• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hunter stallion critique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter stallion critique

nevermind
    Last edited by Miss Behave'n; Sep. 2, 2009, 07:03 PM.

That's a hefty list! I don't really know much about breeding at all but I seem to recall hearing that grey+chestnut could likely = grey foal. Don't quote me on it though. Good luck picking one!
    Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
    Like us on Facebook!

Comment

• Original Poster

nevermind
      Last edited by Miss Behave'n; Sep. 2, 2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

That Black Tie looks like the Black Tie at our barn
        http://i32.tinypic.com/dm67ms.png
        So weird!

Comment

It looks like you are off to a great start. You certainly have a lot of nice stallions to choose from.
          I had a Escapade foal this year and she is everything and more than I hoped for. She is super easy to work with and just loves people.
          Good luck choosing a stallion for your girl. This is the fun part.
          Here are a few pics of our girl.
          http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...0260_98790260/
          This is her a 1 1/2 months
          1 month
          1 week
          Worth A Shot Farm
          Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
          Visit our Website
          Join us on Facebook
          Watch us on Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Behave'n View Post
            For those of you who dont know Roxy is my mare, she is a 16hh chestnut Oldenburg.
            In a lot fo these pictures PLEASE excuse her condition i know that she was severly under muscles that was because we were with the wrong trainer at the wrong time.

i would like to be breeding Roxy in '11 (as of right now, would depend of situation) for a '12 baby. By then she will most likely be ready to be a long stirrup horse to pack around some kid that wants to give her lots of kisses and win in the show ring. By then i will be working and driving, and im the type of person that if there is a goal that i want to set, it will work everyday of my life if i have to. So no comments on that will be needed.

Roxy is definitely a hunter girl. Although she has done some of the eq. medals and done very well, placing in the top 3. But for the baby i will be looking for a 100% hunter. Im not going to be worried about something that can do everything, just hunters and keep in mind im looking for something for the "A" circuit.
            What im looking for in the stud is mainly to pull out some of roxys conformation flaws. I would like something that is a nice build but not something that is super thick. Roxy has a very big build so something that is a bit more refined wouldnt be a downer especially a nice elegant neck. I also am going to be very careful about legs. Roxy has shorter legs then what i would like to see in the baby, so a stud with long legs would be a huge plus . Roxy does have a very nice head, hip and back/withers. So i think my main goal would be a stud with a little bit more refined build, not so much TB build but just not something that's a cow and something with nice long legs. I am generally looking for a warmblood rather than TB.

Now what i would love love love, is lots of chrome. Im a sucker for white socks and some white on the face. Im more geared towards the chestnuts, blacks and then bays. Im not a fan of greys but i will take a look if you have any in mind. Something over 16.1hh .. i know its stupid to make fuss but it does make a difference. Roxy is 16hh and i would love something i smidge bigger. But again there are exceptions.
            i think that is it.

Now the studs. Here are some that i have looked at and have on my list that i like. I also have my comments above the link. The decision is going to take me forever. Im looking for a stud fee of $2500 and under.

Not all of these am i even considering just throwing out there that i have looked at them

of course, first one that comes to mind is Popeye K. Would die for the flashy socks and jump but i would be worried because he seems to have a little bit of a short neck and he does seem to throw that to his babies. Then i also dont know if its the effect of all the white on his legs, and its playing games with my eyes but im not a fan of his trot which again i heard his does throw a ugly trot once in a while, its not as flowy as i would like. His canter is nice and his jump is gorgeous! So im going back and forth on what i think about him.

Paparazzo
            Again i would be a little bit worried about the neck, it's pretty short and not very elegant at all. Although i do love his jump and even though he doesnt have a ton of chrome there is something that catches my eye. I also wasnt a huge fan of his trot or canter, his walk though was fairly nice, and over fences he was amazing.
            http://www.onthebitfarm.com/paprazzo.htm
            http://www.hanoverian.org/artman2/uploa ... arazzo.jpg

Don Alfredo
            I like his neck and shouler a lot more than i do Paparazzo but his cannon bones are short and that is a big blow for me because that is what i will be hoping the baby does not pick up. I love him over fences, he has a lovely flowly hunter canter and his trot, i didnt see a lot of but also looked nice. He's also got nice hind socks and he;s a chestnut which for some reason chestnuts have grown on me. But i just dont think i could breed him with his cannon bones being so short.

Cunningham
            I love this guys conformation. his neck is a little bit more elegany than most of the hunter studs, cute head, nice hip, nice legs. What i dont like is that he is grey. Im not sure ow coloring works but i'dbe praying i dont end up with a grey baby haha. As far as movement goes, i do like his canter and over fences. I've yet to see his trot. Overall though he is one of the studs that i do like

Carbardino
            I think he has a fantastic jump but he's definitely not a hack winner and im not sure if i have a mare that is already good on the flat, why should a get a stud that isnt going to make it better and if anything make it less than what i want. His trot isnt horrible but its his canter that really bothers me. So im not sure about him. Over fences he is amazing and i also do like him conformation wise

Red Wine
            Im soo dissappointed. I really like this stud. But because he has a EVA virus its a no go for me. He is really thick and doesnt have the greatest hind end but i just lovee his flashiness.

Escapade
            Gorgeous stud! I really like his legs, neck and head but his hip isnt the best. He is super cute on the flat and over fences so i really like that he has everything going for him. Definitely one im going to consider and keep in mind

This shows his neck a little better but his hind end is ickkk. Im guessing this is from when he was younger

Here his neck looks a little bit thicker and not as elegant but his hind end looks mucchh better

He is younger so it should be interesting to see how he turns out when he gets older and more experienced

Davignport
            absolutely phenominal mover. I couldnt take my eyes off of him! Stunning neck and head and great conformation all around. Only downer is that he is only 16.1, its not a bad thing and i dont shy away from it but even though its good i would have been IN love in he was a little bit taller. Also, he isnt a hunter or jumper he is a dressage horse so that would worry me. But seeing videos of his offspring he throws some amazing hunter horses and they have all been succesful. He has a huge, springy, flowy trot and his canter is amazing. But again he has a free jumping picture but there's nothing stateing that im going to get a nice looking horse over fences.
            i do love this guy though. gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous

Bonfeuer
            Lovely all around horse. He's got the movement and jump which are all very nice for the hunter ring. But his conformation just doesnt do if for me from the picture i have, plus he's a grey which i dont like

whoever took this picture shouldnt be in the business

Lissabon
            oh my god. he is to die for. They dont have a video, all they have is a couple over fences pictures which he looks amazing over. He looks to have nice conformation im just wondering how he looks on the flat.

Apiro
            Gorgeous. I love him. His neck is a little short but he's got a nice head, nice hip and super cute head. I love him under saddle, he's got a lot of chrome and catches your eye and is lovely over fences. Great expression.
            Definitely one that im keeping in mind.

His neck actually looks really nice here

Amoreux
            can you talk about LEGS. holy moly. He is very refined which typicaly i would not like but i feel like with roxy that could come out to be a good thing because is built so big. From the very short part of the video that wasnt in freakin slow motion he seemed to have very nice movement. He didnt hae a lot of knee action as i though he would. But i couldnt tell a lot since it was like 3 seconds long. They also dont give a confo shot and there isnt a picture of him over fences

Aloha
            Oh he is so cute. His neck is a little short and not as elegant as i would like.
            He's really cut over fences but im not sure what i think about him on the flat ..?

Ragtime
            I think he is super cute. He is very extreme over fences and has a nice trot. His canter im not crazy about though. There also isnt a conformation shot.

Pasalongo
            He might be a bit to thick for what im looking for but it is hard to tell. Trot im not a fan of, canter is ok and he seems to look nice over fences but i dont like his approach

Black Tie
            I think he is really cute. I would need to see more of him. I also dont know if im a face of his neck for my mare.

As Always
            i cant find any info. on him. does anyone know where i can?

Dumont
            How cute is he?? His neck would worry me with my mare though. He's cute over fences, nothing spectacular but there isnt a video of him on the flat.

Ok so comments, more to add etc. ?
            sorry if i got off topic in a few places
            Interesting observations. You have done your homework. Good Luck in your decision, and I think you have done a great job of narrowing it down. BUT... you may also want to consider

Just The Best, More Than Luck, A Fine Romance, & Edison
            ~ Bill Rube ~
            http://www.bydesignfarm.com
            Check us out on Facebook

Comment

You can't really tell much about your mare from your pictures. Try to get some better conformation shots, without bandages and with just a halter or bridle w/out flash. Be sure to take some from front and behind, too.

There is a little known stallion here in VA, Nob Hill, that we have had great luck with, and have liked nearly all of his kids that we have seen. He ALWAYS does an elegant neck, good movement, correct legs, nice temperaments (although he himself had a rep for being tough, his kids are as sweet as can be). He does a reasonable amount of chrome, ususally. And his nicest kids so far have come out of a VERY heavy, but beautiful, Alla Czar mare.

We have a 2 y.o. colt and his yearling full brother, both bright chestnuts with plenty of white. The 2 y.o. was reserve BYH at Devon this year, a lovely mover and easy to deal with. Little brother is following in his footsteps. We have seen this year's brother, who turned out plain bay, and another chestnut colt bred by someone else that we covet. Very consistent quality.

http://www.nokomisfarm.us/
              Laurie

Comment

You really should post this in the Sport Horse Breeding Forum......Those guys really know their stuff. They love to play matchmaker! Good luck, lovely mare!

Comment

As far as grey goes, progressive grey (all grey horses are born another color, mine chestnut with two hind white socks and a stripe and snip) is the most dominant color gene. So, if you breed a grey horse, you have at least a 50% chance of getting a foal that will eventually turn grey. If one of the horses is homozygous for grey, such as Fuerst Gotthard, all of the foals will eventually grey. I love a nice grey horse. It is unfortunate that they fade as they get older (progressive grey), so what you start out with is not how they stay. My older mare (dam of the youngster) was a lovley dappled grey with dark points on her hocks and knees, two hind socks, a star, stripe, and snip, and fabulous bright white mane and tail when I bought her at 5. At 20, she is completely white with a few flea bites. She's still lovley, though, just not so flashy as she once was. Her daughter, at 5 is still working her way from chestnut to grey, but is getting pretty light. She has been some lovely rose grey colors in between. People have always said how much they loved her color, unfortunately it is leaving. I am still left with a lovley mare that moves good and jumps fabulous and has the best temperament and that's way more important than color.

Comment

What I think is funny is you don't mention the bloodlines of your mare or the stallions! 50% of my research includes looking at the registries and bloodlines of the stallion in relation to my mare.

IMO there's more to choosing a stallion than oh....pretty. You want something that is the right type and bloodlines for your particular mare.
                    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

You may also want to look at the stallion "Richard" (US show name Decadent, European show name Ravanalli). He will be standing to outside mares in 2010 and was fully approved for breeding by the BWP this fall. He was the first stallion approved with the new Hunter Label with the BWP. Semen quality is excellent.

He is quite lovely -- black with tons of chrome. He has been shown in the hunter ring and the Grand Prix show jumping ring. He is producing both hunters and jumpers. I have two of his fillies on my farm and they have fantastic personalities.

www.theequineathlete.net
                      Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
                      Website
                      and Facebook page
                      Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
                      Website and Facebook page

Comment

I'm really an Apiro fan...
                        Friend of bar.ka

Comment

If I had 1 mare and was breeding for myself I would probably shy away from breeding to a stallion without foals going under saddle. A stallion can be wonderful but his progeny does not inherit it and vice versa you can have a stallion like Nob Hill who himself has a reputation for being a little tuff but his progeny is proving to be very easy.

Also just because a stallion is not showing or has shown as a hunter means very little. Most imports obviously have parents that are either dressage horses or jumpers. There are lines that have tendency to throw hunters and people that do a lot of importing look for those. Peopel that import/buy/and sell are a wonderful resource!
                          www.signaturesporthorses.com

Comment

You should STRONGLY consider Just The Best!!!!!!
                            Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Comment

Not a WB and I know you were not particularly looking for a tb, but Sneak Preview is a wonderful stallion that sires foals that move fantastic, jump great, and puts a great head and neck on them.

Comment

• Original Poster

nevermind

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Behave'n
                                  Andrew - thanks, i did look at him and personally he didnt do much for me. He is a little too plain for me.

I don't know what pictures you're looking at, but Just The Best is FAR from "plain". Seems to me you are picking white markings over performance.
                                  As a matter of fact, several on your list look "plain" (meaning not much white).

My JTB foal this year has a lovely blaze and four whites. The dam has a blaze and one pastern sock.
                                  Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse & Jennifer Oliver Equine Insurance Specialist

Comment

You might not find Perfect Pony's post helpful, but consider that the people you are asking to help you do not know your mare. Information about her bloodlines might tell people that are familiar with those lines more about her, and thus they would be able to give a more informed opinion on what stallion might suit her best.

A couple of things to add to your comments though. Cunningham is not a hacker, if that's something you're looking for. Also, Cabardino is a small horse and might not give you the height you are looking for. I love Popeye, but on a smaller, heavier built mare I don't think you'd get enough added height to make up for the build.

Comment

• Original Poster

nevermind

Comment

• Original Poster

nevermind
                                        Last edited by Miss Behave'n; Sep. 2, 2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X