• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Go for the long spot or hold to the deep?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go for the long spot or hold to the deep?

Now I know that it depends on the horse, depends on the situation, depends on what you intend to do after that jump, etc. But I was curious about opinions on this subject. Ideally I'll take the perfect spot to every jump, ha I wish I was that good to find it every time! I have discussed this with my trainer but I just wanted to hear more on the subject. Thanks!

Oxer--would you rather hold for the deep or roll to the long spot?
    Vertical--same question

Do you ride an oxer differently than a vertical?

*I ask this question with 3'6" jumper fences in mind with a true vertical (no brush or boxes out front) and a pretty good spread to the oxer. What do you think is the better spot to keep the rails up?

You're always better off with a deep spot than a long one. Especially with oxers. Long spots are dangerous, and become more so the higher (and wider) the fences get.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Comment

Deep spot. Especially on the more adjustable horses. I always find it better to wait.

Comment

Deep spot but for some reason only find the long one.......

Comment

I am always better off w the deep spot. My horse jumps better from this spot. A lot of horses tend to get flat from the long spot, while the deep one allows them to curl up & over.

ETA, honestly, I don't ride an oxer and a vertical much differently, my horse is scopey and can take care of it - but maybe I'll hold him off of the vertical just a bit more.

Comment

Despite my screen name, I'll take the deep spot please.
            "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Despite terrible photographic evidence to the contrary (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27964...69198992GVJmsP), I prefer to hold for the deep spot.
              Here today, gone tomorrow...

Comment

Always hold for the deep. Better deep with impulsion then long and weak.

In terms of oxers and verticals...I'm a jumper rider so I always looks for that deep, right to the base spot at verticals and a nice ride to the base at oxers as well but not as close as verticals unless there is some reason to (ie: tight turn on landing, very short combination or whatever).

I remember riding with GM when I was just making the transition to jumpers and having to circle continuously over a vertical while he kept telling me to get deeper and deeper. I was at the point where it felt like a chip and he wanted me to add ANOTHER stride! Took me a while to get the hang of how to correctly ride that distance. Thank god I was lucky enough to move up on a saint of a packer with scope to spare.

Comment

Deep Spot! During lessons my trainer would have me practice jumping from the deep spots. My horse preferred deep spots as well! I always felt that i would be much safer to hold to the deep than to try and jump a large fence from a long spot.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, I have always been taught that the deep spot is the safe bet. In a recent lesson trainer encouraged me to hold him extra deep to the verticals with a more "up" canter and, not necessarily take a long spot to oxers, but have a more open, rolling step to them. A super long spot to an oxer I might worry about clearing the back rail but I think she just wanted more power and a confident step to the big oxer since horse is quite green. We're still figuring each other out--he used to be want to leave long but now he really listens to me to tell him when to leave. Which means I better have an answer for him!

Love your pic frenchfrytheeqhorse so I'll add one...

I'm not talking mega long like this...
                    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1293060230
                    Don't worry
                    (Pic above is my friend in 3'6" jumpers on a mare with...attitude.)

Originally posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post
                    Always hold for the deep. Better deep with impulsion then long and weak.

In terms of oxers and verticals...I'm a jumper rider so I always looks for that deep, right to the base spot at verticals and a nice ride to the base at oxers as well but not as close as verticals unless there is some reason to (ie: tight turn on landing, very short combination or whatever).
                    I think this is what the trainer was going for, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipChange View Post
                      Don't worry

Holy crap! It looks like they made it from the comments below the pic but good lord!

Comment

Originally posted by SkipChange View Post
                        Thanks, I have always been taught that the deep spot is the safe bet. In a recent lesson trainer encouraged me to hold him extra deep to the verticals with a more "up" canter and, not necessarily take a long spot to oxers, but have a more open, rolling step to them. A super long spot to an oxer I might worry about clearing the back rail but I think she just wanted more power and a confident step to the big oxer since horse is quite green. We're still figuring each other out--he used to be want to leave long but now he really listens to me to tell him when to leave. Which means I better have an answer for him!

Love your pic frenchfrytheeqhorse so I'll add one...

Don't worry

I think this is what the trainer was going for, thanks.

Oh my goodness! There is easily room for another full stride in that picture!
                        "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

It sounds like your trainer wants you to ride him forward to the deep spot to the oxers. You can get to a deep spot in different ways. Riding forward with power to the deep will help teach him to jump off his back end and get his front legs out of the way better. Riding him backwards and weak to the deep could land you on the back rail. I've done it both ways, so I hope this helps!

Comment

Holy sweet shizzle, y'all left from last week!
                            The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                            Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                            Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                            The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Deep, deep and deep. A long distance to an oxer is especially dangerous.

Comment

Wow, that second picture is insane!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. The picture is not of me or my horse. The horse had serious game and the kid was brave. Obviously there were some training issues going on, she did manage to clear it but I would not try to replicate that! Lucky for me my horse has a great sense of humor and enough scope to take care of me, but I don't think HE ever takes off quite THAT long.

Comment

Wow that is quite a photo!

I cringe when I hear "hold" to the deep one, I hope you mean and are thinking "wait" for the deep one.

When you hold your horse you are restricting the use of his front end (head and neck) and are loosing his ability to carry his hind end forward underneath him.

If you want to successfully ask him to shorten his stride and wait with you for the deep one, then you have to close your hands and release with the rhythm of the canter stride.

I'm sure guys already know this.
                                    http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
                                      Wow that is quite a photo!

I cringe when I hear "hold" to the deep one, I hope you mean and are thinking "wait" for the deep one.

When you hold your horse you are restricting the use of his front end (head and neck) and are loosing his ability to carry his hind end forward underneath him.

If you want to successfully ask him to shorten his stride and wait with you for the deep one, then you have to close your hands and release with the rhythm of the canter stride.

I'm sure guys already know this.
                                      Thank you for this. This wording and strategy is certainly more correct. Perhaps this explains the difference between our weak deep spots and our strong, smooth deep spots. When I say hold I don't mean just with my hand, he is quite responsive to shortening cues from my seat and body as well. However this responsiveness is a relatively recent development and I'm still getting a feel for how much is too much/not enough and how much is perfect. The concept you suggest is certainly not something new but obviously I haven't been actively thinking about it. I'm young (19) and a sophomore in college so I like to be reminded about good ideas like this frequently, so thanks!

One eventing clinician I rode with made anyone who made a mistake to stop and say, "I'm a teenager and I forgot to think." I'm pretty sure even adults were made to say this! But I definitely confess that I'm still a teenager and I still forget to think.

Comment

I got a pretty good trainer and big "R" judge. Her mantra in lessons when no distance is there or the rider needs a map to find one is "the chip is your friend. The chip is your friend". As opposed to the old "when in doubt, leave it out".

To the point of working with the advanced kids on very low jumps over and over to find that deep spot and get the horse willing to add one in there, chip, off a bad spot. With the jumps in the dreaded circle of death. That one can get ugly.

Of course, you get that by managing the canter properly. That's the point. Strong position and stride management on a horse willing to listen which, in the Jumpers, is tough. Not so easy in the Hunters either.

Even in the Hunters there is a difference between leaving a gap and leaving long and you do not want long. So you school to where they are willing to wait and you are willing to wait and then you can soften when you do see that gap.

I think the answewr to leaving long or short when you miss is answered for anybody who has ever flipped one. Or seen a bad one.
                                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X