• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Polite way to give notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polite way to give notice

Brief scenario:
    After 1 year at a farm, the "owner/BM" seems to have lost it. She is calling adult owners parents to complain about their adult (19) childs behavior, I have been caught in the middle of this and side with the 19 year old-BM has been being unreasonable about several issue. She asked the vet to call an owner of a horse that I am the legal Authorized Agent/trainer for, to discuss how bad this horses teeth were-I have had the horse in my care for 6 weeks. Vet seems to have been told a "story" about the horses past 18 months-and after I corrected his view, he seems very embarrased to have called. So happens that I was in said owners house when this call came in-therefore I was availableto talk to him. Mind you I talked to the BM last night about this horse. Horses owner is very upset that BM is consulting with EVERYONE about the condition of the horse. We know he is skinny, and as soon as we discovered his previous living situation, we got him out of it...

The feeding is great, however we never seem to have time to ride as there is no barn schedule and we either have to water the indoor-as it is used for turnout with the doors open and wind drying it up. Or wait for the stalls to be cleaned (this is 7pm) prior to turn-in so we can ride in the pasture (No Outdoor at all)
    The only time anything extra, tack room swept, poop picked out of indoor/pastures is when I do it..and with kids AND a full time job, I have about 3 hours a day to play with my horses, and I have one in training that I am obligated to work with.
    Mind you we are not paying training center fees, but we are paying what is the geographic norm for an adequatly run boarding facility with "standard" amenities. I don't expect perfection for nothing, but it would be nice to know that my horse was turned out and his stall cleaned everyday if I am not there. It seems when I show up on days that she thinks that I am not going to be there-she is "just" starting to clean stalls...
    I always know that the horses are being fed so I have no concerns with that.

My main concern is this, when we came in she got nervous that I was taking up so many stalls (5 of 8 available) because if I were to leave she would not have much income left.. I told her that I was likely to stay for a while, as long as it continued to work out. Well it's not working out, I don't want to give 30 days-because it seems as though she is getting cooky, and things have been SLIDING downhill for about 3 months and I worry what will be up in 30 days. I have been a BM and understand that she has ordered shavings/hay ect for the month...But given the outbursts ect lately I worry that the next 30 days is going to be miserable.

Also, I am one of the 3 boarders that came in together that actually signed a contract..so the other two horses will be able to move this weekend, but contractually I must stay with my 3....

How should I handle this?
    "The Friesian syndrome... a mix between Black Beauty disease and DQ Butterfly farting ailment." Alibi_18

You give notice, pay your 30 days and leave whenever you want. Heck, you can leave and then give notice. You just have to pay the 30 days.

Comment

Well, you could always pay her for the 30 days and then move the horses sooner. I understand if that is not feesable money wise though...Good luck- it is a sticky situation.
      Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
      www.heatherevebristol.com
      www.meliorastables.net

Comment

Are you near Lansing? LOL I can almost imagine *who* you're talking about.

Anyway.

If you think she's getting kooky BUT the horses are getting cared for and are safe, then there's probably no reason to "rush" out of there. You can tolerate some discomfort--the horses should not.

UNLESS there's an issue with safety, I'd give notice now for an Oct 1 leave date. (standard 30 days would be given on Sept 1, so give her a few extra weeks...)

You're going to have to pay September regardless (if that's in your contract) so if you CAN live with the situation, do so and save your $$....else, be ready to pay double board and get 'em out of there.
        A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
          Are you near Lansing? LOL I can almost imagine *who* you're talking about.

Anyway.

If you think she's getting kooky BUT the horses are getting cared for and are safe, then there's probably no reason to "rush" out of there. You can tolerate some discomfort--the horses should not.

UNLESS there's an issue with safety, I'd give notice now for an Oct 1 leave date. (standard 30 days would be given on Sept 1, so give her a few extra weeks...)

You're going to have to pay September regardless (if that's in your contract) so if you CAN live with the situation, do so and save your $$....else, be ready to pay double board and get 'em out of there.
          What Buddy Roos said except I'd wait till August 30 or 31st, as if she blows up, you might have to move sooner and pay board elsewhere.
          Remember, if she makes things dangerous, you can claim "constructive eviction" and move without paying for September. The safety of the horses is paramount, even if she is hostile to you when you do give written notice.

I had to pay double board for Cloudy and Callie several times in order to make sure they were safe. I don't understand the hostility of when given notice, BOs getting mad that we boarders are "taking their money." It's our money and if we don't get the services, we should be able to move without hard feelings.

Just make sure you have the "new" barn lined up and ready to receive the horses, AND make sure you aren't going to a worse situation. Good luck.

Comment

Having been a BM, then you should know you owe for the 30 days. It doesn't sound like your animals are in danger so if you can't afford to pay board twice for the same month, just wait it out.

Comment

I agree with the others. You need to give 30 days notice and pay for next month. That doesn't mean you have to wait until the 30 days are up to leave.

I had a good barn owner gone bad situation once. I gave my 30 days, paid my next months board and got the heck out of dodge. It sucked having to pay double board that month, but I did what I felt was necessary at the time.

Comment

I am a barn owner and see it this way.

You can leave when you want and prepare to pay for the upcoming month. Alternatively, I have offered people to pay my dry stall rate and leave. No hard feelings.

This is never a comfortable situation. Do you think sitting with her could fix things?

Comment

• Original Poster

We do have the new barn lined up, and originally I was preparing a post regarding known vs unknown as far as what sounded better-staying with the issues we had vs moving to a situation that is unknown.

However, while I was typing the post-I got the phone call from the vet..and that was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.

Having had people leave (while I was at a show no less) with out 30 days-I know what a pain it is, however-I have always been of the opinion that if they don't like it..you are free to leave.

Regarding talking to her-has not helped so far.

Of course I am going to do the right thing and give 30 days...and have to stay because I cannot afford to pay board we are not using for 2 horses. If it gets dicy, I am sure I can figure something out.
                  "The Friesian syndrome... a mix between Black Beauty disease and DQ Butterfly farting ailment." Alibi_18

Comment

Ah, I see...well I thought you were maybe looking for a way to smoothe things over since she had expressed concern about having so many horses leave suddenly.

Flip side though...if you're going to be a nut, don't expect people to stick around. Seems like business plan fail to me.

I'd wait it out then...check your contract, see if it stipulates when you may give notice and then do it.

I'd probably not mention the "kooky" stuff or even the "talked to the vet you crazy woman" stuff....just that you found a facility that you just couldn't pass up.
                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Oh I thought you were moving 5 horses?
                      With 2 it is not so bad.
                      Just say "thank you for taking care of my horses for the time we have been boarding here. However, I am going to move my horses on or before (date), so this will be your official notice of the termination of our boarding contract. This will give you time to advertise the availabilty of the stalls that I will vacating. I will pay my board for the month of September for my horses.
                      Thank you again for taking care of my horses and please see that they are cared for until I move them.
                      Sincerely,
                      X
                      date and sign the letter.

don't go into specifics and don't write the letter when you are angry or drinking or both.

Comment

• Original Poster

Kinda of what I was thinking-

My husband is a known tightwad-so I was thinking of blaming it on him...
                        New barn giving multi horse discount?? I know it is a lie, but a believable one.

I know that the contract stipulates a 30 day-I wrote it....for some reason did'nt leave a good out. Liked her bunches in the beginning.

Seems I was the only one to sign it too...see what happens when you do the right thing and sign the contract? New barn actually does not have a 30 day clause...Hmm...talked to handful of boarders the other day-
                        They all seemed pretty happy.

So everyone is in agreement...be nice, tell her that I found someplace else...wait out the 30 days and scoot?

And if it hits the fan, sell myself for extra board money..got it.

Comment

We just moved two horses the end of last month...didn't have a boarding contract so told barn owner on Friday that they were leaving on Sunday and paid for the two days of August that we were still there. In the past I have always had a boarding contract and have always abided by that contract when it came to what I was financially obligated for (30 days even if we moved the horse earlier) but in this situation there was no contract and it was really time to move pretty quickly.
                          I actually called and left a message on the phone that we would be leaving, and then we just did it.

Comment

• Original Poster

So a letter would be more non-confrontational? That is what I did when I left the last place, but I left there because it was way too far to drive and really liked it otherwise. Figured I would blubber my way through talking to the BO in that instance.

Clarification: Total it is 5 horses. 2 of mine, 2 students & 1 training horse

Comment

You don't need to give her a reason. At all. No justifications. Remember - this is a business arrangement, not a friendship.

Give her a polite 30-days notice in writing and wait it out, if you can't, leave early. I know it's an unpleasant situation, but it's nothing more than a transaction.
                              ---
                              They're small hearts.

Comment

Working...
                              X