• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Does size matter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does size matter?

Okay I was partially trying to get everyone's attention.

I keep talking to these kids, and they all keep saying that they are too big for their horses.

Now, in my opinion they are all nuts, they all fit their horses fine.

Riders-what is this size thing?

Trainers-Your opinion?

Judges????
    "The Friesian syndrome... a mix between Black Beauty disease and DQ Butterfly farting ailment." Alibi_18

I used to ride 16+ hh horses before I bought my own. After a nasty fall from a 16.3 hh lesson horse at a show, I wanted the smallest horse possible for a person my size (5'8" average weight). When I went shopping for my first horse, I asked my riding instructor what is the smallest horse I should look at. She said I could get away with 15.2 hh if the horse was really broad. So... that is exaclty what I bought. I enjoy being closer to the ground. I also enjoy not having to fiddle with my stirrup leathers when mounting.

Comment

Unfortunately for me it is a size thing. I am 5-11 with a 36+++ inch inseam. I have a very short upper body and have the ability to make 17+h horses look like ponies. Usually anything under 16.2 is too small and does not take up enough leg.
      But I have dealt with the 5-1 riders looking for huge horse they can not physically control or match.

Comment

IMO, the less knowlegable people are, the more emphasis they put on the horse's size and feel that bigger is always better.
        Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
        Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

They are just kids parrotting something they heard or read on the web and assuming they are too big for their horses.

I would not extrapolate that out too far or apply it too widely across the entire H/J spectrum.
          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I grew up thinking that bigger was better. And I had a very skewed view of how I looked on horses - thinking that at 5'7" I really "needed" something 16.2 or better in order to look proportionate.

It took actually riding some smaller horses for me to realize not only do I fit and look fine on them, I actually prefer the ride a little bit. Much easier for me to see/feel where I am.

My own guy is 16.1 but I wouldn't be opposed to buying something from 15 hands up if I was shopping in the future. Of course, not looking to do lots of showing or anything, either.
            "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

I knew a girl who was 5' and btw 10-12 years old who was riding a 17.2h horse because they wanted her to be able to do large juniors

I wanted something over 16h but didn't really care. First horse that we got was 17.1h and he worked out just fine The next one (my current show horse) was 15.3h and also has worked out just fine
              No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
              For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
              www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

I'm 5'5" or thereabout and am riding one that's about 15.1 and one that's 16.3. Previous horse was also about 15hh.

I think larger horses have definitely been a trend lately. I guess maybe it's easier to make the strides on something bigger, depending. But many average adults can ride ponies and can certainly ride smaller horses without it being obscene.
                ---
                They're small hearts.

Comment

I think it depends on how the horse is built not just his height. My horse is 18h and has a long back. I am 5'8 and he isn't the easiest to put together even with my height and length of leg.
                  Last edited by Bearhunter; Aug. 4, 2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I think for the longest time across the board (h/j, eventing, dressage), bigger was better and that's what everyone wanted because that's what they thought they needed to win.

Then Theodore O'Connor came around (and no he's not the first little guy to dominate, ie Stroller, but the first in a long time on a large scale) and the popularity of the German Riding pony for the dressage folks especially, and now people are finally starting to realize that it's better to get something they actually fit.

I'm 5'1, and everything I own is 14.2 and under. One of my 14.2ers is only 2 though, so she'll probably actually be a horse.

Comment

I think it was Steinkraus who said a tall rider looks no worse on a small horse than a small rider looks on a tall horse. My interpretation of that statement is simply that size is not that important.

I think what they really need to understand is that it is not the height of the horse that makes a rider look disproportionate, it is the girth or depth of the horse that usually determines that, covering leg is the answer. Really what are you going to do if you are a rider with a tall upper body, start buying really long horses, with a high head set?? I have a bunch of horses I ride from 16.1HH to 17.2HH and the only one I do not have to make "size" adjustments for is the 16.1HH horse.

I myself am 6'3" and have learned over the years that the really, really goods ones don't come around all that often, so when they do you have to learn to fit them, there simple are not that many great ones around to start trading them like cars with a growing family.

Joe Fargis is a a great example. He was taller, and Touch of Class was very fine, and I do not believe very tall, so he had to learn to fit her. John Anderson is at least 6'7" and I have seen him ride horses that can't be anymore than 16HH, and he looks fine, is an excellent rider and has a ton of success.

And at the end of the day what is the difference between a 16HH and a 17HH horse, 4 inches, or 2 stirrup holes, and great equitation.

Comment

Ok, I'll say it "Yes, size does matter!"
                        But, not in the way it think everyone traditionally thinks about size. To me "size" incorporates more than just the horses height. It involves their barrel, their neck length & to some extent their back length.
                        The 16.1 school horse I rode fit me better than the 16.2 big barreled horse I owned. Why - my horse had a short neck & I always felt that, although he took up my leg better than the school horse, I was "top heavy" on him. The school horse & I just presented a better fit together.
                        Right now I'm currently riding my horse (17 hands) & one of the other boarders horses (he might be 15.3?) Nicest part about the smaller horse is I can comfortably use the 2 step mounting block
                        Life is hard. Buy a freaking helmet.
                        Originally posted by meupatdoes
                        Whatever, go gallop.

Comment

while i wouldn't assume this to be true for everyone, i think that in some cases, it just might go hand in hand with many young girls and body image issues. the bigger the horse, the smaller you look as a rider.

i speak as someone who's been there. i'm five five, and try to keep my weight somewhere between 115-120. i have a healthy take on my self image today, but it wasn't always so. at one point i freaked out when i tried a horse that was 15.2 because i felt i "looked huge" - obviously that wasn't true. but it was how i felt, nonetheless.

just offering an insight. it's probably not the most common source of juniors wanting a bigger horse - but it might be a factor for a certain number.
                          http://img.skitch.com/20100717-q91i7...u2ub8k6b15.jpg

Comment

I like a bigger horse - I just feel better. But its a type I like- big, slow moving - call 'em lugs. A long enough step to crawl down the lines. I hate small dashy types.

My horse is a tall girl but she rides like a small horse. She doesn't have that big stepped lope yet. You crawl, you add a step. But she is easy to pull together and adjust. She's 17H, a bit narrow, but a deep barrel. She's about perfect for me comfortwise- anymore wide horses hurt my back.

I think my trainer is north of 6', all leg and looks fantastic on her.
                            http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=66f771a572

I am 5'7 and think I look a little heavy for her, but a good height.
                            http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1191895652

Comment

I have always thought I needed a bigger horse. I rode a 16.1h narrow, upright TB in the short stirrup for three years. My next horse was also 16.1h, but with a much bigger barrel. By the time I was 14 (probably about 5'7" at that time), I felt that I was too big for him and needed a taller horse. My next horse was 17.1h and at 5'8" I looked perfect on him. Unfortunately he did not like jumping, so we sold him and I was offered another horse for free. This horse is 15.2h. He does have a big barrel and longish neck, so I feel perfectly fine on him.
                              So now I think that it is more the length of neck, rather than height, that balances out my extremely long torso.

Comment

I am tall with long legs and I'm heavier than average, so yes, size matters to me somewhat. I like the shorter ones with a big barrel so I can get my leg on them properly and so I have fat to cling to when doing no stirrup work.

My horse is 16.2 and a little bit, typical leggy TB look, and I think I look about normal on him. Although it would be so nice to have that great no stirrups barrel.......

One horse I used to ride was 17.3 and BIG besides that. I used to get a lot of compliments on how nice we looked together. I think some of it had to do with how well we got along, but I almost look short in the pictures I have of me on him. Until I look at my friend/trainer at the time standing next to us. She's 5'2 and I think his head was bigger than she was.
                                I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

I think that size only matters if it is extreme. If you have a 4ft child and a 17hh horse, they are going to look retarded, same goes for a large rider and a small horse.

That being said, there are riders out there (William Fox-Pitt, Ian Miller ect.) who can ride smaller horses, and even with their height they don't look out of place because they are balanced in their saddle and maintain a good overall position.

So basically, if you can ride the horse to the best of it ability without it being unsafe or overly awkward, then there is no reason why a shorter person can ride a large horse and a taller person can ride a small horse, in my opinion.

Comment

I am 5'1" and 17. I know I can't ride the big guys as well as the ponies and small horses, my leg barely reaches their barrels on anything larger than 16h.

My own horse is a 15.1h TB but I make her look 16 hands and we fit together perfectly, I also ride a large and small pony which I am a bit big for but not terribly.

My Mare: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...me/Lady/20.jpg

Large Pony: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...unephp-1-1.jpg

Small Pony: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...atches/1-1.jpg
                                    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Comment

My mare is a hair under 15.2. She's a Hanoverian with a big barrel and an even bigger stride, bigger than many horses several inches taller than her. She is still poo-poo'd by any person/trainer that does H/J's. They call her midget. Some BNT have have been impressed with her, but still always say "too bad she's too small".

So yes, size DOES matter unless you have a horse like Strapless that can simply out jump them all...
                                      On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

I'm 5' and very petite (think gnome...), and I feel more comfortable on a smaller, slab sided horse. It's fine, because they're generally cheaper and a little easier to maintain and buy "clothes" for. I do have a harder time putting together a larger horse, my legs don't reach down the barrel, etc. (Of course, Margie Goldstein isn't any taller than I am, and she could ride anything with hair and hooves, to be sure...so I guess that's not *really* an excuse)

My horse (15.1 TB mare) has a fairly easy time of making strides and is a very handy, nimble jumper. Plus, turns on her are a breeze. I've always preferred that to what feels to me like a lumbering gait of a larger horse. I'm sure we get downgraded for our size at times, but it's better than trying to ride something uncomfortable. Plus, she looks good jumping a 2'6" or a 3'
                                        6" fence. So, she's perfect for the hunters fence ranges I'm aiming for in the showring.

PS - Love the Steinkraus quote Hawrse. Nice one!

Comment

Working...
                                        X