• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff: How Far Trainers/Students Will Go To Win

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff: How Far Trainers/Students Will Go To Win

i saw a thread similar to this and it reminded me of my show series.

So, I compete in this lower show series, thats kind of more for fun and a cheaper alternative to the A rated shows. This year though, some of the trainers have been switching mounts in the "B" ring(this contains w/t, ss, and beginner. all of which are little girls and boys in their first year or two of showing). what the trainers do its put the rider on a packer for the o/f and then on a really nice mover/easier eq horse for the flats. in the rule books, it says ring "B" is judged on the rider only. so technically there is no rule around it, but to me it's not fair. i show a great horse that kicks butt o/f but can't win a flat class for his life. to me, this is just the way life is. I show in the "A" ring, where you cannot switch mounts because eq is judged on the rider and hunter is judged on the horse. there are two little girls in my barn who are in there first year and their parents are just furious by the way some of these trainers/students will go to win.

i'm just venting, no flames
    ~the rider does not teach the horse, it is the horse that teaches the rider~

I think it's insane that you can switch horses. I've seen it done once here. Granted it was at a schooling show, but we were showing in the division, a little boy rode the gelding on the flat and then when o/f came, the trainer got on and rode it o/f. That's crazy in itself, but I understand it at a schooling show, if that ever happened at a rated, they should be disqualified.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - at a rated show, if you enter one horse in a division, you should only show that ONE horse. You can register multiple horses in the division and ride them separately if it's only o/f. If it's a normal division where it's 2 o/f and then a flat then that rider should only be riding that ONE horse that was registered.

That's insane.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Originally posted by MHM
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Comment

whitehorse17 - I would talk to your trainer and ask her to attend the next meeting of the association to explain why this rule should be changed (in her opinion). If there are other trainers that feel the same way then she could ask that they also bring this up with the association.

There will always be people that try to get around the rules. As I always tell my DD, winning is not everything.

Comment

I don't see the problem here? If it is an equitation division, no matter how low level, you are allowed to switch horses between classes. I have been at AA shows where someone will ride one horse for the O/F portion, and a different horse for the flat. I don't see anything wrong or unfair about this. If it isn't against the rules, they aren't cheating, so why the rant? There is always going to be someone out there with a nicer horse and bigger name, why complain about it?
        "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
        -George Morris

Comment

If it isn't against the rules, they aren't cheating, so why the rant? There is always going to be someone out there with a nicer horse and bigger name, why complain about it?
          Completely agree. The rules apply to everyone equally.

What's the problem? If they are not breaking the rules, particularly in a class that is judged on the rider only, I don't understand the need to vent and rant. Ride better than them, and it won't be a problem.

There have been an awful lot of sour grapes threads on horse showing lately.
          ---
          They're small hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by RxCate View Post

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - at a rated show, if you enter one horse in a division, you should only show that ONE horse. You can register multiple horses in the division and ride them separately if it's only o/f. If it's a normal division where it's 2 o/f and then a flat then that rider should only be riding that ONE horse that was registered.

That's insane.
            But totally legal to have somebody else flat or to show one o/f and hack another in most divisions at rated shows. Riders with more then one horse frequently get somebody else to hack one for them if they chose to hack both. Many have Pro do the O/F, or Pro do one and they do one and hack them themselves in Open divisions.

I don't even get why putting a beginner kid on the safest one to "jump" and an easier gaited one for the flat is "doing anything to win" if they have enough horses for it and the client wants to pay for it to get their kid the safest miles possible at this level. It's is poles on the ground and "fences" not so far off it.

Most of mine have not been hack winners at top levels either-I never suggested they limit the other Adults to one only or not allow a catch rider to hack it so I could win with a more mediocre mover. Heck, If I had, I might have won a few over worse movers then mine instead of the pastels.

And, for the OP, what are you talking about that you cannot change horses because Hunters are on the horse and Eq is on the rider? Say what?

This is, like, the fifth or sixth "that no fair" thread in the last few weeks (with that "bad judging" one turning into a delightful trainwreck before it disappeared). Starting to make me cranky.

It's about being your best and learning from those who are better, not fixing it so nobody better the you or your horse is allowed in there. Back to the "Beginner Hunter Rider for bay horses born on Tuesday with non winning riders who ride no more then twice a week".
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by whitehorse17 View Post
              i saw a thread similar to this and it reminded me of my show series.

So, I compete in this lower show series, thats kind of more for fun and a cheaper alternative to the A rated shows. This year though, some of the trainers have been switching mounts in the "B" ring(this contains w/t, ss, and beginner. all of which are little girls and boys in their first year or two of showing). what the trainers do its put the rider on a packer for the o/f and then on a really nice mover/easier eq horse for the flats. in the rule books, it says ring "B" is judged on the rider only. so technically there is no rule around it, but to me it's not fair. i show a great horse that kicks butt o/f but can't win a flat class for his life. to me, this is just the way life is. I show in the "A" ring, where you cannot switch mounts because eq is judged on the rider and hunter is judged on the horse. there are two little girls in my barn who are in there first year and their parents are just furious by the way some of these trainers/students will go to win.

Maybe I'm just getting old but the entire premise of this question has me lost. Is this eq or hunters? There's an entire "ring judged on the rider"? eq might be judged on the rider and hunter might be judged on the horse, but they don't co-exist in one class/division. Maybe if I could understand the question I would understand the problem?

Parents in their first year of showdom should be firing out questions, not expectations. Sets a bad precedent, which is apparently coming home to roost.
              EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

I don't understand the problem, either. If the classes are judged only on the rider, and both mounts are appropriate for said rider, then where is the issue? Maybe the o/f horse doesn't play well with others in the flat class or the flat horse doesn't/isn't able to jump any longer or the kid is in the process of switching from one horse to the other and isn't yet completely comfortable on the new horse or....you get the picture.

And switching horses in a hunter division would be a pretty stupid move, since neither horse would be likely to go champion or reserve that way. Now, switching riders or showing multiple horses over fences and then just hacking the nice one is perfectly logical and, again, I don't have a problem with it.

Seriously. You are there to show the judge how great you and your horse are together. Who gives a flying flip what the other riders are doing, as long as they play by the rules?

Comment

There have been an awful lot of sour grapes threads on horse showing lately.
                  I agree. You can not control the quality of horses at a show. Period. You can only enforce the requirements of a division. Period. You are NOT guaranteed a ribbon. Period. You may lose. People lose all the time. You may lose to a cheater, a more expensive horse, a cheaper horse, or homeless child riding a blind pony from New Holland. McLain Ward has the right to show Sapphire in the open walk trot rail on the ground class at the county show.

Think of it as a good life lesson. Losing builds character and teaches perseverence and how to value experience even if you don't get a reward. It really helps when you start working a job.

Showing is so not special if you win a ribbon every time. Savor it as a reward for a job well done, not as a given for showing up.

Comment

I'm confused about the original question too. Can you clarify?

I sometimes have horses at the shows who are just there for mileage and are not ready to jump yet. Maybe they will get ridden in a flat class. And maybe their owner, who wants to jump at the show, owns or can borrow another horse to ride that is ready to jump at a show. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about? If it's an eq division, the rider's points are used to determine the division championship; if it's a hunter division, the total points from each horse is what are calculated, so there really isn't any advantage to hacking a different horse that is a better mover unless you are really concerned with winning the hack only, not the championship. Why is this cheating?
                    Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Comment

• Original Poster

maybe i phrased this the wrong way. i guess what i should have said is that the points go towards the child, not the horse, even in hunter in the "B" ring. so let me make up an example. Lets say the rider's name is george. george is doing short stirrup. for his over fences courses, they put george on sophie. sophie isnt the nicest mover, but she is a packer and wins the over fences. for the flat classes, the trainer puts george on rowdy. rowdy is a 10 mover and is a shoe in against the other horses. what i'm complaining about is that this is a classic series! its not rated, i'll call it a series to get you prepared for rated shows. i just dont understand why the trainers have such big egos and switch the horses for the kids! it teaches them nothing. once they get to the a rated shows, they won't be able to change horses!
                      ~the rider does not teach the horse, it is the horse that teaches the rider~

Comment

I have no idea what a "classic series" is. You aren't going to see that at the rated shows either. Is it short stirrup eq or short stirrup hunters or is it not specified? If hunters, points should be from one horse, but at that level since it's an unrated division even at the rated shows, management can run it however they want.

I sort of think that complaining about the protocol in a short stirrup division is like complaining about the judging in a walk-trot poles class, but hey, that's just me.
                        Please don't sabotash my conchess.

Comment

I'm still confused. If George is riding short stirrup, than the class is judged on George not on Sophie and Rowdy so who cares? If it is a series, George can ride Suzy and Ricky next time and if he wins again he still gets the points. Since the classes are judged on his ability what does it matter and how is that not fair?

It's been a long time since I was in SS and DD is an eventer but SS is still judged on equitation right?

Comment

It's fair. It's allowed by the rules. They are not breaking any rules. It's giving the rider a huge advantage, but it's also an advantage that's allowed. Theoretically, you could go ahead and do it too. Would i spend twice as much money to ship just so i can have a different horse for a flat class? No. Even if I did have the money, i still wouldn't. it's too inconvenient, i think. But some people have money to throw away.

That being said, i think that's RIDICULOUS. But I've seen it. Put it this way: maybe those kids will steal all the blues, but at least your kid is probably grateful and tries his/her best on his/her one pony, fancy or not. The other kids will probably grow up to be brats who expect to be winning. Take it as a humbling experience for your child.
                            (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

Sometimes at small local shows, the division will be half hunter, half eq. They do this because they don't have time to run xrails as a hunter division, then as an eq division, then 18" as a hunter division, then as an eq division, then 2'... You get the idea. So they just combine em.

And apparently in this one, points are tallied by rider only. So if Georgie brings a new and better horse every time and keeps on winning, he is "circuit champion" for that division for the year. But poor Susie has only one horse and keeps losing because she can't change and thereby gain the greatest possible advantage in each type of class.

Now, OP, you haven't been too bad so this is not entirely directed at you. But now I have to vent.

I too am getting tired of the whining threads. No matter what people say - "my problem is bad show management, not that I lost", "my problem is it's stupid, not that I lost", "my problem is that they cheated, not that I lost" - we all see through the excuses and know it's really about losing. Because we all see those same problems and we don't complain; the rest of us just realize that losing is a part of life and that life is not "fair".

I vote that the word "fair" be banned from all future discussions of winning and losing on this forum. Who is with me?

Here's why: "fair" is a non-issue. Right and wrong are the only issues. It is wrong to teach your children that things should be "fair". It is right to teach your children to treat others fairly. See the difference? Now, who is with me: shall we start a group ban on the word "fair" in all discussions of winning at shows? Perhaps we can create a new sticky.

Now, who will be in charge of enforcing it and making sure no one "unfairly" gets around it??

It's nothing against you, OP. Just bad timing. My advice? If you can't beat em, join em. Nothing wrong with following the rules. Short of that, just suggest that the rule be changed to accumulate points by horse-rider combination. Then little Georgie can still show multiple horses; he just can't hack all of them. Or he can still get first over fences every time on Horse A, and win the hack every time on Horse B, never get champion or reserve at any single show, but still get enough points to end up circuit champion on one and reserve on the other. Good luck to you. Sorry for MY rant. (By the way - my little speech? I am turning into my mother. Lord, that is terrifying to read over! Those are her exact words. I can hear her voice saying them. Wow. Had to happen some time, I s'pose.)
                              Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, / And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, / Do not go gentle into that good night. -- Dylan Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by GGsuperpony View Post
                                I vote that the word "fair" be banned from all future discussions of winning and losing on this forum. Who is with me?

I'm with you! Think I'll make "Life isn't Fair" my sig line.

And don't worry, I'm sounding more and more like my mother everyday. It is truly terrifying!

Comment

In addition to the fair rule I'd like to move that all "venting, please no flames" requests be quarantined to blogs. Or chronicle of my horse. Or wherever you can turn off comments.
                                  EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

ok so i just feel like venting as well! haha

I just feel like saying I got jipped at the last local schooling show, but honestly i dont care too much becaue its a schooling show. Still... honestly... In an Eq flat... how the heck does a rider pick up the wrong lead in front of the judge and canter around 1/2 the ring before switching... pin above someone who had perfect transitions?

ohhh well. This is why I prefer the rated shows with well known judges. They pin based on what exactly the riders are supposed to be judged...

I still kicked butt though!

Comment

There is an old Chinese saying that has origins in the beginning of recorded history. That saying is "Shit happens. Get over it.".
                                      Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

And I thought this would be a good, juicy thread about sordid events. Not fair! I was gypped!

Comment

Working...
                                        X