• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Super Comfort Iron Pads - Super Saddle Scratchers! HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Comfort Iron Pads - Super Saddle Scratchers! HELP!

Okay...got these pads in over the weekend and put them on my regular irons. Love them, love them, love them.

BUT...they are scratching the heck out of my saddle. I'm careful when I run the stirrups up, but it seems that they still scratch with the slight motion that happens when I take the saddle off the horse, carry it to the tack room and store it.

I know a ton of folks use these - what do you do to prevent the scratching?

Thanks!

Hmm, do you mean something similar to a cheese grater stirrup pad? I have some on my Royal Rider stirrups but the worst they do is scratch my leathers if I'm not careful running them up or down. I think the reason mine don't scratch my saddle is because my leathers are pretty thick, and leave a space between my stirrups and saddle when they're up. Are your stirrup leathers thin?

Comment

She's talking about these I believe:
      http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/Produc...ctclassid=6038

I hate to hear they are scratching your saddle because I was thinking about buying some...will be interesting to hear if others have the same problem.

Comment

• Original Poster

Those ones you linked to at Smartpak are what I'm talking about.

My leathers are pretty thick and they are not scratching under there - it is more like the knee roll area that is getting banged up.

Like if the run up stirrups swing a little when you are taking the saddle off, etc - the forward part of the iron that isn't held away from the saddle by the leathers seems to be hitting the knee roll and scratching it.

Comment

You could do what my friend has done to protect her saddle. She has taken 2 face cloths and puts one around each stirrup pad before she rolls them up. Works like a charm to protect the leather!
          Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

• Original Poster

I will take some towels out with me to the barn tonight.

Does anyone have these and NOT have a problem with scratching?

Comment

I have them and don't have that problem. But when I run up my stirrups, I also flip the leathers up back over the stirrup and then run the excess leather through the loop and then back into the keeper. I find this method along w/ using a tight fitting saddle cover helps keep my stirrups more stationery.

Comment

Ooh really good to know. I rode in my trainer's saddle who had these and I loved them... I was considering getting them but not at the expense of scratching my beloved CWD!
                Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
                Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
                Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

I have/had a pair like them, (just bought new stirrups..) but never had any problems with them scratching..do you have them on tight enought? Did you cut the excess off close enough?

Comment

Or I guess couldn't you put a saddle cover on with stirrup holes? I know, it's a lot of work before even rolling up your stirrups!
                    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
                    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
                    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jolie_ View Post
                      I have/had a pair like them, (just bought new stirrups..) but never had any problems with them scratching..do you have them on tight enought? Did you cut the excess off close enough?
                      I think they are tight enough. I did the "turn" test with them and I can't get them to budge. What do you mean about cutting off excess? There isn't really any excess that I know of - they pretty much fill the space between the sides of the irons evenly without any extra. Or are you saying I should trim them so I can see a little metal on the edges (so make them smaller than the iron)?

I'm new to these so just wanting to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I don't use a saddle cover (PITA) and because the saddle is stored in a locker pretty securely. I could look into a cover with stirrup holes though if I can't figure another way.

Comment

Is the pad scratching your saddle or is it the zip-ties under the stirrup that are securing the pads in place scratching the saddle?

I just put a pair of these on my saddle and have no problem with scratches....but....I did notice that when I cut off the excess zip-tie on the bottom, there was sharp edges and it scratched my hand. I filed the end of the zip-tie in attempt make a smoother edge and not scratch my hand in the future. It didn't occur to me that the zip-tie may scratch the saddle.

Comment

• Original Poster

It is the pad - the zip ties are kinda angeled out and away from the side of the saddle of that makes sense (like pulled more over to the outside of the bottom of the iron rather than the middle or inside). I was worried about those scratching.

Comment

I have the pads and no problem with scratching. When I run up my stirrups I tuck the excess loop underneath the rear facing branch of the iron then tuck back into itself. Basically, I tie the stirrup leather in a knot around the rear-facing branch. This tends to keep my irons still, no scratching.
                            "Beware the hobby that eats."
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I had those pads for years on different saddles and never had a problem with scratching. Odd.

Comment

Originally posted by TrakeGirl View Post
                                There isn't really any excess that I know of - they pretty much fill the space between the sides of the irons evenly without any extra. Or are you saying I should trim them so I can see a little metal on the edges (so make them smaller than the iron)?
                                Sorry I was meaning the twist ties - but you have already mentioned later that it is not them that is scratching. I put my stirrups up like JumpWithPanache mentioned, and I also lunged my horse during the winter with them up like that and no scratches...perhaps you got extra grippy ones or a manufacturer defect? As can't say they even scratched my hands, good luck!

Comment

Crown Royal purple felt bags. Slip over the stirrup, draw tight and voila!

I have a friend that "makes" Stirrup covers and monograms them. Really cute.
                                  http://www.majesticacresfl.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Elio04 View Post
                                    Crown Royal purple felt bags. Slip over the stirrup, draw tight and voila!

I have a friend that "makes" Stirrup covers and monograms them. Really cute.
                                    Oh that is a GREAT IDEA!!! Time to get drunk!!! LOL.

Seriously though - can you PM me your friend's email? Maybe I can get her to make me a pair!

Comment

• Original Poster

Just FYI - I trimmed about 1/2 inch off the pad on the edges of the iron thinking that would help (as that was the area that was scratching) and yeah...not so much. The stirrup pad still makes direct contact with the knee flap when the irons are run up and still scratches (but it is a little better).

Got to thinking about it and my saddle is built with a recessed stirrup bar - I am thinking this is why we might have this issue. Ie - if the stirrup bar wasn't recessed, that and the leathers would probably hold the iron/pad up away from the saddle enough so they wouldn't scratch.

So other people might be okay. For me - I'm off to find those drawstring pouches for my irons!

Comment

Weird. I've *never* had a problem with these pads.

Comment

Working...
                                        X