• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Late Behind?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Behind?

I'm coming at this from a dressage/eventer angle so forgive my ignorance. I've noticed that a lot of the hunter videos have flying changes that are late behind. Is this acceptable in a hunter round? Is it "not penalized but clean changes are rewarded"?

Just curious!
    Forward momentum!

Originally posted by ClassAction View Post
    I'm coming at this from a dressage/eventer angle so forgive my ignorance. I've noticed that a lot of the hunter videos have flying changes that are late behind. Is this acceptable in a hunter round? Is it "not penalized but clean changes are rewarded"?

Just curious!
    It is called a "hunter change" versus a "dressage change"

Just having fun here folks
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Comment

It is not acceptable in a hunter or equitation round.

It is penalized to some degree, depending on whether the horse cross cantered one step, or five steps, or ten steps, or more.

Comment

It is not the "correct" way for a hunter to do the change either, however, keep in mind that hunters and equitation are scored/ judged relative to everyone else in the class, not against a numerical standard per movement. Therefore, the overall course with a late change behind could still be better than the some or all of the other competitors, so end up placing in the class (or even winning). However, given two courses that are of exactly the same quality except one horse changes late behind, the horse with perfect changes should win.

Edited to add that even a correct hunter change is not the same as the desired change for a dressage horse. From what I understand (I could be wrong, but have heard this from people who I think know what they're talking about), a dressage change should be powerful and explosive looking. For hunters, the changes should be smooth and should not interrupt the rhythm and flow of the round.

Comment

It is penalized.
          It might pin well if the competition is mediocre or if the others have some difficulties.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by a late change.

If you mean a horse that changes in front and then immediately changes behind (versus one who changes behind then immediately changes in front) I don't think most judges really care unless one is smoother than the other.

Now if you are talking about one that changes in front and it takes the horse a few strides before it gets the rear change then you will usually see it reflected in the placings.

Of course it is all relative to what else is in the class.
            Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
            and
            http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Comment

Originally posted by M. Owen View Post
              It is not the "correct" way for a hunter to do the change either, however, keep in mind that hunters and equitation are scored/ judged relative to everyone else in the class, not against a numerical standard per movement. Therefore, the overall course with a late change behind could still be better than the some or all of the other competitors, so end up placing in the class (or even winning). However, given two courses that are of exactly the same quality except one horse changes late behind, the horse with perfect changes should win.

Edited to add that even a correct hunter change is not the same as the desired change for a dressage horse. From what I understand (I could be wrong, but have heard this from people who I think know what they're talking about), a dressage change should be powerful and explosive looking. For hunters, the changes should be smooth and should not interrupt the rhythm and flow of the round.

Yeah. That.^^^^

Comment

So I could be wrong but it is my understanding that
                in the hunter ring a change is not considered late if the horse swaps first in front and then immediately swaps behind.

In dressage a horse needs to swap front and back at the same time.

Like somebody said hunter change versus dressage change.

I don't think that OP is talking about a horse that swaps two or three steps late. Just about the back legs following the front legs being 1/2 a step behind?
                Timothy, stop lurking

Comment

I'm trying to remove a dressage change from a horse right now. It feels like he's trying to pause in mid-air to change both ends at the same time. That's totally unacceptable for him to do in the turn going around a course, so he's (slowly) learning to keep cantering through the change without the pause, still doing a change that we consider clean, but changing each part in succession as it comes through the step smoothly.

Comment

Yup. Although fun to ride, a "dressage change" is simply not useful when you are looking for a smooth fluid hunter ride.
                    Horses often back them selves up a little and then "pop" the change. it wouldn;t be a big deal in the smaller stuff but once you move up the ranks they need to produce a smooth change.

Here's a piggy back question. How about the Eq? Are hunter changes still better or can you get away with a dressage change even in the 3,6?
                    Timothy, stop lurking

Comment

Originally posted by DancingQueen View Post
                      So I could be wrong but it is my understanding that
                      in the hunter ring a change is not considered late if the horse swaps first in front and then immediately swaps behind.
                      That's not a hunter change, it's an incorrect change. Just because it's done doesn't mean it's right. A lead change is a lead change. A correct lead change starts in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingQueen View Post

Here's a piggy back question. How about the Eq? Are hunter changes still better or can you get away with a dressage change even in the 3,6?

That "Dressage change" often looks like what I call a "bunny hop" change where the whole body sort of comes up to get both ends to swap at the same time...it is not very smooth to watch and I'm guessing it is going to disrupt the flow as much as it disrupts the pace in the Hunters. You have to really collect/package them to arrange that kind of change, that'll kill your momentum. Something you don't want to do looking at a 3'6" oxer off a roll back.

The horse can originate the change either in front or behind, behind is the smoothest but if the front goes first, it's fine as long as the back gets it on the same stride. I think that's what the OP is talking about.
                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

If the dressage change means that the horse collects (i.e. changes stride length) to do the change then it can mess up your distance royally in a situation where you have to do a change relatively close to a fence (a roll back or bending line or just a case where you simply didn't get it done soon enuf). The break in rhythm, or whatever, can make the distance go poof. Even if it doesn't make your distance go poof, an extreme enuf version is going to make things look less smooth

A fix for dressage changes is to make sure that you are coming forward thru the change. Try to avoid using your hands at all. Heck, try to avoid moving the horse laterally. Because those last two things seem to make the dressage come out.

And, yes, it is possible to get a clean change without extreme collection or the bunny hop thing or a change in rhythm.
                          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

A clean change is executed from the hind end first. There are many very nice hunters who execute a smooth change from behind. This should place higher than an otherwise similar round where the horse changes smoothly front end first. What you all are calling a "dressage" change is not necessarily correct in dressage land either. A flying change in dressage land is done in collection and for high scores you want expression and jump, but it is within a rhythm. A flying change in hunter land is much more forward and in a working gait, but still in a rhythm. If the horse changes rhythm to do the change, it is wrong in either world. It is not a dressage change per se, just bad riding/training. In dressage land you are always penalized if the front end changes first, in hunter land you are only penalized if someone else does it better, as a previous poster said.

Comment

Aren't most movements in dressage done more dramatically and with more collection by design?
                              I look at an old video of Anky and Monica Theodorescu (sp?), & Klimke and everything is very theatrical. And sooooooo lovely...

Comment

Originally posted by CBoylen View Post
                                I'm trying to remove a dressage change from a horse right now. It feels like he's trying to pause in mid-air to change both ends at the same time. That's totally unacceptable for him to do in the turn going around a course, so he's (slowly) learning to keep cantering through the change without the pause, still doing a change that we consider clean, but changing each part in succession as it comes through the step smoothly.
                                Two things:

First, I thought it was more desirable in the hunters to change while still on the straightaway before the turn rather than in the turn, though I have of course been guilty of a late change in the turn. Judges weigh in?

Second, CBoylen, are you saying that you are trying to get this horse to change one set of legs before the other (however close together) on purpose to make it look smoother, or just saying that you are trying to make a simultaeneous change more hunter smooth?
                                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by Trees4U View Post
                                  Aren't most movements in dressage done more dramatically and with more collection by design?
                                  I look at an old video of Anky and Monica Theodorescu (sp?), & Klimke and everything is very theatrical. And sooooooo lovely...
                                  At the Grand Prix/International level, yes. But my Pre-Green hunter goes to the dressage shows and does training level tests. Collection is not required at training and first level. Dressage horses are not even introduced to changes until 3rd level, at which collection has already been established. They are generally horrified to think that a horse would learn flying changes outside of collection. IMHO, so many of their horses have problems with the changes under saddle because they wait to long to introduce what is a natural movement. They also get a little more wound up about it because the HAVE to change behind first and that can be a good bit more difficult to get consistently.

I was also taught a change in the corner places lower than a change on the straight away. Get the change before the turn.

Comment

Help, my 5 yr old hanoverian does the normal back to front change right to left BUT on the left to right he does the dreaded dressage change hop!!
                                    Cboylen how do you fix it? Or anyone else??
                                    http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

Originally posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
                                      Help, my 5 yr old hanoverian does the normal back to front change right to left BUT on the left to right he does the dreaded dressage change hop!!
                                      Cboylen how do you fix it? Or anyone else??
                                      As someone who does both the hunters and dressage, I still do not understand what people are talking about by "dressage change hop".

Are people training their hunters to break up the change front to back/back to front or just not able to smooth out a clean (simultaeneous) change?
                                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                        As someone who does both the hunters and dressage, I still do not understand what people are talking about by "dressage change hop".

Are people training their hunters to break up the change front to back/back to front or just not able to smooth out a clean (simultaeneous) change?
                                        I think what they are describing is that moment of suspension required to do the "hop" in the "dressage change. The horse is in collection and there is a pronounced "lift" in the topline while the horse changes legs.

As explained, that frame and the pause that creates in the forward motion is not desirable in the hunter/eq ring. The horse must change smoothly within the canter - think of it as the legs changing without that lift in the topline. Ideally the horse will initiate the change behind but it is acceptable to change in front as long as the hind legs follow in the same stride.
                                        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Working...
                                        X