• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Was this fair??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this fair??

I was at an a-rated show this past weekend, and in my hunter flat class I had another horse constantly on my mares butt. At one point I heard the persons trainer yell at them for running up on other horses. The second time they ran up on us, they were sooo close that I probably could have turned around and touched them. I couldn't circle out cause they were slightly to my inside and I would have hit them. Instead of going to the inside of me and pass, they continued to ride my horse's butt. The trainer (who was standing pretty close to the judges stand) yelled at her again for doing it, but she didn't back off. My red headed mare had decided that she had had enough and kicked out. This was directly in front of the judge. There was only 8 of us so there was plenty of room. My mare normally pins in the top 2 in the flat class. The judge pinned us almost last. He pinned a horse that was visably lame over us. Is this fair? I realize that manners count, but the other rider clearly was riding my horse's butt sooo bad and he pinned her over me.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg

Despite the rudeness and lack of horsemanship, it probably would have been wise to circle away from the rider on your butt rather than letting the situation escalate. Also, after the first instance I would definitely keep a hawk eye on her and prevent the situation from happening a second time.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The judge may have felt that you did not take any action to get away from the other horse and therefore put your horse in a position that was unsafe - ie, kicking out at the other horse. As you say, manners do count.

Part of showing, particularly on the flat, is about awareness of where you are in the ring and being able to maneuver away from trouble. It's unfortunate that another exhibitor made it difficult for you, but that's showing sometimes.
      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

This is a tough one for me. I have a mare who kicks and I wanted to put a red ribbon in her tail for her flat classes but I was told that it would cloud the judge's opinion of her. My girl wound up in a similar situation only there were like 20 horses in that class. The girl ran up on our mare twice, and the mare finally not only kicked her but backed up to do it.

While it does suck it made lose the class, I'm betting that the girl will never do that again. Next time, I'd circle in front of her and cut her off. Just my personal opinion.......

Comment

1. Life is not fair.
          2. Also, with only 8 in the ring, you should have been able to get away from this person.

Comment

Is this fair?

Yes

Your mare kicked out, which is not a desirable trait in a hunter. Does it suck that the girl kept running up your horse's butt, yes. The judge would consider it your fault if you had room to get away from her.

Comment

Unfortunately

A horse kicking in a hunter under saddle class is like taking a rail down in a hunter over fences class. It should eliminate that horse from the ribbons. I have lots of sympathy for you because I rode a mare for years who could easily win the hacks but was not tolerant of other horses close to her. I grew eyes in the back of my head and always knew where we were relative to the other horses. You have to spot the horses that you know will be gallumphing along on the forehand and passing close to you also. You need to have them on the other side of the ring from you, right from the time you walk in.

Comment

Is this fair? I realize that manners count, but the other rider clearly was riding my horse's butt sooo bad and he pinned her over me.
                Yes, it's fair.

When they're out hunting there isn't always going to be space. A horse that kicks another can be quite a liability. While it sucks and she's ill-mannered, your horse still acted poorly.
                ---
                They're small hearts.

Comment

This happens all the time in flat classes. While it is not fair it is up to you to be aware of your surroundings especially if you know your horse will kick. You must place your horse so as to not get blocked in and you have a way to manuever around traffic. I have preached this time and time again to my girls and is a pet peeve of mine. I'm not trying to be harsh but I feel it is like getting behind the wheel. In the judge's defense she may not have seen what happened other than your horse kicking out. Yes it was a small class but she may have been looking the other direction. Unless you know for sure it would be hard to pass judgement. Good luck next time.

Comment

this is where the leg yield comes in handy. A gradual leg yield would have got you away from the rider without any dire consequence.

Sounds like you need to focus on developing some ring craft
                    _\\]
                    -- * > hoopoe
                    Procrastinate NOW
                    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

I am guessing with only 8 in the ring, you probably could have gotten away from her (ie. cut the end of the ring if circling was not an option.) In such a small hack class, it would be easy to see what was going on and a decent judge would most likely reward you for moving away from a potentially dangerous situation.

Comment

Was it fair? No.

Was the judge right to place the class the way s/he did? Yes.

I was in a hack yesterday in 15 horses and had two people do that to me. After we were out of ear shot from the judge, I turned to them and not very nicely said, "DO NOT ride up on my horse like that". Both were shocked and circled. I went up to both afterwards that it was both poor form and bad sportsmanship to do that to anyone during a flat class. Both apologized and said they shouldn't have done it. I could have been nicer during the class, but it got the job done. It's your job to look out for your horse. You either slow down and circle, stay away from that horse in the first place, go up the quarter line, or in my case where I was pinned on the rail... you tell the rider to back off.

Comment

• Original Poster

It was pretty much impossible for me to have circled out at that particular point. The other horse was on my inside and his head was past my mare's flank. I was clearly aware of my surroundings, she had cut the corner. Because of the jumps and other rider, I was left with no where to go but straight. I guess I just assumed that she would have circled instead of practically running into someone else. I've been showing for close to 15 years, so I'm pretty sure that I know proper ring etiquette and how to properly/safely flat my horse. My mare has never acted out before and is usually very tolerant of other horses getting a little close, I guess she had just had enough. A friend said she thought the other horse nipped her on the bum.
                          Happy Hour-TB
                          Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg

Comment

Where did the judge pin the person who ran up on your horse's butt?
                            ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

What do you wish the judging outcome had been?

While I agree the poor ride from others wasn't fair, what could the judge do about that? I can't imagine ignoring a horse kicking out at another, regardless of the circumstances. After all, the U/S is supposed to demonstrate the beautiful manners (as well of movement) of the horse you'd ride with a bunch of drunk people on a Sunday.

I also agree with other posters. While you may not have been able to circle before the kick, you probably knew your mare was getting riled. If that took a few laps, you need to do something to find some space earlier. If your mare's temper goes from zero to 60 in a flash, then the class was, in fact, pinned as it should have been.
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Regardless of the reason, a horse that kicks goes to the bottom of the class. That's just the way it is. Beyond the "manners" requirement in the class specs, a horse that kicks is a MAJOR safety issue in the show ring.

How long was this girl on your horse's hip? I have a hard time believing that you couldn't get a spot by yourself in an eight horse class. When there is no room to circle, you still have options like lengthening or shortening your horse's stride briefly to make more space, waiting an extra couple of seconds to ask for a transition until you are out of the pack, etc. There are always options for getting out of a jam. While a slow transition might drop you down in the placings in a very competitive class, it is a better option than putting another horse/rider in danger. JMHO.
                                Last edited by Montanas_Girl; Aug. 3, 2009, 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Buglet View Post
                                  It was pretty much impossible for me to have circled out at that particular point. The other horse was on my inside and his head was past my mare's flank. I was clearly aware of my surroundings, she had cut the corner, but because of the jumps and other rider, I was left with no where to go but straight. I guess I just assumed that she would have circled instead of practically running into someone else. I've been showing for close to 15 years, so I'm pretty sure that I know proper ring etiquette and how to properly/safely flat my horse. My mare has never acted out before and is usually very tolerant of other horses getting a little close, I guess she had just had enough. A friend said she thought the other horse nipped her on the bum.
                                  The judge did the correct thing. It is up to YOU to stay clear of other horses. You can never trust someone else to do it for you. If you get cut off, it's your fault. If you get run up on, it's your fault. It certainly wasn't NICE of the other person, but the judge didn't really have a choice.

You indicate that it was the "second time" that the horse ran up on you that your horse kicked. With only 8 in the ring, you should have made sure that there was no "second time." ESPECIALLY if you could tell that this rider was a butt-runner-upper sort of rider.

And in the situation you just described (in your second post, the one I quoted here), if I had let things get that far so that I was stuck in that manner I would have tried to fall back behind the other horse by rating my speed a bit. Once they had gotten far enough ahead of me I would have circled or ridden up the quarter line and reestablished my pace. Sure, slowing down isn't great, but it would have been better than letting your horse kick out at the other horse.

It sucks, but you can't really blame anyone -- ESPECIALLY not the judge. You'll never place in the top of a hack class if your horse kicks out -- no matter WHAT the reason.

Edited to add: apparently Montana's Girl and I would have done the same thing
                                  Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                                  Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

When you enter the ring, you should be spacing yourself out away from other horses. Then stay alert for where horses are in the ring. You can always cut a corner early or cut across the ring to keep away from others. You should be able to tell if someone is gaining on you, and change your path to avoid the situation you describe. That's all part of being successful in flat classes.

The judge was correct. A horse that kicks is normally not pinned.

Comment

Originally posted by Buglet View Post
                                      I had another horse constantly on my mares butt. The second time they ran up on us...Instead of going to the inside of me and pass, they continued to ride my horse's butt... My red headed mare had decided that she had had enough and kicked out. This was directly in front of the judge. There was only 8 of us so there was plenty of room. My mare normally pins in the top 2 in the flat class. The judge pinned us almost last.

PULLLLLEEEZE. You later stated there was no room for you to move but here you state there was plenty of room for her to pass? And she ran up your butt more then once?? In a class of EIGHT???

Yeah, you can get caught like this sometimes, ONCE. The judge would have clearly heard me tell her to back off, speaking up is not against any rule, you need to call it just like a fence sometimes...like "I am inside you" or " Outside, don't cut me off" or here "don't run up on me". Or you could have SPED UP a little given the circumstances???

Staying OFF the rail, like down the quarter line if the jumps allow it as well as constantly monitering the position of others works a whole lot better then pasting yourself to the rail and expecting others to go around you-especially if the horse is faster then yours...and you CAN circle between jumps if needed.

And, that red headed mare remark? Are we to assume avoidance of all red headed mares is a given because they are all bad mannered idiots with tempers? ALL horses will kick if we put them in a situation where they have to defend themselves.

In any show, you have to assume you will share that ring with others who are nervous, may be having horse problems or are simply very novice riders who are clueless. You have to ride defensively and not put you or your horse pasted to that rail and just expect others to stay away from you.

So, yeah, it was fair. Kicking is bad manners and you were in a position to avoid it if it happened at least TWICE in this tiny class.

Why you are concerned over who was 6th, 7th and 8th in a small class of eight-"beating" you- escapes me.
                                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

This sounds like a situation in which a little polite verbal cue would have been wise. I've been known to call out an "excuse me," "heads up," or "my horse kicks" when someone traps me like that. Obviously, if a judge hears you, they may count it against you. But I'd rather that than be pinned against the rail when the kicking match begins.

Comment

Working...
                                        X