• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tack store hours - ERRRR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tack store hours - ERRRR

I should've called. I admit it. BUT who thought that a store that caters to folks' hobbies would be closed on Labor day?!? Unfortunately, I didn't, so drove the 45 minutes to go get DD a new helmet, only to be taunted by all the pretty stuff on the other side of the locked doors. We called the other and they were closed, too.

I was ready to shop - new helmet and gloves & possibly coat and saddle for DD, new saddle pad for me, who knows what else. My friend who went with me was looking for a new saddle and stuff for their new horse, as well as new breeches, gloves & shirt for her daughter. Needless to say, we could've covered their costs and then some today.

We have a show next weekend, so it isn't like I can order this and be sure it will be here on time. Sigh. Guess I'll have to take off early the ONE day I can this week and go back.

What did you guys do this weekend?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Wow, I sure wish I would have had a chance to go to the tack store this weekend (even if it was closed!). Just kidding... Only if it was open.
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

My local tack store closes at 6 tues - thurs, is closed on mondays and sundays, and closes at 4pm on Saturday.
      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree! Ours is open 10-5 Monday-Saturday and 12-4, kind of hard to get out on a weekday with school/work!

My guess though? They close early so they have time to go ride their own horses!
        Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
        Like us on Facebook!

Comment

I know we are showing this weekend and I need a BUNCH of stuff, some of it Dd needs to try on but she is in school the rest of the week!! I was hoping they were open today but of course not!!! It just frustrating, and "local" for us is about an hour away!
          Kim
          If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

I feel your pain! Drove by a shop I had only dreamed about on our way home from a cross country excursion and it was CLOSED!! Sigh. Seriously they have 24 hour mini-marts, they need 24 hour tack stores. It's a necessity.

Comment

I used to have the perfect setup with my favorite tack store. While they were only open during the most inconvenient of hours for a full time college student who lived an hour and a half away, the owner trained at the same barn as I. So when I needed something, I paid her over the phone with my debit card, and she dropped my purchase off for me to pick up when I came in for my weekend lesson. When I needed to try different sizes (for me or horsey) she would leave a few different sizes at the barn and I took home what worked. Sigh...I miss the good ole days.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter DQ View Post
                I used to have the perfect setup with my favorite tack store. While they were only open during the most inconvenient of hours for a full time college student who lived an hour and a half away, the owner trained at the same barn as I. So when I needed something, I paid her over the phone with my debit card, and she dropped my purchase off for me to pick up when I came in for my weekend lesson. When I needed to try different sizes (for me or horsey) she would leave a few different sizes at the barn and I took home what worked. Sigh...I miss the good ole days.
                that is sweet LOL!!!
                Kim
                If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

24 hour tack shop. hhhmmmm. and what drunk fools would i get to deal with at 3 a.m.??? my tack shop is open 4 days 10 -6 and 2 days 10-8. we've tried opening at 9 and staying open later until 9. unfortunately it didn't work. ended up costing me more than we sold.

there are a lot of shops that don't take it seriously and are only open a few hours a day. we're open 52 hours per week. how many hours per week does the average american work??? 40?

but don't we deserve a day off? you obviously had the day off.
                  www.thehuntinghorn.com

Comment

Both of my local tack shops were closed all weekend, but the tack shop near my retiree had a Labor Day sale and was open all 3 days. I visited Sunday and picked up a few things. It was more packed than I've ever seen it before. Maybe more tack shops should pick up on the idea and bring in some business.

Comment

Originally posted by shedllybip View Post
                      24 hour tack shop. hhhmmmm. and what drunk fools would i get to deal with at 3 a.m.??? my tack shop is open 4 days 10 -6 and 2 days 10-8. we've tried opening at 9 and staying open later until 9. unfortunately it didn't work. ended up costing me more than we sold.

there are a lot of shops that don't take it seriously and are only open a few hours a day. we're open 52 hours per week. how many hours per week does the average american work??? 40?

I would die of happiness if there was a tack store near me open until 8. They all close around 5.
                      I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

• Original Poster

The store I usually go to is open 10-5 Monday - Saturday. It is just hard because I don't get off until at least 3:30, and live 45 minutes away if I leave from work. I'd love it if they were open until 8 at least one weeknight, even if they opened later that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Mom View Post
                          I was ready to shop - new helmet and gloves & possibly coat and saddle for DD, new saddle pad for me, who knows what else. My friend who went with me was looking for a new saddle and stuff for their new horse, as well as new breeches, gloves & shirt for her daughter. Needless to say, we could've covered their costs and then some today.

Don't you DARE go buy all that stuff locally this week! Beg, borrow, or steal enough for next week's show. But don't BUY! In 2 weeks CM has their big annual sale - everything in the shop on a % discount, and a lot of stuff moved out into the arena at a %%% discount. They'll open at 10:30 on Saturday. If you want to park in the lot rather than down the hill on the road, get there before 10:15. If you want to get one of the %%%-off saddles, get there at 10 and be close to the door. Go straight into the arena; the super-sale saddles are usually towards the back, in the middle.

Other than that: I agree completely. When Sunday is my only day to get up to the city to shop, my only option is to buy on-line even when I'd rather support a local business (and have the ability to try stuff on).
                          Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Quin View Post
                            Don't you DARE go buy all that stuff locally this week! Beg, borrow, or steal enough for next week's show. But don't BUY! In 2 weeks CM has their big annual sale - everything in the shop on a % discount, and a lot of stuff moved out into the arena at a %%% discount. They'll open at 10:30 on Saturday. If you want to park in the lot rather than down the hill on the road, get there before 10:15. If you want to get one of the %%%-off saddles, get there at 10 and be close to the door. Go straight into the arena; the super-sale saddles are usually towards the back, in the middle.

Other than that: I agree completely. When Sunday is my only day to get up to the city to shop, my only option is to buy on-line even when I'd rather support a local business (and have the ability to try stuff on).
                            It is??? Thanks for saving me! I always say things happen for a reason - now I know why I didn't get to spend $$$$$ today. We're going to be in Lawrence anyhow tagging monarchs that Saturday, so will plan on going up then instead. I L-O-V-E their big sale. I spend way too much money there, though. Is it 10% off everything? I will be writing that in my calendar for sure. I assume you're going? Maybe we'll have to meet up. Now to make my new, ammended, list. Winter blanket for Mare, shipping boots, new breeches for me, new...

You do know that Horse Hardware is not only closer to you but open Sundays, don't you? Not to mention Jalapenos is next door. YUM!

Comment

If it's the same as in years past, everything in the store is 10% off. Everything in the lounge and the arena is better than that, but quantities/sizes/etc are limited. Dates/times are posted on their web site.

I expect to be there with DD, who badly needs new paddock boots, and possibly with DH as well. We ought to be in a lesson at 9 am, which means not leaving trainer's barn (south of KC) until maybe 10:30, so not getting there until at least 11. We're not shopping for a saddle this year so it should be OK. Or maybe we'll find a way to lesson on Friday and shop Saturday......Sure; love to meet up with you.

I really need to drag out the winter blankets and see who needs what, but there's usually a decent stock of those - at least the first day. Unless they hold stuff back, the pickings must be pretty slim by Sunday.

HH isn't much closer to me - I don't even live in Johnson County, LOL. I'm closest to I-35. I used to get over to HH for the consignment rack, but CM is so much bigger now.....MANY more ways to spend $ there.
                              Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Quin View Post
                                If it's the same as in years past, everything in the store is 10% off. Everything in the lounge and the arena is better than that, but quantities/sizes/etc are limited. Dates/times are posted on their web site.

I expect to be there with DD, who badly needs new paddock boots, and possibly with DH as well. We ought to be in a lesson at 9 am, which means not leaving trainer's barn (south of KC) until maybe 10:30, so not getting there until at least 11. We're not shopping for a saddle this year so it should be OK. Or maybe we'll find a way to lesson on Friday and shop Saturday......Sure; love to meet up with you.

I really need to drag out the winter blankets and see who needs what, but there's usually a decent stock of those - at least the first day. Unless they hold stuff back, the pickings must be pretty slim by Sunday.

HH isn't much closer to me - I don't even live in Johnson County, LOL. I'm closest to I-35. I used to get over to HH for the consignment rack, but CM is so much bigger now.....MANY more ways to spend $ there.
                                That reminds me - I need to get Emma's winter blanket to Kept Horse for repair. I think I can get one more winter out of it.

I'm not sure when we'll be going over. We may go after lessons. I may call Bob and see if there are any new used saddles in their stock for now, to decide if it is worth going over early for. We usually make it a road-trip, and hit HH after, along with lunch while we're there.

Comment

52 hours per week isn't bad as you said, as long as there's one weekend day that you're open. Because around here, there are precious few tack shops located in areas where most people work - i.e., downtown or close to downtown. The rest are at least an hour from town in more "horsey" areas, and seem totally dumbfounded when the working world can't get there between their convenient hours of 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.

Ideally, they'd be open on the weekends and closed Monday or Tuesday or something. I can't tell you how many times I've needed something on a Sunday, when I'm off work and available to drive far to get what I need, only to have them be closed.

Some then compensate by staying open later one night per week, til 8 or 9, and that's pretty helpful.
                                  ---
                                  They're small hearts.

Comment

I agree with the day off thing. Im pretty sure everyone would like to have a holiday off. I would never expect anything but grocery stores and gas stations to be open on holidays.

Comment

Ours is always closed on holidays, including Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc... They are open seven days a week though and it's about a minute from my house People at the barn used to ask us to grab stuff on our way by
                                      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                                      For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                                      www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

I hate you all. At least you HAVE tack shops that can have hours -- be they inconvenient or not.

There is NOTHING near Madison. NOTHING. I have to do all my shopping at tack trailers on show grounds, online, or by calling The Farmhouse and making them do my personal shopping for me. I would KILL (almost literally...) for a tack shop anywhere near me! And I would be very generous with the "near" part.
                                        Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                                        Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Working...
                                        X