• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What annoys you at shows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What annoys you at shows?

I'm being curious so...what annoys you at shows? Can be riding related, horse related, people related, anything!

Mine:

1. I hate it when people display their ribbons on there belt all day to show off how good they did. I mean seriosly, put them on the banner or your horses stall!

2. I hate it when people say "I should of won th class, the winner sucked." and you were the winner and they say it right in front of you.

3. I hate it when people cut you off on a flat class.

4. I hate people who cut you off and ignore you when you say "Outside" or "Inside" in the schooling ring. (I had a grand prix rider who was riding without a helment trotting and cantering around while talking on his cell phone cut me off, i was pissed.)

5. I hate rings that are so small that you have like a stride before the turn to get your lead chane.

6. I hate it when I'm haveing a bad day and everybody says "It's okay your riding great" when im not, to try to cheer me up.

7. Kids with push button ponies that go into the ring, ride terribly, but there ponies automatic lead changes and consistant stride wins the class. i mean wouldn't you rather win knowing you deserved it and had to ride for it instead of your pony winning it by being easy!

So whats yours?

The crazy warm up rings, drive me nuts.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." ~ Albert Einstein~

Comment

When my horse shakes his head just as I'm at the end of the braid!
      "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
      Working Student Blog
      Current Blog

Comment

While I understand trainer conflicts, I hate when rings are held up for a trainer, a few minutes even 10 -20 is okay, but when rings are held for 45 minutes for the same barn over and over! Once in a while I can deal with, but show after show, year after year, tells me that the big name barn needs to hire more people!! Or go first so no conflicts!

Comment

Rather than preface it with "I hate...", I'll just say that I LOVE hard start times. I also love PA systems that allow the ringmaster(s) to tell the barns what is going on.

At HITS this past week, there was a ton of rain one day and a lot of people scratched, but there was no announcement back at the barns about when my class would be starting. I got down there at the time that the ringmaster had told me and had not only missed my course walk, but was on deck because 12 people before me had scratched. The next day, I made sure to be early because the footing was still bad, but ended up having my horse down there 40 minutes early (and anyone who knows HITS Saugerties and where the silver stabling is knows that 40 minutes isn't really enough time to go back to the barn) because the other class was running late and there was no announcement. Not good.
          Last edited by supershorty628; Aug. 3, 2009, 08:23 AM.
          http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
          Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
            While I understand trainer conflicts, I hate when rings are held up for a trainer, a few minutes even 10 -20 is okay, but when rings are held for 45 minutes for the same barn over and over! Once in a while I can deal with, but show after show, year after year, tells me that the big name barn needs to hire more people!! Or go first so no conflicts!

I showed yesterday.. at a big, pretty competitive schooling show. Schooling closed, judge got on the judge's stand, getting ready for first trip of the division. Trainer shows up late with her students, and the ring stewardess allows her in with her students to school. NEVERMIND that the division was ALREADY starting over 30 minutes late!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Had it been me, the ring wouldn't have been held, and I would've had to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
              While I understand trainer conflicts, I hate when rings are held up for a trainer, a few minutes even 10 -20 is okay, but when rings are held for 45 minutes for the same barn over and over!
              Bad ring steward and judge. There's no reason to wait for the start of any class. If you're ready, you're ready. If you're late...too bad. Some stables are notorious for their trainers keeping everyone waiting...WBTA (Washington Bridle Trails Assoc) shows are horrid for prima-donna trainers keeping people waiting and the show heirarchy are pathetic in keeping things moving.

I hate dogs at horse shows...I don't ride at their dog show, they don't need to be at my horse show.

Feral kids are annoying...get a babysitter if you can't watch your BCP failures.

Food and Photos...we aren't talking Julia Child cuisine and Ansel Adams quality photography...$3 weenies and $2.5 cans of pop are a wonderful reminder to bring a cooler.
              "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

1. People who use you as a speed bump to stop their run-away, out of control horse.

2. Bad footing.

3. When plenty of people are standing near the in gate obviously ready to go but no one will. Going first isn't always that hard. (and yes, I do often go first myself)

4. When it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to do a course change.

5. People who go over the course loudly and say it WRONG.

Comment

Thankfully this doesn't happen at our A shows but it happens continually on our B circuit:

The back to back order of go is not posted for the next division until it's practically starting. Show management often expects EVERYONE to be ready (like we were 20 years ago when back to backs didn't exist & there were 6 of us) at the beginning of the division which is ludicrous for back to backs with even 15 horses in the division. If you're in the last group, you're looking at about 12 horses to do 4 trips which is roughly an hour & a half.

Which consequently, makes it hard to plan if you have students showing in multiple rings.
                  \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Comment

When the ring is held up, like someone else said. I've waiting upwards of 45min to an hour many of times. What I can't understand is if there are others in the class ready to go why can't they just go????? This is why I love dressage. If your not there at your ride time then oh well you miss it and your SOL.
                    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Snobby or catty kids! I took my horse up to Dorset last Tuesday for my trainer to school. My daughter was standing next to the bleacher watching the schooling and there was 2 teens sitting there. One teen says to the other "OMG - did you see the girl in the purple shirt? She did six in a seven stride!!!" Other teen replies "OMG - that's like almost illegal".

My daughter walked away laughing.

Comment

What bugs me?

Checking out in the show office, not the people or even the wait, just writing the check!!!

Comment

1. VPL
                          2. Trainers yelling at their clients
                          3. Stage-mothers
                          4. Hurry up and wait.....and wait.....and wait....HJ shows in the US are very inefficient.

Comment

Welcome to the Hunter-Jumper world...

Comment

We did a really small schooling show yesterday in the pouring rain, and they were nice enough to hold several classes for us because we made up half of the show. It normally has way more people, but because of the rain, most folks stayed home. (Couldn't really blame them!) Our tardiness was partially due to us getting the show's start time wrong, most early divisions were cancelled, and also the fact that my friend was in an accident with her trailer the other day, so we had to scramble to find extra trailers to use. My trailer ride got to the barn late and I literally got to the show right before my division. No warm up, no nothing. I hate getting to a show late and not getting proper warm-up.

I don't mind riding in the rain, but I'm really not a fan of riding in sloppy footing. Neither is my horse, which was compounded by the fact that she's in season and my normally forward mover turns into a complete deadhead.

I don't care for it when the judge and ring announcer carry on a conversation or commentary over the loudspeaker while the classes are going.

I don't like it much when, just because it's a schooling show, there isn't someone to run out and fix jumps, which causes you to miss your last jump since no one came out and fixed the first jump that you knocked over.

I'm not a huge fan of parents who park their strollers right next to the arena causing several horses to spook (granted, the horse DOES need to get over it already, meaning MY horse needs to get over it. ). Their kid is competing against you in the class, beats you, and then they come up and ask you, "Oh, we didn't cause you to mess up too badly, did we?" Yeah, you probably did, but whatever. Yes, it's my fault for riding like crap and my steddy eddy horse for kind of being a nerd, but please...when your kid rides horses/ponies that could probably go in and do the classes by themselves without a rider (ie. former state champions, etc.) , and your kid has a tendency to ride up on my butt even though the ring is huge, I'm a little sensitive. Although your apology is probably well-meaning, I'd just rather not hear it at the moment.
                              Last edited by see u at x; Aug. 3, 2009, 10:27 AM.
                              "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

Here's what I don't like:

1. Nutsy schooling in the warm up time period -- what happened to always passing left shoulder to left shoulder, calling jumps and just generally watching out for other people?

2. Waiting and waiting and waiting for trainers from other ring or for people to get their acts together -- there is NO REASON for this -- never used to be that way -

3. People who walk out of the ring after the hack and STAND at the in gate -- MOVE OUT OF THE WAY so people can get out of the ring

4. Same token - people who stand AT the ingate on horse when they aren't going, aren't on deck - heck half the time they aren't even in the class -- just hanging at the gate -- MOVE

5. No schooling area - this has happened a couple times to us at local shows lately-- no jump to pop over just before you go into the ring, no place to warm up before class -- we use the local shows to introduce greenies to the show environment and they really need a little hop over a x-rail or something before they go into ring

6. And can I just mention the waiting again? Its really getting unreal at some shows - local schooling show - we were riding in the dark because people were just slow about getting tacked up and on and up to the ring - nobody seemed bothered by it -- drove me nuts

Comment

I don't even know where to start, and although I name off all of these things I am sure that there are things I do that annoy people

1. Coaches who think that when their student is going around the show ring it is ok to coach them as if it were a lesson

2. When the show decides to stick all three pony sizes in one warm up ring (kind of hard when you have 30 + larges, 20+ mediums etc)

3. People (especially kids/teens) who watch rounds and basically pick it apart and comment on everything negative about the round, the rider, and the horse/pony

I have tons more but those are just a few

Comment

If you survive the schooling putting up with the trainers that scream at the top of their lungs to get the point across. I think it is disrespectful to the student but to everyone else there.

Parking at a schooling show when you have left enough room for horses and someone pulls up right beside not leaving any room. This happened yesterday to me and their horse tried to kick my horse. The trainer told me that her horse didn't like my horse. UGHH...

This irritates me more than anything when folks are talking that they should have won the class because they were better. We all have our opinions but so does the judge. You win some and lose some that is part of showing. We have all been there.

Comment

Individuals that decide to give a short stirrup kid a lesson over cross poles in the middle of the warm-up ring when the warm-up ring is filled with people that are actually trying to warm up for their class!

Comment

Originally posted by Canadapony View Post

3. People (especially kids/teens) who watch rounds and basically pick it apart and comment on everything negative about the round, the rider, and the horse/pony

Especially when you see them ride later in the day and they by no means did any better than the person that they were commenting on. We all have opinions, and for the sake of being polite we keep many of them to ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                        X