• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hunter Prospect with huge Quarter Crack - Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter Prospect with huge Quarter Crack - Advice?

Hi! Just looking for advice from anyone who's worked with horses with major hoof cracks... I'm trying out this 3 y/o dutch wb/ tb cross gelding who's super cute. I'm looking to bring a long this horse for a 3' hunter with potential for higher. I really like him, but his has a massive crack in his left from hoof all the way to the coronet band... I will obviously have a PPE done before I purchase him, but does anyone have experience with this? Do you think it will significantly affect him?

It depends on how deep it is. Mare had one last summer, but it didn't go deep enough to make it a problem for her ever. Have a farrier look at it.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Yes. Is it superficial, or truly a quarter crack?

If the crack is a result of bad conformation, run like the wind. If a result of poor shoeing, you might be ok,if you have a very good blacksmith and time.
      Dina
      www.olddominionsaddlery.com
      http://www.facebook.com/olddominionsaddlery Like us on Facebook!!

Comment

RUN AWAY!!! FAR FAR AWAY!

I bought a horse two years ago and his hoof keeps cracking and he isn't sound on it when it cracks. Physically there is nothing wrong with him and it is only one foot that has the problem. This horse BROKE my heart -- he is the most talented jumper. (Look at the photos below of Harbour Town if you want poof of his jump) I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through what I have gone through.

Mine is sound now and he is headed back to work but I am not holding my breath.
        My Pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/estieg12
        *Harbour Town* 2002 Hanoverian gelding "Otto"
        *Sahalee* 2002 mare "Flower" but who knows what breed she is!

Comment

I echo EMWalker - run like the wind. Especially with young horses that have not proved their soundness over time, why take the risk? Situations like this are more heartbreaking when the horse is spectacular, because no hoof, no horse.

And, EMWalker, I am so sorry to hear about Otto. I've always admired his pictures, and can only imagine the pain of having such a nice one stuck in the barn. Glad he's making a comeback!
          Last edited by Justice; Sep. 21, 2009, 04:02 PM. Reason: to finish my sentence!
          Trinity Farm LLC
          Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
          Like us on Facebook:
          https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

In a young horse, run like the wind is good advice.

In an older, trained horse, it's more of a choice, I think. I have an older, schoolmaster-type warmblood who I bought with a quarter crack five years ago -- she still has it. Lots of good shoeing and not lame on it, but definitely not appropriate for holding up to a show schedule (probably why she was retired so early) but works for what I want.

Comment

• Original Poster

Talked to the vet

I called my vet to get his opinion this am... he's having me take some pics of it to send to him before I do a PPE... just in case... but he did say if it's superficial it will probably be okay...

The horse is totally sound on the foot now and it's cracked... he's in a 6 day per week riding program right now and only jumping once per week... it's a tough one that I'm just going to have to play by ear I guess...

Comment

Is there any way to have your farrier look at the horse or photos of the crack? Might be a valuable second opinion.
                Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Instagram

Comment

[QUOTE=EMWalker;4389586]This horse BROKE my heart -- he is the most talented jumper. (Look at the photos below of Harbour Town if you want poof of his jump) I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through what I have gone through.
                  QUOTE]

wow i am so sorry to hear of this horse being a problem for you. he is gorgeous! how long has he been lame?
                  i dont buy problems. i would find another horse.
                  but my friend has a horse who cracked up the front center of the hoofs on both front feet. it looked really bad to me, but the farrier said superficial. so i would have the horse checked by a farrier first and then the vet.

Comment

We had a race horse with 1/4 cracks, just bad feet..Still won, no issues..Home now and I do have to work to keep her feet dry( NW weather) bit I made my own hoof cream, Shea Butter and Tea Tree Oil..Her feet LOOK GREAT , ..20 some years ago when i was a barn manager on the East Coast, we had a BIG time jumper who had 1/4 cracks..At that time the trainer had me feed him gelitin...Seemed to do the job...

Don't panic yet until your vet and shoer looks at the horse, could be a good bargin on the price
                    Gates Equestrian
                    National Champion Dan Patch sire of USEF/USHJA winning ponies!
                    [url]www.gateseqsmfponies.webs.com/

Comment

My horse has quarter crack issues due to the conformation of his hoof and all the pressure is hitting on area, where the cracks happen. I was able to get it under control with a good farrier, bar shoes with pads, and lamina saver supplement. He will occasionally need fiberglass patches on his hoof if a crack starts. My horse is now showing 3'0-3'3 and the cracks are rare, but expect to have to pay to keep it under control. My horse needs to be trimmed every 5 weeks to keep his toes short, and bar shoes and patches can be expensive. Lamina saver from a few months is about $200.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by showponies View Post
                        We had a race horse with 1/4 cracks, just bad feet..Still won, no issues..Home now and I do have to work to keep her feet dry( NW weather) bit I made my own hoof cream, Shea Butter and Tea Tree Oil..Her feet LOOK GREAT , ..20 some years ago when i was a barn manager on the East Coast, we had a BIG time jumper who had 1/4 cracks..At that time the trainer had me feed him gelitin...Seemed to do the job...

Don't panic yet until your vet and shoer looks at the horse, could be a good bargin on the price
                        That's what I'm thinking too and my vet is a horseshoer too... so I get the best of both worlds by having him look at it... I don't want to buy a problem either... I just sent the last horse I tried back because of a failed flexion on the PPE... but I don't know anything about these types of cracks... mind you he still has to pass the rest of the PPE...

Comment

Another quarter crack survivor here! They're not fun for sure. My mare never took a lame step on hers but I had to stop riding her to get it to grow out. It's been a frustrating year that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I don't have any new suggestions over the advice everyone else has offered except that you need to consider the cost/benefit problem here. How much is the horse? Do you have the means to afford another horse if this one decides to take a year off? Can you afford $200 every 6 weeks for corrective shoeing?

After my experience I would NOT throw all my eggs in one basket on a horse with a quarter crack. If you can only afford one horse and you want to get a lot of show mileage with your purchase you may want to keep looking.

Comment

A mare of mine got a quarter crack on the outside hoofwall that went up past the coronet band. The farrier patch it, but as the crack started to grow out, she started to have trouble keeping the shoe on and was slightly off. I ended up pulling the shoe, putting an easy boot on her and laying her up in my backyard where she could walk around. In about five months, the shoe came back on and I was able to lightly hack her. I did not jump her until the crack was all the way grown out. It took a year. My farrier also modified the way she was shod and I doubled the amount of grand hoof I gave her. She never had another crack, but it did take a year out of her training. I got pregnant at the time, so it was a good time for her to be out of commission.

If it can be determined what caused the crack in the first place and how severe it is, would be deciding factors in whether I would purchase a horse with a crack. Hopefully your yet and farrier can give you some answers.

Comment

A friend of mine bought a reiner with a small quarter crack ended up having navicular! Now he is just a pet, can't be ridden at all. Not saying its an indication or even related but pull out all the stops if you do try to buy him. Have him vetted, x-rays... it will save you in the long run if he finds something.

Just my 2cents

Comment

There's one miracle med you have to know about...

In Argentina my vet produces an ozoned vegetable oil with DMSO that guarantees twice as much growth. I have tested it myself on various horses and it works miracles with brittle hooves, poor growth, quarter cracks and thrush. It's called OzoneFlu here in Argentina and he is trying to start marketing in USA as a hoof enhancer (and not as hoof medication due to FDA issues). He has even recovered a horse with laminitis with this product (and corrective shoeing, of course)! I have personally witnessed all these field tests and I stand by the product 110%.
                                This is their website:
                                http://www.ozonflu.com/eng/
                                My vet's name is Carlos Pastoriza and his brother (also a vet) is Jose Maria.
                                I swear it absolutely worth the try: affordable (about u$s30 in Argentina), easy to use and effective. If you want any more info mail me, but believe me it works wonders...
                                Viv
                                Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Comment

I'd have YOUR farrier look at the hoof if at all possible because s/he is the one that will have to deal with it. If your vet and farrier are both on the same page that its something that can be dealt with, then I'd be comfortable proceeding with the prepurchase. But I'd deal with the foot before I spent a lot on xrays and such.
                                  http://community.webshots.com/user/Kikki500

Comment

I would not even consider buyiing such a prospect. There are too many horses for sale right now to have to compromise with such an unpredictable type of problem.

Comment

Originally posted by TSWJB View Post
                                      wow i am so sorry to hear of this horse being a problem for you. he is gorgeous! how long has he been lame?
                                      Thanks. This horse really has broken my heart. He had no cracks when we bought him and passed the vet check just fine. Brought him back to Houston and after 3 weeks of hard showing in Ocala it cracked when he was turned out! His start up high and bleeds and hurts him. He took a year off, it grew out and same thing the second year -- same foot. Inside front left. He went to Ocala, showed, sound, then we came back to Houston and it cracks when he's turned out!

SOOOO a year and a half after the second crack, his foot finally looks fabulous and he is headed back to work. Lives in a steel bar shoe. But I am willing to do ANYTHING to keep this horse sound. His other 3 feet look fantastic. It's just the left front that isn't formed quite as well that has the problem. To look at his feet, even the bad one, look perfect. We have had two vets and two farriers say that there is NO reason this horse should have cracks. Breaks my heart.

He is on isoxuprine (sp?) and a hoof and bone supplement and I have a salve that I rub on his cornet band. Bar shoes. Hopefully it all works.

To the OP -- I agree TOTALLY with Addison -- there are two many good horses for sale with out problems. I wouldn't take the gamble on this one -- especially if you ever plan on reselling it because not many people will want to take a chance.
                                      My Pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/estieg12
                                      *Harbour Town* 2002 Hanoverian gelding "Otto"
                                      *Sahalee* 2002 mare "Flower" but who knows what breed she is!

Comment

Can anyone talk more about Laminasaver in relation to quarter cracks?? Interesting topic (not to hijack)

Yes, the cost IS also something to consider. I have my horse in egg bars with frog pads and they have to be done every four to five weeks. That runs more than $200 a shoeing. That plus hoof supplement, so it's not cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                        X