• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Good Open-Fronts that won't break the bank?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Open-Fronts that won't break the bank?

At the show last weekend, I realized that it really is time to replace my old Weatherbeeta open-front and hind boots... the elastic is just too far gone on them. They served me well (I've had them for seven years, I think), and had a nice, basic style, but I think I would like to step up appearance-wise with new ones, without breaking the bank. Ideally, I would love to get some T-Boots, but they're just not in the budget right now.

What are some nice, durable open-fronts that won't bankrupt me? Availability of matching hinds/fetlock boots a plus. Black is good, unless leather (then I'll do brown).

What do we think of the Moxie boots?

Thanks!

ETA - No sheepskin
    If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

What about the Thinline ones? They're a little cheaper than the T-boots, I think.
    http://tailsoftheottb.blogspot.com

Comment

You have a pm.
      "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

There's always Eskadrons, they're popular. I've still got a pair in excellent condition--5 years old, although I did purchase T-boots this summer

My friend swears the Dover generic looking open fronts are great, although I have no personal experience with them. The price sure looks good.
        http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-p...-04232/cn/119/

Comment

Classic Equine?

Hi. I just got boots at State Line Tack that were on sale for $20 by Classic Equine. They're waxy leather (???). I've never used them before but thought I'd try them because they seem pretty cheap.

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/cl...ots/SLT722836/

They also have fetlock boots ($20) and brushing boots ($25) on sale as well.

It's too bad that I won't be getting these for at least a week so I could tell you whether or not I like the quality.

Comment

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Roma Competitor Packs. It's a set of open fronts and a set of open front ankles for under $50.00. Love them!

Comment

Originally posted by SkipChange View Post

My friend swears the Dover generic looking open fronts are great, although I have no personal experience with them. The price sure looks good.
              http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-p...-04232/cn/119/
              I have those, and they are quite good for the money, I agree! Nice and soft inside, and have molded nicely to his legs. I just want a set of T boots for the sake of having T boots! I like the idea of the molded foam.
              http://tailsoftheottb.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Little Indian View Post
                I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Roma Competitor Packs. It's a set of open fronts and a set of open front ankles for under $50.00. Love them!
                Do you have a link? I have the open fronts, and I need the ankle boots. I was just going to go with the Dover ones linked above, since they look similar.

I love my Roma open fronts. Great fit, secure velcro, hard plastic outside, easy to clean, just hose them off. And I think they were 20 bucks.

Comment

I have two sets of Romas one in purple and one black and I love them.
                  If you just need the fetlock boots you can get them pretty inexpensivly at a few places, but here is one link:

http://www.victorycanter.com/Roma-Ne...s-p-21857.html

They also have the open fronts:

http://www.victorycanter.com/Roma-Ne...s-p-21856.html

There is a gel and a fleece lined version as well as a ventilated version for a little more but still less than eskadrons. They also come in full sets from some places (fronts and ankles) for a dollar or two less than buying them seperate sometimes, but I didn't find it to be that different. I really like mine as they molded to my horse after a few rides and they clean off easily with just warm water and a little scrubbing. They were also the only open fronts I could find that came in purple other than the bar f (which are fleece lined and I wasn't totally crazy about that) which cost a bit more. ( having all my schooling things be purple is part of how people tell my things apart from everyone else's at my barn) I then use the black ones when I am feeling less obnoxious color-wise or for shows (some jumper shows I still use the purple ones....just depends).
                  Last edited by myvanya; Sep. 1, 2009, 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
                  My blog:

RAWR

Comment

I have Moxie opent fronts and hind ankle boots. I like them, and they seem to be made well. I will say, though, I wasn't "wowed" by them for the price. They also seem to run on the large side.

Had I known about the Roma full set for $50, I'd probably have gone with them.

Comment

Originally posted by myvanya View Post
                      I have two sets of Romas one in purple and one black and I love them.
                      If you just need the fetlock boots you can get them pretty inexpensivly at a few places, but here is one link:

http://www.victorycanter.com/Roma-Ne...s-p-21857.html

They also have the open fronts:

http://www.victorycanter.com/Roma-Ne...s-p-21856.html

There is a gel and a fleece lined version as well as a ventilated version for a little more but still less than eskadrons. They also come in full sets from some places (fronts and ankles) for a dollar or two less than buying them seperate sometimes, but I didn't find it to be that different. I really like mine as they molded to my horse after a few rides and they clean off easily with just warm water and a little scrubbing. They were also the only open fronts I could find that came in purple other than the bar f (which are fleece lined and I wasn't totally crazy about that) which cost a bit more. ( having all my schooling things be purple is part of how people tell my things apart from everyone else's at my barn) I then use the black ones when I am feeling less obnoxious color-wise or for shows (some jumper shows I still use the purple ones....just depends).

Woohoo! 15 bucks!! I'm doing the happy dance now.

Comment

I have the generic dover open fronts and I like them a lot! I also have a pair of thinlines that I got at the 20% off VTO sale. I like them both a ton!

Although I polo wrap again now because my new guy has short fat cannon bones so all my open fronts are too tall for him! But he's about 17hh -- just a stocky-legged ISH.

I know that was off topic, but I now have about 4 pairs of nice open fronts that I can't use! Grrrrr...
                        Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                        Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven-up View Post
                          Woohoo! 15 bucks!! I'm doing the happy dance now.
                          I'm glad I could make someone do a happy dance just by posting a link. I was feeling pretty dumb lately so that made my day....its the little things that make me happy
                          My blog:

RAWR

Comment

oddly enough i had a hard time finding them online, but here is the link,
                            http://www.greenwaysaddlery.com/prod...t_Boots&id=670
                            although at the store i work at, we get them in black and white

Comment

Also love them!

Comment

Originally posted by myvanya View Post
                                I'm glad I could make someone do a happy dance just by posting a link. I was feeling pretty dumb lately so that made my day....its the little things that make me happy
                                Here ya go. This was me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4

oddly enough i had a hard time finding them online, but here is the link,
                                http://www.greenwaysaddlery.com/prod...t_Boots&id=670
                                although at the store i work at, we get them in black and white
                                That's a good link too. Looks like those ankle boots are the higher cut model. Cool!

Comment

the roma ones are pretty cheap and do a good job. i think theyre like $20 or less for each pair.
                                  (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far. However, that the Roma boots everyone is suggesting are the same as my Weatherbeeta boots I'm looking to replace (I bought my WBs pre-No-More-Millers... the Romas are the post-No-More-Millers). However, the competitor pack that was linked to might be okay... I'm still concerned about elastic though. Do the ones in the competitor pack have it?

Jen, I'm going to have to examine your Dover boots again, more closely.

*Sigh* If only I would just win the lottery already! Then I could get the T boots!
                                    If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
                                    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

I'm a die hard Eskadron fan.

Not a fan of the T boots.

Comment

Originally posted by pattnic View Post
                                        Thanks for the feedback so far. However, that the Roma boots everyone is suggesting are the same as my Weatherbeeta boots I'm looking to replace (I bought my WBs pre-No-More-Millers... the Romas are the post-No-More-Millers). However, the competitor pack that was linked to might be okay... I'm still concerned about elastic though. Do the ones in the competitor pack have it?

Jen, I'm going to have to examine your Dover boots again, more closely.

*Sigh* If only I would just win the lottery already! Then I could get the T boots!
                                        Do you want elastic or no? Mine, which appear to be the same ones in the link, do have elastic. It's nice strong elastic, not losing its stretch or fraying. I've been using them for a year and they actually sat around for a couple years before I even had a horse to put them on.

And oh, you take me back with the Miller's reference. I found some polos in the bottom of my trunk that I bought in '96, from THEEEEEE catalog and they are a completely different animal than my newer polos. Soft, much better stretch, and total paradox. They are shorter, narrower and thinner than my new polos, yet the new ones are too small and the smaller ones fit perfect. How does that even happen?

I'm going to dream of that glossy Miller's catalog tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                        X