• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What do you pay for training board?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you pay for training board?

What do you pay for training and what for board (meaning, I am curious of the breakdown. Are you paying $800/month, $400 goes to board $400 to training, for example) and what does that get you? How many rides/lessons/per week, does it include showing, etc, etc. Also, could you include your general area, considering that costs vary so much due to location? Thanks, I am trying to decide what is normal and what is exceptional.
    Shop online at
    www.KoperEquine.com
    http://sweetolivefarm.com/services.php

Horse just came home. Was in training board in SW Mass.

$800/mo included 3 rides a week, grooming, trimming f/shows, mane pulled, mucking, bedding, t/o, feed, hay, blanket changes and worming.
    Last edited by Sansena; Sep. 18, 2009, 05:28 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Well, there are distinct advantages to moving to Where People Are Poor And There Is No "A" Circuit: I currently pay $175 for pasture board and $225 for training (trainer is an excellent young eventer). LOL, yes, New Englanders, that's per month not per day! This is for: feeding my custom feed 2x/day (I provide feed), free choice hay, light grooming, and 3 rides a week. 3 rides is PERFECT for my baby greenie who is just being started under saddle - he's an anxious pleaser and an overthinker & stays much more relaxed if given a day off to process things in between rides.

Showing, full grooming, clipping, braiding, hauling, etc. are not included; when Q is ready to go trot out somewhere, we'll be expected to split those costs with trainer's other clients.

Vbunny, if you haven't figured it out yet, this is INSANELY low.
      "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

I usually charge board + $300 (pr mo training fee).

Board is either (pasture- $250, partial- $350, full- $450).

This gets you whatever board you choose, plus 5 rides a wk. Mane pulling, bathing, grooming, pictures/videos. I will communicate with the owner as MUCH as they like!!! I have no problem with that at all (some people never hear from their trainers, but maybe once a month, lol).

OR

For the $300 training fee per month, this can be broken down to rides/lessons.. I will do 1 groundwork day, 2 ME riding days, and 1 lesson (for the owner) per wk.

I do the same thing for consignment horses, but add in the advertising fee (minimal as possible, depending on the price of the horse, quality of the horse, and how fast the owner wants them gone, or if they want to put them on the market, while they are in training, but really advertise after X # of months).
        Stephanie Smith
        www.FourSocksFarm.com

Proudly standing Gold Finish (Palomino JC Stallion)

Comment

Back when I boarded at trainers barns it was $1500/month to be in full training. This included:
          5 rides or lessons a week
          Full care (stalls, feed, supps I provided, wrapping, clipping, grooming, etc)
          Private turnout 7 days a week if you chose (I did)
          Holding for vet/farrier/chiro, etc.

It did not include any day fees, trailering or grooming at horse shows and we were expected to pay the full $1500/month PLUS all of the show fees/training expenses even when we were gone for months on end at WEF with this trainer. That one always made me mad because it certainly wasn't to 'hold our stalls' while we were gone since trainer was with us and he didn't allow anyone to board at the facility while he was out of town. Basically we had to pay 2-3x over for everything that should have been included in the full board at the show.

The day I moved to a private farm and started meeting a new trainer at shows and clinics only was a very, very happy day.

Comment

I don't have a horse in training, but I know someone who does. They pay..

$650/mnth board (full board with grooming etc)
            $30 a ride (5-6 days a week)
            All showing expenses (trailering, entry fees, braiding etc)

This is in Canada.

Comment

I do offer $50 discounts/credits if one client has one of their friends, or links a new client up with me (for lessons or training). So I guess that makes it cheaper too.. There is no limit either..

I have had a student bring in 5 other kids, she ended up getting lessons for free for over a month!!
              Stephanie Smith
              www.FourSocksFarm.com

Proudly standing Gold Finish (Palomino JC Stallion)

Comment

Originally posted by vbunny View Post
                What do you pay for training and what for board (meaning, I am curious of the breakdown. Are you paying $800/month, $400 goes to board $400 to training, for example) and what does that get you? How many rides/lessons/per week, does it include showing, etc, etc. Also, could you include your general area, considering that costs vary so much due to location? Thanks, I am trying to decide what is normal and what is exceptional.
                $800 (just went up) for board, $500 for training (BNT - don't know why he's so cheap but I'm not going to bring it up! ). Stall cleaned 2X per day (rubber mats), shavings are skimpy, fed 3X per day, up to 8 flakes of hay of your choice (3-string bales) and a reasonable amount of grain. Turn out is horrible, but the arenas are fabulous (2 indoors and 1 outdoor, all of them huge). Good variety of jumps. Some trails, but a bit scary for some horses as they go through housing developments with screaming kids and dogs everywhere.

Training is 6 days a week. It can be any combination of training rides or lessons. I lesson just about every day because I have two horses and alternate which days I ride each. He arranges farrier and vet services.

Does not include show fees. I do get some discounts for being in training and having two horses on the payroll. For instance, my trainer does not charge me for schooling either my horse or me or for pro rides in the open divisions at the shows. My trainer has VERY reasonable day fees - $50. Can't beat that.

I'm on the West coast in the high-rent district. I should mention that these fees are pretty darn reasonable considering where I live. I've heard of some show barns/trainers charging as much as $1000 for board and $800 for training. YIKES!

Comment

I was paying about $2,000 a month in the San Francisco Bay Area. Full service with BNT. Everything was included except showing.

Comment

I live in the northeast - an area full of BNTs. Just got a rate sheet from one that is nearby, maybe ten minutes from my house. Gorgeous facility, several BNTs (one international/olympic level, the other well known for producing horses and riders on the national/HOTY level.)

Full board is $2000/mo plus a "supply fee" which varies between $200-300 per month in addition. You know, for all that expensive stuff like fly spray, hoof oil...

Training is $100 per lesson; the expectation is a minimum of 2 lessons per week. I figure you'd have to budget somewhere around $3k a month at home per horse.

Oh and yes - their barn is full.
                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

My monthly training is $650 which includes full board. Most trainers in my area are betwee $600 and $800 per month.
                      www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

I pay $1,000/mo. The break-down tends to change from invoice to invoice (i.e., how they allocate among supplies/training/board isn't always the same). But, in general, it's around $510 for board (box stall w/ overnight turnout), $350 for training (3 lessons and 2 pro rides per week), $80 for grooming and $80 for supplies.

Show fees are extra. $65/day trainer fees, $55/day groom fees, plus expenses.

I am in central california.

Comment

I'm in Denver.

850 board (includes turnout, hay 3X day, strongid)
                          400 training (pro-rated according to how much the horse is ridden)
                          50 each for lessons
                          300 for full grooming

I <3 my trainer but it is expensive to ride here!
                          * Sunny * Ella (2006 filly) * Tank (2008 colt)*

Comment

At my barn, board is $425, for matted stalls, feed, hay, excellent turnout, blanketing, laundry, arranging vet/farrier visits, etc.
                            Full training is $800 for 6 rides or lessons a week, and partial training is $400 for 3 rides or lessons a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny's Mom View Post
                              I'm in Denver.

850 board (includes turnout, hay 3X day, strongid)
                              400 training (pro-rated according to how much the horse is ridden)
                              50 each for lessons
                              300 for full grooming

I <3 my trainer but it is expensive to ride here!
                              $300 a month for everyday grooming? Can't you groom yourself and cut that charge off?

Curious about the "other supply fee" that some of you pay... can't you get your own hoof liquid, fly prays and necesities that your horse needs?

Comment

I'll be interested to see what Sunny's mom says.

A barn I was considering a few years back charged monthly grooming and supply fees. These were non-negotiable, required fees. I did not board there as the monthly bill was more than double the competition.
                                Last edited by SkipChange; Sep. 18, 2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozone View Post
                                  $300 a month for everyday grooming? Can't you groom yourself and cut that charge off?

Curious about the "other supply fee" that some of you pay... can't you get your own hoof liquid, fly prays and necesities that your horse needs?
                                  Most people can and certainly do buy their own supplies, but in a lot of show/training barns, grooming service is not optional. The argument is that the appearance of the horses reflect on the barn, and they want to ensure that the horses are turned out to the barn's/trainer's standard.

My horse has lived in full care situations from time to time. I liked knowing he would get attention and a thorough grooming daily whether I could get to the barn or not. It was peace of mind for me when I was traveling for work, for example. On the days I was able to get there to ride, I generally groomed and tacked my horse, using my own supplies.

I actually pride myself on my grooming skills and enjoy the time I spend on the ground with my horse... but it didn't mean I got a break on my bills.
                                  We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                  -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I love my trainer. I love my trainer. I love my trainer.

$375/ month board ( seperate BO)
                                    $100/ month training + 64 stalls a month= 3 lessons a week

That includes- hay, grain, shavings, hold for farrier/vet/chirro, and blanket changes (need to call, they won't auto do it)

Generally my trainer will help tack up your horse if you are running late - or one of the other girls in the barn are willing to help out.

Doesn't include shows, but it's $50/ day at a show, and she will help you with whatever you need - ie clean that stall, tack up, untack, braid whatever. I trailer myself..

Mind you I have done a lot for my trainer from advertising, help selling horses, and teaching lessons.
                                    My BO is a sane business women that knows her way around horses. I cannot say enough of her.
                                    My trainer is awesome working with problem horses/riders, knows when to push you and when not to.I have done a lot of work for her over the years, which is one of the reasons why it's so cheap. Not to mention I have brought her a lot of students. But she is excellent and she totally knows what she is talking about. She is primarily an eventer but will go to any show you ask her to. Lately she has/will be gone to shows from everything to an event, IHSA, 'A' rated show, to schooling shows. I lofff her. <3

This is not standard for the area by any means. $450-$600 you are paying for nicer looking barn/worse care. and one lesson is usually around $40-70 a pop.

This tread reminds me that I need to give my trainer a big big hug today and never complain when I have to do an extra stall or two!

Comment

Usually a flat $1500/month, which includes everything; turn out, automatic fly sprays, fans, blanketing, wrapping, etc.

Comment

I am in Denver and am currently "shopping"...I have found that board rates are pretty consistently between 800-900 (includes cleaning, feeding, turn out) and training on top of that is 600-650 (15-20 contacts a month, which can be training rides or lessons). It's really expensive here....but we have lots of big shows close by which reduces showing travel expenses (justifying). :-)
                                        www.tiernanmckay.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X