• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Age 15: Am I being reasonable? WWYD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age 15: Am I being reasonable? WWYD?

Alrighty, this may be long, but I would really appreciate everyone's oppion.

I work at an AQHA type barn that is having issues selling horses, partially due to the economy, partially due to very poor marketing. At the barn, we have about 7 very capable hunter/jumper type horses, but my post will deal with one in particular, we'll call her "The Horse." Now, although several other girls (including me) that work at the barn take weekly lessons with a good hunter jumper instructor, the barn owner really has no knowledge of the hunter jumper world. Due to this lack of knowledge, I feel she is not advertising the horses the way they should be (she is advertising to the AQHA world, back yard type riders, etc that arent really interested in the hunter jumper type). She wants to get the horses sold, she just really doesnt know how to get them sold to the right people.
    So here is the deal: The barn owner is desperate to get some horses sold (the one I ride in particular). I came up with this plan: I will offer to take "The Horse" to a show or two, school her around, just get her seen. I will pay all show/travel expenses, however, If I get the horse sold, I get maybe a 3-5% commision on her. By the way, I am 15 years old, a very capable rider, and feel as if I could get this horse sold quickly. At age 15, do you think that is too much to ask? Should I just shut up and let them do things their way even if they arent working? I have made several suggestions on ways to get "The Horse" sold, but they never really take me seriously because of my age. WWYD?

I dont want to act like a smart alleck kid, but at the same time, I KNOW this horse would be sold quickly, she just needs to get seen, and the barn owner just doesnt understand the hunter world, nor does she take me seriously because I am so young.
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Never Too Young!

The number one thing that I hated when I was your age was people telling me I was too young and didn't know anything, when if fact I knew way more than most. IF you have a good feeling that you could sell this horse, then you probably can. Explain to the owner that they can continue to advertise their way while you work your magic to get the horse sold. Explain to them that you will absorb the costs of showing, ect. Have everything in writing and make sure your parents sign it too, because you can't enter into a contract or agreement on your own until you are 18.

When you talk to the owner, go with a game plan, know what shows you want to enter, and how long you think it will take for you to sell the horse. Don't forget the 4 P's of Marketing!
    Product = the horse
    Price=$$
    Promotion = Showing, Advertising - online is often free
    Placement = selling to those who what a hunter.

On another note, I would ask for a written reference, that you can keep in case you need it. They come in handy for every thing from College admissions to getting a jobs, or in case you ever want to do this sort of thing again.

Good Luck

Comment

I would follow Apollo girls advice... then, have fun, explore and experience a good ride. We all started a bit like you.

Comment

I would go for 10% commission and no show fees. You are doing them a favor and increasing the horse's value. (:
        Brummel Horse Farm
        Equine Sales Facility in Westminster, MD
        Western and English Pleasure/Show Horses
        www.brummelhorsefarm.com

Comment

Not too young.

However, I would write up a business plan (very formal, everything written out clearly) and do a nice presentation along with it. If they go along with it (especially if you'll be paying show fees), have them and your parents sign a contract stating what % commission you'll be getting (and I would not go lower than 5%). Good luck!

Caitlin
          Caitlin
          *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
          http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Comment

I did it with a dressage horse. I got paid to ride her, and my lessons, with my trainer of choice were paid for (by the owner). It was a bad ending, but had nothing to do with the relationship between me and the owner, but the barn and the owner (barn trainer trained his other horses, they had a falling out, he left with all his horses). Saw him a few years later, and told me he should have left the mare with me.

It worked great, and I did it again with another horse, this one ended better though, he's now my horse.

It's a fun experience, and your learn alot and look at things with less emotion/more unbiased view because they're not your personal horse.

Comment

You sound like a girl with a solid plan. Don't sell yourself short either. It all makes sense...

I would advise that you put your plan on paper and present to the owner. Personally, I would not be shy about asking for 10%, the standard commission.

I have a feeling she is going to be very pleased with your efforts...Let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by brummelhorsefarm View Post
                I would go for 10% commission and no show fees. You are doing them a favor and increasing the horse's value. (:
                That's comparable to the price they would pay for a real trainer taking the horse on. I think her number is more accurate for a 15 year old. Although I may seek 3-5% plus maybe 1/2 or all of the show fees if they'd go for that.
                "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Comment

If you are that sure that you can get the horse sold, why not buy it yourself and then re-sell for a profit?
                  We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                  -PaulaEdwina

Comment

When my sister was only a LITTLE older thatn you (she had her driver's license, but was still in igh school, she did something similar.

Slightly different formula. She and the owner agreed on the proce the owner wanted to get. My sisiter paid all teh showing and advertising expenses, and got to keep the difference between the agreed price to the owner and the price the buyer paid.
                    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Originally posted by spmoonie View Post
                      I dont want to act like a smart alleck kid, but at the same time, I KNOW this horse would be sold quickly, she just needs to get seen, and the barn owner just doesnt understand the hunter world, nor does she take me seriously because I am so young.
                      well

to be completely honest I could not see taking the advice of a minor on this sort of thing esp in an economy where things are tight already...

look at it this way...if you only had $10 left would you give it to the nearest 7yo because they had a good idea ?? honestly you'd say no,it's my last $10 and I need it to work for me

in better times people take more risks...in tight times people get very very close with their money and their investments in general....

you might be right on the money...

or not

regards
                      Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                      I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
                        If you are that sure that you can get the horse sold, why not buy it yourself and then re-sell for a profit?
                        I would love to do that, but I cannot afford to keep two horses, nor could I afford to buy her in the first place. Im a broke 15 year old looking for some opportunities!
                        "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Comment

The only fly I see in the ointment is what happens if "Ther Horse" gets injured or injures someone while you are off the property. Who is going to be responsible for liabilty and damages/expenses? Who will assume risk while transporting to an from shows.
                          Who will sign the entry forms and be Owner/Trainer. Will you show recognized where drug testing is possible (not saying you are) but **t happens.
                          Those things are what jump up and bite.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tamara in TN View Post
                            well

to be completely honest I could not see taking the advice of a minor on this sort of thing esp in an economy where things are tight already...

look at it this way...if you only had $10 left would you give it to the nearest 7yo because they had a good idea ?? honestly you'd say no,it's my last $10 and I need it to work for me

in better times people take more risks...in tight times people get very very close with their money and their investments in general....

you might be right on the money...

or not

regards
                            If its a good idea, why not? 7 years old or 77 years old, a good idea is a good idea. JMO.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by unclewiggly View Post
                              The only fly I see in the ointment is what happens if "Ther Horse" gets injured or injures someone while you are off the property. Who is going to be responsible for liabilty and damages/expenses? Who will assume risk while transporting to an from shows.
                              Who will sign the entry forms and be Owner/Trainer. Will you show recognized where drug testing is possible (not saying you are) but **t happens.
                              Those things are what jump up and bite.

If the BO chooses to go through with the idea, My mom and I will most likely take full responsibility. My trainer will actually be at the shows, but Im not sure how that would work out yet.

Comment

I am assuming this horse will be attending local/ 4-H / schooling type shows, no need for trainer, drug, association fees. Since OP & parents are willing to swing show expenses. I also gather they have own shipping arrangements.

Not a bad idea to have your parent's lawyer write a release of liabiliyy in case of accident/ loss when horse is off premises.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mrsbradbury View Post
                                  I am assuming this horse will be attending local/ 4-H / schooling type shows, no need for trainer, drug, association fees. Since OP & parents are willing to swing show expenses. I also gather they have own shipping arrangements.

Not a bad idea to have your parent's lawyer write a release of liabiliyy in case of accident/ loss when horse is off premises.
                                  You are correct, these would be local rated shows (equivalent to "C", maybe some "B" stuff).

Comment

I'm a year older than you, so I know how it feels to be a broke, horsie-loving, horsie-owning teen... and I would say go for it.! Not only does this make "The Horse" more valuble, it gives you experience and even promotes you as a rider/ maybe trainer! However, have fun showing against real trainers in open divisions because you are being paid to compete and ride the horse. Also, if something were to happen... say he gets loose and trips and gets injured... thats a sticky situation. Are you and your family willing to pay the vet bills? Or someone runs into your trailer, damaging the truck and/or trailer? Just be sure to have all your bases covered! If this wouldn't work, no trainer would have a job!! Good luck!!!

Comment

My daughter is 12 years old and I give her 10% commission on any horse she helps train/show/sell, so I think your 3-5% commission charge is too low. After all if the horse doesn't sell, you get nothing, but if it does then you get something worthwhile and the owner benefits as well as you.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by spmoonie View Post
                                        If its a good idea, why not? 7 years old or 77 years old, a good idea is a good idea. JMO.
                                        all kinds of people seem to have good ideas when their own money is not involved...
                                        Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                        I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Working...
                                        X