• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Oaks Blenheim Sportspark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oaks Blenheim Sportspark

At a San Juan Capistrano city council meeting this week, RJ Brandes, Robert Ridland and Melissa Mullins implied they were planning on continuing operations in San Juan. I thought they were moving everything to Silverlakes in Norco. But hey, I am a dressage rider, so what do I know? Are they planning on operating both facilities?

Could they have competitions in both locations? What is the buzz in the H/J world?
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I heard that the city of SJC bought the Blenheim facility (now called Rancho Mission Viejo Rding Park) in order to keep equestrian activities there. I hope that is true! They may even have full-time baording an training acitvities there in the future. I was under the assumption, Blenheim would move everything to Norco, and it would just be boarding/county shows in SJC, but I don't heve any details on that. My trainer is showing there this week and next, so maybe he will have some more info.

Comment

The latest I've heard is that the land is secure for equestrian use for the next few years, and the city is in negotiations to purchase the property for equestrian and sports use, as well as an open area/habitat preservation situation which I think includes the creekbed.

I also heard, (but don't quote me...) that they are still planning to develop the Norco site and host shows there.
      Equestrianism
      Photography

Comment

Originally posted by *jumper* View Post
        The latest I've heard is that the land is secure for equestrian use for the next few years, and the city is in negotiations to purchase the property for equestrian and sports use, as well as an open area/habitat preservation situation which I think includes the creekbed.

I also heard, (but don't quote me...) that they are still planning to develop the Norco site and host shows there.
        This is from the 8/4 city Council Meeting Minutes:
        3. CLOSED SESSION (610.85)
        A Closed Session will be held for the following purposes, as authorized by statute:

a. Pursuant to Government Code section 54956.8, the City Council with confer with real property negotiators (City Manager and Open Space Finance Sub-Committee) regarding the price and terms of payment for acquisition for real property described as APN 125-172-07 and APN 125-172-17, generally located west of La Pata and south of Ortega Highway. The property owner is Rancho Mission Viejo (RMV).

So it sounds like *jumper* is correct, they are just in negotiations. However, we still don't know how that will affect the horse shows. I really will not be happy showing in Norco in the summer.

Comment

I'm with you, Norco doesn't sound too appetizing in the summer months. I was at the Oaks yesterday at 9 and I was uncomfortably hot...I can't even imagine being miles inland!
          Equestrianism
          Photography

Comment

I also heard that the city was in negotiations to buy the property (sources - ECOC Newsletter and ShowBiz Magazine-see bottom of page 8). When I went to the grand opening for the facility in Norco a few weeks ago, they also seem to be on track for that one. In addition to the strictly horse area there are a lot of soccer fields (maybe multi-use like the ones at the current Oaks).

I show at the Oaks in the summer to get away from the heat so it would definitely be nice to keep that facility. Going from hot to hotter would not be as much fun. And if it's only county shows that's fine with me b/c that's basically what I can afford to do anyway.
            The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• Original Poster

The city of San Juan passed an open space bond a couple of years ago and they are considering purchasing the property with that money. Many of the local equestrian community members think it will remain as is, but I don't see how if the shows are moving to Norco. I can guarantee you that the city of San Juan is not going to go into the horse show business I was at the city council meeting earlier this week and I was surprised to hear everyone from Blenheim Equisports speaking as though they were going to be there for the long haul. At the end, Mrs. Smith spoke, saying Blenheim Equisports didn't really "own" the date anyway.

So I am wondering if the Blenheim crew plans to stay there or what?
              Last edited by nhwr; Aug. 6, 2009, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Well that was interesting! Got curious about who actually owned the dates for the A USEF-rated HJ shows at the Oaks and did a competition search on the USEF website.

The contact info listed for the one this week is:

MARY HARRIS
                18381 GOLDENWEST ST.
                HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA 92648
                Contact Tel:
                (714) 848-6565
                Email:
                hcpec@verizon.net
                Secretary:
                TEPLEY, NANCEE
                Manager:
                WHEELER, STEPHANIE
                Licensee Name:
                NATIONAL EQUESTRIAN CENTERS, INC D/B/A HUNTINGTON CENTRAL PARK EQUESTRIAN CENTER

For next week:
                STEPHANIE WHEELER
                2683 VIA DE LA VALLE, SUITE G
                PMB 411
                DEL MAR, CA 92014
                Contact Tel:
                (949) 443-1841
                Email:
                showpark@aol.com
                Secretary:
                TEPLEY, NANCEE
                Manager:
                WHEELER, STEPHANIE
                Licensee Name:
                PERLOW EQUESTRIAN PRODUCTIONS

For the show associated with the Maclay Regionals in Sept:
                STEPHANIE WHEELER
                2683 VIA DE LA VALLE SUITE G
                PMB 627
                DEL MAR, CA 92014
                Contact Tel:
                (949) 443-1841
                Email:
                showpark@aol.com
                Secretary:
                TEPLEY, NANCEE
                Manager:
                WHEELER, STEPHANIE
                Licensee Name:
                SMITH, JOAN IRVINE
                The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• Original Poster

Mrs. Smith said that she, Larry Langer, Robin Servais and Sam Perlow owned most of the dates and that they were being "leased" to Blenheim Equisports. I can't find any provision in the rules for leasing dates.

So how does that work? And what might it mean for the future of shows in San Juan? Any ideas?
                  Last edited by nhwr; Aug. 6, 2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nhwr View Post
                    Mrs. Smith said that she, Larry Langer, Robin Servais and Sam Perlow owned most of the dates and that they were being "leased" to Blenheim Equisports. I can't find any provision in the rules for leasing dates.

So how does that work? And what might it mean for the future of shows in San Juan? Any ideas?
                    I have heard of dates being leased or transferred. Not sure how it works. Can't find anything in the rulebook WRT leased dates, only transferred ones (GR 317 here - http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBo...al%20rules.pdf)

Serfass
                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

The mileage rule needs to go!

Comment

Mary Behrens nee Harris had the Summer Classic in Huntington Beach for that first set of dates. I miss that show!

Comment

OK, so since I just answered a PM from someone about this, allow me to copy the gist of it here.

R.J. Brandes remains very, very much committed to the Silverlakes project and plans to have it open by around this time next year. Woot!

But, yes, the SJC city officials finally pulled their heads outta their behinds and listened to the merchants and hotel managers who said that the horse shows and other events (soccer tournaments, rodeos, etc) brought in a LOT of money to their businesses and the Oaks had to stay. So it aparently will. Which is great.

Re the summer heat: Brandes has said, several times, that he will not hold any of **his** shows at Silverlakes in July, August and September -- of course, it's also ungodly hot in Burbank where LAEC is, too, and I've shown at the Oaks when it's been 108 degrees Just sayin' for those complaining about Norco weather. Fortunately, Silverlakes has many lovely, full-grown trees on the property .

Brandes does intend to run A shows from Silverlakes as well the county-level shows Blenheim puts on, and of course it will be available for other groups to rent to hold shows -- I know the reining horse people are already talking about holding events there. What he won't have at Silverlakes is rodeos or anything else that would require cattle, since he points out that the city's own Ingall's Park is already set up for that.

I really hope that people will give the facility a REAL chance once it's up and running and not just dismiss it out of hand because it's in Norco. Yes, it's a hick town in many ways, but it's also one of the very, very few remaining in Southern California that is welcoming to horses and WANTS to have an equestrian park.

It would be a real shame if the people it is being built FOR thumb their noses at it before it's even built.
                          Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Comment

I think I remember that 108° weekend at the Oaks when I went into town and fought the local citizens off to buy fans at a local hardware store. All in all the Oaks is going to have cooler weather in those three months than Norco will. Not as cool as Del Mar, but I can understand Brandes' decision to keep shows in SJC during the summer months. But Norco should be great in the fall and spring and has the advantage of getting somewhat less rain than LA during the "winter" months.

The pity is that, with the mileage rule, an A USEF show won't be able to run at Norco the same weekend as an LAEC or even (I think) Thermal show.

My understanding that Brandes' group wants to make as sure as possible that the facility is really ready for prime time and thus avoid some of the issues that occurred at a certain facility to the east.

I am looking forward to showing there, tho possibly not in the summer (when I won't show at LAEC either). After all it's something like 14 miles from my barn and you don't even need to get on a freeway.

For those who know the area, is there any kind of a breeze that regularly kicks in during the day? Does it tend to run cooler or hotter than the surrounding areas. I know there can be localized climate differences.
                            The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Peggy View Post
                              For those who know the area, is there any kind of a breeze that regularly kicks in during the day? Does it tend to run cooler or hotter than the surrounding areas. I know there can be localized climate differences.
                              Peggy, the locals call it the "2 o'clock tornado" Which is, of course, a generalized overstatement, but yes, pretty much like clockwork every early afternoon, a nice -- sometimes overly generous -- breeze kicks in.

I won't deny that it gets HOT in Norco in the summer. I live in Yorba Linda, against the hills and 20 minutes to the west, and honestly there's maybe a few degrees of difference, with Norco running hotter. My horses live in Norco and no, I don't ride in midday during the worst of the summer heat. But I know many people who do, and yes, I do question their sanity.

I just want people to give this facility a chance. Given the state of my many-times surgerically repaired knees now complete with another new replacement, it's unlikely that I will ever jump a fence again, let alone show. So I have no vested interest here. I just think, like I said, that the people for whom this facility is being built -- in one of the last Southern California cities that actively zones **for** rather than against horses -- should be happy to have it and not automatically reject it because of where it is.

Comment

I love Norco. BBer Mypaintwattie is doing one of the circuits out there and I've gone to two of the shows at Ingalls to watch and lend as hand. I will admit to skipping the late July show because of the heat, but to me a scorcher is a scorcher, whether it is LAEC or Norco. Beezer, do you know if the new place will be putting in a covered arena as well?

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback people. Glad to get a better understanding of date transfers.

A couple of points to clarify;
                                  First the facility is currently outside the city limits of San Juan Capistrano, so city officials had no ability to influence what was happening there previously. If they are able to acquire the property from the Ranch, they will have to redraw the city boundaries.

Second, I listened pretty carefully at the meeting. Unless I missed it, no one actually stated Blenheim Equisports planned to stay in SJC. There was discussion of how much business their activities brought to town, the caliber of events that were held there and what they had done for San Juan. But no one came out and said "We are staying in San Juan Capistrano".
                                  Silverlakes was mentioned by a resident, no one from Blenheim brought it up

I am excited that San Juan has a chance to get this property and hope it remains the same. But I don't see how the city can afford to do that if the Blenheim crowd leaves and takes the dates with them. Hence my concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Coreene View Post
                                    Beezer, do you know if the new place will be putting in a covered arena as well?
                                    Coreene, yes, there will be a huge indoor (air-conditioned as well ) but I'm pretty sure that will be available only for the international-type classes and grands prix. I mean, I **suppose** a local show could rent it, but I think it would be a budget-buster.

nhwr, at the Silverlakes "ground-breaking" party, Brandes talked extensively about how he will be running shows at BOTH the Oaks and Silverlakes. Although the lease on the Oaks property ran out at the end of last year, he said that the Oaks is staying, mainly because businesses in SJC want it to. So he will hold shows at both places.

My guess is that it's also staying because pretty much all residential construction that Rancho Mission Viejo planned, which would have had a huge impact on the facility and was the main reason the horses were being driven out, is off the drawing boards for the foreseeable future. RMV, which does own the property -- which is why it's name is reallyOaks Blenheim Rancho Mission Viejo Riding Park -- planned on turning the place into a general sports park for the non-equine-inclined who would have bought the gazillions of homes planned for the ranch. No homes = no need for more softball diamonds, soccer fields, kiddie parks, etc.

I don't believe that the city of SJC is "buying" the property in any way, shape or form. But the city officials are now seeing the merit of keeping it right on their city border because it helps their business owners, so they are far more friendly toward keeping it. Since RMV is within the city's "sphere of influence" from a development/utilities/services standpoint, it does have some say over what goes on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Beezer View Post

I don't believe that the city of SJC is "buying" the property in any way, shape or form. But the city officials are now seeing the merit of keeping it right on their city border because it helps their business owners, so they are far more friendly toward keeping it. Since RMV is within the city's "sphere of influence" from a development/utilities/services standpoint, it does have some say over what goes on there.
                                      From the minutes and discussion I found from the City council meetings they are definitely considering BUYING the property with funds from the Open Space bond measure.

And on another note, I snuck down to the show on my lunch hour, and I was CLOD in the shade. I acutally had to move into the sunshine to get warm!

Comment

• Original Poster

http://www.sanjuancapistrano.org/ind...=1223&page=102

Comment

Working...
                                        X