I truly appreciate all I have, I've changed alot in a year coming from being a bratty bitter kid on a grumpy horse to being soo happy with my horse. I was honored to hear from my trainer that he had overheard other trainers telling their riders who made mistakes to have responded like I did. Heck I was even laughing and smiling after leaving out a stride at finals.

His names buck naked Hes amazing to say the least. a girls dream horse.

Comment

That's awesome! Congrats! Your pictures are great and it sounds like you had a great time

Comment

Awesome! So happy you got to show.
                                      May I also congratulate you on being a sparkling example of good sportsmanship? I bet your trainer loves working with you!

Comment

hey congrats for fixing the problem and being able to show at harrisburg! your horse is really cute. i remember those white and black barrel jumps in the medal finals. it was at the end of the triple combination and most of the horses jumped the c%rap out of that jump! i was sitting right there. and so many of them touched their knees to the underside of their head! it was an awesome jump to watch the horses go over!

Comment

Working...
                                        X